Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Captain Novolin posted:

Specifically, you get special recruits which aren't the best (except the guy from the intel operative rescue) but are really great to have early on.

I'm pretty early on in TPP and would be down to get some decent recruits; if I went back and did the GZ side ops, would the recruits show up the next time I loaded TPP, or would I have to start a new save?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

al-azad posted:

They patched GZ so you can upload your save then download at any time on TPP. The most important thing is getting the S Rank support operative. Some achievements unlocked in GZ give you a handful of mooks. You'll get the Solid Snake skin if you unlocked it in Deja Vu and an alternate sneaking suit. You'll have to beat a mission or two after transferring before they show up.

Good info, thanks!

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

Anything for Talos Principle? I'm mostly worried about if there's missable things.

Nothing's missable, once you've unlocked an area you can go back to it whenever you want. This is good because if you're like me, you'll read a guide for the later puzzles and then find out there were puzzles in the early stages you didn't even know existed.

Otherwise, read the terminals, find the audio logs, and take some time out to explore. The story is fairly straight-forward but the terminals/logs provide a lot of good backstory. You can also access the logs whenever you want after you've found them if you want to go over them again.

Also, you'll blow up a few times, I guarantee it.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

Anything I should know about the PS4 version of Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls (or whatever) edition? Especially all that Paragon tab stuff.

You can reset your Paragon tab selections whenever you want, for free, so you don't have to stress that too much. Paragon levels are also shared across all characters, so once you have a few, any alt you start will already be buffed. My main tip would be that movement speed bonuses cap out at +25%, so factor in how much you're getting from gear and talents before piling it all on in Paragon points too.

Also, higher difficulty levels give you more gold and exp, but it isn't worth it if you're constantly dying. Sometimes the better course is to steamroll Torment I instead of slogging through Torment II.

Finally, when you do start an alt, socket the biggest red gem you can find in a weapon, pick a high difficulty level, and level that sucker so fast you won't have time to try out all the new skills you're getting.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

chairface posted:

For Goldbox I'm gonna split between Forgotten Realms and Krynn serieses here:

Forgotten Realms: if you're seriously playing through all of em in order with one party, be aware non-human characters are absolutely not going to be viable as anything but a thief past the second game, and thieves are themselves pretty superfluous (no real lockpicking/trapspringing to be done and in combat their backstab is fiddly and underwhelming.) That said, you can't make rangers or paladins until the second game, so feel free to bring an elf fighter-mage-thief or whatever for the first game aware you're ditching em later anyway. In the 4th game it is incredibly important you win initiative rolls so EVERYONE needs good dex; hold out for good dex rolls on everyone in chargen unless you're just gonna edit stats anyway later. Also by the 4th game, the 1st ed D&D power curve is all about magic at the high end so expect to need to dual-class everyone through a spellcaster class at some point. Past that, be sure to try out different spells. Status effects and area-denial spells (Stinking Cloud in particular) can be devastating, even compared to the obvious mass-damage spells like fireball/lightning bolt/etc.

Krynn: Forget everything I said about about nonhumans; no racial level-caps in krynn so non-humans own and multiclassing rather than dual classing is great. It's ok to have a thief, as they get more (ie: any) opportunities to do thief stuff. Ideally said thief is a kender thief-cleric, although dwarven fighter-thief can also be good. This is still 1st ed dnd though so everything about spellcasting rapidly outpacing melee combat applies. In spite of that you'll still want at least Solamnic Knight for storyline/in-game event stuff. Be aware a super-common enemy in krynn, the baaz draconian, turns to stone upon dying and can thus disarm a character by trapping their weapon in the stone. Carry backup melee weapons and don't forget to re-equip sensibly after combats.

Was it one of these series where evil alignment PCs betrayed your party at the very end, or was it a different D&D series?

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

I picked up the STALKER series as part of the Steam autumn sale. Is there anything I need to know for Shadow of Chernobyl or Clear Sky, or can I just apply what the wiki has for Call of Pripyat (aside from clearly CoP-specific stuff)? Recommendations for stability/QoL mods (if any) would be great too.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

A few things for Night in the Woods:
  • It's possible to hang out with multiple people each day. A day only ends when you decide to spend time with Bea, Gregg, or Angus, or when you go to band practice. Partway through the game there's a mini-game you can play with Gregg that doesn't end the day.
  • Later on in the story you'll choose between three places to investigate. The endgame starts after you've investigated two of the three places.
  • Some events are mutually exclusive, so you won't be able to fill out your journal in one play-through.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

While we are at it, any tips for the Friends video game?!

At a certain point the game will suggest that you take a break. Do so if you like (although you don't really have a choice), but God help you if you use that break to play a different game.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, you've convinced me to finally pick up La Mulana next steam sale.

I just looked and they both happen to be on sale at this very moment: 75% off for the first one and 50% off for the second one

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

Flaggy posted:

I have never played Fallout New Vegas anything I should know? Any mods I should be using?

The entry on the wiki is surprisingly* thorough, but there are two things I'd call out:

1. Don't set any of your SPECIAL stats to 10 during character creation. There are implants you can buy later on that permanently increase each SPECIAL stat by one, and increasing a SPECIAL stat past 10 doesn't get you anything. You can get one implant for each SPECIAL stat, with the total number of implants being limited by your Endurance stat.
2. Partway through the story, you can reset any negative reputation you may have with either of the big factions. So, if you happen to piss them off early, you're not precluded from siding with them later on. Not that you have to side with anyone if you'd rather go your own way.

*Okay, maybe not surprisingly

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

Gun Jam posted:

Purchase advice: Final Fantasy VII (remake and original)
a. So I've been under the impression that the remake goes to different places, plot-wise, than the original. How true? Is it worth it to play both to get a full experience, or just play one?
b. remake - is the steam release a fine port, or they butchered it?
c. original - given the game's age (and again, referring to the steam version), does it run fine out of the box? Need/heavily adviced fan-patches?

(is this the right thread for it, or there's a better one?)

For c., yeah, it'll run fine as installed from Steam. I played it about a year ago and didn't run into any issues that I can remember, especially any that required patches or workarounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

Some pointers for My Time at Sandrock:
  • You don't need to have played My Time at Portia first, but Sandrock has enough QoL improvements over it that it might be tough playing Portia after Sandrock.
  • This game is a marathon, not a sprint. You'll have plenty of time to explore and mess around with things even if you finish every mission as soon as it pops up.
  • If you find that days are going by too fast or too slow, you can adjust the rate that time passes in the game settings. Just know that crafting times are based on the game clock, not real time.
  • You can build a huge workshop and stockpile materials & products if you want to, but you'll never need to. Two or three of each machine (maybe one each of the more specialty machines) should be enough.
  • That said, there is an optional mission early on that requires 30 paper on a short timeframe, so it wouldn't hurt to build up a buffer while you're doing other things.
  • Partway through the story there will be a 'point of no return' warning. It does lead to a big plot beat, but you won't be locked out of your workshop or anything.