Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Final Fantasy Tactics
- Chemists are better healers than White Mages at the start of the game (and arguably later on). Here's why:
White Mages need MP, spells hit a + formation which can target allies and enemies with good range, takes time to cast, the effect of spells is based on the target's faith, and takes time to cast.
Chemists need a quantity of items, hits a single target with good range, is used immediately, and the effect is constant.
There's ways to negate the White Mage's issues (abilities, experience with the game) but for starting off, Chemists rock and they get better when you get access to Guns.
I'm sure the guys more experienced with smashing FFT will correct me on this, but I found Chemists far more useful than White Mages on my first playthrough and every one after
- Monsters are trash. Don't use them.
- The following skills are awesome: Concentrate (from Archers, 100% hit chance), Blade Grasp (from Samurai, your Brave score becomes your evade chance against almost every weapon), Teleport (from Time Mages, move to any square that you could normally based on your move, but ignore height and obstacles like enemy units)

Dynasty Warriors 3
- If you're having trouble on a level in Musou Mode, you can play in Free Mode with your character to improve their stats then when you go back to Musou Mode your character will keep the stat upgrade you got in free mode
- Generally each level has one HP and Musou Up (Yellow Turban Rebellion has two). If you're grinding for life/musou, do short missions you can finish quickly.
- Holding down the Musou button makes your musou attack last longer
- Archers are horribly overpowered and arrows will always cause you to flinch. Always have Shelled Armour equipped and if you have Xtreme Legends, Musou Armor when unlocked. Learn to hate fighting Sun Quan because he has way too many archers.
- You can save midbattle at any time and reload from that save over and over, even after dying. Abuse this for those long missions, especially when getting 4th/5th weapons.
- He Fei Castle. Do not enter the central garden area. Ever. That is the worst mistake you could possibly make because it spawns an army of archers
- Only you can kill commanders. Don't expect your allies to do it, but they make excellent targets for the enemy commander to attack.
- Getting 1000 KOs gives your entire army 7 star moral which makes them near invulnerable
- The Square-Square-Square-Square-Triangle (only possible with a level 2+ item) attack is great for combos, and killing enemies with a 8-hit combo improves the item they drop. For example a Attack/Defense +1 item becomes a +2 item. Gate Captains drop +1 defense items so killing them with a 8-hit combo makes them drop a +2 defense item, and there are a lot of gate captains
- Gates always have a healing item in one of the urns. Run to them when you really need life.
- Lu Bu will kill you if you fight him. Seriously stay away.

God Hand
- You will die a lot. Don't worry, there is a minimal penalty for dying (you go back to the last checkpoint, having to refight some enemies and the gold you get at the end of the level will be lower. You keep every bit of gold you found before you died, your life gauge gets refilled, and your tension and roulette orbs goes back to what they were at the checkpoint)
- R2 lets you use the God Hand when you have enough tension. Use it frequently when you think you're in trouble because that's what its there for. Don't hoard it like FF players hoard Elixers then never use them.
- Fighting multiple enemies at once is one of the biggest killers in the game. If possible fight one enemy at a time. If there's a group of enemies waiting for you, throw something at one of them or taunt from a distance to try and draw one of them away from the group towards you.
- Don't miss Yes Man Kablam behind the chair in the first boss room. It builds up tension for using the God Hand and its great to use against dizzied enemies. After hitting an enemy push up on the right analog stick to replace the long cooldown animation with a quick duck (you can do this with a lot of different moves and its incredibly useful)

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 29, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Mr E posted:

What should I know before going to the first dungeon in Onett in Earthbound?

- Don't worry too much about conserving PP. When you get outside (I think its 2/3rds of the way through) there's a magic butterfly that gives you 20PP for free and you can make it respawn by going back into the cave then goign outside again.

- PSI FavoriteThing is handy during the boss fight (he has two flunkies and PSI FavoriteThing hits all targets) and at that level it should be enough to win without much trouble by then (you learn it at level 10).

- There's a hidden clubhouse where a kid will give you a cap that's better than anything else available. I think its by the library with a kid standing guard so it shoudn't be hard to find. It isn't significant, but every bit helps.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

RotationSurgeon posted:

Dynasty Warriors 3
- If you have a choice to duel with an officer, the general consensus is to not do so. Usually in field combat you will have the advantage due to having that officer attack your allies giving you an opening to hit them; you lose this advantage in duel-mode as you are the only one fighting the officer.
There are no duels in DW3. You're thinking of DW4. Also duels suck in DW4 because the enemy gets unlimited musou. They can do their musou attack at will. I died in a duel because the enemy musou'd me three times in a row and I was not expecting such a cheap move.

RotationSurgeon posted:

Lu Bu
His combos do absurd damage, his horse is crazy, he's fast as hell, he attacks you the moment he gets up from being knocked down and he HAS BACKUP in the mission where you can fight him. Do not pursue Lu Bu.

He also doesn't flinch when hit (unless you got a lot of attack) so when you're hitting him he can hit you back mid-combo!

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Final Fantasy 5
- Learn L5 Death in the Ancient Library. I think Page 128 uses it and to learn it the blue mage needs to get hit by it (and die) then get revived before the battle ends.

- Learn Doom Claw when escaping from the fire castle after the Fire Ship. The boss uses it and it paralyzes the target and it brings their HP into the single digits range. It even works on some bosses!

- When you reach the first castle in FF5, go into its basement. Its filled with statues who are vulnerable to L5 Death and give you the most AP at that point in the game. Great time to grind classes!

- Mastering Hunter gives you RapidFire which is 4 attacks at half damage and perfect accuracy.

- Near the end of the game in the town outside the forest you get the choice to get a Brave Sword (gets stronger the more fights you win) and the Chicken Knife (gets stronger as you run away more). Take the Chicken Knife, the Brave Sword gets weaker when you run away but the Chicken Knife doesn't and its damage calculation takes Speed and Strength into account. Its the best weapon of the game!

- Bare/Freelancer get the passive abilities of all classes you've mastered with few exceptions (like AutoBerserk) and the highest base stats of any mastered classes. So if you master Monk and Knight, the Bare class gets the best stats out of both classes and all passive abilities the class has, like MaxHP+30%.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Phetz posted:

When you start a game in Morrowind, do this:
There's a few more steps to easy cash at the start:

1) Behind Sellus Gravius on the shelf is a key to the warehouse which had a bunch of gear in it, but the timing is difficult: You need to grab and drop the key before Sellus grabs you. Make sure you drop anything else you've grabbed in the house too or Sellus will take it and be as far away from Sellus as possible when you grab the key. I'd say wait for grabbing stuff in the previous rooms until after you grab the key just in case you screw up. You can always pick the lock or cast open on the door to the warehouse anyways.

Once you're in the warehouse watch out for the one patrolling guard (if he sees you stealing stuff he'll grab you) and grab all the stuff in the boxes in the circular room. Lots of gear to sell here.

2) Exit the town, and head north along the coast line. Before long you'll find a dead body. Search it, take everything it has, and go back to the guy who creates your character class. He'll offer you a reward if you kill the murderer so go to one of the little shaks and talk to the occupant about the murder. One of them will say he did it so kill him and return. Say hello to an extra $500!

Bonus: Get the ring and return it to the woman who lives in the lighthouse for two free healing potions.

3) If you have Tribunal installed, rest just outside of town until an assasin attacks you. Kill him (or run to some guards and let them do the dirty work) and take the assasin's gear. It's worth about a grand or so.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Palleon posted:

That said, I would try to go through the game using mostly Einherjar in your party instead of any human characters that join up, as they may leave your party at points, and if you don't have someone able to substitute in, you're going to be in a lot of trouble.

Listen to this. Always have a few Einherijar in the reserve if you do want to use the main characters because you never know!

Guess who ended up having to do a few dungeons without a full party? :suicide:

Plus transferring them doesn't get you that much good stuff (although one of the early Einherijar can be released and later on you get a decent sword out of it)

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

The best way to make money is to just start buying property. Basically, you want to just buy any and every piece of property you can.

An alternate method if to wait for sales on weapons in the first big town, buy everything, and go to Fairfax Gardens and sell them to the merchants there. Easy for a quick buck if you got the cash to get the process started.

Property is really the best way though. If you really want to grind money, buy properties, save+quit, advance the clock ahead a day or two, reload and buy more properties with the money you just made. The money you make from property is based on real time, not game time (unlike say, family upkeep).

Once you reach the town with the arena, find the guy who wants to invest in the town immediately. If you don't give the guy some money to invest you'll miss out on a lot of properties to buy and you get more money back from it after the next story segment or two.

Also potions are the best way to get experience. As the game progresses the alchemy shop in the first big town gets better potions. Buy 'em, sleep a few days away/travel to other alchemy shops, buy more potions, repeat.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Any tips when starting out with Star Ocean 4?

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Portfolio posted:

I'm about to start Final Fantasy V Advance. I've never played the original or anything. This seems like a game that's probably been covered in this thread already, but please have mercy, this thread is huge :saddowns:

There's some nice blue magic you can get early on that's pretty nice. Learn L5 Doom in the Ancient Library. The blue head enemy (Page 128?) uses it. I think it needs to connect on one character so you can learn it. While you're at it, learn Doom Claw from Doom Claw (mandatory boss fight). Single digit HP and paralyze effect? Hell yes! It even works on some bosses (but I can't remember which for the life of me)

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Got Romancing Saga for the PS2, started as Hawke, did the intro, discovered that if I get into fights I'll 'progress' some counter which can lock me out of stuff if I get in too many fights. Anything else that would be really handy to know?

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

YggiDee posted:

The Rena and Claude plot have slight differences between them, but what it mostly boils down to is that both plots have an exclusive character. Rena gets another swordsman, good but pissy; and Claude gets a wizard who I cant accurately review because I never pick Claude.

The wizard guy is trash because spell casting sucks in SO2. You have to watch the spell animations over and over and they can at most do 9999 since spells only hit once. Compared to the best sword skills which can attack while the battle continues for faster fights and hitting multiple times.

Honestly though if you do anything Zvahl mentioned you'll basically take a sledgehammer to SO2's face and everything will become cake except the harder difficulties and the overcharged final boss so roll with whatever you like the most.

Extra tip: On the first continent there's a mountain path somewhere (I don't remember where though) and its a bunch of high level (for the area) enemies. One encounter is two purple balloon enemies that can only damage your MP. Abuse the gently caress out of these guys for easy experience.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Corridor posted:

Kingdom Hearts 2

:v:

Seriously, apply this to most of the game. Mulan's area is hard since Centaurs are nasty fuckers early in the game since they can do some nasty knockback if you start hitting them but magic is effective (although I think you're on a timed sequence when you first fight them but I think you can ignore them).

You can spam Reflect to make yourself invincible. It'll eat up your MP but it is effective when you fight the boss when you return to the Beast's Castle.

Also late in the game (like 'hey this is the final dungeon' part) there's a boss who shoots stuff at you. He's a cock who spends most of the time being impossible to hit or invulnerable. One invulnerable segment is when he teleports in the center of the platform your on and faces you before he shoots you a lot. Just run in circles, jumping or any other fancy techniques usually results in a lot of bullets in the face.

Atlantica is a DDR game.

Really pay attention to when you can do reaction commands. They are usually part of the "I win" strategy for bosses. Just watch for what it says because reaction commands and combo attacks look the exact same in every way except for the text of what pushing triangle does.

I'm not sure if this applies to normal difficulty, I first played through on hard and curbstombed most of the game.

For the first Kingdom Hearts, I don't remember it but lightning and healing magic is what you want to cast 95% of the time. Put those in the quick-use menu. In the intro one of the FF10 Babies will ask you something about the time. This affects the experience curve. Dawn means you level up quickly early on but slow down later and dawn is the opposite with noon being in the middle. I don't know which is more effective but you can beat the post game by level 60-75 iirc so choosing Dawn sounds the most effective.

Also guard is loving useless in both games.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Seiken Densetsu 3

Abuse the hell out of the Black Market. It's in Byzel (city on the left side of the Golden Road), only open at nights, and you can buy items which can cast spells that you don't have access to. You can buy items which cast buffing spells and you should buy a few bucketloads of these and use them in every boss fight. Use the Attack Up ones on Hawk and Duran, Mind Up on Angela. The others aren't half as important. I think you can also get Saber items and a Heal-All item. The Heal-All item uses the user's spirit stat for calculating how much it heals so Angela should be throwing most of these.

Change class when you hit the level requirement (18 for the first, 36(?) for the second). When you class change your stats will change to the starting values of that class and all the points you put into stats will be lost. On that note, Dexterity and Luck are useless (although Hawk needs some dex to learn some skills).

Some bosses love to counter the gently caress out of spells(?) and level 2-3 techs. The Ninja Bros are an example of these guys. Stick with buffing yourself and bashing their skulls in or else you'll get a nasty counter attack. Another notable example is a certain three-headed boss that shows up near the end game. Don't completely forgo these, but if enemies are using a lot of painful attacks try not using your strongest moves and see if that makes them stop.

When you class change for the first time (which you'll spend a long time as)...
Angela either gets level 2 spells or gets a whole one darkness spell that is useful against about four enemies and a boss. I forget which class gets which but it's her 'light' class (the top branch). 'Dark' (the bottom branch) Angela really isn't that great and since it's the Angela you'll have for most of the game you should go with the light path. The second class dark classes aren't anything special either so you won't be losing anything special.

Duran can learn either a healing spell and shields (light) or Sabers (dark). Duran's healing isn't that great compared to the Poto Oils you can buy in the black market, take time to cast, and only targets one character. And shields are bugged and are mostly useless. On the other hand the 'dark' Duran gets more attack power, half the elemental sabers (fire/air/water/earth, also replacable by the Black Market), and a hit-all-enemies level 2 technique great for wiping regular enemies. From the dark Duran you can get access to Moon/Wood Saber (absorb HP/MP on hit, respectively) or the strongest attack and most powerful tech of the game. Light Duran leads to Heal-All or Saint Saber which aren't half as good as Moon Saber.

Hawk gets lovely trap spells (light) and debuff+attack spells (dark) and you can't buy debuff spells from the Black Market. To learn these skils you'll need some Dex. I don't remember Hawk's second classes very well except the Wanderer (light-light) which can learn some nice skills except it comes way too late in the game.

tl;dr Abuse the hell out of the Black Market

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Ichiban Crush posted:

Unless I somehow skipped past it, I didn't see any for the Romancing Saga (NOT UNLIMITED) remake on PS2. Is there any characters I absolutely should not start off with? I'm several grinding hours into the longhaired mercenary and still haven't been able to beatdown the goblins guarding those dinosaur eggs; do bosses advance with party members' stats the way regular enemies do?

I don't know about good or bad starting characters (I haven't even beaten the game yet :( ) but as far as I can tell, bosses are static and don't upgrade like random encounters do. Instead some quests end if you get too powerful.

If you have access to the world map you are in the main game and can start exploring for new areas, quests, and most importantly new party members. In fact I'd suggest ignoring any quests/dungeons until you've opened up several towns in each area (except the Coral Sea which you don't have access to for a while). Plus this game doesn't mind giving you a quest that you aren't powerful enough to complete yet (which sounds like your current problem). Boat rides will cost you money the first time to take the trip but all following trips are free. Check out the pub in each city and try and recruit a full party before going too far. Mercenaries are meant to fill up party spots until you can find a better character (aka any non-mercenary), mercenaries are stuck with early gear (which you can't steal) and have lovely LP. You can recruit some characters in other places other than the pub.

Your main source of cash will be from quests and chests. Enemies drop jack poo poo in terms of cash. To get most chests you'll need proficiencies which you can buy from the class teachers. Buy at least one level of every proficiency you see (only one character needs to know it for you to use it, so try and get proficiencies on one character who knows the skills that the proficiency uses like 'Find Chests' on a character with the Search skill).

Exploring and buying proficiencies can get somewhat costly but there is an easy quest in Melvir you can complete almost right off the bat. Talk to people and you'll hear about a missing daughter and a cult. Enter the sewers near the police station and you should see someone sneaking around. Follow them for money rewards!

Using magic will make it improve over time, kind of like learning new weapon skills. Instead of learning new skills the ones you already know will become better. Of course there isn't much indication of this besides your magic improving suddenly (like an attack spell hittimg multiple times).

Honestly the game feels like you need a walkthrough for it just to figure out where quests are and what proficiencies you'll need to get all the loot from dungeons. Brining the wrong proficiencies in a dungeon could lock you out of a lot of loot (whoops forgot to bring jump and all the chests are behind gaps).

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

When you recruit the first hero, the blacksmith at Bowerstone will have a two week 50% off sale. Buy everything, run to Fairfax Gardens, and sell everything for a huge markup. Sleep for a day, and the Bowerstone blacksmith will hopefully have restocked. Repeat until you have some decent capital. (~100k I think)

That's not where the real source of money is. With all that money, start buying properties. This will give you money every five minutes real time with no effort. Buy some properties, jack up the rent (this will increase your corruption and seems to not affect the town economy at all), and do a quest/exploit more sales with Bowerstone/Fairfax. Then buy more property with your cash! It can take a while but eventually you'll make enough money to never worry about financial matters ever. If you want easy purity, just drop the rent down so it's below 0% and your purity will start increasing.

You can increase the rent of houses without adjusting the rent rates by buying better furniture and furnishing houses with them. It'll improve its value of the property and since rent is based on the house value, your income!

If you don't want to build up corruption/speed the whole process up, unplug the Internet, set your system clock a day in advance, go back in the game, make bundle of cash, buy more properties, save+quit, set day ahead, repeat. When done reset system clock to the present with no ill effects!

iirc Corruption doesn't effect much besides making your character look ugly and reduces your attractiveness. It's nothing to worry about, besides you can increase it easily by dropping rent and eating tofu.

Also if anybody asks for investment capital give it to him. This will only help you in the future (and if you don't it'll lock you out of some stuff).

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Level is the most important stat in the game. It carries a huge amount of weight in damage calculations later in the game. (also Vigor is the innate attack stat, battle power is from weapons)

In the original, an invisible enemy can always be hit by Doom/X-Zone for an instant KO. It becomes available early on and it makes the game incredibly easy. It is best used against Integir (a random encounter on the triangle island in the first half of the game, he gives great Magic points to learn spells with) and Doom Gaze (because finding him is a pain in the rear end and he'll retreat after so much damage and you have to find him again and it takes too loving long to kill him otherwise). This was fixed in the GBA port.

In the second half of the game if you go to an island out of the way and find an enemy that starts eating your party, maybe you should let it!

Don't give Shadow anything cool in the early parts of the game

In the first half of the game, don't neglect Terra, Locke, or Celes too much. You might find them in your party when you don't want them!

Once you get the airship, return to Narshe and look around in town to see if anything is up (like a thief raiding a locked chest)

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Backhand posted:

- Hit Doomtrain with suplex then a phoenix down. Congrats, you win.

Fixed that for you

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

What can you tell me about the Item World pirates in Disgaea 2 and why their maps are so important?

edit: What is the best way to get each map?
What is the fastest way to get felonies as I heard it is a slow process.

Don't. It takes forever to get all of the map peices, to build up felonies, and all that poo poo. The grind is far worse than what Disgaea 1 ever threw at you.

Barring that, here's the run down for getting map peices:
  • There are sixteen pirate groups and each one has one map peice. Getting the map peice from that group means you can never get a map peice from that pirate group again.

• Pirates can show up in the first three turns of any item world level. Don't move on to the next level until you're sure no pirates (who you haven't taken the map peice from) will show up.

• Pirate groups have a minimum depth before they'll even consider showing up. Some only show up deeper than level 20 in the item world, others after level 80, ect. . Check Gamefaqs for what pirate groups show up when, keep track of what pirate groups you've gotten the map peice from, and only stick around on floors where there's a chance a new pirate group will show up.

• Do runs in low level items. When you're on level 80 and a Pirate Z shows up its level will be huge (2000 minimum iirc), and the last thing you need is a new pirate to show up that you can't kill (or worse, die after collecting map peices).

It still takes a bucketload of luck to get all sixteen pirate groups to show up. Ambling Priates are all over the drat place and all you get is a higher level version of every map in the game, a new item world where you can get rank 40 items, three new characters (with no felonies or stored levels and you can only use them in the World of Carnage), and access to Baal.

As for felonies, you can transfer Bailiffs from Subpeonas to other items. Portals to the court appear on the item world level that is the Bailiff's level. So if you put a bunch of low (but different) level bailiffs in some item, you can go to the court multiple times in one spin of the item world. Also make sure you get a tower of people into the portal and they'll all get the felonies that the bailiff gives. It is still as slow as hell though, each felony only gives 1% bonus EXP and you can't even see the real felony count of a character as what you see is limited to 99.

(yes I am bitter that I got all 16 map peices and I am even more bitter I lost my save with it)

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I've been playing The Ur-Quan Masters based on recommendations from the Freeware game thread, and after a spectacular failure in just about every way, I'm looking for some tips. Here's what I've got so far:

• The first thing you should do is upgrade your flagship with speed and turning improvements. It'll take out a lot of aggravation when trying to do... anything pretty much.

• Take notes. Lots of notes. Like, planets with good resources that you couldn't take (due to full cargo, not enough fuel, or the planet is just too drat dangerous), or locations of alien homeworlds. The game gives you spheres of influence but actually knowing where to find other species is very helpful.

• Dispatching landing vessels costs fuel. You can see the fuel cost when you are choosing where to dispatch the lander where the date normally is. Don't land on planets filled with lovely resources if the fuel cost is high because you'll hurt your own profit margins (even worse if it is a dangerous planet that'll kill crew).

• Temperature, weather, and teutonics class indicate how dangerous a planet is; Temperature generates fire that appear and move in a random path before disappearing, weather (nigh impossible to dodge) lightning bolts, and teutonics are earthquakes which are damage-circles that you can see a half second before they start doing damage. The higher the temperature/class, the more of the appropriate damage type there are.

• Ships have two ways of attacking. For example, the Spathi ship can shoot bullets or drop vaguely-homing bombs. Try out your ships in Super Melee, you can get a feel for what they can do without having to hunt down hostiles (like all those god drat probes), risk losing a ship/crew, and you can try fighting whoever you want in super melee.

• In fact, practicing fighting in Super Melee will help a lot. The AI can be vicious (at least to new players like me :v: ) and knowing how to fight is very helpful. Alternatively, you can let the AI fight your space battles. I think it's under the game options to give cyborg control (with different levels of ability) to your fleet.

• You can shoot life forms with the lander to convert them into little capsules that you can sell to that credits merchant in Alpha Centuri the Melnorme. It takes a few shots to kill them and those hopping green sea monkeys are dangerous because they hunt you down and take a few shots to kill.

• If you lose your starting flunky ship in the first fight of the game, just reload. Seriously.

• Save. A lot. Abuse multiple slots too. I always had a save at Earth in case I seriously screwed up.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 22, 2009

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

quote:

Megaman

Megaman 1
You must defeat Gutsman before Elecman. Like Draile said, you need his weapon to access an accessory which is required in the final stages of the game and if you beat Elecman first you can't go back and get it. This item will also make some of the regular levels easier, especially those with disappearing blocks.

*edit* I am an idiot :(

There's a yellow blob boss that is an absolute bitch to kill. You can cheese him though: Shoot the eye with the Elecman's weapon. Once it starts hitting the boss, rapidly pause and unpause the game. The elecbeam will hit the eye multiple times and the fight will end quickly.

Megaman 2
One boss is you fighting a bunch of half-circles on the wall. He's a bitch, but you can make him easier:
You will need full Crash Bombs to kill him. One way is to destroy all the barriers first, die, refill on crash bombs, and fight him again. The barriers will be gone and you can actually miss once or twice and take the easier route through the room.

If you're having trouble dodging his shots, you can rapidly pause/unpause when he shoots at you. When unpausing the bullets will go right through Megaman and mashing is good enough for perfect timing.

Seriously, gently caress that boss.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 7, 2009

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Argon_Sloth posted:

This is not true. You can go back to competed stages in all Mega Man games but 2 and 3. Elecman's weapon can also be used to retrieve the item in question, but requires a return trip to the stage.

Damnit, I swore I tried this long ago and no dice so I chalked it up to a design error. That's what I get for starting with MM2 and never going back to play the original except once years ago :doh:

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

'Bird Killer' applies to anything that is in the air, bird or otherwise.

Bosses usually have decent stuff to nab and they usually have multiple items to steal.

If you are having trouble beating Gizamamluke, go find some Mandragoras. They hang out in forests somewhere outsize of Gizamamluke's grotto. Have Quina eat one (requires the enemy to have low health) to learn Limit Glove which deals 9999 damage if used when Quina has 1 HP. Phoenix Downs will always revive characters with 1 HP if used in the menu (random single digit HP if in battle).

*edit*

Alris posted:

I think Zidane's Thievery attack causes damage based on how many successful steals you've been able to accomplish, also the Dragoon's Dragon Crest is based on how many Dragons you've killed. Keeping that in mind, it's possible to make both attacks very strong as the game progresses, especially given both don't cost a lot of MP to use.

You're right with Thievery, but it takes way too many successful steals to be worth it. Dragon's Crest is easy though; Use Level 5 Doom with the dragons above Gizamamluke's Grotto and you'll be set in no time.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 29, 2010

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

I've been thinking of taking on Final Fantasy II for the PSP. I've played both Dawn of Souls and the original NES game, so I know for the most part what I'm getting into. But I heard the changes made to the PSP version actually gently caress over people playing it conventionally. How should I play the game so I can get through it with a minimum of getting hosed over or bored grinding?

I've never played the GBA version of FF2 but I tackled the PSP FF2 after reading the FF2 LP and I never really had an issue. There are three new dungeons in the main game that I've heard require multiple runs of each. The dungeons need the right keywords to be completed and of course the keywords necessary to beat the dungeon are inside the dungeon itself. There's also a game mode available when you beat the main game where you play as all the guys who died in the main game grinding out a completely new cast.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

PrinnySquadron posted:

Anything for Victoria 2?

Post in the Paradox Megathread. I'm pretty terrible at Vicky 2 but the posters there know a lot more about the game than I. All I can offer is
- Don't play as the UK, they are loving huge and impossible to manage
- Don't fight the UK, they are loving huge and have infinite troops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Just play FF10-2 and when you don't get the best ending just look it up on youtube. Nothing is worth the bullshit the game expects of you to get it.