Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I'm about to start Rogue Galaxy for the PS2 if anyone has some tips they'd like to share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

thanks alot assbag posted:

Return it.

Barring that, there's a one-on-one boss battle against an enemy who uses ranged attacks. You have to spend nearly the entire battle shielding and slowly inching closer to the enemy. It takes forever and this battle is what caused me to break and hate the game.

:saddowns:

Well, thanks for the advice. I bought this game based on the recommendation of a friend who plays a lot of RPGs and said it was one of the best he's ever played. I'll be on the lookout for that battle, though.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Bisse posted:

Advance Wars
* The C.O. powers are nuts.

Only in Dual Strike, though. By teaming up Eagle and Sami, you can potentially win any match from 21 spaces away by using their Double-CO power.

My favorite Dual Strike combo, however, was Kanbei and Colin: Kanbei's units are more expensive but stronger, Colin's units are cheaper but weaker. So what you do is buy units on Colin's turn, then switch to Kanbei to attack.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

aherdofpenguins posted:

I have pretty extensive experience with Konami's Guitarfreaks so hard isn't that much of a stretch, but I didn't know about the hammer ons and pull offs. I'll have to look into that. If you are/anyone is familiar with the Guitarfreaks series are there any other differences other than the obvious star power?

Doesn't the guitarfreaks controller have only three fret buttons? Learning to hit the other two with your pinky is going to be tougher than you think, especially once you try hard and expert and have to learn to shift your hand down. Try going from a Green-Yellow chord with your index and middle finger, straight to a Yellow-Orange chord with your middle and pinky fingers. It feels uncomfortable at first, but as you play more songs you get used to it.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

A couple more Xenogears tips:

When you first gain control of Fei at the beginning of the game, check under Fei's bed for free money.

When you fight the kid from your village at the Fighter's Tournament (or whatever it's called), just defend until the fight ends. Don't attack.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

In Star Ocean 3 I pretty much only used Maria once she enters your party. If you chain her spreadshot and homing shot over and over, you can get incredible damage really fast.

Also, I don't think anyone has explained how chain attacks in SO3 work yet. I had to have a friend show me this because I just didn't get it. Anyway, in SO3 you get two attack buttons (I forget precisely which ones they were but for the sake of this explanation let's assume it's X and O). You can assign a special attack to each button. Assign Spreadshot to X and Homing Shot to O (or vice versa, doesn't matter). Hold X, and as soon as you see Maria start the animation for her special attack, begin holding O. She'll immediately go into it, at which point you should hold X again. Do this until your attack meter (or whatever it's called) goes down and you have to let it recharge. This makes every battle, including the last boss, stupidly easy. This method works for any character, I just prefer Maria because she racks up huge damage and has ranged attacks.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Anything I should know about Okami for Wii or Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia for DS?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Wow, thanks for the quick replies everyone :)

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Requesting info on Crackdown for the 360. Also, I own and have played Gears of War 2 a lot, and I just got Gears 1. Any huge differences I should know about, gameplay wise?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Polite Tim posted:

Just got Soul Nomad and the World Eaters, any tips?

It's been a while since I played that game but I remember filling up a unit with nothing but mages is really overpowered. They get a really powerful offensive spell that you can use without even having to enter combat.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

wdarkk posted:

I could use a little more help/clarification with Phantom Brave.

First off, I have like 40 objects on top of the house and I haven't gotten any bottle mails other than the two you get at the end of each of the first two chapters.

Second, I could use advice leveling up new characters. I run into trouble trying to advance the plot because all my phantoms except Ash and a couple others are low level. Is there a way to advance levels really fast in the first 3 chapters?

Third, is there a way to get mana really fast yet? Or do I need to reach some later point?

If I remember right, the way to level up characters really fast is to generate a high-level random dungeon (one that Ash can handle but your other guys can't), and have Ash kill all the enemies on the level while just having your low-level guys present (be sure to keep them alive, though). Once you clear the level, the weak guys get HUGE exp bonuses just for being on a high-level stage.

Also, not positive about this, but I think one of the quickest ways to earn mana is to destroy objects on stages, the higher level the better.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Forklift Operator posted:

I borrowed my brother's old NES in addition to Mega Mans 1-6. This is my first time playing any Mega Man game. They're supposed to be hard an stuff, but which one is the LEAST hard to start? Also, any other general advice?

In Mega Man 2, beat Metal Man first. His weapon can shoot in six different directions, compared to the Mega Buster's pitiful two.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Vander posted:

What should I know about Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn before I play this game?

Ever played a Fire Emblem game before? If not, you should know that if one of your units dies, they die permanently. Fire Emblem tends to be very punishing of careless mistakes.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Big L posted:

Just finished playing through Silent Hill for the first time (yay PSN!) and am looking forward to playing Silent Hill 2.

Any tips or things I should watch out for?

During your first "fight" with Pyramid Head, you're supposed to just avoid him until a scripted event. He can't be killed. Ever.

Also, the ending, like in the first game, is influenced by actions you can take that won't seem to have an obvious effect. In SH2, these actions include things like how many times you look at your wife's picture in your inventory, how often you check on Maria when she's recovering in the hospital bed, etc.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

Killing the clown worked (only took like 4 hours of in-game time and a lipstick prop :psyduck:). That shortcut should be all I need.

Be sure to pick up his mini-chainsaws. One of the best weapons in the game, if not the best. You can even find their books that extend their durability. If you have all three books in your inventory, its life will be extended 27-fold, which is just ridiculous.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Managed to get my hands on Ico finally. I loved Shadow of the Colossus so I'm really looking forward to this. So what should I know?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Some Slim PS2s can't play it. Good luck :v:

The game started just fine. Thanks for the warning, though, and thanks everyone for the tips.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I'm about to do the new Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC for Mass Effect 2, and I'll be playing with a character imported from ME1 who had Liara as their romantic choice. Anything I should know?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Just picked up Fallout 3 and Assassin's Creed II, both on Xbox 360. School me. I already know I should probably be playing Fallout on a PC, but well, it was cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

They're not required to finish, but they're still worth doing on account of being kinda fun and you're definitely right about them being hard to find a second time. You CAN see landmarks on your map (they're a darker grey than the rest of the buildings) and you can get a list of which landmarks have glyphs on them (somewhere in the start menu, can't remember where exactly), but what you cannot do is see where exactly those landmarks are on your map; not every landmark will have a glyph. To make matters worse, sometimes the game won't tell you that a glyph is on a landmark (or even what the landmark is) when you approach it after the first time.

So unless you have a good memory, are taking notes, and/or have an above-average familiarity with renaissance Italian architecture, it might be a good idea to get the glyphs when you find them if you're interested in getting them all.

Or you could just use an FAQ.

Yeah I see what you mean. The game told me about a glyph while I was in the middle of a mission and I had to skip it. Now I don't know how to go back and find it. :( Guess I'll consult an FAQ eventually.