Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Finally decided to start playing Fallout 3 on the PC, after buying it during the Steam Summer Sale.

Are there any skills that are a big "no no" because they either never get used, or you have to get them so high it's pointless and you might as well use a different tactic?

I remember reading something about lockpicking somewhere...that either you really want to have a good skill level with it, or you don't want to bother at all because everything requires such a high level you're better off just opening the door by blasting it or bombing it, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Just started playing Hollow Knight (thank you, PSPlus,) and I'm several hours into it and it's been several hours of sucking.

I've made progress, finished (as best as I can tell) the Crossroads area, and most of the Greenpath, got into Fungal Wastes and City of Tears.

Apparently, I somehow got ahead of myself and got the Dreamnail already? All I know is, I was in a dark area in the Crossroads, bought the lantern, kept going and got to a big pit. I kind of knew I couldn't make the jump, even with a dash, but tried anyway and fell down the pit...I thought it would kill/respawn me like falling in acid...but I fell all the way down to the monument to the Dreamers (?), then got to the Resting Grounds and the Dreamnail.

But I'm basically now stuck just banging my head against either the Mantis Lords or some magic boss in the City of Tears soul area. I looked him up and he's really only technically a MINI boss, FML (Soul Warrior, looks like?). He keeps popping out of existence anytime I get close to try and land a hit. And it looks like after him is an ACTUAL boss, Soul Master, who is basically this guy on steroids? Great.

Are there some charms or spells or anything else I missed at this point that might make these fights easier? The only spell I have is the one that shoots soul at people. Or an area I should go to first? I found another area full of jellyfish that shoot a loving fireball at me when they die, but couldn't progress very far because of a weird black energy wall I couldn't get past.

I have a few charms, honestly none of them seem that helpful other than the one that vacuums up Geo. The dash one actually has frustrated me more than anything, since sometimes I accidentally dash down when I swear I am holding the left/right button. And so far, I don't think the shell one has blocked even a single attack when I've used it to try and heal. And the thorn one almost always does nothing since I'm knocked back when hit, and the thorns don't go out very far.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 12, 2020

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Just started Mad Max last night.

Can I assume I can ignore Judgement and that I'll naturally gain Legend levels at a quick enough pace to get unlocks?

Any skills that I should focus on first? For the first 3 upgrades I got from Mr.Creepy, whatever his name is, I did the "More Ammo", "More Water," and "More Scrap" because even though I play games with limited resources, I usually don't like mechanics like that so I try to mitigate them best I can.

But if you come in here and tell me the "More Scrap" only gives me like 5% more at max level or something, I'll gladly load an earlier save and get something else.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Just started Disco Elysium now that it hit PS Plus Extra, and a couple questions:

There are a metric gently caress-ton of info-dumps from talking to people, reading random books/magazines I see lying around, etc...
How much of that do I need to actually remember? Like, so many names of other countries/towns, old kings/rulers/generals, different factions in, like, two or three different wars...there's n o way I can keep it all straight. I'm just not sure if at some point there will be a conversation with a choice that depends on me remembering that Captain Doofus was the commander of the Faction-This-Fellow-Hates and I should insult him, or something.

Money. I read a few posts here and reddit about getting "soft locked" because you don't get enough money for the room, though maybe a recent update changed that? I begged enough from a few people (mostly Miss.Money-Bags on the docks) and got a few extra dollars from finding change and returning bottles, but I BARELY got the initial debt and then enough for the first night. I know I'll unlock more of the map and talk to more people, but should I be more gung-ho about selling stuff I don't think I'll need, like clothes who's bonuses/look I don't care about? Or maybe I should be begging even MORE?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

In case someone else starts playing Disco Elysium soon, here's a little thing I didn't know (and no one in this thread told me about when I asked! <:mad:>)

To get more "thought spaces" unlocked, you have to use one of your skill points to open it up.

There was never that orange indicator on the Thought Cabinet when I leveled up (or if there was I guess I never noticed), only on the Stats screen, so I never thought (heh) to look at the other screen for what else a new Skill Point could do. I assumed they were just for leveling up skills.

And I guess I also have to use a skill point to Un-learn a thought if I can't fit any more (not sure how that happens, but I guess since I was using all my skill points so far in my stats, I can see how other people would prioritize thoughts? I've been VERY slowly playing through this, still only on Day 3 (almost done Day 3) and I only have like five thought slots, only used two points on my thoughts so far.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

Horizon: Forbidden West just dropped for PC, anything I need to know?

There's some good posts in the Horizon FW thread by goon exquisite tea:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3991284&userid=115022&perpage=40&pagenumber=12#post538458780

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3991284&perpage=40&pagenumber=138#post538539004

The tips are mostly geared towards having played the first one...did you play the first one?