Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uab
Sep 13, 2007
Hungry

CloseFriend posted:

Don't forget, this is probably as good a place as any to make requests if you don't feel like you're playing a game "right."

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I could use advice on Ultima 7 and Final Fantasy Tactics. :shobon:

Ultima 7
Assuming you're talking about the Black Gate, because that one can be tough to get a handle on at first.

Use a walkthrough/guide to help you find the following before doing anything else:
1. Spellbook
2. Magic carpet
3. Your core companions (Iolo, Dupre, Shamino). Also keep Spark.
4. Forge of Virtue

Your character will have to die at least once to move the plot. Go let some dragons kill you or something, just make sure your companions don't die.

From there just see where the game takes you. Don't go around killing random people because it could be easy to break the plot. Don't throw away items that seem "important" (Rudyom's Wand, the Prisms).

Different trainers give different stats, so use game hints or a guide to figure out which ones you'd prefer your companions to be strong in.

If you walk into a portal and all your companions disappear, load the game and politely ask them to leave, so they can rejoin when you're done with that portal.

Don't let your companions carry important items, because sometimes they'll randomly drop all their poo poo and lose it forever.

Bake lots of bread. Pick up the Hoe of Destruction (go fishing for the key). Cast Armageddon (but don't save). Use the Black Sword on Lord British (but don't save).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uab
Sep 13, 2007
Hungry

CloseFriend posted:

I meant Serpent Isle too, but that'll do me! I'm not used to Western RPGs like I am with Japanese ones, and the transition is a hard one. I was planning to finish the Black Gate first anyway for obvious reasons.

Finish up everything that you can before confronting the guy that you've been chasing for half the game. This means do all your quests, training, purchases, etc.

Don't wear gwani cloaks (I don't think doing so will break the plot, but just to be safe).

When you're collecting special waters, it'll save you time if you get two buckets of each type (some will go unused: I forget which ones you need extras for).

Do not double-click any pillars within the Silver Seed expansion (this bug might be fixed in Exult, anyway).

Go to Silver Seed as early as possible and at least talk to everyone in the command post until you get the key ring. Again, you'll have to die at least once in order to even get the ability to enter Silver Seed, so let some wolves kill you or something.

cmndstab posted:

On BG and SI, inventory management is a bitch, so get lets of bags inside your backpack and use them to manage it a bit better.

And (in Black Gate) use a barrel instead of backpack when you're strong enough. You'll know when you're strong enough.

Edit: Also learn your shortcut keys. "Ctrl + F" is food, and in Exult "Ctrl + K" will always choose the right key for a lock.

Uab fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 1, 2008