Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.

Benedikt XVI posted:

Oh, nice. I have two requests:
Shadow Hearts Covenant and Final Fantasy XII

Shadow Hearts: Covenant
-Nothing makes the game easier than the Coral Pendant. Seriously, get them for everyone. They're also good for keeping your %s high so you get the Extreme in Japan.
-You really only need one good caster.
-All the end-game content in the game appears after you enter the final dungeon once.
-You don't get a Scan ability until late in the game. Once you get it, spam it often.
-Bosses tend to have one status effect gimmick per fight.
-Ring effects are the worst thing you can have, more so than instant death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

ShrewdOrganMerchant posted:

Any advice for Etrian Odyssey 2 for the DS? I've played this game for hours on end, yet my party is still getting their asses kicked by the weakest encounters, my income barely covers healing expenses, and no-one'll give me more quests to do. Also, are F.O.E's just a cruel joke?

F.O.E.'s aren't like in EO1, if you played that. They're meant to make you maneuver the maze. No XP, occasional drops. Never, ever let one catch you with your back to the wall.

If you need to, grind. It'll make it easier for you to kill the later enemies, as well as start to improve your equipment. What's your setup right now?

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

m2pt5 posted:

WHAAAAAT

That would explain why Rouge's attacks have been incredibly weak. In chapter 3, Sonic/Big/Knuckles/Cream seems to be a good lineup. (Also, leaving Cream equipped with Cheese lets you get a ridiculous number of critical/Lucky! hits.)

If you look at the Codex, it goes into condescending levels of explanation of these particular facts. What boggled my mind was learning Big was a SUPPORT character.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

Mother 3

Additionally, defending makes the HP meter roll even slower, so if you have someone near death, defending helps keep them alive long enough for a heal.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

EggsofSteel posted:

I've just started Final Fantasy XII thanks to everyone here loving it, and I was wondering if you guys had any tips for it.

For example, are there any party members who get removed halfway through the game and I shouldn't spend LP on? Any other general tips or tricks would be awesome.

It'll be obvious who's coming and going, since they'll be labeled GUEST in the menu. I mean, you may lose some characters for a while, but they'll come back.

Also, remember that the game's not about Vaan or Penelo at all. It's all about Basch, Balthier, and Fran. :whatup:

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Faerie Fortune posted:

I know it's been mentioned a thousand times before and I apologise but I'm a brand new player to not only Disgaea (DS if it matters) but the entire SRPG genre itself - normally I play dungeon crawlers and Final Fantasy type RPGs. I love the humour and the characters though so I really want to get into it but it's a whole new genre I know nothing about. So guys, what should a first time SRPG/Disgaea player really really know?

I would also suggest throwing the fight at the end of Chapter 1. You'll start a new cycle, and you can get a hidden character Plenair, the mascot with a fairly rare weapon proficiency.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm finally going to buckle down and work through my gaming backlog, so if anybody has tips for Makai Kingdom or Mana Khemia, that'd be fantastic. :)

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Because I just bought them on Steam this weekend, I'm curious if anyone has anything to say about 1701; and possibly, tips on achieving higher level play in Droplitz.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Having just bought the THQ Complete Pack on Steam, any tips on Saint's Row 2 or Dawn of War II would be nice.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm about to play STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl for the first time. Are there any particular mods I should install first? Graphical, bug fixes, anything like that?

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

How do you start learning Street Fighter 4? This is pretty much the first fighting game I'm trying to play well and it's on the PC and should I finally cave in and buy a 360 controller and oh god what do the input commands mean :psypop:

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Notinghamington posted:

I didn't get this during a steam sale, but I still got it, The Void; anything I need to know before playing it?

Avoid spoilers, be prepared to replay a few cycles back with upcoming knowledge. And no-one is telling you the whole truth. That's the best way to go into it.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

That Awful Nick posted:

I just bought the Introversion Software megapack for $5 on Steam because I was going to buy Defcon for $10 but why not just get all the games for $5? I want to play Uplink because it seems like a really cool game but I guess I must have missed something because I am miserable at this game. Any hints?

Uplink

-At the start, improving your processor speed is king. It'll speed up everything that's not downloading a file.

-I don't know if this bites you in the rear end later, but for security's sake, get Log Deleter v4 as soon as possible and basically designate the tutorial network as the key link in your bouncing chain. So after every mission, go there, and clear out the logs. It's been ages since I played. YMMV. :shobon:

-Keep the IPs given to you for missions on the maps. Extending the connection chains gives you more time for each hacking attempt.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Can anyone give starting tips for Suikoden 3? I've tried playing a little of it, but I really don't seem to get it yet.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Remember to hunt for artifacts, even if they don't seem that useful in the beginning. However, any artifact which has the side effect of increasing your radiation will quickly kill you unless paired with one that reduces radiation.

Install the "No quest time limit" and "Traders repair weapons and armor" mods to avoid a lot of unnecessary frustration.

If you can lure the military base guys in the very first level into attacking the rookie village (by killing a guy or two and retreating) you can help wipe out the military outpost and get a lot of loot + guns that are great for this section of the game.

Allying with Duty or Freedom is really only recommended for the second playthrough. On the first one, just go Loner so that no formerly friendly locations become incredibly annoying to go through.

And any artifacts that say that increase health? They don't. They improve health regen after combat, so the decreased damage resistance just isn't worth it. Equip it after a fight when you're recovering.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

I just found a copy of Vagrant Story, and all I know is that the crafting system can be pretty obtuse. What else should I know?

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Any tips for beginning Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger VS Darkdeath Evilman? I just started chapter 4 and I'm curious if I can start breaking the game in true NIS fashion yet.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Hammerfight owns, and I'm really glad to see it get some time in the spotlight in this bundle.

-The strongest weapons in the game when you're fighting a shielded enemy (and pretty much anything else) is a good flail. The chains mean they can build up a lot more velocity when you whip them around compared to a mace or sword. Stun enemies against a wall, then pound on their shields to break them off for you to pick up.

-Guns are pretty worthless, but for the most part, they're pretty lightweight and good against beasts, so you could try joining them to a weapon if you're so inclined.

-There's no New Game+, so all the sweet weapons you collect during story mode are only good for arena, but the modes you unlock in the different story paths are accessible for any new saves you start, so you can put your brand new guy in the arena to get some decent weapons.

-Hotkey at least one shield, so when you hit that button, all your shields will attempt to cover as much of your vehicle as possible. Five is pretty much complete coverage.

-For some blades, you'll want to right click to make sure the edged part is hitting the opponent.

-You unlock an armory eventually that'll let you change your ship's loadout. You can access this from the main menu as well, so you can change equipment between missions that normally wouldn't allow it.

-Glory and fame are pretty much for show. The more titles you get, the bigger and more ornate banners you'll carry.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Lavender Philtrum posted:

Orfeo, what's the deal with killing/letting enemies live in Hammerfight? Are there pros/cons for doing either? I've just been letting them live and not really caring if I accidentally kill one, but i thought i saw a bunch of :( faces when I did it, so I'm curious if it has some sort of penalty.

It's a matter of titles. Killing a bunch of dudes will get you titles like "the Slayer," while sparing people will get you to be called "the Merciful." As far as I know, there aren't any major ramifications for if you spare dudes or not. But I think you get more glory for sparing them.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Because I enjoy being behind a generation for all major releases, I'm about to play Oblivion. What mods should I use to make it look prettier/play better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Anything for Nuclear Throne? I've only made it past zone 2 once so far.