Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

GTA 4: If a friend calls you to hang out but you don't want to, agree anyway. Then call them back to cancel, and you won't lose any respect from them. If you want to get their abilities but don't want to spend a lot of time with them, just go get food and drop them back off.

Dead Rising: You're probably going to die several times at the beginning. That's fine, you can start over and keep all your levels. Don't expect to be able to do everything and still meet the time limits when you first go through. You can talk to survivors and get XP, but I would consider actually bringing them back a secondary goal for now.

GTA4: ALWAYS get Roman to 100% friendship asap. That way you can abuse the cab system. If you have an extra few bucks, just do your "dates" with friends/girlfriends with cabs and you get the whole thing done in less than half the time of literally driving everywhere (though you have to pay extra to rush the cab, it is so worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Polite Tim posted:

How do you cheese character creation exactly?

Borderlands
I'm not finding this game that fun, mainly because the bosses are awfully designed. Any tips for this? Playing as a soldier, using revolver, shotgun, sniper combo atm, with leech grenades. Currently stuck fighting the horrible shielded brute which is wiping my shields in one hit and then two shotting me whilst i'm barely scratching his health.

Why do you have a Sniper/Hunter loadout as a soldier? You don't get the damage bonuses and soliders with assault rifles are loving scary.

I don't know if this will help your current situation, but it might help you overall to try and use the characters perferred weapon loadouts.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

BigTeaBag posted:

Any advice before I start Red Dead Redemption?

-Go explore the map and try and visit each town relativly early. Thieves Landing is really important due to the Bandanna, which makes you immune to rep changes if you want to go on a rampage without losing honor. The poker suit is also loving sweet if you want to unlock it by winning a few games of poker as it allows you to cheat.

-Hunting is the easiest way to make quick money, followed by bounties. If you don't care about 100% focus on these two as missions don't pay too well.

-You can drag people for roughly 1 mile in-game before they die. Hold LT/L2 after you lasso someone and start moving on foot or horseback to drag them. This is amazingly addictive.
-

I recently purchased Splinter Cell and Pandora Tomorrow on the PC in a 2 for 5$ deal, I have never played the series before, but have been interested for a while. Anything I should know about either of these games before walking in?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Vinlaen posted:

Regarding Dragon Age, if I play as a mage, is it feasible to have a party consisting of me (mage-dps?), Morrigan (mage-dps?), Wynne (mage-healer), Leliana (rogue)?

Three mages is probably overkill but they all seem useful and I do like Leliana but I'm guessing a warrior might be better... (but they all don't seem that great, heh)

Its feesible and/or broken until you mess up your targeting and get face-raped by a bunch of warriors tearing your mages to shreds.

But if you want to cheap the game, you will destroy everyone with that setup, especially with traps combined with inferno/grease.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
So, I haven't played any kind of PC FPS online since UT2004 about 3 years ago. I just bought Call of Duty: Black Ops. What the gently caress should I know before I start on Steam multiplayer? I've gone through most of the single player campaign, so I know the basics of whats going on.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Fonzarelli posted:

At least in Undead Nightmare the song doesn't stop if you get off. Too bad the song is ridiculously awful :(

Actually that song is just as badass as the game it's featured in. They need to have a music based DLC for RDR sometime.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

They had to record new dialogue for some new content and control prompts so they probably just decided to do the whole drat thing.

Actually they re-recorded the whole thing for digital surround sound. When the original PSX audio was converted it was horrible. It was apparently recorded in somebody's living room and you could hear traffic in the background if you listened.
I don't know why they dropped the accents though, at least Naomi's. Mei-Ling's accent made no sense at all.

So they had to re-record it regardless of prompts (otherwise you could just have Hayter voice over the control changes "So, if I press down+A I can use the codec!?") and the fact that they got the original cast to rerecord everything (except for Gray Fox who is voiced by someone different) is amazing. Rumor has it that hayter insisted on having them return, even if it meant a pay cut for him. (I have no idea if this is true)

I preferred the Twin Snakes more overall, as I loved the retardedness of MGS2 and TTS was so much more fun and seemed to fit better in the universe overall.

Why could they use the recordings from Twin Snakes in MGS4? But not the visuals for the flashbacks? I know it was a nintendo exclusive, but how were they able to secure the rights to the audio recordings?

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 28, 2011

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Well I didn't know about the other stuff and it makes sense, I don't think this is true. If Hayter re-recorded those lines only they'd stick out as sounding different, for a host of reasons ranging from audio quality to Hayter just not being in the same mindset (tone, pitch etc) as when he recorded the original 10 years before.

True, but it still would have been the cheapest way, if the original recordings were usable. It would have definitely sounded off though.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

How should I get the most fun out of Crysis?

I've played though about 2 hours now, and I can't find a play-style that seems natural. Pegging enemies from a distance Stalker-style doesn't seem very effective, and using invisibility to disappear from view seems almost overpowered.

Throw turtles at Koreans with strength mode on.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Sammus posted:

I'm getting ready to pick up Saints Row 4. Are there any options in the character creator I need to pick to ensure the fullest Saints Row experience, such as the Russian female voice in SR2?

Yes, the cockney voice is in the game and you can choose purple as a color on everything. That's really all you need to know before SR4.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Rush the main quest until you unlock dash and super jump, then clear your side quests before advancing the main quest any further.

Tornado is bloody annoying because there are a few missions where it would be really nice to just dash over to someone without it throwing all the surrounding cars, scenery and pedestrians all over the place.

I'd say it's more of an annoyance than a benefit. Since you can't switch it off once you've bought it, when it unlocks, save the game then give it a try. If you think it's awesome, keep it. If you hate setting off the wanted level every time you sprint, reload the pre-upgrade save.

I hated it, but everyone's different.

or you could just summon a car for distances greater than 200 ft. That solves the problem completely and you can have an awesome upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

al-azad posted:

Yeah, Half-Life 3 could never live up to its hype and if it ever does happen it needs to be released the moment it's announced.

To be fair, they said that for Half-Life 2 as well, and it came close to the hype. At the same time a lot of the FPS genre has changed for good and ill since HL2 so you are probably right.