Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!
Fun thread idea.

Disgaea 2 (and 1 to an extent)

-Just because you can field 10 units doesn't mean you need to. 3-5 of your favorites will do fine and save you some grinding.
-Magic Knights are hideously powerful when using elemental magic.
-Ignore the item world until the post-game if you want. Same goes for reincarnation.
-Cast some piddly heal or buff with your cleric every single round and she'll never need to mooch kills to keep up with the rest of the party.

Brave Fencer Musashi

-Do not take the Legendary Quilt.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

-For the sake of simplicity, plan to have a Cleric and a Priest. This way you'll have access to Heal+ and Revivify.
-Charge is a spell which recovers more MP than it costs. It also does this at a range much greater than MP recovery items.
-The success rate of status changing magic is based on DEX.
-Bows aren't restricted to the displayed attack range. Get even a little higher than your target and you can reliably fire 3 or 4 tiles farther. An excellent height advantage gives an Archer her pick of targets anywhere on the map! They'll also generally kill casters in one shot.

Quake Wars: Enemy Territory

For pubbie games! :pseudo:

-If you like playing engineer and your team needs an artillery interceptor, stop mourning your damage and kill count and just build one. You'll most likely end up drowning in engineer experience from all the artillery strikes it shoots down.

-If only to piss off some of those rear end in a top hat pilots, learn to deadfire rockets at vehicles. No lock-on means no warning. They hate this like nothing else.christ i have issues

Puzzle Quest

-The AI knows what pieces will drop from above the playing field and will make decisions based on this information. Expect it to cheat.
-Try very hard not to play the top of the field.
-Troll rings are cheesy and useful.

I kind of suck at this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

CloseFriend posted:

So I'm thinking about playing Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, but I can tell just by playing a few battles that the plot has multiple branches. Anything I should know about where the plot branches or how I can prepare for it? I know about grinding by having your party fight itself, but beyond that, I've only ever just guessed.

If you're worried, stick to using multiple saves so you can go back if you don't like the results. There are two critical choices that change the way the story plays out. These choices also change your leader's alignment, potentially barring him from using the class you want. This doesn't matter quite as much if you decide to go for his spoiler-y uber class near the end. The choices also change which special characters you can get your hands on. One specific path even includes all four sisters AND the nice sidequest associated with them.

At some points you can choose one of two battles. These usually have different rare equipment in them. Like the difference between getting a water and air bow or an earth and fire bow. Not a huge deal, but some of us get a little OCD over this game sometimes.

And if you want the super lazy grinding method, try this. Take two healers. Unequip them. Give them nothing but Heal. Set them against each other in training, both AI controlled. Go read a book or something while they slug it out, but hang around to press a button in case the spell quote comes up. They'll level up smacking each other around. Maybe stop every now and then to use them as punching bags for the rest of your party for ungodly amounts of experience. It's possible to get to a point where even high DEX characters have a 1% chance to hit from behind. Consider stunning them or something to make it easier.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

sexual rickshaw posted:

I know some tips for Front Mission 3 were posted earlier in this thread, but does anyone have a bit more in depth tips/answers?
Lots of good advice has been given, but I'd like to add that you shouldn't be afraid to dump AP into accuracy and evasion upgrades. Let your missle unit be a slug and only bother with accuracy. The Salvo skill is also hilarious fun, if only to watch it pick some poor bastard apart. Your gunners will end up gaining retarded amounts of experience due to all the arms and legs they'll be destroying.

I didn't find the Anti-P/F/I upgrades very useful without knowing what I was going up against beforehand. Mix parts too! You may want to choose high durability on shields over damage reduction. Equip the shield on a beefy arm with full HP upgrades. Put missiles and rifles on arms with high accuracy bonuses and pump AP into the accuracy upgrades you buy for it. Doing this with other weapon types is a personal choice. High accuracy arms tend to have little else going for them and your front line is obviously going to take more fire.

Finally, remember that you still have a chance to activate skills from wanzer parts as well as any that are set in the CPU. Others have already mentioned the glorious carnage of a long skill chain.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Capsaicin posted:

When you get to the Guardian Diggers, leave the third strongest one for last.
That's just malicious.

Definitely use the fastest message speed. If you see a caterpillar, chase it down and kill it quickly. Also remember to never take the game very seriously. There's no reason to be stingy with anything either.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Capsaicin posted:

Criminal Catepillars, enemies in the two desert areas of the game, give an absolutely insane amount of experience points. They run away immediately, however, and can be very hard to catch. They are also incredibly easy to beat.
Which reminds me. Aren't Fobbies/Foppies decent experience too? I remember they form up in nice long lines and they're weak against fire. And they call for help? Not sure. It's been an amazingly long time since I've played through.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!
So how about Ring of Red on PS2? I'm a little over 4 hours in, but haven't gotten a handle on a couple things. Such as a good use for light AFWs. John is ripping poo poo up in his 4-leg AFW and 2x homing shot support, but I can't seem to find any good crew combinations for my 2 light and 2 normal AFWs. I tried casting one in an anti-infantry role, but it wasn't especially effective.

Also Capcom Fighting Evolution, PS2. I loved Darkstalkers 3 and this feels clunky and stiff in comparison. The instructions say the D3 characters can chain combo, but I can't find the timing for more than 2 hits. The whole game in general feels unresponsive.

I suck at fighting games.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

GreatRedSpirit posted:

The wizard guy is trash because spell casting sucks in SO2. You have to watch the spell animations over and over and they can at most do 9999 since spells only hit once. Compared to the best sword skills which can attack while the battle continues for faster fights and hitting multiple times.
It's only a small consolation, but that caster does learn Demon Gate. It hits the entire field many times for pretty worthless amounts of damage. The idea is to combine it with something I can't remember that might be Meteor Swarm so it hits everything several times for 9999. Of course that means you're putting TWO casters in your formation and disabling Motor Mouth, but hey. It's pretty. That counts for something, right? :shobon:

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Capsaicin posted:

Playstation 1
Silhouette Mirage is a Treasure platformer with a gimmick that doesn't kill the fun. Tactics Ogre for more FFT-like strategy RPG fun. Also Einhander, but it's a horizontal shooter. Thousand Arms does some neat things and has a fun battle system, but it's also part dating sim and very Japanese. Most used game retailers will scalp you and take your first born child for many of the good PS1 games mentioned so far, but you can never be too sure what you'll turn up in some places. I mean, drat. A GameXchange near me has all these games in a big glass case labeled "CASH ONLY."

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Dr Snofeld posted:

Going to dust off my copy of Grandia and I'm looking for advice, on levelling in particular. I'm pretty sure I did it wrong last time I played the game.
It's actually pretty forgiving and it'll reveal requirements for magic and skills you're close to learning anyway. IP denial through crits and other cancels is a very powerful tactic that makes level differences less of a big deal.

Remember to buy a massive stockpile of power mushrooms when they come up if you're at all interested in them. There are also enough mana eggs to make sure your endgame team has every element if you feel they need them, but take it easy on the non-permanent party members if you're not in the mood to hunt all the eggs down. Also keep weapons that can be used as items like a hail bow and the wrecking axe if you want to cut down on even more grinding.

I'm hoping I haven't completely misunderstood you.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Salt Block Party posted:

I might regret this, but any tips for Legend of Mana? I really like the SNES Mana games but this seems so obnoxious to get into.
I had to resort to using a guide to see all the sidestories. Same goes for special pets which become available based on mana levels in specific areas. Forging didn't make any sense to me even WITH a guide. Honestly, the whole drat thing is a guide dang it. So get reading if you're worried.

As far as combat goes, you can thrash everything with several weapons by using the down-forward plunge attack. It chains into itself. It's also fun to learn to link your combos with skills like flip kick, moonsault and lunge. Doing this for long enough will interrupt your combo and create candy to heal yourself with.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Salt Block Party posted:

Alright gently caress that then. Can you get through the game having a somewhat enjoyable time without using gamefaqs?
Definitely. I probably went through it twice before messing around with guides. Just once it was fun to create a 999 power spear with the Gungnir plunge. Definitely, definitely screw around with golem crafting! I once made one that did nothing but dispense candy.

As for the secondary skills, you only need to have them equipped for a certain number of battles. Every advanced secondary skill and special attack requires you to have different secondary skills equipped for a particular number of battles. Like crouch + jump for high jump. The forward and backward movement skills get a couple improvements. Be sure to try pressing the heavy attack button during them for additional effects.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anything I should know before really getting into Disgaea 2 (I'm playing it on the PSP if that makes any difference)? After about an hour or so, the basic mechanics seem pretty much like Disgaea 1 -- anything to keep in mind about the more advanced mechanics, character creation, etc.? Or can I basically approach it like Disgaea 1?
There's a simple code you can use to open up Axel mode without a new game+ if you want to unlock magichange early. Do remember that the difficulty curve is a little sharper and you may not fully understand the story if you aren't familiar with Adell. Fortunately, magichange plus a decent powerlevel map in the first chapter will simplify things.

You can also check the awesome wiki for a quick look at what others have already said about the game.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Centipeed posted:

This is likely a long shot, but does anyone have any tips for Battle For Wesnoth?

I've just started the main campaign and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to help me win easier.
I can't stand the game, but I do remember the LP being interesting and at least somewhat informative. It's a start if nothing else. It's archived here.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!
I'm also looking for advice on Wild ARMs XF. I'm over a dozen battles in and they've ALL been gimmicks. Does this seriously continue all the way through the game? The closest thing to a straight beatdown I've seen outside free battles was basically "kill these guys, but not while they're standing on ley points or they'll one-shot you."

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Olaf The Stout posted:

1 How do clan auctions work? I understand the better nature of the game and have gotten decent with it, but is there any overall tips you have? What does it mean to own a region?

2 Can I keep my "default" team for the whole game, or should I actively focus on plot leveling plot characters? There's a lot of fucks who keep trying to join my clan, but they're bringing nothing to the table (entry-level jobs with no skills mastered). What am I missing there?

3 When I go to the bazaar and enter some items, most of the time it produces a "???" type good, but sometimes I already know the good my items are going to produce. Should I just buy it anyway, or is it redundant?

4 How important are status effects? In my experience in traditional final fantasy games most effects can go get hosed, should I be focusing on a character that can blind, silence and poison for instance?

5 What are some good synergies between classes as far as stat growth and primary and secondary abilities for one character? I'm mostly interested in melee and healer types with a little bit of ranged (if status effects end up being important it might be nice to throw one in the mix).
1. Adding to SiKboy's advice, auctions are only really important once you're able to bid on every area in a region. If you're able to claim them all at once, you gain control of them permanently. All further auctions in that region turn into freaking awesome item auctions.

2. I don't remember if the main character is ever stuck in a solo battle in this one, but you're probably using him most of the time anyway. Everyone else can be ignored if you want to stick with your generics. As for all generics that try to join, none will ever have skills mastered. You may want to watch for classes with very good growth in a stat you like. Such as assassins for speed.

4. Status effects are perfectly viable, but I stuck to the more debilitating ones like sleep, stone, disable and silence. Protect and shell are always welcome too. There's even a class that gains the ability to use items on enemies with reversed effects.

5. It's been a while, but I cheesed it a little with fast viera. Most of the old combinations are still fun like red mage/summoner with Blood Price, which lets you double cast summons by consuming HP instead of MP. People are also probably still going crazy for Seer-subbed humans with dual wield. There's a lot of room to use a party that's fun for you.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!
Any advice for Cross Edge? Especially about setting up the party and what I might want to spend stat points on. I can't seem to find any new branch combos either. Every battle is pretty much Morrigan and Miko cleaning house while no one else has anything productive to do.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Bluetooth human being posted:

What's the deus ex restoration mod called that was actually really decent? If you didn't kill anyone your brother would reward you with a special blackjack?
It's not Shifter, is it? I can't remember if that one added the blackjack.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Scalding Coffee posted:

The two Shadowgrounds might be a closer view to the ground version of Alien Shooter, but is it something that needs advice?
You might want to turn off rotation and mouse spring. Those gave me an idea of what it's like to have motion sickness. You can set a couple keys to manually rotate the view if something is in your way. Now for several very short points!

Rolling is really useful and faster than running. You can switch to another weapon and use it while the first is loading. Get the damage and reload mods for the pistol and it'll take out just about anything. The tranquilizer generally sucks. The assault rifle taser is awesome against bigger things. Whatever the pistol and assault rifle won't kill easily, the cluster grenade launcher will make short work of.

I haven't finished the second one yet, but don't get too OCD over trying to stock up on medkits. Every single level seems to have loads of harmless bullshit which spawns behind you specifically to deal ONE damage, preventing you from saving the next medkit you pick up.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Xander77 posted:

That's the initial configuration? Yeah, that's basically what I went with. Controlling turrets is kinda useful, the starting weapons on "trained" are still ludicrously inaccurate...

Anyways, what do I go with next?
It's been way too long for me, but I think I remember a laser sight mod in a bunker-like room in the area around the statue. Something about that and a bug that causes it to make the pistol perfectly accurate. Or was that the scope mod? That and pistol training to up the damage will give you a useful tool against all kinds of junk.

As for augs, it's hard to go wrong with power recirculator, regen and aggressive defense. It's a shame I don't remember more about it.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Backhand posted:

I could use a hand on Final Fantasy Dissidia. I swear to loving God the game input reads everything I do and it's beginning to piss me off. If I block, they use a defense crush move. If I attack, they guard it or dodge it every single time. They'll fly into these huge combos on me while I'm downed but if I try the same on them, they somehow pull a block out of their asses. I enjoy the style of the game but seriously, the AI is really starting to piss me off. How do I win?
Everything became much easier after I became more familiar with the game and started playing more defensively. It's a lot easier to bait and counter than it is to run in and blitz things all the time. If you're talking about the high leveled crap in story mode, just ignore those since the numbers are stacked so badly against you on the first run.

If you have no idea what's coming, dodge. Possibly even toward the enemy to set up for a counter. Most HP attacks will guard break, but they also tend to have big tells like the startup, darkness and move name at the top of the screen. A lot of attacks also have unique sound cues. Does that help at all?

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Scalding Coffee posted:

I heard there are combinations with summon materia that stacks several ailments on enemies and something probably called Death/Dark Force.
I know you can stack several poison effects on enemies and wonder if you can stack a bunch of other fun stuff on one target and see it slowly die horribly.
There's always Hades/Contain/Time + Added Effect on weapons for that. It causes a whole load of fun stuff like death, stop and petrify. And it doesn't cost MP! It's also a half-assed substitute for a ribbon when combined in armor.

I had a lot of fun with Command Counter, but it's one of those that shows up too late to be especially useful. You can attach it to Mime and proceed to limit break counter everything for laughs. I forget how it interacts with Enemy Skill. Mega All is also hilarious fun, but also on the "too late to be useful" list.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

McKracken posted:

About to play Grandia, is there anything missable or anyway I can permanently mess things up? The wiki mentions something related to someone named Sue but that means nothing to me.
When you get the opportunity to buy Power Mushrooms, you may want to stock up. They aren't absolutely essential or anything, but they are very useful. Don't sweat missables too much since it's entirely possible to blow through the game no matter how badly you mess up things like mana eggs.

There are also a few optional dungeons with some cool rewards. They're missable and one will more than likely require a guide or an obsessive degree of searching to find.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!
WA5 is my favorite. It's like the designers took all the good aspects of the previous games and put them together in a way that actually works. Plus the game looks drat good. Dean will definitely annoy some people though.

WA4 is garbage. There's nothing redeeming about the story or the ending. There's also no difficulty to speak of. Soon after getting Raquel, I was accidentally one-shotting bosses. She soon hits for 5 digits like it's nothing and bosses have strangely low HP. The good parts of the hex system were carried over to 5 and it works out well.

Wild Arms on PSP is neat, but every single story battle is a gimmick. Some are rather sadistic and most require you to use very specific unit setups. I'm still stuck on a battle where I have to prevent enemies from reaching the other end of the map. The only problem is they have obscene move ranges and some of them can just teleport behind your party from the other end of the map. There's a very specific way to do it and grinding for it is soul crushing.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!
I'm about 4 hours into .hack Infection and I'm getting sick of missing almost every attack. It doesn't seem to change when I try equipping stuff with higher physical accuracy. Does that ever change? General advice is also good.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Ineffiable posted:

Have you bought the other 3 games? Are you dedicated to try and finish this series?

If so, I would use an FAQ only to see how many virus cores you need in total. In the 4th game, you'll need virus cores from the very very beginning areas (A,B, and C's) to gate-hack some of the later dungeons. Its hard to data drain enemies when you could kill them in one hit.
I plan to finish them all at some point and I managed to pick up the first two. Just about everything gets drained until it starts giving me back to back misfires.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!
Is there anything I should know about Class of Heroes? I knew it was a Wizardry clone, but the instructions aren't especially helpful aside from a few nice charts. Currently running with valkyrie/samurai/monk/ranger/cleric/evoker. I got insanely lucky and found a death scroll on novice's road that sold for a mountain of cash which I used to get new weapons for everyone. I also figured out I should keep rerolling new characters for 19 or 20 bonus points and that the center slot in the front row seems to take the most hits.

Is there any more really useful info like that? Is my party setup ok? Should I ever consider running a second or third party alongside the main group? It seems like I can run multiple parties through a labyrinth at once, which sounds kind of cool. What's the difference between normal and EX maps?

Edit: Also, traps. I imagine my ranger isn't as good at thief-type things as an actual thief, but is there a way to make it better at detecting which trap is on a chest? She's usually wrong and the rest of the party doesn't know jack about it so I can't even get a general consensus on what it could be.

Sentient Toaster fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 18, 2010

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

al-azad posted:

You can actually get 40+ bonus points but it's pretty hard to do. The thing to understand about the level up system is that, regardless of how many starting points you pump into characters, their attributes balance of based on their race. Certain races will gradually lose attributes and increase in others even if it goes against their class.

I always kept a second party because it makes things easier. I forget most of the names and details but I always kept around the alchemist who whoever can identify items and there are also certain classes that can cast exclusive spells like float or whatever (makes traps trivial). The best race are the demons or dragon guys because their breath weapon is amazing, hits almost every monster, and levels up with them.
Thanks for this. Also right about the bonus points since I was just given someone with 29 of them. Turns out the evoker is interesting, but way more useful as a second or third class. And yeah, I was a little annoyed when I got to a point where I was required to have so many charges of levitate to make it through an area. It's fortunate that I already had enough.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Orgophlax posted:

Any hints for Puzzle Quest, DS version? I'm assuming it boils down to getting lucky that it decides to not gently caress you, but are there any class/skill/item combos that work well and might make things a tad easier?

EDIT: I guess I'll also ask this here: Are there any Diablo style games for DS? A dungeon runner that gives random drops and the ability to keep running the same area for more/better loot?
I think everyone will agree with the warrior fire/battle advice for Puzzle Quest. Though I put my skill points from the temple on cunning to eventually get the first shot at all those 4 and 5 of a kinds the board often starts with. Troll rings are also solid accessories since they run on blue mana and you don't use it all that often as a warrior. Much later on you'll have Deathbringer to fill the field with skulls and more or less end battles on the first turn. The PC version nerfed the hell out of things like that. Finally, level up a mount if you want a good chance at simply passing over battles with trash on the world map.

Soma Bringer is a drat good Diablo style RPG, but I don't think it ever got a US release. I've seen an English patch for it though. Isn't one of the Blue Dragon DS games in this style too?

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Foxhound posted:

Final Fantasy Dissidia
Counter, counter, counter! Every attack in the game has a tell. HP attacks also dim the screen. Even Zidane's Free Energy has tells that'll allow you to avoid it. It just happens to come out amazingly fast. Successful guards can be canceled into attacks or another guard. This is useful against attacks that have a lot of hangtime or send multiple projectiles your way. Speaking of which, a well timed block seems to reflect projectiles directly back at the enemy instead of tossing it in a random direction. I never really had that confirmed.

In story mode, don't be afraid to leave higher level encounters for subsequent playthroughs. They can be really difficult when you're just starting out. It's possible to win, but the numbers are stacked rather severely against you at that point.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!
Any suggestions for PSP's Mana Khemia: Student Alliance? Picked it up without instructions the other day and I'm having a hard time finding good info on it because all the other games in the series seem to be much more popular. Alchemy in particular is hard to figure out. Matching elements on the wheel with the ingredients always makes the e-level go up, but I have no idea what that is or how it changes what traits appear on the item.

I'm at the end of term 3. I understand I should do the best I can on assignments so I can do jobs and character events in free days. I've also been creating one of everything I can for the growth book. That's working pretty well.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

ToxicFrog posted:

Pretty much anything you can find online about the PS2 version (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) applies to the PSP version as well; Student Alliance is a pretty straightforward port of Alchemists of Al-Revis, adding some new items/dialogue/recipes/etc but not changing the mechanics of what's already there.
Thanks! I had no idea it was a port. That explains the terrible loading issues even with data install. Didn't know about the way endings worked either. I'll have to watch for that.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

GeneralFai posted:

Class of Heroes
In addition, feel free to savescum the hell out of that game. It won't be long before it's entirely possible that you get jumped with a lucky Deathgan for an instant wipe. I have honestly counted 11 consecutive surprise attacks before. The game is a Wizardry clone.

There are some basic things you probably want in your party:
-Someone to identify items.
-A way to deal with treasure chests.
-Levitation.
-Ragnarok.
-Phase/Teleport.

As mentioned, you want someone to ID items. Either a cleric or an alchemist. Alchemists are generally worthless in combat on top of having a very high experience curve. The primary benefit of an alchemist is the ability to perform item crafting for free. Unfortunately, this requires keeping his levels up if you want to do more than the most basic combinations. A cleric learns white and black magic, but at a slower pace than a devout or wizard. They can identify right off the bat and soon gain the ability to instantly kill an entire row of undead enemies. It helps if someone other than your cleric learns the Calm spell (level 2 white) so you can easily remove the debuff caused by failing to ID things too often. This will let you ID things in the field without worry. I'm pretty sure success depends on the user's level compared to the item's level. On top of all this, clerics also do normal damage to a few of the most annoying enemy types in the game! The only other easy alternative for that is a drake or diablon's breath attack. Those tend to lose their punch after the first use in a fight.

TRAPS. These soon become another source of instant wipes if you don't learn to deal with them. Ideally, you want a thief or ranger to check chests for traps. Rangers are more useful later on, but I hear thieves are slightly better at checking and disarming. True or not, this is moot due to "thief+" equipment which improves your success with those actions. Even a decked out thief can fail to properly identify a trap. You'll learn from experience what kind of traps you can expect to find in a given area. If your level 2 ranger tells you there's a stone gaze trap on a crappy old chest on novice road, it's safe to say he's wrong. Most traps in the game are going to be in the left column of the disarm list which is full of results that tend not to be immediately fatal. If you aren't sure, use Scan (level 2 white) for a 100% accurate result. If it really is a potentially deadly trap and you don't have enough faith in your disarming chances, use Unlock (level 6 psychic) or give up on it. A neat thing to remember is chests which are found laying around on the floor can be canceled out of and rerolled as much as you want. Keep retrying that silver chest and you may have it turn up a grade higher or lower!

Levitas (level 2 black) lets you avoid floor traps and walk over water! I've never had a random encounter while levitating over deep water. Do remember that anti-magic spaces cancel it.

Ragnarok (level 7 black) does a number of extremely powerful and useful things. If you're doing some major switching to get someone to learn it, remember it will fail when cast by anyone under... 14, I think? Also turns out the spell is bugged and can not restore lost stamina. Stamina has a hand in your stat growth on level up and goes down naturally at such a slow pace that you may never see it happen.

Phase/Teleport (5 psychic/7 black). Phase lets you teleport anywhere you've already been on the same floor. Such as to the opposite stairs if you haven't found the right magic key yet. Teleport will move you anywhere you've already been on ANY FLOOR. Such as to the exit.

As for other random stuff:
-You can run multiple parties at the same time if you want. Have them back each other up in the same dungeon or let them explore separate paths or dungeons. But remember that recovering bodies requires empty spaces in the rescue party!

-In the same vein, it can be useful to have an ID monkey and his devout helper hang out at the recycle bin in novice road. Any time you discard an item in a dungeon, it ends up in the bin. From anywhere! Inventory full? Toss some stuff, station your party, switch to your 2 man ID party and pull all the stuff out of the recycle bin! If your inventory is full when you try to loot something, the loot is gone forever.

-You can get incredible mileage out of the worthless clothes you start with if you upgrade them in the laboratory. Every upgrade adds 1 defense. That's... what? 45 defense on a fully upgraded set? I forget. It's not a reasonable cost at first due to the Hard Rock required, but keep this in mind.

-I don't know what the student ID is for and I can't find a definitive answer. Toss it.

-Try to use your tension meter often. Spending tension increases the affinity of your party members. This raises your max tension and the rate at which it's generated.

-Bosses will eventually one-shot your entire party so hard that they skip death entirely and just turn to dust. The answer to this is usually the Burst Fire gambit. It always goes first and has perfect accuracy. The sheer number of hits is belts out is likely to stun anything. Spend the round after that unloading every non-gambit you have. Repeat this as often as you're able. And maybe pray a little.

-Races. Erdgeists are not immune to instant death traps. That race in general can be drat hard to use, but they're really fun when you crosstrain them into psychiceers with white and black magic on the side. Dwarves make fantastic monks. Also valkyries, if you're so inclined. Sprites can't use most equipment and fall over dead if you look at them wrong, but they get some fairly awesome unique stuff. Drakes, you want in front. DO IT. Warrior, paladin, samurai, whatever. Celestians I have a bad record with. The others I haven't played nearly as much.

-Paladins. You want one. They learn Cover, which causes them to take most attacks in place of others. Shields usually go in the off-hand, but there are some main hand shields for dual wielding tank action. They also have one of the highest experience curves. You may want to raise it as a warrior at first for lots of quick levels and big HP bonuses. Then you can change majors to paladin. This will reduce his level to 1 and cut his max HP in half, but he'll still start out well ahead of the curve.

-The level of an evoker's summoned monster depends on the evoker's level at the time the contract is made. If you want a particular summon at a higher level, you have to raise the evoker's level before going back to reform the contract. Evokers are neat, but I can't recommend one alongside a paladin. Some summons will try to use Cover and it conflicts in nasty ways with a paladin trying to use Cover.

-Each major can only learn a certain number of spells of each level and of each type. Look at rangers. They can have up to 2 out of 4 psychic spells of every level at any given time. The ones they learn are random. If you don't like what they get, you can choose to forget any number of them. Next time the ranger levels up, the empty slots are filled with more random spells! So uh, cheese that part by saving first. On a related note, be sure to prune your list of magic before changing majors if you're switching to something that won't remember as many spells. Otherwise they're deleted at random.

This is already drat long. The rest of the stuff I remember off the top of my head are all minor things. If you have the instructions, keep them handy for stat/alignment requirements for majors. I think my main party is still something like:

Dwarf valkyrie (formerly monk). For using Bold Move safely under...
Drake paladin (formerly warrior). Cover.
Drake samurai. Access to 2 breath users AND dual wield Runslash is fun!
Elf ranger. Utility. Bows get pretty good. Elf wasn't the best choice.
Human cleric. Can't overstate her usefulness.
Erdgeist psychiceer (formerly devout/wizard). Throws every spell ever. Psychiceer last for the use of Barrier.

Edit: Infirmary donations! Donating gold rewards the character with experience at a 1:1 rate. This is fantastic later on for new recruits or old favorites that just changed majors. ALWAYS save before donating for a level up. Stats will go up and down, yes. That's normal. They all tend to end up at about normal levels in the end. It's the HP and spell gains you want control over. This game will not hesitate to give you 1-3 HP per level regardless of vitality. I was settling for something around 12 for my squishiest casters most of the time. I've seen a 24 vitality drake warrior get 40 many times.

I hate this game so much.

Sentient Toaster fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 26, 2010

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Skilleddk posted:

I just started Deus Ex, bough it during the steam sale. I completed the first mission, and kinda like the game. I never have enough lockpicks and multitools though, is there any way to buy them?

Also, how do you even break open locks? There's a strenght meter, but I can't beat anything open.
You can definitely cheese your way through multitool and lockpick requirements and keep them untrained forever, but one of the big ideas behind the game's design is resource management. There's a certain degree of tension introduced in making choices regarding things like that. Do you spend those points to make your picks/tools more efficient to bypass more doors and get more loot or would the resources be better spent on that last level of rifle training? Do you slot the useful aug now or suffer with an empty slot so you can double up on better augs later? What exactly do you plan to use those LAMs and GEP rounds on? Bots? Doors? Hilarity?

Play the game however you want. That's why it's awesome. The most common advice for Deus Ex in this thread is to take the GEP gun at the beginning, don't spend points on swimming, and set pistols to untrained during character creation for free points due to a bug. A high level rifle skill will also allow you to take out cameras with the sniper rifle. If you didn't do any of those, don't sweat it. Just have fun.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Contingency Plan posted:

After having played it years and years ago on the Xbox I'm coming back to Morrowind on its rightful PC home. Any tips for making a wizard character? What gameplay mods should I get? I've decided to stick with the default graphics because as pretty as the screenshots of Morrowind with Crysis-quality graphics are, if the thread here in Games is anything to go by it requires installing over two dozen components in a very specific order, so I'll pass.
I had a lot of fun with Magical Trinkets of Tamriel. It adds all manner of useful toys, but it's likely to be a little overpowered in some ways. There are items that let you choose to give up the ability to use certain types of equipment in exchange for a 1 point MP regeneration each. Also stones you can equip that give all kinds of different passive effects. Plus a focus cube for every school of magic that can be set to provide a passive effect with an MP drain based on your skill in that school. And necromancy.

A whole lot of stuff will turn up as random loot in barrels or whatever. So you'll end up rooting through them all over again and actually get rewarded for it. It also doesn't require a script extender or anything.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

MurraneousX posted:

After levelling up a little you should make a house mod. It's pretty much a requirement of playing the game on PC :v:

And you need to fill the house with sephiroth super swords..
I've always preferred House on the Hill/A Nice Place to Stay. Have to agree that making your own is pretty nice too. Doing something like that with the construction set isn't very hard at all and there are a lot of premade set pieces you can stick together if you're not feeling especially creative. There are some really nice guides out there.

I always required a big library to cram all my stolen books into. Which, while we're at it, used a mod for turning them all upright to fit on the shelves properly. And a texture replacement for the covers. And oh God there are 87 mods loading what's going on?

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Spermando posted:

I bought Dissidia on a whim today and I don't know a lot about it. Any tips?
There's a whole mess of Dissidia stuff in here somewhere, but here are some big ones.

Don't attack blindly. Wait for an opening or create one with a block or dodge. You can cancel out of a successful block to attack the reeling enemy. This means you're guaranteed to hit if the enemy doesn't have a full EX meter. You can also cancel a successful block into another block or a dodge, which is useful against some attacks.

When you activate EX mode, it will cancel any other action you're doing. It'll also interrupt the enemy if they're attacking you. So saving your meter to get yourself out of trouble isn't a bad idea.

When encountering higher level enemies in story mode, don't be afraid to just ignore them. It's possible to win, but the numbers are stacked very badly against you. You'll probably end up replaying each story anyway for some of the DP bonuses and treasures you missed. There are some great summons to be had from that.

ape canyon posted:

This has probable been covered, but does anyone have any advice for Secret of Evermore?
Every weapon has 3 levels. Weapons gain levels by killing enemies. Higher levels unlock charge attacks which can be used by holding down the attack button and releasing it any time after the meter fills. So as soon as you get a spear during the course of the story, get it to level 2. Maybe even level 3 if you want a somewhat easier time. I mean right then. It'll save you a great deal of trouble.

I think you can also hold R to make the dog sniff for nearby ingredients manually. Also, new offensive spells you find as you progress generally make older ones obsolete. You could go to all the trouble of maxing out Flash only to find that Crush is a great deal more powerful at a lower level. Defensive and support spells are pretty much always useful. When equipping alchemy, you may want to pay attention to overlapping components. Having 2 or 3 spells that use the same ingredient means casting one will lower the remaining uses of the others. Access to some components may also become limited at some points. Be flexible and have fun with it.

You can taunt the goat if you want, but don't taunt the chicken.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Coulis posted:

So... I bought Tactics Ogre on PSP. I played a few hours, I just reached the 2nd chapter and I'm struggling against bounty hunters.

Do you have any general tips for the game? I've never played tactical games btw.
Archers are fantastic. Bows can fire anywhere outside the displayed range, but you're not likely to hit more than 2 extra spaces on level ground. Firing from higher up makes this easier. You can use the Trajectory skill to make learning this much easier. This also works with Lobbers for tossing items. For skills, knockback and strengthen are good places to start. I often field 2 of these.

Enchantress is best used for tossing status changes everywhere. You really need to keep up with magic accuracy boosting skills to make it work well. Denying or delaying enemy actions gives you a big advantage. Give her Meditation and spam it. The only penalty is that it'll make turns come up a tiny bit slower. Look for armor that gives +1 Meditation. Robes and Magus robes do this when upgraded. 1 enchantress is enough. Especially later on.

Rune fencers/valkyries and knights are nice because they're durable and can toss heals when your clerics are too busy or too far away. Speaking of clerics, you always want one. Two for parties over 6 is an easy guideline.

Give Canopus a bow and use him all the time. He's great in his base class. Named characters like that are generally better all around, but you won't be gimping yourself in the least by using generic units.

For actual tactics, you'll learn to prioritize targets. When your archers have a shot at a caster, it's usually a good idea to take it. Gang up on single enemies, attack from behind and try not to let your slower or more vulnerable characters get isolated. For equipment, upgrading is a pain in the rear end because it's so poorly done. So if you can only tolerate a little, always upgrade weapons. Save before trying to bypass the pointless failure chance and save yourself from even more crafting.

A lot of people suggest recruiting hawkmen to use as archers. This isn't a bad idea at all and they even have their own archer class now! So give someone Recruit and Anatomy and keep an eye out for hawkmen with low loyalty if you want any. Press select and check his name to get an idea how he feels, then lower his HP as much as you can before moving next to him and trying to recruit. You can make it a little less painful if you save before trying and reload or use Chariot if it fails. If it does fail, it'll always fail on that attempt no matter how many times you reload. So just reload and try again next round.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Skeezy posted:

Been playing a lot of Wild ARMs 5 recently and now I want to get back into WA 1+2. Any tips or whatnot for either of those games?
Wild ARMs 2

-For personal skills, don't buy anything else until you've maxed HP Up. The effects are not retroactive. Parameter Up is pretty awesome too. Lilka should max MAtk Up for sure. PAtk/MAtk on anyone else is mostly preference. Defenses are decent too.

-Don't bother with status resistance skills since maxing them won't even make you immune. There are enough other ways to negate specific status changes, such as Status Lock. At least I think I remember it being in WA2. Don't waste points on any effects that happen at level up or near-death effects.

-Also don't bother upgrading Brad's accuracy ever. You'll be swimming in more than enough FP to Lock On every round. So spend the upgrades on power and maybe an extra bullet or three. I like to settle on something around 90% accuracy for Ashley's weapons.

-Apply crest caps liberally. It's an easy way to carry around free revives or an important buff until you amass a big pile of crest graphs. Even after that, Ashley can always use Accellerator to pop one without risk.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Skeezy posted:

I was asking before about Wild Arms 1 + 2 and I got some stuff for the second game but nothing on the first. I just picked up Alter Code F (since I want to have all the games in the series on PS2, shame that WA2 doesn't have a remake) anyways is there anything special about Alter Code F that I should know or no?
I couldn't think of anything at the time and I've never played Alter Code F, but the original Wild ARMs is a really straightforward game. Even the stuff that stands out isn't anything really special. Like don't bother upgrading Rudy's accuracy. And you'll probably want to save your secret scrolls for Magnum Fang, but that's mostly preference. Abuse the hell out of Mystic too. Multi-target status removal and healing. You should even Mystic your revive fruits to heal any party members still standing. Status Lock is also very useful, but be careful when you cast it or you'll screw yourself over.

It seems safe to guess the duplication trick was removed in the remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

RentACop posted:

I picked up God Eater Burst, I think I'm about halfway in but I was wondering if there were any useful tips. Also gently caress Vajras
Hey God Eater buddy. I just picked this up a couple weeks ago too. Currently plowing through chapter 5 with no trouble so far and I've learned a few useful things.

Heavier shield classes will reduce damage a great deal more than lighter ones while blocking, but they deploy a tiny bit slower. I didn't see this mentioned for a while.

I like to use short blades against really fast bosses like Vajra. Crowd its hind legs and keep the pressure on. Step cancel to keep up as it tries to turn around. Then the only thing you'll have to watch for is the lightning explosions centered on you or itself. You can block it from anywhere inside the radius if you face the center. It can get a little frenzied when it rages, but that's when you use a stun grenade if you need breathing room.

Generally, I try to equip and boost elemental weaknesses for bosses. It's getting to the point where that stuff is showing up on my gear so I can use upgrade slots for other fun things like wide guard or charge power up when I'd rather use a buster.

I also like railguns so I can get awesome boosts and cheaper OP costs on lasers. The best bullets seem to be expensive compound bullets. For example, the ones I use now I can usually fire 3 times before running out. It's just a series of tightly packed lasers.

On missions against multiple bosses, you pretty much always want to separate them. Sometimes you begin the mission completely surrounded. That's when you hide and order the party to disperse. Watch the map and attack anything that gets singled out as they chase everyone else. If you start the mission with no enemies in sight, tell them to search instead. That can keep anything they find from joining up with the others. NPCs do a good job of taking care of themselves so anyone left playing decoy will be fine with at least one other person there.