Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Binowru posted:

:saddowns:

Well, thanks for the advice. I bought this game based on the recommendation of a friend who plays a lot of RPGs and said it was one of the best he's ever played. I'll be on the lookout for that battle, though.

I like the game a lot, but I don't remember specific advice for you. The final boss sucks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
This may seem pretty obvious, but do not play Gears of War 2 before you try Gears of War. While they're both great games, the single player in GoW2 is VASTLY superior to the original, in nearly every way. This makes it a bit hard to appreciate how good the original probably was when it was released.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Corridor posted:

So my question is... does the game really suck, or did I? I mean, I know that I did, but did the game also suck? Is the game worth the price of postage and the looooong wait and constant reminders to my friend?

I think Sunshine is widely considered the worst 3D Mario game, largely because of the jetpack. Personally, I thought it was pretty great, but the bonus levels without the jetpack were like, 10 times harder since I'd gotten used to using it to precision aim jumps.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

casual poster posted:

anyone know if prince of persia, the 360 version, is worth finishing? so far it has sucked, not as fun as the first one was, the battle system sucks, and you basically just follow a path the whole time. Story is horrible so far.

If you aren't having fun, don't bother. The ending is infuriating at best, and the gameplay never changes.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I just started playing Star Ocean 4 on the Xbox, and after beating the first boss, I realized that the BEAT system is a separate set of levels for each character.

Should I work on leveling both BEAT up at the same time, or just focus on one?

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mikan posted:

I bought a PS3 tonight with holiday money and grabbed two games, Valkyria Chronicles and Folklore. Anything I should know about those two?

Valkyria Chronicles

The level scores are entirely based on turn number. Kill the enemies with stars next to their info cards at first, as that lowers the number of action points the computer gets. Likewise, always use Rosie, that..uh..Lancer guy, as they give you stars.

There was other suggestions earlier in the thread, so if you have search hunt them down. Be prepared for anything, because later levels seem designed to screw you over halfway through a LOT.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hey, any tips on how to start in X3: Terran Conflict?

The game seems pretty awesome, but slow-moving and.. a bit confounding.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Grundma posted:

I'd like a few tips on this one too, I picked it up before the steam sale ended and I know it has a reputation for being hard to get the hang of.

After asking, I found the thread for the game, which has a few useful tips. Also, I recommend reading the manual, as there are a lot of tips in that thing. Still don't know what I'm doing, though. :)

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Backhand posted:

Play it while hanging out with friends amd mock it mercilessly as you do. It's a blast, then.

This is solid advice. Sitting by yourself, it's a lot of "these people are paid to voice act?!" With friends you can at least spend a good chunk of time mocking Lymle for being constantly completely baked. And you get a catgirl, robot man, angel-girl, and uh... I don't know what she is yet, we just call her 'Boobs'. Oh, Japan!

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

No no that's Star Ocean 4. I bought Star Ocean 3 because I found a list of characters and discovered that it is a JRPG where none of the characters are catgirls or have hairstyles that have to be held in place with lead paint and chicken wire.

Ah, my bad. SO3 is pretty enjoyable as long as the twist doesn't piss you off. Game lost me there. Towards the mid/end of the game it gets very easy to break things with the item creation system.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Quarex posted:

Regarding Liara in Mass Effect 2, it seems like they decided to turn her into another generic quasi-evil schemer, so the fact that she is relegated to an unimportant side role (assuming nothing changes too dramatically) is fine for me.

But I did give in and talk to Miranda, so that was something. Even if I cannot tell what the upgraded mineral scanner actually does differently than the old one.

I didn't get the right dialogue in my first playthrough, but apparently Liara is directly responsible for Cerberus recovering your remains instead of the Shadow Broker selling you to the Collectors. I think she plays a pretty significant role, especially since the Shadow Broker stuff will probably come to a head next game.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Finally got around to playing Castle Crashers. Any tips for it?

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Wang posted:

Fallout 3
Avoid getting the instant level perk, if you're doing the side quests you'll get a ton of xp and reach the level cap way before you finish the main quest so use the perk for something more fun.

If you're playing on a console and care about achievements/trophies, just cheat to get the good/neutral/evil level-based ones. (Save before you level, kill some people/make some donations, level as normal. I kept my scrap metal for the instant XP.) Fallout 3 has a LOT of content and by the time you completely explore it you'll probably be a bit over-exposed to the game.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
You can't gently caress up Fable 2. You can max all trees pretty easily before the end of the game anyway.

I liked the shock spell (I think level 2 was when it got an area to it) and then spent most of my points in Strength, but all three are usable.

Buy all the property you can.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

m2pt5 posted:

You can also make some pretty awesome grenades out of it. (And if you have Broken Steel, you can take the Nuka Chemist perk later on to automatically convert every 10 bottles of regular Nuka Cola into one Quantum, which makes both the quest and making the grenades much easier.)

But NOT Chilled Nuka Cola. So if you're going for this perk, don't put a Cola machine in your house/apartment as it will screw you over.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

HondaCivet posted:

Final Fantasy XIII tips

Haste is fantastic, use the Auto-Haste item as soon as you can (Speed Sash, I think).

Once you get to Chapter 11 your first inclination will be to start the side missions and kill Marks. Do that if you like, but I recommend waiting until later. You can return later and it makes the Marks a lot more fun, in my opinion, when you don't have long fights on the field between every one of them.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

rivals posted:

You don't need to do the marks for the experience, seriously. I didn't do a single one and I didn't struggle with story bosses. BUT it made my life loving hell when I came back to them later. At least do the waystone ones (in orange on the map). Without those it's a huge loving pain in the rear end to travel.

Yeah, that's worth addending. Do the marks you come across on the way through Chapter 11, past the big open area. Several of those are teleports, and walking sucks.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Just use the hints when you get stuck, and in One, look under the table, not on the stove. You'll get it when you get there and save yourself a lot of rage.

Man I think I was using the in-game hints at the time and that really pissed me off.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Just started Far Cry 3, and it's pretty great. Any tips?

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
How about Ori and the Blind Forest?

I remember talk about a few unrepeatable sections that contain collectibles, but I have no idea when to expect them. Did the Definitive Edition fix those?

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Any tips for My Time at Portia?

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

flatluigi posted:

also you probably should eventually play all three major routes because that's how the game is meant to be played

I mean, sure, you should, but it’s a really long rear end game.

Just pick one, and if you love the game you’ll come back and play the other two. I played edelgard and really enjoyed it and then I stalled out halfway through a claude run. I’ll get back some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

ahobday posted:

Can you say more about what you'd expect to happen? I assumed I knew what you meant, but if I search for "pikmin" I get suggested results for "Pikmin", so I think it's already case insensitive.

I typed in ‘dre’ to try and find Dredge tips and it doesn’t pop up. Turns out the game is DREDGE. It will show up if you search ‘dredge’ though.