Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

Do Thomas's storyline as early as possible as it's through that that you get your castle. Thomas unlocks after Ch.1 of Geddoe, Ch. 2 of Chris, or Ch. 3 of Hugo. Also give Thomas first dibs when it comes to recruiting characters as he needs them the most.

You get an extra chapter (that you really, really want) if you manage to recruit all 108 characters. Unlike other Suikoden games, there aren't a lot of permanently missable ones, but there is a major exception to this rule in Ch. 5 during a part where you're controlling Geddoe. There is a fight or flight decision that the game seems to indicate is a "but thou must" situation that actually isn't—choose to stay and fight every time the choice comes up.

Most if not all of the storyline battles you're "supposed" to lose are actually winnable, and the ensuing scenes change slightly to reflect your victory. There is no real reason to do this, but drat if it isn't satisfying.

You really should play Suikoden 1 and/or 2 first, if only because the Big Shocking Reveal isn't if you start with 3, as you won't have any history with the character it involves.

Also, the backtracking is loving terrible, and there is nothing you can do about it until Ch. 4. It is ultimately worth putting up with, though.

I've played through the first back when it came out, but Suikoden II is near impossible to find for a reasonable price, I'll try to hunt it down though, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

The reflex aug is a handy one to have in general, especially if you're trying to be stealthy. That way when you find two guards standing next to each other talking, you can just take them both out at once instead of waiting for them to split up and doing it one by one, or trying to quickly stun one and then take down the other.

On the other hand, I found the Stealth aug to be pretty much useless and completely unnecessary to take.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Is there anything I should know about Armored Core 4?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I just got Starcraft II , anything I should know that's radically different from the first game + expansion, or is it more of the same?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I just grabbed Monster Hunter Tri. What should I know about it?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Turns out my parents got me Metal Gear Solid HD and my girlfriend got me Divinity II : DKS. What should I know about Peace Walker and DKS?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I just picked up Icewind Dale. What should I know before I play?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm about to start Wizardry 8. Anything I should know?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Anything I should know for Dead Rising 2: Off the Record? I've played the original DR2 quite a bit, and was wondering if there was anything new to watch out for or anything I'd want to make sure to do.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I finally got around to picking up Dark Souls today. Mainly, the only advice I hear is bascially "don't worry about dying. Because you will. A lot." Is it like the Dead Rising games in that respect?

Not really. Just know that if you die, it's probably your fault. There's a few times that you'll die to something that's kind of out of your control, but that's not often. Take it slow, and I'd suggest waiting to check on how to do things or where to go unless you're really stuck. In PvE, most weapons are viable, so just use what you think is cool or fun. Remember that you can play through the game again after beating it for tougher enemies, and learn how to parry before you get too far in the game. If you're human, you can be invaded, but you can also summon people withing 10% of your soul level to help you out on bosses or against invaders.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Does The Darkness II work better with a controller or mouse and keyboard? Normally I'd always go M/KB on an FPS but the darkness arms seem to make much more sense with the four trigger setup of a 360 controller.

I usually prefer M/KB, but I liked the game with a 360 controller more than M/KB in this instance.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Okay, thanks. One last Q, there's a Downloadable Content option in the main menu but nothing in the Steam store. Is that something that just hasn't been used yet, or is it them being lazy and not porting DLC from consoles to PC?

I'm not sure about that, I haven't played the game since release, but I'd assume it wasn't used yet.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Anything I should know for Soul Nomad, Yakuza 1 and 2, and Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix? I've played KH2 original before, and was wondering if there was anything to watch out for or get that isn't easily picked up from just playing.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

I am terrible at Civ 4, help. Specifically I'd like to know how the hell to conquer cities and win wars and stuff.

I'd suggest heading over to here. That guide helps tremendously when you're starting out.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I was looking for my old King's Field games and found Severance: Blade of Darkness. I've never actually played it, but it runs fine surprisingly, so I was wondering if there was anything I should know before I play if anyone remembers the game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

iLonie posted:

First of all, congrats - it's still one of my favourite games. Important things to note: :words:

Thanks for the tips, looks like my kind of game!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I finally found Romance of the 3 Kingdoms 10 for PS2. Anything I should know about it?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Rather Dashing posted:

I've actually been holding off on playing Knights of the Old Republic 2 until the 'completion' mod was completed: that time has come. I have to admit though, it's been a long time since I played the original. I'm not really sure how to build a balanced in force powers and combat character. Any pointers?

If you're playing a male character, Handmaiden is surprisingly good with unarmed, and she carried me through quite a bit of the game until I got stasis field.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Anything I should know about Driver: San Francisco?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Any tips for Sleeping Dogs? I got the 360 version if that helps.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I just found some games on Gamersgate that I've had for a while that I can finally run on my PC. Anything for Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, Dawn of Discovery Gold, Metro 2033 or World in Conflict Complete? Thanks.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Anything for Sacred 2 Gold with the community patch? The game's a bit confusing to me.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Anything for Baldur's Gate 2 that's not on the wiki or the Geneforge series of games?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Anything for Final Fantasy XII: International?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Anything for Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Anything for Disgaea 4? The only other NIS game I've played is Soul Nomad.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Anything I should know about the FF7 version on steam? Apparently it has the proper music now - anything else that should be changed / modded?

You can head over to the Qhimm forums to see if any models/music replacements catch your eye, though you'll have to "downgrade" away from having achievements for that. Don't use the bootlegger, use the 7thHeaven tool if you decide to install any mods. Nothing really necessary, but you may find something you like there. Note that the "full size" models for field look like poo poo in game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

FredMSloniker posted:

So I'm finally getting around to playing Pokemon X, and the various additions to the core formula have me befuddled. Pokemon-Amie? Super Training? Trainer videos? Can someone give me a quick summary of what new stuff is worth bothering with? I can get detailed information somewhere like Bulbapedia, I'm sure, but I want to get the basic 'look into this because' rundown.

If you want to just play through the game, you don't really need to worry about any of that. The training can raise your Effort Values (EV's), instead of battling, which helps if you want a "perfect" pokemon. Pokemon-Amie raises affection values, which can help in battle and (I think) some pokemon evolve from affection. Pretty much, don't bother with those features if they don't interest you, but they're nice to have if you want to better your pokemon past just leveling them.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Any tips for Sacred 2?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

TerryLennox posted:

Any tips for not getting the poo poo pushed in Metal Gear Revengeance? I'm playing keyboard mouse and feel that whomever designed this battle system thinks I have an extra arm or fingers on the bottom of my left wrist.

Nah, they just expect you to have a controller, which you really should for that type of game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Why the recommendation for a wired controller?

The wireless one needs an adapter that isn't made anymore.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Dang that is a good video. Can anything be parried, then? I totally did not think you could parry a giant stomping foot (but then, I guess I'm used to other games where there are 'blockable' moves and 'non-blockable' moves)

The only things you can't parry pretty much are fire blasts and yellow colored abilities, which need to be dodged.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Hello friends. I got Wolf Among Us, Murdered: Soul Suspect, Arkham Origins and Thief (the new one) for Christmas.

Please tell me how to play my big-boy games.

If you want to get all the challenges done the first time through on Origins, you'll probably need to find a guide as one of the sets of challenges is meant to be done in very specific areas and become impossible, or near to, if you miss that spot to complete each level.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

What should I know about Cities: Skylines and Driveclub?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Anything for Don't Starve/Together?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

The most important thing you can build survivability-wise is the Crock Pot. It costs 3 Cut Stone (which costs 9 Rocks total), 6 Charcoal (which you get by setting trees on fire, usually with a torch, and then chopping them), and 4 Twigs (which you get goddamn everywhere). From there, you can use it to cook Meatballs (1 meat--even Monster Meat + 3 anything that isn't Twigs), which will turn your food that, when cooked, will barely provide 20 hunger, into a dish that restores 65 hunger and a little bit of health, too. It's the biggest thing for economizing your food consumption.

Rule #2, do not set up your camp near a rocky biome--those are the ones with lots of boulders that you can mine. Rocky biomes regularly get meteor showers to replenish their supply of raw stone, but its range extends a couple screen-lengths beyond the edge of the zone and meteors will destroy any structure they hit.

Thanks for the tips here and above, my friend and I played some last night and didn't know about rule 2 - we lost our stuff :v:, but the game's really fun.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Anything for persona 4 golden if I've played through the original?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Blood and Wine especially is pretty much an epilogue, so play it after the main game and Hearts of Stone. I played both after the main game and it made more sense I think.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Like, another spot to go other than the first? What's different there?

Also, out of curiousity, what happens in Persona 5 if you hit your deadline without doing the palace? Is it like Persona 4, in that it just rolls back a week of time?

Yes, but also you get an awful and sad ending for each palace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Anything for Bloodlust: Shadowhunter?