Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.
Grid
  • Always hold off on new races until you can afford one of the better cars for that event. You wouldn't think it would make a significant difference, but it will, especially when you've got a team like Ravenswest competing.
  • Don't do driver events where you drive for another team, unless it's for the Le Mans because you can't afford a car to participate yourself. You'll acquire money and renown much faster driving for yourself.
  • Speaking of the Le Mans, participate and do well. You get some extremely valuable sponsors from it. Remember, the race is very, very long, so you don't need to be in first place the whole way if you can regain it. You're racing by class, so the cars against which you must excel will not significantly exceed yours in performance.
  • Conquer one region at a time, unless you absolutely can't stand a race you need to beat. Again, moving up in tiers opens up extremely well-paying races and sponsors.
  • The AI is extraordinarily willing to knock you the gently caress out of the way, and in almost every race there's no penalty for their doing so. Do not get between an AI car and their chosen line, or they'll sweep right across and send you spinning. Speaking of collisions, in the Touge race, get ahead of the other car, then force them to ram you. They'll take a huge time penalty, which will allow you to take the rest of the race carefully and win on time. This is especially useful in the East-meets-West Viper vs. Honda or whatever challenge, because the Viper is heavy as poo poo.
  • Test drive your cars to get a feel for how they'll respond to your chosen control settings. The cars may not be realistic, but they do tend to be consistent, so learning how to handle a car once- well- will usually set you for future races.

Rome - Total War
  • Be the Romans. This is a no-brainer.
  • Hire mercenary hoplites to bolster your forces. Let them do the dying. Roman infantry is generally too valuable to be sacrificed lightly.
  • Heavy infantry in the center, light infantry on the flanks. Always fight on the defensive. Cavalry should be in the rear, and should sweep out to protect your flanks and attack theirs once the battle is joined. Don't throw away your general, because if he dies, your morale drops like a rock.
  • Don't be afraid to maintain a second line of reserve infantry behind. You can order your first line to disengage, and while it won't be pretty, you can often save a tired unit by having them run through your second line. Just don't forget to order the reserve unit to fill the gap.
  • Flanks are extremely vulnerable. Keep yours clear, always pummel your opponent's. This is especially true with hoplites. If you're charging the front of a hoplite, you're doing it wrong, and will die.
  • Always have a unit or two of light cavalry to run down fleeing survivors and skirmishers. Don't let the enemy retreat with intact units. Try and kill them to the last man if you can- especially archers and other annoyances.
  • The artillery you can bring with your units is next to useless against walls, but gently caress if it doesn't kill enemy soldiers like the dickens. Scorpions on a hill can fire over long distances, with fair accuracy, and skewer whole columns at a time. Once they get experienced- which they will quickly, if you don't let them die like a retard- they'll fire faster, further, and more accurately. You can have a battle half-over before the melee starts.
  • When fighting Carthage, bring skirmishers- Velites, specifically. Use them against elephants. They're cheap, so it's worth losing a unit of them to cause to rampage a unit of elephants- especially when those elephants are still among enemy troops.
  • You can try the manipular formation (line each of Velites, Hastati, Principes, Triarii, each falling back through the other when tired) if you're a masochist. I'd recommend Principes in the center, Hastati on the flanks, and Triarii in reserve, with Velites as skirmishers. Get archers if you can find them, because they'll outrange your Velites. Post-Marian, your units will homogenize- while simultaneously growing in effectiveness- meaning that you can pretty much just build big lines and crush the hell out of them.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl
  • Distance is your friend. Get a rifle as soon as possible and use it. The first assault rifles you'll encounter are on the Military soldiers underneath the bridge in the area out in which you start. Using a suppressed pistol, you can kill their leader when the other soldiers look away and steal his rifle and gear.
  • Once you get to the Duty camp, the first thing you should do is go through to the warehouses. A bunch of Duty soldiers will ambush a group of Freedom guys, who will drop the best weapons you'll find for a while. Steal their weapons and ammo, keep the best rifle in the best condition, and sell the rest to buy more supplies.
  • Always fight from behind cover. Find cover over which you can shoot when crouched, but behind which you're hidden while low-crouched. Pop up, shoot a guy in the head, crouch, reload. Rinse and repeat. Grenade use is not a significant concern in this one, unlike in the prequel.

John Pastor fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 29, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.

ultrachrist posted:

I'm about to start playing Hitman: Blood Money if anyone wants to mention anything.

Hitman - Blood Money
  • Your melee skills are insanely useful. You can disarm and knock unconscious any enemy by getting right up to them with empty hands and just clicking like a nutcase. Plus the headbutt looks awesome.
  • You can throw any knife you can pick up. I think the button for throw is T or G or summat- check the options menu- and doing this will instantly kill any enemy, and will do so silently. Uh... if you hit them, anyway. The knife has a bit of an arc to it.
  • Shoving anyone over anything will kill them. It doesn't matter if the fall is a foot or a mile, if they complete a full turn over the railing/low wall/whatever a script will kill them instantly before they even hit the ground.
  • You should pretty much always be wearing a disguise. Especially outfits with low-cut tops, even if only to admire 47's incredible physique :swoon:
  • There are no missions in the game that require a gun, but almost all of them are a lot more fun with your .45. Combining magnum ammunition with a high-quality suppressor on any weapon will give you a quiet weapon that shoots easily through doors and sends corpses flying. Incidentally, your shotgun is completely pointless. Never waste money on it.
  • If you've played the earlier Hitman games, this one is much more open-ended, so never be afraid to take your time and explore the area. There are only two missions that I remember where there's an absolute time limit for an event; for the others, events are on cycles. If you miss something that you thought gave you an opportunity, wait around for a while and see if it repeats.
  • Hide corpses. You will never feel stupider than when you're six feet from a level exit and some adventuresome douchebag stumbles across the unconscious waiter you left in a bathroom surrounded by piles of clothes and six discarded revolvers.
  • Pursue Lu Bu. Under all circumstances.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

Mr E posted:

Does anyone have any tips or mods that I should get for the first time through Rome- Total War with both expansions? I've played Civ IV before, if that would help me on the world map any.

Oceanside cities are incredible for your economy. If you can get your hands on the Aegean Peninsula and Italy, you'll be basically set for cash. Keep upgrading your docks and roads. Identify cities with strong farming or mining bonuses and focus your farm/mine upgrades there.

I don't think they ever fixed the issues with overpopulation: eventually, your cities will grow so huge that they'll have massive negative happiness scores and will become basically unmanageable. You can either dick with the game files to fix this or abandon the city, let it revolt, recapture it, and then massacre the inhabitants. It's not pretty, but it's sometimes the only way to keep a city under control. Toward the later stages of the game, you can find yourself doing this about once every five years for cities like Rome or Athens, who tend to grow very, very quickly.

Plan your conquests one at a time. If you can expand consistently in one direction, you'll avoid the efforts of shifting around your powerful stacks and managing reinforcements in several directions simultaneously. Veterancy bonuses are incredibly potent, and having several legions of upgraded gold-chevron troops in a single stack will make you very difficult to overcome.

Speaking of veterancy, if you're Rome after building your first Imperial Palace you will undergo the reforms of Gaius Marius, which will turn your Republican tripartite armies into Imperial Legions. Your former troops will no longer be buildable or reinforceable. It sucks, but the troops to which you gain access following the event are stronger than those you used before, and you'll gain from it in the long run.

Divide and conquer. You can often bait enemy armies and slaughter them piecemeal. Try not to fight enemy armies where they can pile on you, because even with Rome's so-so AI you can get overwhelmed, especially if attacked from multiple directions by Roman Legions or Hellenic Hoplites.

Always have some cavalry in your stacks, even if you don't use it at all in the line of battle. Your infantry will not be able to effectively run down its fleeing counterparts, whereas cavalry will ruin poo poo. If you can rout an enemy army and kill off all their missile units while they retreat, you can walk all over them in follow-up attacks.

Speaking of which, two attacks in a single round will allow you to destroy an enemy stack. The first attack will cause them to retreat; the second will kill them.

Don't let AI reinforcements enter the battle with a general about whom you care at all, especially a king/emperor or other member of the royal family. The battle AI will rush your general and his bodyguards into the thick of battle and you will lose a seven-star commander and you will hate all programmers ever. If you absolutely can not keep reinforcements out of the battle, charge the enemy before your fellows can get there. Your legions can be replaced; your generals largely can not.

Ship-to-ship battles almost always come down to number of ships and veterancy. Build lots of ships if you plan to fight on the sea and sacrifice half of them in battle to turn the rest into veterans. They can be reinforced like ground units, so keep them at full strength as best you can.

Pin them in the center than roll up the flanks. There is no circumstance to which this is not applicable. It's certainly the quickest way to beat hoplites.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

Velociraper posted:

So I got a weird RTS boner and I figured I'll dust off the Starcraft battle chest or whatever that I never used because I was a fighting game addict when I got it. So what should I know about Starcraft?

Starcraft multiplayer is pretty much all about build order. The good players have some set series of actions that they follow right at the beginning of the game, then they scout to figure out what their opponent is doing, then they have some build order to counter whatever they see occurring- rush if the opponent is turtling, counter-rush if he's rushing, expand if he's staying passive, that sort of thing. The best piece of general advice I can give you is to not be afraid to expand to secondary bases to increase the efficiency of your resource gathering and move some of your eggs out of their single basket. Also, scout early and scout often. You need to know where your enemy/enemies is/are and what he is/they are doing.

The best thing you can do is play skirmish matches and focus on your early game, making sure that you can control all your construction units efficiently and get buildings and troops as quickly as possible. Once you're good at the starting portion of the game, you can start trying out your army combinations, figuring out what works against whom and how to micromanage your troops to overcome the enemy.

You'll learn more against players, generally speaking, but will also be more frustrated, because many of the people still playing Starcraft at this point have been playing for years and are extremely good at it. Skirmishes against hard AIs can teach you plenty at the beginning, but getting good at fighting the AI won't make you good at fighting other players.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

Nocturne Sabre posted:

Recently started playing Grid, seems pretty straightforward so far but I thought I'd ask here for any advice.

I posted some stuff a bunch of pages back, but I don't feel like hunting it down, so I'll briefly hit the salient points.

• Try to stay out of the way of the A.I., because they'll slam into your poo poo and send you hurtling off the course at a million miles per hour at a moment's notice. This also goes for your wingman/backup driver.

• The A.I. rubberbands a bit, but you can actually build up a strong enough lead that you can make some mistakes as the first-place driver and lose nothing but some buffer space.

• Incidentally, you need a good teammate, because there are a lot of races that are scored by team, and you're not winning that even if you get every first place if Ravenwest is consistently landing both second and third.

• Always do Le Mans. If you can't afford a car, drive another team's. The reputation and money you gain are exceptionally useful.

• Try to have the nicest car usable in a race. It really, really makes a difference.

• You can't have difference sponsors on your car and your teammate's car, so consider carefully whether it makes sense to have sponsors that demand, for example, a first-place finish, because only one of you is getting it.

• Be careful when you're using your Instant Replay that you back up far enough to allow you to avoid the crash. When you restart from a point in the past, I don't think you can rewind past that point with a subsequent use of Instant Replay- so if you get stuck, you're hosed.

• The physics are unrealistic, but largely consistent. The good thing is that you can learn how to drive the cars and do cool poo poo with them. The bad thing is that you don't get good with them by expecting them to behave like real cars.

Grid isn't a hard game, honestly. It's a gradual progression toward a greater goal, regardless as to whether you're a first-place winner in every race or just a consistent second- and third-place contender.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

Captain Beans posted:

Any critical mods or patches for Crysis? I just got a computer capable of making it look amazing and want to try it out.

I can't think of any good mods or patches, but definitely get up on the Tweak Guide to make it look and perform better. Simultaneously, even.

Actually, come to think of it, I think he mentions the 'Natural Mod' in that guide. That's a good one.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I had a question about Final Fantasy Tactics.

A lot of people recommend using Blade Grasp on your characters as a defense skill for mad evasion. Is there any reason not to use Hamedo instead? I like that my characters preempt enemy attacks, rather than just avoiding them.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

This Jacket Is Me posted:

Requesting Dead Space. I just picked it up for cheap and I'm in the first chapter.

Pick one or two guns and focus on them. Ammo only drops for the weapons you're carrying, and if you focus your upgrade nodes on fewer tools, each will be more effective.

You only need one or two air upgrades in your suit; other than that, the health upgrades are really useful.

Always carry an extra node or two around; there are locked rooms you can use them to access, and the rewards inside are more valuable than the node itself.

I'm sure this is mentioned plenty, but don't ever stop dismembering your enemies. There is no exception to this rule. Knock off a couple limbs, then stomp them into paste. The sound/animation for stomping are among the best things about the game.

Don't be afraid to use your stasis module regularly. There are refill stations scattered about pretty liberally, and there will almost always be one available during or just before a sequence requiring it.

Stomp suspicious corpses. Sometimes they're waiting for you to pass by before they leap up and chew off your buttocks.

This game uses a fair few jump scares, so keep your head on straight and murder until everything calms down. You'll get a hang of it pretty quickly.

Forgot one: Some enemies can move through wall/floor/ceiling vents. Don't fight with your back to one unless you like having monsters on your rear end every ten seconds or so.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

al-azad posted:

The two most important statistics for guns are accuracy (determines how far your bullet strays from your intended target) and handling (determines the recoil of each additional shot). The game simulates ballistics which means you have to lead targets (aim ahead of them if they're moving based on distance and angle) and something new players just can't seem to wrap their heads around is that, like a real gun, the recoil causes you to pull your shots upwards. If you aim directly at the head with an inaccurate gun, yes even from 10' away, your shot will whiz right past them and they'll unload like 30 shells into you before you can readjust your aim.

This is bogus. The first shot out of a real firearm goes almost precisely straight; the impulse of recoil doesn't significantly impact your aim until after the bullet has left the barrel. In STALKER, rifles shoot above the point of aim of the iron-sights because whoever coded the aiming in that game was retarded. It might make sense as the rifle being zeroed for a longer distance, but there's a reason firearms have adjustable iron sights. It's usually about half a centimeter high, and if you can anticipate that, you'll be right on your point of aim every time. There's no good reason not to use a firearm to the point where you can make consistent headshots and then relying on them.

Incidentally, a good rule of thumb for STALKER (at least in Call of Pripyat) is to float your target on the center dot of the front sight. Adjust for variable ranges; because bullets have simulated external ballistics, at two hundred yards or so the point of impact will fall back down to even with the front sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I heard that in GTAIV, there were annoying sidemissions where you had to go do crappy minigames with your friends. Are these in the episodes as well, and are they mandatory?

Keeping it alpha with Brucie is never annoying, bro.

If you really don't want to do them, wait for the friend to call, accept the request, then call them back and cancel. If you ignore them, or accept and don't show up, they get really pissy. It is kind of nice to get the friendship bonuses, so if you think you're interested, look up a FAQ or something for the bonuses and decide which friends are worth it to you, max out the friendship as quickly as possible, then use the accept-cancel method to keep the friendship at the highest level.