Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.

The Capm posted:

I loved this thread last time and I will love it this time. Anyone want to provide a few tips for X-Com: UFO Defense?

X-Com: UFO Defense

-When you begin your game, begin building more Living Quarters and General Stores. You'll need them for more Scientists and all the loot you'll be shortly aquiring.

-Change both Interceptors' weaponry so they use Avalanche Missles; these are longer range than most UFO beams and should take out all UFOs until you can get Plasma Beams.

-Understand that units are expendable; it is not uncommon to have 50% mortality rates for new players. Just be sure to buy more Rookies.

-You can right click to have a unit turn and look. The Skyranger has windows allowing you to see a good portion of the map simply by right clicking.

-If you are finding yourself running out of ammo clips after missions, unload as many clips before the end of the mission. The game reads any clip currently in a gun as completely expended if even one shot as been fired from it. Alternatively, ammo clips not in a gun after the mission is finished counts as a full clip, even if only one shot remains.

-Never, ever, EVER sell Elerium-115. This is the basis of making plasma clips and advanced aircraft fuel. You cannot buy or make it; you must recover it from UFOs or alien bases.

-Terror missions are hard in the early game, especially for new players. If you think you cannot handle a terror mission, go there anyway and abort the mission on the first turn. Though you'll recieve a bad score, the penalty for allowing a terror mission to go unchecked is much worse.

-The best starting places for your first base is America or Europe. The surrounding countries contribute a large amount of money to your cause every month. Do good and they will increase funding.

-Try to research Laser weapons as soon as possible. They are a large upgrade in terms of damage and speed, and they don't use ammo to boot. Rifles are best for combat, pistols are manufactured in bulk to sell for a good early profit, and heavy laser is regarded as useless due to lack of auto-shot.

-Auto shot. Use it, learn it, love it. It fires three shots right after each other, statstically increasing your chance at actually hitting the target. In some cases where ammo or risk of secondary explosions is high, Aimed shot may be better. Maybe.

-Try to keep your scientists researching and your engineerings manufacturing 24/7. Shoot down and recover every UFO you can until you think you have a firm grasp on the game. X-Com is a big game and it will take a few sessions before you feel like you know what you're doing.

Those are a few tips I thought of off the top of my head. There's countless more tips, but I tried to keep them fairly basic so you can discover X-Com for yourself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU