Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Rirse in April posted:

What's some good tips for Call of Duty 4, Dawn of Discovery/Anno 1404, and Master of Orion 1+2.

Master of Orion 1
I seriously doubt the question needs answering now (even though it wasn't covered nearly as much as Moo2 according to my search) but I've dusted off MoO and after suffering a few times as Alkari (with hated Mrrshans nearby who happen to be allied with everyone shortly after declaring war on me..), Bulrathi, and Darlok I've remembered a few things that make it a bit easier to overcome a Klackon empire with an overwhelming advantage.

Missile Bases: Wonderfully useful, fairly cheap, well worth building. Can destroy unneeded ones with the B key. It's shamefully easy to overlook something this obvious, but you can switch between scatter-pack missiles and your strongest single-shot in combat. This is extremely important if you are facing strong enemy shields.

Colonies: Your homeworld with won't see a significant loss in production from shipping out twenty colonists (10 bc from colonist, 40 bc from unworked factories out of 50 bc from colonists and 200 bc from factories and less significant when you haven't even maxed factories yet) - it'll mean the difference of a turn or two at most on that colony ship. As well, your population grows fastest around half-full. On the other hand, 20 colonists on a new planet is a huge deal, allowing you to put up a new factory every turn and allowing it to actually grow every turn. If you really want to, you can ship some of that excess growth back to the homeworld. This probably isn't the sweet spot, but it is a lot better than waiting for everything to grow naturally. Having a planet at full pop during the colonization phase is a waste of population/resources.

Improved Space Scanners and Hotkey: F8 is the hotkey (not F7 as described in manual) to cycle between targeted planets. These sensors allow you to see the targets of incoming fleets. It's pretty handy considering how late-game the tech is to allow the changing of fleets destination's in mid-flight. It's a good opportunity to either shift your forces or bolster planetary defenses.

Boosting with planetary reserves: from the planet list screen you can dump money into a planet's local economy. This allows you to double the production - any excess money just carries over to the next turn. These cash infusions are useful to meet random event quotas (nova research... ugh), shore up emergency defenses, complete terraforming and move onto boosting population on a newly invaded colony with plenty of factories or getting that planetary shield upgrade out). Most significantly, they're a huge boon to newly founded colonies. 500 BC is nothing to a core world, but doubling the production of a planet with only 10 production for dozens of turns is huge. You can raise this money through tax, trade, or overproduction. Overproduction is inefficent but definitely worth doing at rich/ultra rich planets when you're waiting for a key new technology that will make your current ships obsolete. Boosting an artefact planet's research can lead to spectacular results.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

big duck equals goose posted:

Didn't see it or I missed it in the thread, sorry.

How about Space Rangers 2: Reboot? I keep hearing this game kicks rear end, but I just can't seem to ever do well in it or get that far. Try trading... suck at it. Try being a pirate... suck at it.

It's been a long time since I played, and it wasn't the reboot version, so take this with a grain of salt.
* Scavenge. Even if you'd die in a big dominator robot invasion fight, if you go in during the later stages of a battle that is actually going well for your side (and not all of them will), you can play the vulture and either kill the weakest dominators or just scoop up salvage. When your stores are full, just drop that salvage on the nearest planet - don't worry about selling it yet, just store it and go back for another load before it is all scooped up. Space stations might be destroyed, but not planets.
* Shop around - unlike, say privateer, it is not just the trade goods that vary in price. Weapons and other gear will vary in size and cost and quality. Look for the best bargain in the information center. Sometimes the best isn't - cheaper and smaller might be if it allows another needed piece of equipment.
* Speaking of the infomation center, you can search for "planet" and you'll get a list of the thirty nearest planets with prices.

I'm not entirely certain what I remember from space rangers one and space rangers two, but I expect this at least was a common pair of elements. I'm tempted to dust off the game now myself, maybe I'll have better advice.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

KariOhki posted:

about atelier rorona
Keep multiple saves! Failing an assignment means game over, and you only get the option to reload a save. Keep a save at the start of the assignment in case you lose track of the date.

You can get free water from the well by the workshop. I somehow missed this and was buying the stuff.

When making items, watch what traits are passed on to the final item. It's most important for Ingots and Cloth since the trait is what's needed when you go to make new equipment.

You only need three or four large stars to pass an assignment, so don't sweat it if you can't max it out.

Don't neglect your adventurer levels. There's a late-game assignment in an tough area.

A few additional things:

Sometimes you can buy better quality ingredients from the store. I usually don't care, but keep that in mind when you're getting scored on quality.

You don't always have to be in town. If you're out adventuring when an assignment comes due, you'll get the next update via pigeon. I prefer to be in town for the portraits, but it's nice to know and can save you a few days of travel to and from.

Try using harvested Uni as attack items in the first dungeon. They'll allow you to power through it, in the period before you get your second party member with his healing ability. You can even finish the area in one trip out of town, if you want.

Explore dungeons before grinding them for items. You'll often find little branches with few/no enemies, a theme for their items, and shorter trip times, so you can hit that branch several times instead of vising a main path just once.

Resting is a trap! Eating is a hell of a lot more efficient use of your time than sleeping, even if you figure in the cost of cooking/alchemy.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 10, 2011

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Gerblyn posted:

Anyone have any tips for Civilization 5? I've played 1 and 2 before, but none of the others... I've heard there are a lot of big differences in this version, is there anything that might trip me up?

Happiness is now a global resource rather than city-specific. You may wish to turn off population growth for some cities in the city manager, or not spam farms everywhere. Depends, really, on what you're going for.

Research is primarily based off of population, with structures modifying that amount. Generally speaking, knowledge producing buildings are only useful where you're already producing knowledge.

Build times may be weird as hell, with units taking longer to construct than wonders. This is an odd consequence of the lesser number of armies on the map... Exploit the unit upgrade system whenever possible, rather than relying on production. It'll save you a LOT of time.

Pay attention when you construct regular buildings. The maintenance costs tend to get out of control when you're not paying attention. More buildings is not always a good thing. Because of the relationship between growth and happiness, you can't often grow yourself out of a bad situation, even on the easiest difficulty setting.

It's not impossible to grow as much as you want, you just have to plan it or cap it as needed. You need the happiness to support the population you've added. You need the population to finance the upkeep on the happiness buildings, etc. I've read something about a February balance patch that may be worth waiting for. Among other things, some tile production of coins seems reduced, but some building maintenance costs have gone down while other building's gold output has increased. It sounds like the sort of thing that may really mess up a game in progress when it gets autopatched by Steam.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

texting my ex posted:

I just bought Space Hulk Deathwing on PS4 because I like big stompy 40k boys. Anything I should know? I'll mostly be playing solo or with randoms, I don't know anyone else who has the game

If you lock a small door, the only way you’ll get it open is busting it open. If you lock a large door you can unlock it at your convenience.

Finding relics can help you gain exp, iirc. Keep an ear out for them- you can hear the voices whispering to you in your head.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Graveyard Keeper tips:
Despite what he says, the tavern keeper will trade your burial certificates for cash. A lot of people mistakenly assume they have to unlock the church first.
Shops restock their supplies over time. Until they restock, the more you buy the higher the price. Buy only what you need when it comes to basics like nails and iron parts, and your money will stretch further.
There’s no real time pressure to the game, just scheduling issues to meeting certain NPCs and handling corpses. In fact, traveling to meet certain NPCs is the biggest time sink. Leave early.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

If you can’t place any object anywhere in your hospital, you probably have an illegal/inaccessible object somewhere else you need to straighten out. I’ve especially seen people make this mistake with plants, which need watering access.

There doesn’t seem to be really too many gotchas in Two Point. You can get full refunds for all rooms and items.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Omi no Kami posted:

I just played an hour or two of Graveyard Keeper, and it's fun but I'm already overwhelmed by unexplained mechanics. Is there anything in particular I should make sure to do? I've heard that the game is full of weird gotchas that can punish you (I heard something about not upgrading the church until another piece of economy was solid?), so I'm a bit nervous. Blue points, in particular, make me nervous, since it looks like there's a very real chance of running out of researchable items while blowing through them to unlock the wrong skills.

Blue points: you can start generating them slowly when you upgrade your graveyard to finer quality stone decorations. You can also buy a book from the Astrologer once every week for another source of blue. It’s expensive enough you don’t want to rely on it, but cheap enough you can afford to, especially since you can buy just one a week, and a better graveyard means more sermon money.

The first church upgrade (opening it) means no more free corpses, but that’s more a relief than a problem. The Donkey leaves a little gift behind to help you get started and the hippie east of town sells what else you need. As for the second upgrade, the rear end in a top hat doesn’t tell you about the citizenship requirement until it’s too late. It’s not a fail state but it will prevent you from further sermons. I found a few convenient ways to fix my income but if you want to be prepared just check the mailbox.

I recommend opening up three or nine plots in the farm with carrots. When I harvest I trade just enough to the farmer to replace lost seeds, and the remainder go either to the donkey or carrot cutlets, which occasionally get sold to the tavern or just plain eaten, because collecting mushrooms got old. Between basic sermons, burials, and carrot sales, I could afford to buy the various knowledge books, which really sped things up to the point where I had to figure out what the hell to do again.

If you can afford them, the perks are a great help in reducing your busywork and upgrading the craft stations helps a lot with your efficiency, leading to to less hassle. They’re nothing especially important, just it adds up quickly. You’re under no time pressure but it helps a lot.

When the time comes to start repairing things and such, just carry twenty flitch, nails, etc. It’s less of a hassle than remembering everything you need and anything leftover will be useful elsewhere.

Remember there is no real fail state, any pressure you feel is self imposed, even the crops don’t need tending.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Omi no Kami posted:

This is super-duper helpful, thanks! If you don't mind a few follow-up questions:

Is it possible to make crops produce enough seeds to be self-sustaining? I'm eyeing the Farmer perk in particular, but it's looking like going deep into agriculture is a pretty hefty point sink this early.

Is there any downside to pretty much ignoring corpses? I've been autopsying them for skin and meat, but unless it's a really high-quality body I tend to just dump it in the river afterwards; I don't immediately need money now that I upgraded to rightful citizen, so it seems easier to just trash everything unless it makes my graveyard nicer.

I didn’t really bother with high tier crops more than I needed to (I have Stardew Valley for that) but with the perk, basic fertilizer and no other upgrades carrots are more or less self-sustaining. With a big enough start, the RNG smoothed out. If you want reliable stock of seeds for rarer crops, you’re looking at silver quality fertilizer.

As you suspect there isn’t really a problem ignoring corpses. Sometimes I even let a full morgue rot, or purposely stop supplying comrade donkey with carrots. There are better things to do with them, but if you are lacking the perks or advanced workstations it is more a hassle than it’s worth. On the other hand, if removing the blood and fat brings a corpse to a tolerable range of quality I sometimes bury it anyways.

It will cost to exhume a corpse, but playing casually you’ll probably make the difference in sermons. Graveyard quality affects the money side of that. Of course that’s more work to fix things later, so when I had four pallets in my morgue, I averaged about one burial per batch.

A side note, corpses decay more slowly inside, and more so on the pallets etc, so after fixing both the inside and outside chute I pretty much only headed over when it was on my way. I’d put all the corpses on the pallets every time I was there but do nothing more unless there was a really good one, or I hit cap.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Is it weird that this bizarre discussion has made me more interested in Graveyard Keeper? All that sounds bonkers

That’s pretty much everyone in the game’s thread, so no.

Omi no Kami posted:

Ooh I hadn't figured that, I'd been assuming that money was only a function of the faith-producing structures you built, the population that attended, and the sermon you gave; does it make enough of a difference that it's worth eventually upgrading my graveyard? The most recent graves I've dug are all +3-5 quality, but a lot of the earlier ones have cruddy wooden decorations that I've left because they're all around 0-1, and anything that wasn't actively causing a problem felt ignorable.

Upgrading your graveyard is necessary, and it makes plenty of difference the more casually you take the game. Most other means of making money have diminishing returns as merchants temporarily lower their prices (and raise them if you have to buy components).

Church quality improves faith generation and prayer success rate. Your simple starting prayer is actually the best option for a while, copper rating sermons have weak effects, unless it is something like the commerce blessing. Shoot for silver rank when you can. The odds are slim at basic work stations, but it can happen. Otherwise you will probably be better rewarded breaking down that stuff into science so you can study more stuff for points. But don’t worry much about experimenting- you’ll get multiple uses out of pen and ink, and you’ll go further if you just buy the ink and a feather separately.

Oh, and don’t get your hopes up for visiting the town proper. There is a reason for the unhappy reviews, but also don’t let it detract from the gameplay that’s already there. The game doesn’t open up quite as much as alpha expectations led people to believe. The game plays a dick move on you, which wouldn’t be a big deal if it quests didn’t go on for as long as they do.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Any advice for Outward?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I don’t have much to offer for Outward but I’ll try:
  • Upgrade your backpack ASAP.
  • You don’t need a lot of food, but each dish comes with its own set of long-lasting buffs. Basic meat will heal over time, berries will increase your stamina regen, and fish your magic regen. You can figure out the rest once the debt is resolved.
  • Jackals can give you a disease (near permanent damage over time effect. The damage can be offset with a good meal, or cured with time/the correct tea.
  • Resting at home/inn tops off your hunger/thirst meters. Outdoors you’ll need to spend a portion of your time on guard, or set up camp at a safe spot indicated by blue butterflies. Camping for just a couple hours can really help with restoring your max stats.
  • Durability can be restored for no cost except for time while camping.
  • Steal what you want from your hometown, nobody cares and there are several basic weapons to choose from.
  • the tutorial will kill you at the end. You’ve done nothing wrong- camping doesn’t normally murder you instantly.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

SoR Blaze posted:

Anything for Siralim 3? I played the first a little bit but it soon got overwhelming. Do the series change it up much? They look basically the same.

Yes but if you bounced off one you’re likely to bounce off the other, speaking as such a person myself.

http://www.thylacinestudios.com/siralim3/faq.php

The jist of it is more refined systems and more content but not necessarily entirely new systems, features, or an engaging story.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

Anything for Subterrain: Mines of Titan?

Too early in the game to give any longterm tips/warnings but:

Crates don't refill, monsters and resource nodes respawn and recharge fairly quickly. You're dealing with a mix of finite and unlimited resources so no need to worry over that. (there was a recently fixed bug where if you went too long without loading from a save some monsters wouldn't drop loot).
If you need some quick cash before you've reached the actual mine, buying an extra pick/scythe and going on a harvesting run through the caves for mushrooms and methane is pretty profitable (1000+ credits easy) and very low risk (even with shop-bought gear like the broom). It's fairly quick but the time cost does add up slightly even before you unlock the mines so don't go hog wild - but do take advantage of it if you can't afford replacement gear as any of the most basic free gear of the game can clear it. While a harvest chance of 41%/47% doesn't seem much different, I believe it does result in more double harvests, so buying basic tools and light is probably more profitable than doing it by hand though I can't say whether you'd experience a loss from the cost of crafted items depending on where you go to mine.
Even when the game displays a 0% discount, there's about a 10% difference in the prices (based on the tooltip price when not in a trade screen) between selling directly to the specific NPC and using the all-purpose shop terminal. There is another minor time-cost both in turn counter and player time so I often use the shop, but if I'm moving large quantities of high value unrefined ore, mushrooms, or similar stacking resources I tend to go directly to a relevant NPC.
The dogtags/id unlock new game+ benefits (the % over each class at character select), and also new portraits. Don't forget to register them in your inventory.
Researching monster parts/harvest items adds them to your codex and gives you some benefits depending on your level of research. AFAIK you need to research each item ten times for full benefit.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Q: How do I get the T2 lamp?
A: Progress the plot until you get access to the camp management screen. At that point, you can develop the blueprints for T2 Engineering on the production screen. After this is done, you can research any T1 lamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

A retraction to my previous post about Subterrain: Mines of Titan, from the patch notes:
Infection rise start trigger moved from defeating boss1 to when player actually first arrives at B1

Do, in fact, take your time if you feel like it.
This implies that you can take your time getting the first level or two of each weapon skill if you want to see what interests you the most before spending perk points.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 20, 2024