Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry
More questions about Disgaea DS. What the gently caress is transmigration and when should I bother with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry

glod posted:

I'm about to start playing Skies of Arcadia (Legends version on the GameCube if that matters). Any tips?

If you care about your in-game title "Vyse the _____" never run from a battle, open *every* treasure chest, and GameFAQ the stupid mine dungeon. If you are trying to get 100% discovery completion, get a location guide and do them as soon as you have access to whatever area they are in. You can get scooped by Domingo and lose your discovery reward (until a certain plot point happens, at which point you can take your time).

Try and figure out ahead of time which characters will be the healer(s) and specialize your magic that way. Save all the "seeds" you find until you know who you want to specialize in what stat.

Catching fish can be fun, but isn't worth it if you're only doing it for the cash.

Kill loopers when you can, they drop mad cash.

Do the Doctor + little girl with a bird sidequest, it will get you the black/white map way early in the game, which is key to avoiding random battles. Not to mention the other insane amount of loot you get from finding food for her bird.

For the love of god, save before challenging any bounty. You always have the option to "walk away" when you meet a new bounty. Do so, save, and then go try and kick their rear end. Bounty battles and the black spot battles are the hardest part of the game, bar none. Final bosses don't even compare.

Don't ever sell the "special" weapons. Aka tuna cutlass, lolipop-marang...

Magic works weird in this game, and I'll talk about it a little so it's not so confusing, but feel free to skip ahead if you already know. Every weapon in the game can be any of the 6 moon colors at any time. You can even switch the color mid-battle. These colors are how your team learns new magic spells. If everyone is using purple weapons, then your entire team gets lots of purple magic experience, which will get you new ice spells. If 2 people are using yellow and 2 people are using blue weapons when the battle ends, the entire team will get an even amount of yellow and blue magic experience. I originally thought that whatever character was holding the weapon would get magic experience correlating with that color, but this is false, it is team-wide experience. Basically you want the entire team to use one color because you get a bonus for more people using one color at time. Max out green first since that is your healing / regen / poison stuff, and after that it's up to you.

Ship battles are complicated but can be a lot of fun, I suggest reading a FAQ on it. The short of it is, you can have every character do 1 action per turn, similar to normal combat. You want vyse and anyone with high ATK to fire the main cannons (torps and side cannons it doesn't matter), and you want fina or anyone with high MAG to cast spells.

I have more advice but I gotta run. Hit me up on gmail/aim if you have any questions, I absolutely love Skies of Arcadia and enjoy giving advice on it. I've played it through twice, once on Dreamcast (and thus found out the hard way you can't 100% complete discoveries) and once on Gamecube. GC version is better, no two ways about it. Lots of extras. You're in for a treat!

P.S. don't fret too much about moonberry spending, but I can tell you right now most of Drachma and Fina's stuff isn't worth it. Definitely get pirate's wrath and delta shield, as well as royal shield.

Pyrocat fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 2, 2009

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry
oh and this site is pretty useful, although very old and poorly designed.

http://soaworld.rpgplanet.gamespy.com/Index.htm

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry
Any tips for Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis? Just picked it up on the GBA and it doesn't have much of a tutorial.

edit: I just realized I posted in this thread 9 years ago asking about Disgaea. The more things change, eh?

Pyrocat fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 11, 2017