Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

BadAstronaut posted:

Anyone want to do me some Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura starter advice?

Great idea for a thread.

There was a patch and mod pack that was available in past Arcanum threads but I can't seem to track it down. You might want to start here since it looks like this is the only remaining active community. Anyways, if you want to play a thief character and are interested in the thieves' guild, make sure you have at least one point in persuasion by the time you go to your first town. With an unmodified version of the game, tech characters are underpowered and magic characters are overpowered so plan accordingly. Also remember you can't ride trains if you're too magic-oriented.

Master of Orion
-If you play as the Alkaris then you want to use huge stacks of small ships. These get a nice defensive bonus and combined with your racial bonus they will be extremely hard to hit.
-Don't neglect missiles. Beam weapons are nice but you generally can't use them until you move to close range which wastes your first few turns.
-Try to acquire outdated ship tech. You may have something better but you want as many options as possible if you need to downgrade something to save on space or cost.
-Never ever pass up chances to build missile bases, factories or automation all the way to capacity at the first opportunity. This will maximize a planet's output quicker and is better in the long run since you wont have to play catchup upon further discoveries.
-Never allow any one civilization to become too expansive, even it means going to war. If they're elected in the galactic council then it's likely game over so keep everyones' voting power(except yours) balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

I just purchased Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition and any remaining modules, so I should have everything "official" for the game. I know about the Player Resource Consortium mod which adds classes, spells and the like, but is this something I should be using on a first play-through? Any other mods out there that might be worth looking into? Is there a resource that ranks or reviews player-created modules, someplace that details which are worth downloading?

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

HedgeHodge posted:

I'm playing the original Baldur's Gate with the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion and I was wondering if anyone has any tips. I've already brushed up on my AD&D rules and things like that.

Your party will be fairly weak until later in the game so you may want to save before even a seemingly easy battle. If a character joins up and tells you that they need to get somewhere, try to head that way as soon as you can. It's easy to get sidetracked and that particular NPC may leave you for good. Unlike BG2, there's lots of optional side areas to explore so feel free to adventure out to these areas but also make sure to expect some challenging suprises as well. Besides that, try not to miss out on the stat tomes, the powerful artifact just east of the Friendly Arm entrance, and the very useful item hidden in the farm fields in Nashkel.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

With Empire: Total War coming out soon I've recently taken an interest in the series and I was wondering if someone could give me just a brief rundown on how the Total War games play out gameplay-wise. I have plenty of experience with RTS games going all the way back to Dune 2, but the only real-time tactics game I've played was Sid Meier's Gettysburg and that was years ago when it came out. The Total War games seem to be universally praised, but before I purchase them I wanted to get some idea of how they operate compared to your average RTS game.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

I'm thinking of trying to track down the old X-Wing games, namely X-Wing, Tie Fighter, X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, and also any expansions to these games. Before I do that though, I've read that some of the various editions of these actually require a joystick to play. Ideally I'd like to avoid having to purchase one, so I was wondering if anyone knew which editions have this requirement.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

I'm looking to dive into Starflight for the first time, specifically the Genesis version. Technically I attempted to play this before, but if I remember right I had some trouble finding/selling resources and I ran out of fuel and got stranded. This time I'd like to get a good start so I ask for some general tips for the beginning.

I have team membership down from DSimpson's FAQ so really it's just ship and shuttle config as well as locating and using resources effectively. For planetary landings, is it better to traverse manually from resource to resource or instead land and re-land?

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

I'm thinking about going through the Quest for Glory games starting with QFG2 since I've played 1 so much already. I'll be starting with the AGD remake of 2 as a wizard and going all the way to the end of 5.

First off, will 5 even run on 32-bit Vista? I can find out how to tinker with it if necessary but I want to make sure it's at least a possibility. Also, are there any "dead-end", game-ending puzzles in QFG 2 through 5? Sierra is infamous for these so I'd like a heads-up if possible.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

I've just started Icewind Dale 2 and I had a quick question regarding the music. Music will first play when reaching the title screen, but is it also supposed to loop? Basically once the track plays once it doesn't play again while I'm creating characters. Also, is music supposed to play right after the first conversation with the boat captain, and is some sort of battle theme supposed to play when fighting those first few goblins?

I know I had some music issues with IWD1 so I hope what's described above is normal and not a glitch.

Edit: Looking at a few video LP's, it looks like others experience the exact same thing. So unlike BG, there isn't a battle theme and music is few and far between? If that's the case cool, just want to make sure I'm not missing out.

Jive One fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 11, 2010

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

On the first level of Ultima Underworld, there's the ankh-shaped shrine which is sealed by an unbreakable door. There's supposed to be a switch on the south wall, but how the heck do you get to it? It isn't down by the water so it must be on the elevated platform, but I can see no way of possibly jumping to reach it.

Do seeing orbs serve any function besides providing information?

I found a "green potion", but is there any way to determine what it does or do I just need a higher appraise skill? I'm also finding a few different varieties of plants which look different, although are labelled the same.

Is it wise to carry a backup sword? Backup armor?

After getting the interface and commands down, this game is shaping up to be absolutely amazing. The music is especially atmospheric and I like how the various sections of the levels have their own character.

Edit: Thanks for the tips!

Jive One fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 20, 2010

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

lordfrikk posted:

Hey, I'm looking for some tips on Space Rangers 2 (Reboot).

Your initial missions will mainly be delivery and the distance determines the reward. When you first start out take the easier ones that only require one or possibly two jumps, else you'll run out of fuel and fail the mission.

Related to that, don't forget that certain ship chassis have boosters which will greatly cut down the time it takes to traverse a system. You pay for it in repairs though.

Don't forget you can communicate with other ships! This is great if you're being attacked by, or gunning down, a pirate or other criminal. Simply ask surrounding ships for assistance but realize that they will immediately go for any equipment from the destroyed vessel.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

These are extremely old-school, but any tips for the Ishar games? My experience with these types of RPGs is extremely limited so more general tips would be appreciated as well. A few basic questions I had...

-Should I keep multiple saves and is it possible to get "stuck" via puzzles or lost items?

-Is food required and should I be sparing or just consume whenever?

-Any particular party compositions or character designs that work better than others in the Ishar games specfically?

And of course anything else that could be helpful.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

A Strange Aeon posted:

I apologize if someone's posted some tips on the first Master of Orion game already, but I could use some.

I've messed around a little, but so far I'm last in everything when the news reports come and I get my rear end blown up in any kind of space fight.

Any tips for like the first 25-50 turns? I know the different factions probably have different strategies, but I'd think there's some basic stuff that would be useful.

If you're playing a smaller map I'd recommend keeping your colony ship at home until you send your two scouts out. This is in case you run into the Guardian who will deal you a huge blow if your colony ship runs into it.

Environmental and factory techs make a huge difference in that they raise your population and the number of factories they can control. Upon completion of these techs the research screen will ask if you want to increase funding and you should definitely do so.

Missiles are great in this game as are planetary missle bases so build these up as you can.

If you're playing as the Alkari then always go for small and medium class ships(preferably small). You get a ship size defense bonus and a racial ship defense bonus which along with great thrusters will make you very hard to hit. Plus these size ships can be built quickly and they add up.

Unless you're the Silicoids, try to ally with Humans and Psilons as they will both be helpful allies if someone declares war on you.

Finally, build up trade and research agreements as they will pay off in the long run.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

A few questions about SaGa Frontier.

I chose T260 as my first character and so far it's been fun although I'm confused about a few things.

-I have equipped two firearms, a rocket launcher and a basic rifle. These seem to just be limited by ammo(which recharges each battle), but they don't use technique points right?

-Do I need to equip healing/consumables in a slot to use them in battle? If I equip the backpack would that function as the traditional "item" command and allow me to access all the non-equipped items like healing potions and such?

-On the skill screen for Gen, I noticed that the more skills he had equipped the more filled-in the blue bar was at the top of the screen. After a certain point a crown appeared. What significance does this have?

-In what way does it matter which type of attacks I use? For example punching with T260 versus using the gun attacks. Does this affect learning skills or stat increase or anything like that?

Tips on these or any other issues would be much appreciated.

EDIT: One last quick question. I noticed that when I fought Vulcan(the first boss), that his attacks seemed to completely miss me. He would fire his guns and T260 would spin off to the side and suffer no damage. Was this due to an item/technique I had equipped that activated automatically? Or was it just a "story" fight that was unloseable?

Jive One fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 6, 2011

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Awesome, thanks for the tips guys.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

In Might and Magic III(and Xeen as well) is there any way to detect traps, either environmental or those on treasure chests, without simply stumbling into them? Is there any way to disarm traps or avoid their damage without using the jump, levitate or etherealise spells?

Edit: One other question. Should the last two character slots be saved for hirelings or is it better to use them for two more created characters?

Jive One fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Any suggestions for Black Crypt, the one by Raven Software for Amiga?