Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Odin
Dec 31, 2006

Ask me about my great raven...

Binowru posted:

I'm about to start Rogue Galaxy for the PS2 if anyone has some tips they'd like to share.

Ignore the naysayers, for starters. The game doesn't have an incredibly nuanced storyline, but Rogue Galaxy is more or less the last great RPG for the PS2.

- Don't be afraid or hesitant to buy every weapon and max out its XP bar. At best you can combine them for new items, at worst you get XP and work toward filling your bounties. Bear in mind, however, that Jaster's best weapons are all special unique swords with 4 versions. Just look up the powerup combinations.
- Beware the boss fight in the mines on Vedan. This is where the aforementioned melee vs. gun fight takes place. Block like crazy, judiciously heal, and be very patient.
- Keep well stocked on healing items, because the difficulty curve can spike or valley at a whim. Sometimes you'll have no problem rocking everything, and then you'll walk into a fight where the enemy has a damage shield and spams AOEs. Always take out the jump-to-hit (you'll understand when you fight them) enemies first in any fight.
- Jaster's damage boost skill (I forget the name but he gets it early) makes him very powerful. In fact, a good strategy against any boss or tough enemy with no special defenses is to have every character use a damage buff and go to town.
- AOEs kinda remove most of the difficulty in the game. While not useful against bosses or certain enemy types with special defenses, AOE attacks such as Deego's Air Raid will ruin everything else, even into the depths of the endgame dungeon. It's entirely possible to enter a battle and win it with one spell. Whether you abuse this is up to you, but it tends to make dungeon exploration a lot smoother.

And I don't get how people can die against the last boss :psyduck:, at least until Jaster's portion of the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU