Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

CloseFriend posted:

Don't forget, this is probably as good a place as any to make requests if you don't feel like you're playing a game "right."

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I could use advice on Ultima 7 and Final Fantasy Tactics. :shobon:

So far as Final Fantasy Tactics, abuse the hell out of Ramza's Yell (and later Scream.) If a battle's giving you a tough time, use this as a crutch while you figure out a strategy.

If you have an archer (A) that you want to use to shoot some guy (B), who's too close, aim at square (C) directly in line with him- A.B..C. The arrow will hit B on the way to C.

Calculators are awesome, but they come later on.

There are plenty of other strategies, but you can play this game through in very very different ways, so it works best to try lots of things and work out your own style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

I'm about to start up FFX. I've watched a good amount of it but never played it myself, and I'd like to make Khimari less of a disappointment than he usually seems to be. From what I've read, there're worthwhile nodes in his area, but it seems like the MP isn't very worthwhile without some MP-burning skills to use it on. What can I do to make Khimari less useless?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Vander posted:

Any tips for Grand Theft Auto III, San Andreas, or Vice City? (Thank you, Steam!)

This works best in GTA III and maybe Vice City. Get yourself a tank. Rotate the turret until it's facing backwards. Fire the turret repeatedly while accelerating. You can reach sports car speeds with the tank and even complete some unique jumps with that sucker. As a bonus, any cars in your way on the road just explode when they come into contact with you. This can be done in San Andreas, but the tanks are less sturdy and the turret resets itself to the front automatically.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Oh, hey, one more GTA tip. If you get a vehicle flipped onto its side, you can often get it righted back properly by steering into the ground and hitting reverse. This can be especially helpful with ambulance missions, but you may find other uses for it.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Corridor posted:

I loved Metal Gear Solid, and liked MGS2 kinda except for Raiden, gently caress that guy. Basically I just like Snake lots, he's badass.

So I figured MGS3 would be good to try, because it's still basically Snake, and I don't mind retarded troll-the-audience plots. But when I tried playing it a coupla years back, I couldn't even sneak past the first guy, or get close enough to stealth-kill/knockout. I have no idea why, I had no problems with the previous 2, I had all the right camouflage crap on, I just sucked at this.

Anyway, I'm gonna give it another go but is there stuff I should know about sneaking in general to make it a bit easier? And any general foreknowledge would be appreciated too.

If you can find the Subsistence version, it has a much better camera setup than the original release. The full Subsistence version is punishingly expensive, but in the MGS Essential Collection, the full game of MGS3 plus a few extras are included at a much more reasonable price.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Lockback posted:

Explain.

I couldn't find the specific video at the LP archive, but if I recall correctly, smoke cigar to attract enemy's attention, drop 'book' to hold his attention, then throw beehive at him while he's distracted.

Along these lines, throwing animals is one of the best parts of the game. Tranquilize things like snakes and scorpions then huck them at the soldiers. This works with some (all?) bosses as well.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

Okay, so I'm giving Final Fantasy Tactics another try and hoping it sticks with me this time. Any advice to keep it interesting or certain things to watch out for?

The wiki's got a bunch on FFT, check it out.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Life has become too enjoyable, so I need to fix that by figuring out FFX's Blitzball. I managed to get the Jecht Shot, and though I lost the initial tournament, I'm managing to hold my own in league play (two wins, one tie.) Are there particular players I should look to recruit, either to keep them off the other teams or use them myself? Are there certain games or teams that I need to play to pick up skills?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Majora's Mask

There's an LP of this running currently. Obviously the videos and thread will contain spoilers if you go beyond where you've played, but if you're hung up on the obligatory intro section, this post (which contains spoilers) might be appreciated.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Jive One posted:

I'm thinking about going through the Quest for Glory games starting with QFG2 since I've played 1 so much already. I'll be starting with the AGD remake of 2 as a wizard and going all the way to the end of 5.

First off, will 5 even run on 32-bit Vista? I can find out how to tinker with it if necessary but I want to make sure it's at least a possibility. Also, are there any "dead-end", game-ending puzzles in QFG 2 through 5? Sierra is infamous for these so I'd like a heads-up if possible.

It's possible to run Windows ME in Vista using Virtual PC and then run QFG inside that. It's still a bit buggy. You can also check out Sierra's Help Forums for some advice on specific bits.

There're quite a few gems hidden in Bobbin Threadbare's QFG LP which spans the whole series. Obviously there are quite a few spoilers in there, but if you pace yourself well you'll see just about everything the series has to offer.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Contra Calculus posted:

I'm about to play The World Ends with You, what should I know before playing this game? (sorry if this one's been asked).

Don't spend Scarletite until after you've won the game. Post-game content in this game is awesome. If you're a completionist, check out the wiki and save yourself some time on Pin Evolution. It's debatable whether this is a spoiler or not, given the content of the manual, but the game's tutorial doesn't really end until about halfway through the second week.

Oh, and above all else, eat as much as possible as often as possible. It's basically free stat boosts, and if you stay on top of things, +1 ATK or +8 HP here and there adds up after awhile.

Edit: Oh yeah, do spend Scarletite on pin slots. Completionist or not, I'd advise you to check the wiki to find out when and where these are available. It can really make the game more enjoyable having full access to your pin-set.

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 30, 2010

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Chinaman7000 posted:

This thread makes me desperately want a wiki site with spoiler free tips for every game. Basically all of the useful info from here, but organized and searchable. I was going to ask for FFT on the PSX, but I saw the first pages provided plenty.

What about FF3/6 on the SNES? I'm sure it was also covered, but impossible to find now.

Well, this thread does have a wiki, but some bits may be spoilerish for this game. While the game does have a plot, there aren't exactly any big twists you need to hide from.

There are only three moments that I can think of where you permanently miss an opportunity or close off access to things.

For Mog #1: If you choose to rescue Lone Wolf rather than Mog, you get a Golden Hairpin Relic (1/2 MP spent) but lose the chance to use Mog in the World of Balance and therefore lose the chance to get one dance.

For Mog #2: That dance in particular can only be gotten before completing the Floating Continent. Take Mog on a run through either of the aquatic sections to pick up Water Rondo. In the GBA remake, there are chances to get this dance later.

When you're asked to leave or wait, wait. Always wait.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

In general try stealing poo poo with Ayla in every boss battle. Charm is really drat useful.

Especially towards the end-game when you're fighting those computer screens, you can pick up some of the strongest female armor in the game.

Ayla also does have weapons that appear equipped on her once she gets to higher levels. Iron Fist pops up around 75 or so and Bronze Knuckle comes at 99 or *, I believe. At that point she's usually doing colossal damage anyways, but these inch her closer to the damage limit.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

al-azad posted:

No. You have to leave first then return or they won't open the vault. I remember a friend saying there was a way by going to the very end of the cave where the sunlight is (which prompts a message) and then returning to the vault door but I never tried it.

I don't think that there's a whole lot of a reason to not just step onto the world map anyways. You can re-enter the vault area immediately without losing any time or running into any encounters sure to destroy you.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Ahem. I think that you meant-

SpazmasterX posted:

So blind all your dudes so your whole team is sporting shades and telling Kefka to :dealwithit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

I never found the inverted takedown to be a terribly useful move, but it's bad-rear end enough that I always get it first and go out of my way to use it, even when there would be better ways to handle the situation.

And then once you've used it, you can occasionally Batarang the dangling goon down onto another thug coming to investigate him.