Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Deus Ex:

-The first section of the game is what turns a lot of people off to it. Many learn to like it in time, but just know that this game gets exponentially better as you move along.

-Always explore. I've played this game many times, and, like a good book, each playthrough I find something new (I didn't see Morpheus until my third-or-so playthrough, easily my favorite dialogue of any game ever)

Anachronox:

-Patch, god drat you, patch this game. (Secondary: Learn the speed-up key included in one of the patches. It's important.)

-Just like above, Don't worry if you find the first section of the game boring. Just keep going, and you'll soon find yourself having a blast.

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 29, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

mystery at hog island posted:

it was a mix between unfamiliarity and low skill points that made people dislike it, so if that's the case wouldn't it apply to ANY first level there could have been?

You're right on both counts. It's just exacerbated by the fact that in Deus Ex, when you aren't skilled in, say, pistols, it's impossible to hit anything without sitting out in their field of view for a few seconds, in which time the enemy can easily take you out.

People have been trained all their gaming careers to always move while shooting, but in the earlier Deus Ex levels that's simply not an option unless you want to get up in their face (a no-no on the harder difficulties).

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Lockback posted:

I know its new, but I forgot I had it on my gamefly list, so its on its way. Anyone have any advice for Godfather 2?

Assuming this isn't a fakepost:

Know that you will probably be disappointed. The beginning of this game makes you feel pretty awesome- the first time you take over a crime ring makes you feel like a badass.

Unfortunately, pretty immediately you realize that this is nowhere near as good a game as it could have been.

The first thing I noticed was that New York was maybe a mile long- i almost appreciated the honesty in stripping away the useless parts of the city to keep the important locations closer together (there are three cities in all to capture, and they are all around the same size as new york), but even what they gave us felt unfinished- it looks and plays worse than saint's row 1.

Also, most of the perks you can get for taking crime rings over are useless- armored cars are absolutely never useful, and bullet proof vests are useless in a system where headshots are so easy (on the PC, anyway)

You did good just renting it, but I'd move along to better games soon.

EDIT: Seconding Homeworld 2: I am stuck on the same mission with the shipyard (the third one)- the sheer number of Vaygr ships they throw at the shipyard are unfair, and the resources run out so you can't build more ships.

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 11, 2009