Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I'm just starting out on Metroid Prime 3: Corruption for Wii. I've heard I should scan everything and I've started out doing it but it seems kinda tedious. Is it really that important? Any other tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Anything for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 for PC?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Anything for Borderlands? Doesn't seem to be anything in the wiki.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

enigmahfc posted:

I just picked up Assassin's Creed 2. Anything I should be aware of before I get neck deep in this game?

I need a tip for this game. I played Assassin's Creed 1 and while it was OK, I never finished it because everything you do in the game was so repetitive. I wanted to like it but just couldn't. Will I find the same thing with the sequel?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I've just started Risen. It seems quite hard. Any missables or tips?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I have some tips for Risen. It's a decent game however it does a very bad job of explaining some things.

-The game has three main starting paths. Bandit camp, monastery and harbour city. These shape your character class however the game retardedly does not tell you this. If you go the bandit camp path you can choose a melee or ranged type of character. If you get into the monastery path, you become a mage type character. If you go to the city path you become a monk type character.

-A couple of crucial game mechanics for some loving stupid reason are not ever explained. For example, you can dig for treasure in small areas of cleared ground (need a shovel). You can uncover doors by clicking on some rings in dungeons or clicking on some rock walls with a pickaxe in your inventory (usually look like doorways).

-Get good at dodging and blocking.

-Keep all the stat boosting herbs. These can be made into potions which make them more effective.

-Alchemy is a must.

-Smithing only lets you make jewellery and swords. Still useful however.

-If you get high enough into the axe or sword mastery tree, you can wield 2H axes/swords in one hand.

-The highest that trainers can train your STR & DEX is 100. You can get above 100 through stat boosting equipment and potions. The cap is 200. Any stat boosting equipment counts towards both these caps. Eg you have 95 strength and wear a +5 ring for 100 total. A strength trainer will not let you add +5 strength until you take the ring off. You can only raise wisdom through reading bookstands and stone tablets.
As a corollary, keep all your stat boosting potions until you have trained up to 100 STR/DEX without any +stat items on.

-Only certain weapon trainers can get you to the maximum mastery.

-STR & DEX add directly to your weapon damage. STR for melee, DEX for ranged. Crossbows require STR to equip however get a damage bonus from DEX. Not sure how WIS works.

-Sneak is pretty much only good for stealing things in people's houses, skip it as you can get a ring that gives it to you. On PC, enable sneak with the LCTRL key (not sure what it is on console). Again, for some stupid loving reason the game doesn't tell you how to do this nor does it list this button in the key config in options.

-Acrobatics is useful for jumping off cliffs to reduce travel time. Again, you can find a ring that gives it to you.

-Jumping while you travel generally allows you to move faster than running. Exceptions are travelling up or down sleep slopes.

-When you are lockpicking chests/doors, the number of left/right actions for each lock is always equal. Eg. an easy lock has 4 actions (2L, 2R), medium has 6 (3L, 3R), hard has 8 (4L, 4R). So if you have a hard lock where the first four actions are LLLL, you know that the last four are RRRR.

Vidaeus fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 13, 2010

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Rirse posted:

What's some good advice for Alpha Protocol and Halo ODST. Got them both from Gamefly, and did the first twenty minutes of each game. By the way, the first mission's achievement never seem to unlock on Alpha Protocol.

For Alpha Protocol, these are my tips from my single playthrough:

Don't read any guides or reload saves to try other choices. Just play naturally and choose the dialogue options with whatever style of character you want, or choose random ones. The story seems to flow quite nicely and I don't think you end up getting gimped for choosing one way instead of another.

Stealth characters seem overpowered.

Go to Russia last as there is a lot of shooting and you'll probably have trouble if you start there.

Apart from that there's not much else. The game doesn't gently caress you up for making certain decisions and I thought it was good fun.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

Upgrade your villa as much as you can; it's amazing how much money you will rake in by mid-game.

Do this as soon as you can. Pour all your money into the villa first up.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

gmq posted:

Any tips for Risen?

I put some tips earlier in the thread. Posting now so I can click the little "?" next to my name and check as I don't know what page it's on.

EDIT: Found it:

I have some tips for Risen. It's a decent game however it does a very bad job of explaining some things.

-The game has three main starting paths. Bandit camp, monastery and harbour city. These shape your character class however the game retardedly does not tell you this. If you go the bandit camp path you can choose a melee or ranged type of character. If you get into the monastery path, you become a mage type character. If you go to the city path you become a monk type character.

-A couple of crucial game mechanics for some loving stupid reason are not ever explained. For example, you can dig for treasure in small areas of cleared ground (need a shovel). You can uncover doors by clicking on some rings in dungeons or clicking on some rock walls with a pickaxe in your inventory (usually look like doorways).

-Keep all the stat boosting herbs. These can be made into potions which make them more effective.

-Alchemy is a must.

-If you get high enough into the axe or sword mastery tree, you can wield 2H axes/swords in one hand.

-The highest that trainers can train your STR & DEX is 100. You can get above 100 through stat boosting equipment and potions. The cap is 200. Any stat boosting equipment counts towards both these caps. Eg you have 95 strength and wear a +5 ring for 100 total. A strength trainer will not let you add +5 strength until you take the ring off. You can only raise wisdom through reading bookstands and stone tablets.
As a corollary, keep all your stat boosting potions until you have trained up to 100 STR/DEX without any +stat items on.

-STR & DEX add directly to your weapon damage. STR for melee, DEX for ranged. Crossbows require STR to equip however get a damage bonus from DEX. Not sure how WIS works.

-Sneak is pretty much only good for stealing things in people's houses, skip it as you can get a ring that gives it to you. On PC, enable sneak with the LCTRL key (not sure what it is on console). Again, for some stupid loving reason the game doesn't tell you how to do this nor does it list this button in the key config in options.

-Acrobatics is useful for jumping off cliffs to reduce travel time. Again, you can find a ring that gives it to you.

-Jumping while you travel generally allows you to move faster than running. Exceptions are travelling up or down sleep slopes.

-When you are lockpicking chests/doors, the number of left/right actions for each lock is always equal. Eg. an easy lock has 4 actions (2L, 2R), medium has 6 (3L, 3R), hard has 8 (4L, 4R). So if you have a hard lock where the first four actions are LLLL, you know that the last four are RRRR.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Sylphosaurus posted:

So I finally recieved my copy of Divinity 2, 3 months after I ordered it from my usual webstore. What should skills and weapon styles should I focus on in the beginning?

"Quit Game". Seriously though, if anyone can provide some good tips to make this game enjoyable/playable, I'm all ears. I tried playing this twice to just outside the first town and quit because everything in the game from dialogue to combat just felt wrong. It's a game that seems like it might be decent but maybe I haven't gotten far enough for the fun to kick in?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I'm about to start a new game of Jade Empire for the first time. I remember there were some tips posted earlier on but I have no idea what page :(. Can anyone give me some spoiler free pointers?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Anything for King's Bounty: Armored Princess?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I think my post might have gotten missed at the bottom of the last page so I'll ask again about King's Bounty: Armored Princess.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Anything for Fallout: New Vegas? In particular, skill/stat recommendations or items I should hang onto? I've played Fallout 3 before.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Gerblyn posted:

I've just started playing The Last Remnant and I have a quick question. I'm running off with to go to some conference thing, and I've just gotten the ability to make 3 unions with 9 units. The 4 generals and Dave have joined the party, but I'm wondering if they'll actually stay in it this time? I've gotten enough people to fill all my unions without them, but I don't want to leave them under leveled if they're actually going to be permanent characters instead of disappearing at the next cutscene...

It is worth it to keep them in your unions. I haven't played it for a while so I can't remember if they will be disappearing again, but they are permanent members.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Anyone got anything for Demon's Souls? drat that game is hard and has me yelling at the TV.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I have never before played a Metal Gear Solid game before but am thinking of picking up 4 for the PS3. Will I be completely confused as to the story from the previous games? I don't have a PS2 so are there some LPs of the previous games I should follow before I start the newest game?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Dramatika posted:

Anything I should know before starting Deathspank?

Blocking is very useful.

Don't be afraid of using up your consumable potions & weapons, you pick up plenty.

Try to use your weapons in rotation (i.e. try not to attack twice in a row with the same weapon) to build up a multiplier. This does more damage and fills up your justice meter for the justice weapon you have equipped (purple ones that do special attacks).

You generally don't have to worry too much about cash and it didn't seem that useful to me.

There are two quest givers (one is a talking tree near a lumber camp, the other is a zombie or something next to an orque camp near the castle at the end). From memory, all the items they ask for are very close by and easy to find, either in the lumber camp for the tree, or the orque camp for the zombie. Don't waste your fortune cookies on these quests (I used up a few :()

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

pseudorandom name posted:

Gamebryo gets way too much flak for what is very clearly Bethesda's fault.

Remember, Gamebryo is only in charge of rendering, animations, input, etc.

Every time a quest gets hosed up, the NPC AI does something retarded, you get stuck on geometry or the game crashes, it is directly the result of Bethesda shipping a buggy game.

What is the go with all the crazy buggy physics then? One that happens ALL THE TIME across multiple Gamebryo games (Fallout, New Vegas, Oblivion), is that when you pick something off a table/shelf, every single other item on that table shifts. What the hell is up with that? You would think they would have been able to fix that across 3 different games.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

pseudorandom name posted:

Gamebryo object bugs

How is this not considered a bug? No other game I have played with physics does this. From what I've seen it is exclusive to Fallout, Oblivion, New Vegas.

It is distracting, breaks immersion and just plain looks poo poo.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Palpek posted:

Sorry but there are no graphical mods for this game. You know that there is an HD version for Xbox 360 right? It has higher resolution/widescreen support and HD textures.

I played it on my PC using a 360 controller no problem but I have the GoG version so I don't know how Steam compares to it. There is nothing to add when it comes to gameplay - it's streamlined and they explain everything, simply enjoy the world. This game is timeless and surprisingly modern. Maybe the only thing you should remember is that when you get a ranged attack - try it on different enemies/bosses/buttons etc. At first I forgot to use it and hacked everything in mellee and only later discovered that it makes certain fights much easier.

I tried playing the HD (trial) version on Xbox. I have heard it's a great game and it seemed to have some promise.

But as far as I could tell, there was no option to invert the camera vertical axis. That is a complete game breaker for me. You would think in this day and age, they would include something so simple, especially as they gave it a HD update.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

VodeAndreas posted:

Just started playing through Risen for the first time, anything I should be aware of? Looks like it should be some good fun.

Posting so I can check my post history as I put a whole bunch of Risen tips into this thread a fair while ago.

EDIT: Here they are.

-Alchemy is a must.

Vidaeus fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 15, 2011

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
In Nier, is there any point to fishing and doing the fishing sidequests?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Polite Tim posted:

Not really, unless you like catching poo poo/trophy grinding

That's a no and a no. Thanks.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
In Nier, what does weapon weight do?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

TheHawk posted:

I'm about to start Risen for the xbox360 and was looking for some tips. Big one I'm looking for is which of the three classes to choose. Thanks.

Empty posting so I can click the ? on my name and re-edit this post with stuff I posted earlier in the thread a couple times.

EDIT:

have some tips for Risen. It's a decent game however it does a very bad job of explaining some things.

-Alchemy is a must.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Just started playing Might & Magic Heroes VI last night. The only other game I have played in this genre is King's Bounty, and I loved it.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Does anyone know the syntax to use google search on this thread? I'd like to look up if there's any tips (I'm sure there are) on Shadow of the Colossus, but the wiki in the OP is currently down.

I think that it would be great if that was listed in the OP also.

Alternatively, can anyone list some tips for this?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Centipeed posted:

Here's the syntax I use:

site:forums.somethingawful.com intitle:"What Should I Know" "Game Name Here"

Also, my hosting actually gets spotty around the time you posted, every day. The server is in America, whereas I'm in the UK, and they run some kind of maintenance script on it at some early hour in the morning for them, which limits access somewhat.

Which means it starts being hard to access at about 10:30am GMT each day.

Thanks matey, that syntax works beautifully :)

And the site seems to be working again now too.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

redmercer posted:

You can, and should, go into Shadow of the Colossus as blind as possible. Maybe read the manual. Oh! There is one thing: It's a horse. Not a motorcycle. You only really need provide encouragement and the general direction in which to go.

Yep, the only thing I have read about it is that it is fantastic, and the few tips in this thread that basically say eat the lizards, eat some sort of fruit and not to worry about guiding the horse too much. Apparently it's fairly realistic when it comes to how horses actually handle in real life, in that they have their own mind and only need a bit of guidance (never really ridden one properly).

Killed the first two colossi, and I'm enjoying it so far!

Oh, and no manual, I downloaded it as the HD bundle with Ico off PSN. I guess I should probably ask if there are any tips for that while I'm at it? I'm thinking of alternating between the two as I start to get bored of one.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Anything for FTL? This game is fantastic.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Just got The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing on steam, any tips for that? The skill system seems a little confusing.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Anything for The Banner Saga?
EDIT: I mean anything above and beyond what's in the wiki?

Vidaeus fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 30, 2014

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I have a question for Dragon Age: Ultimate Edition. I see that the entry in beforeiplay.com says to keep some scrolls, garnets, corpse galls and love letters. Am I safe to sell all the other junk I collect that aren't crafting agents or gifts? E.g. Sapphires, goblets, etc.?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
The perks seem totally unecessary. Just little bonuses to add to whichever playstyle you choose.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

GhostBoy posted:

F.eks
f.inst.

Totally off topic, but for my curiosity's sake, what country do you live in, and what is your native language? I have never seen anyone use shorthand notation like this before. I am guessing the first one is "for example" and the second one is "for instance".

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Anything for Divinity: Original Sin. There's nothing on the beforeiplay.com website.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Thanks for the tips.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Male Man posted:

You can buy weapons for your crew and "loan" them out for a mission.

holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Anything for Dungeon of the Endless? This game is cool, but difficult.