Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Zedd posted:

Pinnacle station unlocks a roulette indeed, don't get pinnacle station. It's bad.
And its weird; Sometimes they randomly restock after a storyline mission and randomly show up on the normandy vendor.

You are more or less guaranteed 2xVII and 1x X in one playthrough though.

Oops, yeah I meant Pinnacle Station.

Edit: I actually kind of enjoyed Pinnacle Station in a way, it was pretty low content, but some of the fights were quite challenging and it was nice to go on a rampage without having to stop to explore or chat every once in a while. gently caress the final mission though, I had to do that poo poo 8 times before I managed it by hiding in a corner.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Orvin posted:

I picked up the DLC for Borderlands (except the arena). Is there a set level to attempt them, or do they scale to your level?

It's pretty silly how they did it. The zombie island one does scale to your level, the armory of general thingy does not, you should be ~35 when you try it (or the level you end the OC with). I did the zombie one first, then the armory and quit because I was so overleveled (at 40) it was silly. I never got round to trying the Claptrap DLC I'm afraid, so I don't know if it scales.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&pagenumber=129&perpage=40#post379326487

The battle rank stuff is the most important thing to know since you can get stuck if you grind too much.

To add to the battle rank thing, I disregarded this when I played through and did a moderate amount of grinding. Though I did almost get stuck once, the worse issue I had with too much grinding early is leveling up characters you get later on. The higher your battle rank compared to an enemy's, the more XP union members get from a fight, so I ended up wanting to add some new characters in near the end game, and found it almost impossible to boost their stats since my BR was so high compared to all the monsters I met.

I also made an uber post about this game:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&pagenumber=172&perpage=40#post385404897

It's not as comprehensive as Gwyrgyn Blood's, but it has a few extra tips if you get a bit OCD about the game like I did.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 30, 2011

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Messing with your party member's equipment is just an .ini setting. Unfortunately, weapons/shields can still get overwritten when they upgrade so it's a little flaky. http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/PC_Tweaking

I really think they dropped the ball a bit on the party member equipping stuff. It's pretty handy for upgrading so many people at once, but on the other hand you shouldn't need to hack the game to give a party member the enormously overpowered doom weapon you just picked up. It's even more annoying when you come across shops full of weapons that Rush can't use, without using the wiki you have no idea what you should buy, and how you should upgrade it for a character to pick it up.

Also, the way you have no way of telling how many of a particular item they need to upgrade got on my nerves too. I reached a point near the end when everyone decided they needed some kind of dragon scale thing that was a 15% drop from a dragon. I ended up having to harvest 30 of the stupid things, it took nearly 4 hours :( Especially aggravating was that cat headed, 4 arm general idiot, who demanded like 8 of the drat things and then went ahead and demanded 4 more immediately afterwards :argh:

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 30, 2011

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Capsaicin posted:

Also, does anyone know what the stat symbols are for equipment in Dragon Age? I'm playing it, but don't have a manual. I don't understand what the stats being upped when I change equipment are.

Which stats do you mean exactly? If you mean base character stats:

Strength - Increases melee weapon damage, plus chance to hit, and success of intimidate conversation checks.
Dexterity - Increases ranged weapon damage, dagger damage, chance to hit and chance to dodge
Cunning - Increases armor penetration and success of various rogue skills, and persuasion conversation checks.
Willpower - Increases the size of your endurance/mana pool, plus your mental resistance (i.e. Ability to resist mind affecting spells, like paralyze)
Magic - Increases the strength of your magic spells
Constitution - Increases the size of your HP pool, plus your physical resistance (i.e. Ability to resist being knocked down, etc)

There might be a couple of other minor things (like I think Magic might increase how much health you get from heal kits), but that's the basics of it.

Also, there are some secondary stats:

Armour Rating - Is directly subtracted from any non-magic damage you take (I think). Armour penetration negates armour rating.
Attack Rating - Chance to hit with any weapon (except a mage staff, which always hits)
Defense Rating - Chance to avoid being hit by a weapon
Spellpower - Damage your spells do

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 14, 2011

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Quarex posted:

RagnarokAngel already pointed out that class does not impact the plot at all, but the type of background you select has at least one interesting impact. I never looked up what the other ones do, but the "sole survivor" background has a pretty awesome scene related to it in the game.

I don't remember anything particularly noteworthy about the sole surviver background in ME2, and I played through both of them a few weeks ago with it... But, if you're thinking of the scene I think you're thinking of with the traumatized girl with the gun, then that's in ME1. That scene is incredibly well done though, it's very rare that I find anything in a video game that moving.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Astfgl posted:

Just started Borderlands on the PS3 with a Sniper. I'm a couple levels in, but I haven't gotten my action ability yet. Seems pretty straightforward, but if there's anything easy to miss or whatever, I'd love a heads-up.

Not really, it's a pretty straightforward game. From what I remember, there are no points where you get locked out of areas, or can accidentally skip quests. You can respec your character whenever you wish (for money) at the same station you rename yourself, so feel free to experiment with builds.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Anyone have any tips for Civilization 5? I've played 1 and 2 before, but none of the others... I've heard there are a lot of big differences in this version, is there anything that might trip me up?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Astfgl posted:

There are 6 glass phylacteries scattered throughout the game world. Each one, when activated, triggers a tough encounter. Finding and activating them all is part of a quest, so keep an eye out to avoid having to retrace your steps.

One of these, in Denerim, is actually missable since it appears in a semi-random encounter map that you can't revisit after you leave it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Marcsism posted:

Just downloaded Beyond Good and Evil HD on XBLA. Tips or suggestions? Pretty sure there are no content changes, just graphics.

The game is mostly pretty straightforward, there isn't that much you really need to know. A few things that kind of tripped me up:

- People are animals
- In a lot of the stealth sections you can fight the guards instead if sneaking if you want (though in others you'll be insta-killed if seen).
- When using Peyj's bounce attack, look out for extra things you can smash enemies into for loot or to clear obstacles. If you spot something after you've killed all the enemies, you can usually make them respawn by re-entering the area.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

DarkDude98 posted:

Got a new 360 today so picked up a bunch of XBLA games I've missed, any tips on these?:

Limbo

As a piece of general advice, if you get stuck then try and explore around a little. By backtracking, or bypassing the puzzle areas you'll often find missing elements you'll need to get past. For a more specific thing, in the late game there are these arrows, they are buttons not sign posts. I spent 20 minutes stuck on something that wasn't even a puzzle because I didn't realize this.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Centipeed posted:

If I build my first barracks, and proceed to surround it with buildings, destroying it won't affect my border in that area too much, will it? Or will the border shrink to just around the other buildings, if there's no other barracks in the area?

The buildings will burn to the ground if there are no guard houses to maintain the territory they're in. I guess you might be able to get rid of a barracks here or there, but usually it's not a good idea to remove them.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Vizrt posted:

Starting up Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition soon. I didn't see much info on the wiki so I searched through the thread and compiled what I found. I may have missed some as there was quite a bit. If anyone wants to add it to the wiki here is what I came by and compiled.

As far as I know the Leliana quest glitch was fixed in one of the patches, it should be safe to woo her when you like now.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

MMAgCh posted:

No, it's a separate feature. I have no idea whether it's available in the console versions, though.

I was curious about this so I googled it, apparently you can make the game highlight usable objects by bringing up the radial menu.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Godmachine posted:

I just bought X3: Terran Conflict off of Steam, have it downloading, and will be playing it today after work. I hear it's a very in-depth game with a steep learning curve. As a newbie, what are some good PROTIPS that I should follow?

Start the Terran campaign and follow it, as you progress you'll get given free ships as quest rewards which is pretty useful. Make sure that you save often and in different slots though, it might be better now, but some of the quests used to be glitchy as hell. With the free ships, it's often best just to sell them get cash if you don't want to drive them yourself. Having them fight on AI with you will often just get them killed.

By doing tasks for factions, or killing pirates in their space, you build reputation with them. More reputation = more stuff you're allowed to buy from them.

Assuming you want to play as a combatant, your first goal is to get an M3 type fighter (then an M3+). You'll get one if you do enough Terran missions, but Terran fighters aren't that great, since they can only use fairly crappy weapons. Different factions' ships all have different properties, so ship around and look for one that matches your play style.

There's a ship upgrade you need, I think it's called Combat Software or something. One version of it gives you a degree of auto aim on your main ship. This makes combat much, much easier.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Dr Snofeld posted:

Depending on the difficulty you may be able to get away with spending all of your credits on new power cells instead of medkits and ammo. Either way, buy them when you can.

I don't entirely agree with this. Every 2 or 3 levels you can buy a suit upgrade, which increases your inventory size. I find the best thing to do is to always try and keep a cash float around with that in mind, and once the armor upgrade becomes available, buy that and then blow the rest of the cash on power cells.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
^^^^^^^

Lies, demolitions with both grenade launchers at once is the best.

PandasEVERYWHERE posted:

I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but any tips for the Killing Floor? I'm probably gonna pick it up after I get out of work. There's nothing for it on Centipeeds website.

You can level up a class, even when you're not using it. So every time you get a head shot kill with a pistol, it'll count towards your Sharpshooter class, even if you're playing medic or something.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Molts posted:

I'm getting Dragon Age 2 tomorrow, is there anything relevant in the beginning of the story that I should now that could be a pain in the rear end ? Or bugs ?

One thing springs to mind. I play a lot of RPGs, and I instinctively do all side quests that are available before advancing the main quest. In the first act of DA2, you should NOT do this. The main quests in the first act unlock extra characters for your team, so you probably want to do those first and then focus on all the side quests afterwards. The cut off point for act 1 is pretty obvious, so you needn't worry about accidentally finishing the act before you're ready too.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Kaster Troy posted:

I just picked up Borderlands: Game of the Year. It came with all four of the add ons and I'm just wondering what would be a good level to play them at.

When I tried it, the enemies in General Nox didn't scale to my level, so do that one first, just after finishing the main campaign. The Zombie one does scale though, so you can do that when you like.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
There is no Heroes of Might and Magic VII... Do you mean Might and Magic 7(an RPG) or one of the Heroes of Might And Magic games (turn based strategy games)?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I'm just getting round to playing Bioshock 2. I've played through 1, so I kind of know what I'm doing, and I've just gotten to the stage where I can buy my own Plasmids. Any advice on which plasmids are good/which ones I should upgrade first?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Anyone have any tips for Kings Bounty: Armored Princess? I've played the first one, but I got stuck about half way through. I started facing lots of enemy dragons, and I was suffering so many losses with each fight that the game got too tedious to continue...

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Dr Snofeld posted:

Planning to try and play Persona 4 again but I felt like I was missing out on some things. What social links and skills should I be focussing on? Jobs? Clubs? That sort of thing.

Did you complete the game first time? Because New Game+ makes things much easier, since you keep all your personal stats (Expression and Courage and things). If not, then I'd honestly recommend using a no-spoiler walk through to 100% the social links, it's virtually impossible to do it blind.

If that's not your thing, then:

- For most s-links (Death and Hermit are the exceptions, I think) having a Persona that matches the s-link's arcana will get you extra points from "Good" answers during the cutscenes. When you choose things to say to them, you can see how well you did by the number of little music notes that come off their heads. Generally, you need a certain number of points to advance the s-link to the next level.

- There are a couple of signs the game gives you when an s-link is ready to advance, when you get one of these signs, you shouldn't do any extra events with them (like when they phone you up on a Sunday to go do something), since the points will be wasted. The signs are:

1. The game saying "You feel like your relationship will grow closer soon" at the end of a scene.
2. The character coming to see you during lunch, and asking if you're free after school.

- Social Links for your team mates are far more important than the others, since they grant the team mates special powers. For all but 2 of the team mates, maxing out the slink will also negate their elemental weakness, which is awesome.

- For the mid-game, the fox shrine slink is very useful, since each rank in it makes buying heals from the fox cheaper.

- If possible, do each dungeon in as few sessions as you can (I managed them all in 2 sessions, but I've played these games to death). Each day you spend in the dungeon is a day you're not studying/socializing.

- In the early game, go every week into the shopping area and buy as many cans of soda as you can from the vending machines in the 2 zones (make sure you buy the SP boosting soda, not the HP one). Having soda stockpiles means you can generally explore much longer before you have to go home.

- At one point in the very late game, you're going to be in a hospital having a conversation about whether or not you should kill someone. You get a bunch of dialogue choices, and if you make one mistake you won't be able to continue the game (the game will pretty much end immediately instead). Reloading and going back to that point means sitting through a huge cutscene, all over again. I'd seriously recommend looking up the correct choices online if you value your sanity.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Dr Snofeld posted:

A guide I looked at along those lines seems to say you should do dungeons other than the castle one in a single day. I only got as far as the videogame-like dungeon last time I played, but that doesn't seem feasible to me?

This guide, for reference.

Yeah, I used that guide, but I was doing a New Game+ play through, so I had a lot of leeway to ignore it when it was talking about doing things to boost your stats. If you read the guide, it will actually give you a second day for each level, search for the text "Last day" to see what I mean. By going into the TV on those days, you miss some stat boosts, so it will throw you off a bit, but at the end of the guide you have about 3 weeks of time to catch up on any loose ends.

Doing the zones in 2 days is a lot more doable than 1, though it's still a challenge. It really helps if you find Personas that have skills that regenerate your SP, like Invigorate. This really helps early on:

1) Get Parasvati somehow, she's level 17, Priestess Arcana
2) Get her to level 19, she'll learn Invigorate 2 (+5 SP every turn, when she's equipped)
3) Whenever you fuse Parasvati into another persona, keep backing out of the "Are you sure want to fuse this?" screen until you roll a persona that inherits Invigorate.
4) Bring Parasvati back from the compendium
5) Now you can repeat step 3 with Parasvati or the persona you just made.

After a while, you'll end up with a bunch of Persona with the skill, and you should be able to dungeon crawl much longer. Once you get further into the game, you can get Trumpeter (level 67, Justice), at level 69 he gets the Cool Breeze skill (recover 8% Sp/HP after each fight), which is also extremely handy to have on a bunch of persona.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

RentACop posted:

Hey, with regards to the Last Remnant on pc, are we supposed to fight as many enemies at a time as we can? The game says you should, but I thought I remembered people saying that that's the exact opposite of what you should do

I made a big post about LR here (I played on PC too):

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&pagenumber=172&perpage=40#post385404897

With regards to rank (from too much fighting) there are a couple of key things:

- There are some boss fights that scale with your rank, one of which nearly stopped me dead about halfway through the game. However, by using Dave's super attack that hits the whole field I managed to get past it easily. Apart from that, the impact on enemy strength can be safely ignored.

- The more you grind up characters, the slower ALL characters level up. So, if you waste 10 hours early game grinding up your troops, then it'll be harder to level up troops you pick up later. The upshot of this was me picking up some super characters close to the end game, and I simply couldn't grind them up to be as strong as everyone else.

I'd say the best approach is to play normally, and not go out of your way to grind that much early on, and you should be fine.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 11, 2011

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Agrias120 posted:

I've always stumbled through D&D games before but have never really understood the system. Can anyone give me a primer on how to Win Loot and Impress Women in Neverwinter Nights 2 (complete edition)?

There's kind of a lot to know, but the basics go like this:

- Almost every check in NWN2 (and all other 3rd edition DnD games) works the same way. You take a d20, add relevant bonuses, and if the result is the same or higher than the target (called the DC) then it works.

- Attacking someone:

Attacker rolls d20 + Base Attack Bonus + Strength bonus + Magic Weapon Bonuses
DC = 10 + Defenders Armour Class

If the attacker succeeds, he hits. If the attacker is using a ranged weapon, or has the Weapon Finesse feat, and is using a light weapon, they use their dexterity bonus instead of strength.

- Spells are a bit different, because usually the caster doesn't need to make a roll, the target hit by the spell does, in order to nullify or reduce the effectiveness of the spell.

Spell target rolls d20 + Reflex/Will/Fortitude save value (depending on the spell)
DC = 10 + Level of the spell (i.e. Fireball, a 3rd level spell, is +3) + a bonus based on the caster's primary casting attribute (e.g. Intelligence bonus for a wizard)

If the target makes the roll, then, depending on the spell, they'll take less damage or avoid the spell entirely. Some spells can't be saved against.

- Skill rolls (e.g. opening locks, persuasion checks, etc)
User rolls d20 + Skill level
DC is dependent on the task, unlocking a simple door might be 15, disabling a deadly trap might be 25.

- When you build your character, you can choose how your stats are distributed. The stats you want to pump up are based entirely on what class you're playing, and how you want to play them. If you read the class description in the character creator, it'll tell you which stats are important for them. You also get 1 bonus stat point per 4 levels.

- Each stat gives a +1 bonus for every 2 points it is over 10 (so there's no difference between Dex 12 and Dex 13). The stats are:

Strength: Bonus is added to your to hit rolls in melee, and to your damage rolls when you hit someone in melee. More strength also means you can carry more without being encumbered. Important for fighters.

Dexterity: Bonus is added to the character armor class. Note that armor limits how much effect dexterity has, Full Plate only allows you to use 1 point of your DEX bonus for your AC, leather armor lets you use 5 or 6. The bonus is also added to to hit rolls for ranged weapons and your reflex save value. Important for all lightly armored characters, ranged weapon users and rogues.

Constitution: Bonus is added to the amount of HP you get per level, this is applied retroactively. The bonus is also added to your fortitude save. Important for fighters.

Intelligence: Bonus is added to the number of skill points you get per level. It's also the primary casting attribute for wizards, so it's important for them as well as any character that needs lots of skills (Rogues mostly)

Wisdom: Bonus is added to your will save, as well as being the primary casting attribute of Druids and Clerics.

Charisma: The primary casting attribute of sorcerers and bards.

- Each skill has a stat associated with it, and will get a bonus from that stat. For example, Move Silently and Hide both add dexterity bonus to themselves, while almost all the socializing skills (Bluff, Persuade, etc) add charisma bonus.

- Different classes have different class skills. You can train a character to use a non-class skill, but it costs twice as many skill points and the cap is half the size.

To keep things simple, I'd choose a Fighter class for a melee guy (high STR and CON, make sure INT is at least 13 to unlock advanced combat feats), Wizard for a spell caster (high INT and DEX) or Cleric for a hybrid (high WIS, moderate STR and CON). If you want to be able to talk your way out of situations, go Rogue (high DEX and INT, moderate CHA and STR, take Weapon Finesse feat if not using a ranged weapon).

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I've just started Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 and I have absolutely no idea what is going on... Why are all these children running round yelling cliches at each other? Why is my enemy composed of endless armies of green robots whose sole purpose is to stand in groups and wait to die?

Any hints, tips and explanations for the bizarre anime madness would be greatly appreciated.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Stelas posted:

Gundam Stuff

Thanks for the info!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Any hints for Hyperdimension Neptunia?

I'm also wondering if the DLC is worth getting, since there seems to be absolutely tons of it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Cbouncerrun posted:

Yeah now that you mention it, I looked at my save file for Bioshock and it's huge. The load times aren't that bad on the PS3 version though. How do I delete my save files for games without affecting trophies or unlockables and such?

The data for unlocked trophies is attached to your account, not a particular save file for the game. With game specific unlockables, it comes down to how the developer's decided to do it. They may just be linked to "Does profile have X trophy unlocked", in which case you have nothing to worry about, but it might be stored in a data file separate to save game data. When you browse the save games, you might find a data file called something like "Options Data" or "Game Data", it should be way smaller than the normal save files, so just don't delete it to be safe. It's conceivable that they scan every save file present to determine what is and isn't unlocked, but not very likely at all, since that would be a very slow and complex method compared to the other two ways.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Endrion posted:

While I haven't finished the game entirely yet, (So take these with a grain of salt) I'd recommend the following:
-Learn your character's attack patterns. You can put together your own combo trees out of the attacks and abilities they get, and some ARE better suited to certain situations than others.
-If you're the kind of person who has to 100% everything, then for the love of god, check a guide for enemy encounters, there are some that are very finnicky about where and when they'll show up.
-Have you played Trinity Universe? This combat system is a bit of a variation on that. One of your characters has a power that will let you fight 2-4 fights in a row in exchange for turning random encounters off entirely for a little bit. This can be useful if you're getting annoyed with exploration. Similarly, there's at least one hidden chest per area, and it's worth finding them for materials and equipment.

As regards DLC, the free quests are probably worth picking up (Because hey, free!). Besides that, It's a matter of taste. Most of them are cosmetic or equipment based, but four of them are tied to extra party members you can recruit. Aside from your initial group, you won't see anyone else till almost the end of the game, so if you want to switch up your group a bit, I'd invest in at least one of them. Personally, they've got enough personality and aren't that pricey, making them pretty worthwhile.

Thanks for the info! I had some money lying round on my PS3 account I wasn't using, so I blew it all on the DLC characters and some ridiculous poo poo like hats and silly clothes. With hindsight, I'd definitely say the extra characters are worth getting, just so you can go with a full team of 6 and pull off 40 hit combos on all the bosses. Also, some of the DLC scenes are actually pretty funny, if you can develop an iron hard tolerance for extreme anime-ness.

I have to say though, considering the companies that made this are supposed to be well established JRPG makers, the game has some pretty loving horrible flaws. The combat system is horribly unfriendly, and unless I'm missing something, seems to involve using math to figure out the longest combos you can do for different situations, and then memorizing the button sequences for them, for 6 different characters at once :psyduck:. It's also way too slow, I shouldn't need to hammer on the skip button because it takes 10 seconds for an enemy to do a melee strike on me. And how they managed to mess up something as basic as making it easy to open a loving treasure chest is beyond me.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Kind of depends on what your character is set up to do, you can just run in and splat them all fairly easily, but if you want to be sneaky there's a switch out back that turns the power in the house off. One of the goons comes out to investigate, and if you're sneaky enough you can backstab him. It's fiddly as hell though and usually takes me 4 or 5 tries to get right, so you may not want to bother.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Super Fan posted:

How about the first Mass Effect? I somehow missed this series despite being a big fan of Bioware and I want to finish the first 2 before 3 comes out.

The Electronics and Decryption skills are used to unlock doors and treasure chests, so make sure there's always someone on your team that has them, and focus on getting them up to high level early. You don't need to max the lines, just get to the highest triangle marker. The skills and bonuses you get from the lines are pretty good too, so don't worry that you're neglecting other skills.

The Mako has a heavy cannon and a zoom mode, a lot of people seem to miss these, since the game doesn't ever tell you they're there.

Pick either Paragon or Renegade and stick with it. Paragons want the persuade skills, Renegades want the intimidation skills. Renegade is a fun choice, even if you're the kind of person who doesn't normally like playing "Evil" characters. Renegade is not so much evil, as ruthless and xenophobic. It's usually a good idea to keep pumping points into your chosen social skill as early as you can, to avoid having to come back to complete side quests later due to greyed out conversation options.

By using a power/weapon enough, you get an achievement. Once the achievement is unlocked, you can use that power/weapon with ANY class (though you can only choose one extra skill line per character). For example, it may be worth playing as a soldier for long enough to unlock Assault Rifles, then restarting as something else. Note that you only get achievements for skills you use yourself, having a team mate use it doesn't count.

For the main quest lines, the best order is probably "Therum, Feros, Noveria, Virmire". Whatever you do, don't do Noveria first since you may well end up getting your rear end handed to you.

If you get attacked by a huge acid spitting monster while driving the Mako around, then drive to high ground and save immediately. They have a bullshit attack that can one shot you if you're unlucky, and I don't think there's a way to reliably avoid it.

quote:

Save your money. You won't really need to upgrade your armor from stores ever, and when you get the Rich achievement, you unlock SPECTRE gear, which is the best, period. The only thing better than SPECTRE gear is higher level SPECTRE gear.

You don't need the rich achievement to unlock Spectre gear :confused: You just need to become a Spectre

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Oh, is that why in the late game IX an X versions of the Spectre stuff suddenly start turning up? I know that it's possible to get mark VII stuff as soon as you leave the Citadel the first time (not that you'd be able to afford it).

Edit: No, you're right. I just looked it up. I got confused because doing the achievement once unlocks version VII early on in later playthroughs.

Also, with regards to armor, it sometimes is worth buying some. There's one type called "Scorpion" (I think) that you can find/buy early on, which has amazing stats, and if you see some in a shop and can afford it, it's usually a good idea to upgrade to it, since it's fairly rare.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 7, 2011

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
There's an option in your X360 profile to set your preference about whether you want your Y axis inverted. MS standards demand that X360 games pay attention to it, so i theory that should work.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Get the Shadow Broker DLC, it's awesome.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Foxhound posted:

I was wondering about Xenoblade. I know it's pretty new and that it's got a thread of its own, but I don't want to sift through it and potentially spoil myself because the story is pretty good so far. I've just reached the "leg" part (where you rescue the kid on the buggy).

- You have to put things into the collection by hand, it doesn't happen automatically
- Whenever you see someone with a blue dot, speak to them. What they say will change as you do more sidequests, relationships in the affinity graph change and as your affinity with the area they're in goes up.
- There are literally hundreds of side quests, though they entirely optional
- If you have a quest with a clock icon, that means that you can miss it by advancing the plot so far. I've only been through it once, but as far as I can tell, the game does warn you when you go past a point of no return.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Lord Banana posted:

Is there any trick to this? I'm playing Tropico 4 which is pretty much just Tropico 3 so far, but in both games no matter how many garages and roads I built the builders would never seem to build some things. Pretty much if I put it on high priority they'll eventually build it, but once all high priority things are built they seem to ignore everything else.

Builders are irritating as hell. A couple of things that help are:

- Constructing a second builder's building, so you have more of them available
- Setting the wages of the builders to be slightly higher than all the other low paying jobs
- Using your dictator to encourage builders to they work faster

If all else fails, you can start examining individual builders to see what they're doing with all their time. They might be spending all their time getting food, sleeping, praying and seeing the doctor that they don't have time to work, meaning the layout of your town isn't very good.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Vita posted:

I've tried to play The Sims 3 but the house keeps getting set on fire with Sims pooping and fighting everywhere please help :(

Man, mine never set the oven on fire :( I set fire to an inventing bench once, but it's just not the same...

Anyways, to prevent cooking fires then either send the sims to cookery lessons, or buy a cookery skill book and have them read it. Having an expensive oven helps too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

LoveisOver posted:

I've finally gotten around to picking up my save of Persona 3, and i'm liking it a lot (I've played Persona 4) my question is: should i be referring to the internet for fusing/Elizabeth's requests? This is really bugging me, as I played through P4 using the web to guide a chunk of my fusions. I'd really prefer not to, but I'm afraid i'd just mess it up for myself that way. What have most people done for this aspect of P3? Is is more necessary than P4? Or will I be fine just fusing crap together? Because i really don't want to go back to past saves. I wanna play it straight.

With fusing, the easiest approach is to pick a few Personas that you want to keep, then fuse the rest into new guys. Next time you explore, you'll fill up the empty slots with fresh personas you can fuse again. You won't get all the personas this way, but you'll get more than enough to get through the game. Only thing to remember is that you may want to keep an eye out for persona's that give immunity to status effects, since you can't control your team mates (unless you're playing the PSP version) and they'll usually never cure you of them. It may even be worth your while to prioritize those kinds of attributes when fusing (especially Null-Charm).

As for Elisabeth's requests, you can do them without a guide, but it would take huge amounts of experimenting and messing around to get some of the later ones. I'd personally say that if you were going to look stuff up for any part of the game, it would be that part.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 17, 2011