Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

Gonna start Dark Souls for the first time tonight. Pretty good amount of information on the wiki, is there any other tidbits?

Spend souls as soon as you can, don't hoard them. Upgrade weapons and armor rather then level your character.

Humanity can be used to kindle a bonfire to give you 10 flasks rather then 5.

Talk to everyone as much as possible, especially after major events. The game does not hold your hand or explain anything you have to dig into every crevice and alcove to suss out the lore of the game world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Anything for Warhammer: Dawn of War including Soulstorm, Dark Crusade, and Winter assault, or Warhammer: Dawn of War 2 including Retribution and Chaos Rising?

Dawn of War: It's a pretty basic RTS with squads, only the focus is on capture and hold. It's really easy to pick up the basic's during the campaign, but multiplayer is a completely different story.

Winter Assault: Both campaigns are mostly identical. Just play your favorite race, don't bother with the others.

Dark Crusade: Easily the best of the series. Rush to capture the 'special' territories close to your starting position. Fight every AI attacking battle unless you've got a huge numerical advantage or you'll probably lose. The commander's

DoW 2: Focus on terrain and tactics. Scouts are the weakest by the numbers but can devastate the enemies with their special abilities if you use them right. Tactics and cover are much more important in this game then DoW 1. Capture special objectives every chance you get, they add special abilities that allow you to go nuts (getting multiple orbital bombardments for one)

Chaos Rising: The new 'corruption' aspect doesn't change anything major, just a few lines of dialogue and 1 boss. It's mostly a playstyle choice.

Retribution: Play Orcs or Tyranids. They're the only new feature to DoW 2 that is worth getting into.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Assassin's Creed - Revelations tips

- The game opens up really early, and you can get to 90+% of the locations fairly quickly. This also means you can do all of the Recruit missions and get one of the best armour sets almost as early as you want (in relation to the main story missions).

- You can refill bombs anywhere, assuming you have the materials. You just can't make new kinds unless you go to the specific locations.

- Buying buildings raises your Notoriety this time, and it's slightly harder to reduce it (since there are no posters). Just be aware of it. Books and Landmarks are a massive money sink which isn't really worthwhile outside of completionist tendencies.

- The Tower Defence game is optional aside from the tutorial. If you're careful about dropping your Notoriety it won't come up, and if you've got a max rank recruit running a district then that area is safe permanently. The achievement can be completed by making all districts secure.

- The DLC is all first person puzzle crap. It's barely relevant backstory that you can skip without missing much other than that Lucy was actually a Templar. And that is revealed in an utterly inept way.

Bombs are pretty much entirely optional, but are lots of fun. Play around with them. I disagree that impact shells are the only ones you want, especially if you're trying some fun stuff.

Could you add this to the wiki? It's strange that all the AC games are up except Revelations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

EddieDean posted:

Off the top of my head, you don't need to know too much, as they'll generally point you in the right direction, but:

Wind Waker: Don't feel like you have to explore everywhere, just do it when you feel like (but enjoy it, as it's lovely). There'll come a point later on where you have to do a big fetch quest about finding an important artifact broken down into many, many pieces. It's a bit tedious. With a lot of money you can buy a map to more maps to the pieces, which helps immeasurably. Just power through it, because the ending section is fantastic.

Twilight Princess: The game takes a while to kick off. Don't worry about it - after maybe three hours maximum, it gets awesome and will stay that way all the way through.

Wind Waker: Do not even bother with collecting statues with the camera. The camera can be used to take pictures of things and show them to people for treasure maps. It's not completely obvious but I went through my first play through without getting most treasure maps.

Twilight Princess: Get wallet upgrades as soon as possible. Dungeons are filled with rupees and your wallet will fill up really quickly.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

Do get rich quick.

Apart from that play it however the hell you like. Just make sure you have something approaching balance on the team build screen and everything will be cool.

Team balance is meaningless unless you're playing on hard mode.

If you want to explore the planets and run around getting the fallen satellites and search ship wreckage, have someone in the party with decryption maxed as soon as you can. All of the recoverable items have a skill check for the highest decryption level in the party. The party members are Garrus, Kaiden, and Tali, or Shepard if you pick the right class.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BrightWing posted:

- Being underleveled is rough. If stuff is getting a bit too hot, go do side missions. A level and a couple of gear upgrades can do wonders.

- I would suggest avoiding playing as Zer0, because he has no way of self-healing other than a lifesteal on melee attacks that kinda sucks.

- Related to the above one, self-healing skills are pretty important. Healing shields are basically non-existent and health drops usually aren't enough.

- Axton is pretty good for single player. His turret can take some of the heat off you, in addition to being crazy awesome.

- Don't even think about doing all the challenges. Badass Rank carrys across characters.

- Try to pick a skill tree and stick to it, no matter who you're playing.

- If you have spare cash, the slots at Moxxie's aren't a bad choice. Don't go crazy, but they can get you some decent stuff.

If you have anything specific, ask. I'm sure there is stuff I'm forgetting.

When in doubt, be overleveled. The loot drop percents for BL2 are insanely small for top tier weapons, like 1/10000 or lower. Always have a flame, a shock, a slag, and a launcher weapon with you. The flame weapons do much greater damage to organics, the shock takes care of robots and shields, and a launcher with full ammo should be able to kill any regular boss. The slag weapon doesn't matter for damage but the slag %, and once slagged the other 2 elemental weapons will triple their damage.

A lot of weapons will have bullet multipliers that aren't necessary obvious at first. A launcher that uses 1 rocket with 1500 x3 damage is way better then a launcher that uses 1 rocket with 4000 damage, but the green/red arrows don't reflect it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sociopastry posted:

Anyone have anything for Chantelise: A Tale of Two Sisters?

You will have to grind an obscene amount to make it through the game. Expect to replay each dungeon all the way through 5-10 times each to level up enough and acquire enough money to buy upgrades so you can defeat the boss.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Artix posted:

Anything not already on the Wiki for Deus Ex: Human Revolution? If it helps, I've seen some of the game (a decent amount of Detroit and a tiny bit of Shanghai) in videos, so I'm not completely blind.

Get the Icarus landing system ASAP. It makes traveling all over the multi-layer city much less frustrating.

Obviously get the typhoon, and buy typhoon ammo whenever you can.

Make sure to have a powerful explosive or heavy weapon with you at all times.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

Not especially, no. If you want to use one of them as a love interest, that would be a reason to keep one alive, but it seems a safe bet that you don't. You can make Kaidan come out of the closet (by gay sexing him) in 3 if you want. And you can make Ashley look like a fool for her "you'll never see me in a tinfoil skirt and high-heeled boots" line in 1, because that's basically her costume in 3. But I can't think of anything else that makes one more interesting than any other.

Ashley is a hilarious space racist in ME1, and gets crazy jealous in ME3 if you cheated on her, in addition to her being blindingly stupid about Shepard and Cerberus, to the point where While Udina is setting up the Council to die and tells Ashley to protect them she'll back him and either Shep or Garrus can shoot her.

Either way, there is an enormous amount of content and dialogue you'll miss unless you play from ME1 through with both major choices, but its best to just play the way you like and youtube anything you want to see from another perspective.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Is Metro 2033 the game where hard mode is easier then normal/regular because the enemies are bullet sponges at easier difficultie

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Colon V posted:

I just got it in the new Hundle, anything to know about the Walking Dead? (The good, point-and-click one.)

Use a separate save slot for each episode. There's a game breaking bug in chapter 3 I'm not sure is still around but keep back saves so you don't have to do everything over again.

Like the other posters have said, pick a vocal personality and stick with it. You can go back and forth in attitudes but it helps to get more into the character if you have a consistent feel for his personality. I was playing closer to middle of the road rather then outspoken and sometimes I'd catch myself going "No loving way I/he puts up with this" at certain points.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Is anyone else having trouble loading the pages on the wiki? My connection is fine and its not a problem anywhere else but it takes a good 5-10 seconds to load a single page.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I have never once played D&D in my life and have no idea how any of it works.

Given that, what do I need to know for Neverwinter Nights 2? The GOG version if that matters.

First, to avoid the most annoying bug I've ever seen, create a new save file each time you save. Sometimes, if a save file is overwritten X number of times when you try to access the map screen no locations are available and you're stuck. There's probably a debug mode workaround but I just created a new save each time.

http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Character_builds

Unless you know the ins and outs of the class system it can get really confusing with the multi leveling aspect. You pretty much have to know from the start what direction to go if you want a specific prestige class or player build. Ignore anything on that chart that focuses on PVP, and skills like parry, disarm aren't useful for the regular game unless as pre-reqs for future skills.

Play the game for a bit, try to figure out the basic mechanics, then head over to the games NWN thread. There are a lot of bugs in NWN2 and one optional part (you get a run down castle and can expand and manage it) so hosed up by game design that most people suggest you just follow a step by step guide to optimize it and unlock everything while avoiding the game breaking bugs.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548991

pentyne fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 30, 2013

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ambassador of Funk posted:

I've picked up Total War: Shogun 2 on a whim, because I like all the politics stuff, but I'm not very good at strategy games. Anything I should know going in? Especially for a beginner? For both solo and co-op.

It's a slightly modified rock-paper-scissors system you can figure out from checking unit statistics and seeing what they get bonuses against.

Archers: Great against everything as they slowly approach. The Chosokabe have 'improved' archers who in sufficient numbers and wipe out approaching armies before they get a chance.
Spear guys: Great against horses
Samurai: Great against foot melee troops
Calvary: Great against any light melee and while charging, get killed easily when surrounded

All combat boils down to, especially in Shogun 2 is use the non-samurai to tie up units, and flank them with samurai units to slaughter them. Calvery should charge, retreat, charge and never stay engaged. Archers can also fire into melee if you don't care about your units which the non-samurai are great for.

Other specialty units are fairly specific, but fall into one of the 4 types and should be used accordingly.

Auto-resolve is hit or miss, and usually favors numerical superiority but sucks. Sieges are best auto resolved, but I had battles I played on the map and lost almost no troops while an auto-resolve of the same battle lost 1/3 of the army.

Agents are really, really useful, and when leveling if you focus on specific traits (bonus to attached armies, escaping detection etc.) they're almost unbeatable in that role.

Always be building units. If you start accruing excess gold dump it into buildings that improve revenue but ideally you want 2-3 nearly full armies in the field and a fair amount of units garrisoned in cities near the borders.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

I've finally gotten around to fixing my 360.
What do I need to know about NIER?

Get all 4 endings on your own, with minimal guide help. It was probably the most amazing gaming experience of my life.

You can back up your save on a memory card before the "final choice", but watching the resulting sequence will probably just encourage you to delete it anyways to complete the experience.

Also the fishing directions in the game are poo poo, find a youtube video that shows how to do it right.

Don't bother with planting anything or finding rare items unless you want to max out your favorite weapon.

Inzombiac posted:

Well thank god for that. I am a huge nerd for hundred percenting games even if it nets me no rewards.

Don't ever try to 100% a Cavia game, they take special pleasure in making it nigh-impossible or tedious.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Any tips for Risen 2 and Two Worlds 2? The wiki for the first Risen mentions some essential stuff that game doesn't explain at all, and Two Worlds 1 was hilariously broken and great to exploit but generally a poo poo game. Most of these Euro crpgs are fairly obtuse and not great on explaining mechanics.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

crime fighting hog posted:

Hey guys, finally getting around to Knights of the Old Republic II. Any good tips to save some frustration?

1- The Sith Lords Restoration mod adds a ton of cut content in an almost seamless manner. I'd suggest adding it if its your first time playing.

2- Every character has an influence level with you that if you raise high enough you unlock more dialogue options and other things. It's pretty easy to figure out for most, and can be easily unlocked through regular dialogue, but some of the NPC's have to be present during specific moments when you give a response in order to get enough influence points for them to progress. If you really want to see everything it's better to just play the game once and then use an influence editor to see the extra content.

3- The game is extremely similar to Kotor 1, and if you haven't played it, uses 3rd ED D&D rules. Since its an Obsidian game, there are a lot more potential solutions based on skill checks rather then direct combat.

4- Pick either dark or light side and go all the way. You get insane stat bonuses once you reach enough light/dark side points.

5- If you don't know how the leveling system works the 'recommended' button is decent but not great. Once you figure it out you can easily min/mix.

6- Save frequently and often. Don't rely on the autosave, you might want to go back and change a choice once you see the final outcome, or just go back and see other outcomes.

7- The light side ending is much different from the dark side ending. You can either play it twice, or youtube it, but it's not something you unlock by a final set of choices near the end.

Holy poo poo there's no article for this game on the wiki. It really needs a better write-up then this. I've played the game 5+ times but I played it right after it came out so I have nostalgic fondness for it.

Brasseye posted:

Id be much obliged if anyone has any advice for The Last Remnant on PC. It looks really confusing.

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=The_Last_Remnant
Check the wiki. It's got a great breakdown of the difference between the PC and console version.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

There's multiple ways to tackle almost every objective. The more obtuse ones usually pay out the most since they require the most work. Accomplishing some things or finding out certain information in one mission may also give you another way to tackle a later mission. Someone who's played more recently than me can elaborate better.

Playing Deus Ex like a regular FPS is terrible the first time through. Try to play as a spy, avoiding most battles and generally killing unaware enemies with silenced guns or just dropping grenades down into a room from the ducts. Or set up some proximity mines then start shooting at the enemies and wait for them to charge into the minefield and die. Or hack the battle robots/turrets and turn them against each other.

There's really tons of options but charging in with the assault rifle or shotgun is the least fun.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

al-azad posted:

Can you even play the Citadel DLC before beating the game? I had the DLC installed but never saw it in the main story.

Speaking of multiplayer, my favorite class is whichever has the energy drain ability. On harder difficulties enemies are cheap bullet sponges but sucking away their shields makes you a great team player.

Its best to play before the point of no return, the assault on the Cerberus base. That way you get every character encounter you've unlocked and have seen every person that could be alive by that point in the game, plus get max attendance to the party.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Red Robin Hood posted:

Two games I would like to know if there is anything I should know before playing:

3DS Fire Emblem: Awakening

PS3 Shadow of the Colossus

Shadow of the Colossus: Check the strategy guide for how to beat the bosses, some of them can take up to an hour if you don't know where the weak points are. The game is crazy atmospheric and half the enjoyment is wandering around while searching for the next boss monster.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

I've been dabbling with Sleeping Dogs and I'm not too far in, but my question is which DLC is worth getting, and when should it be played? Is it legit or mostly piecemeal costume bullshit a la SRTT DLC?

Story DLC
- Nightmare in North Point
- Year of the Dragon
- Zodiac Tournement

is all pretty good. Everything else is just a few extra missions, costumes, free money or extra exp.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Male Man posted:

The game throws a lot at you and explains little, but once you get a handle on the mechanics and learn what you need and can safely ignore it gets a lot less tiring. Then you can focus on the combat and use the RPG mechanics to specialize and customize.

Do not attempt to collect every collectible. You will go insane. Grab what you find, don't worry about the rest. If you're a completionist, Darksiders 2 will either break you of that habit or just break you.

Respecs are dirt cheap. Feel free to experiment with skills.

Focus on Harbinger/strength/crit/critical damage (mashing up dudes with melee combat) or Necromancer/arcane/arcane crit/arcane critical damage (spells and minions erry day), don't bother mixing and matching stats. Do mix and match spells. Defense, resistance, thorns, and health aren't terribly worthwhile stats, just don't get hit in the first place.

Health restoring stats are handy. They'll let you recover from small bumps and bruises without dipping into your health potion supply--great for longer fights. Health steal is the best but hard to get (only available on some unique weapons or by getting lucky after sacrificing a Legacy Artifact to a possessed weapon), and health on crit can be quite effective with a crit build, especially when paired with a fist weapon.

Don't neglect the trainers. The combos they give you are potent.

Possessed weapons aren't terribly well explained in-game, and they're kinda finicky. By default, they're unexceptional: they have average stats and carry between zero and two stat bonuses. You can sacrifice other pieces of gear to a possessed weapon, which does two things: 1) raises the possessed weapon's "experience bar", which allows it to gain up to 5 levels (this doesn't increase its equip requirement), slightly increasing all its stats and 2) adds any compatible stats (they'll be highlighted when you select the weapon to sacrifice) to the possessed weapon's level up pool; on leveling up you select one of the stats in its pool to give to the possessed weapon. If it's a stat it already has it gets a small boost, if its a new stat then it gets a big initial bump. You can only have four stats in the weapon's level up pool, so avoid sacrificing armor when you can so that the high priority defense and resistance stats don't flood out the stats you actually want.

The magnitude of the added stat does not depend in any way on the gear sacrificed, it's purely a function of the possessed weapon's item level--you don't have to dump a dozen +crit weapons in to get a big crit bonus when one will do the same job. A possessed weapon can have up to four bonus stats on it (including any they start with), so plan ahead a bit. Optimizing a single possessed weapon can carry you through half the game. You can largely ignore them if you want, but they give you the opportunity to make the perfect weapon for your playstyle.

That should really go into the wiki. I think a lot of people picked up Darksiders 2 in the recent Humble Bundle and will be checking this thread and the wiki for advice.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I'm starting to play Dishonored for the first time, and at least in this prologue or whatever I'm proving really really awful at stealth :saddowns:

Is there a point of no return for how badly I gently caress up being generally nonlethal? Is that even advisable?

At the start allegedly, when the assassins attack the Empress. If you kill them that breaks a non-lethal play through.

The thread suggest not to do a non-lethal run, but I did it anyway and find it way more engaging and rewarding because it reminded me of playing Deus Ex, where 90% of the game was sneaking around, finding alternate ways to objectives, and generally exploring the level map as much as you could.

Going High Chaos and murdering everyone who crosses you just didn't have the same appeal to me as knocking out the targets and subjecting them to some psychological torment/destroying their lives and careers.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ddraig posted:

The best advice you can get on the Witcher 2 is about combat, and it's basically this: Use every trick in your book. Stuff is there to be used. If you don't, you will get brutally slaughtered. A Witcher isn't really all that, and your biggest asset is the ability to fight dirty. Do whatever it takes to win, it's the Witcher way.

Build your character to specialize in either sword play or magic. Trying to spread out and get a bit of everything really weakens your character. You almost have to get Quen to level 2 until you master the combat system, but the other spells aren't too useful unless you really focus on their synergies i.e the flame spell and taking abilities that increase damage against burning targets.

A typical fight in The Witcher games should go something like this

- Creep up, see a group of enemies
- Set traps, juice up on potions
- Use spells/bombs to take out the biggest target, aggro the rest
- Lead their charge into your traps, kill the survivors
- Rush up and murder any archers since Witchers deflect arrows

You can also oil up your sword to do more damage to certain types, so if you're going ghost hunting, adding an extra +25% dmg to spectrals really gives you an edge.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MisterGBH posted:

I recently picked up Lego Batman 2 and have never played any of the Lego games. I have heard they are a bit samey but ultimately fun. I assume that not much introduction is needed?

There is an enormous amount of stuff to buy with the coins you collect, but if you want to get everything you need to buy the X2/X4 etc multipliers first before anything else otherwise it's a massive slog.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Average Bear posted:

Neverwinter Nights 2? I've heard of it so much, but next to nothing about it.

It's the classic "you were abandoned as a child and raised by the mysterious man on the edge of the village". From there, it starts with the typical explore the village tutorial before setting you loose on the nearby world because monsters attacked your village.

You pick up various NPCs as you progress, sarcastic rogue elf, stoic drunken brawler dwarf, serious mystical druid, etc. and progress towards a major city, Neverwinter. The characters you pick up have extensive backstories you open up through dialogue/skill checks and reputation increases from agreeing with their point of view during encounters. Each character also has their own companion missons that pop up eventually and allow them to gain permanent bonuses/decide their loyalties.

The game kicks into "major world spanning threat" near the halfway point and you become a major player in the game world getting your own castle to manage. The keep management aspect is really broken and hard to figure out, but there are plenty of guides that lead you through it.

The game gets really, really good for a while then completely falls apart at the end. The last level is a complete slog, and while the final boss fight is really interesting the actual ending is god-awful.

Mask of the Betrayer is all around one of the best written and directed CRPGs ever made. The narration is incredibly well done, the characters all have complex and detailed personas and the high level combat is actually more then just "mages kill everything"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

This depends a lot on what classes you're dual-ing from/to, since there are different XP gradations for each class, as well as different break points in terms of when each class gets access to various perks or bonuses.

The PIH wiki has a pretty good breakdown about when you should switch from/to for any given combination. http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur%27s_Gate:_Dual_and_Multiclassing

For a Thief->Fighter, 6 and 11 tend to be the magic numbers, though for a Swash, 10 and 15 are also good choices.

Going thief to fighter is a terrible endgame plan though. Since you can't pick a specialized fighter class you miss the best abilities/bonuses.

The most over-powered duel-wield class was take a Kensai to level 9, then duel to mage, kicking out party members and then scribing every available spell to really quickly level up. By mage level 14/16 when you get Tenser's Transformation you'd have a character with 400+ hp ten attacks per round, AC of -20, in addition to any other protection spells.

By that point, you can more or less solo the last half of ToB with high level summons. I don't recommended it for a first play through. You generally want to go fighter-thief, fighter-mage, or thief-mage. Thieves high level abilities late game are way more useful then fighter high level abilities, and high level mages are mandatory past the 2rd act.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Anything for Dungeon Siege 3 that's not already in the wiki? I'm mostly interested in the gunslinger woman character...Katarina, I think?

Use a controller, the game is geared more towards the quick movement twitch based gameplay. Standing still and taking hits will get you killed.

The party member who can change into the Human Torch has the most plot relevance, so if you include her you get a lot more of the story then without.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Leper Colon V posted:

Exception: Don't overwatch if the AI can see the Overwatching dude. They'll never move, and instead just shoot at him, which results in more casualties in the long run. In that situation, have the guy Hunker Down instead.

The OP of the XCOM thread links to a great post detailing how exactly to use overwatch properly.

In addition to all the advice, playing on normal vs classic is a huge difference, and you get develop bad habits on normal that will get you slaughtered in classic.

For going into the games fresh, play the tutorial, and progress through the game until you feel overwhelmed or too far behind the enemies in technology to do well. Start over with a new game and repeat. It'll take a few tries to get the game mechanics down but after a few games where I was losing countries and getting slaughtered constantly I finally got to the point where I was placing satellites to keep countries from leaving and getting laser weapons as early as I could.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Heavy Lobster posted:

Bought Kingdoms of Amalur because of the weekend sale and the wiki entry is a bit barebones - anything that it doesn't cover that I'd be well off knowing? Also, it mentions a bug where Adrenaline Surge will damage you rather than heal you at low health, has that been fixed by chance?

Maxing Detect Hidden ASAP makes the game way more fun because the map lights up all the collectibles and chests. It's a bit of a chore and takes a while but playing all three classes at once (Jack of All Trades) gives progressively greater passive skill bonuses.

There are trainers for every skill level (beginner, med, advanced) plus skill books so its easy to make up the losses if you've got the gold.

The most frequently used skills will be lockpick, persuasion, and maybe alchemy (increases chance to successfully collect stuff). Stealth is almost pointless, sagecrafting/blacksmithing break the game by giving you super-powered generic looking equipment, and Dispel's minigame is annoying as poo poo so you'll probably not even bother if "auto-resolve" doesn't work.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Leper Colon V posted:

Long Live The Queen was on sale, and I caved. What should I know? (I keep dying about 2-3 months in, but don't spoil too much, please.)

You'll have to choose very specific paths early on and stick with them. If you want magic? Mainline to get it asap. Just from memory for heavy on the magic you'll want to max the following skills

- Finance (whichever one gets you into the vaults, and in general a mastery of all as the 3 skills are in quite a few skill checks)
- Priestly stuff (Lore etc.)
- Lumen stuff

And then just see what related failures you make. There seem to be a few very divergent paths that require focusing early on, but trial and error is the only way to figure it out. Make sure to know what weekend activities can change your mood so you get the highest boosts to whatever you're studying. If you try to min max it properly, you can ignore a skill for 3 weeks, and in one week make up all the missed exp by having the right moods.

Be warned, there's one event, exploring the old ruins, that requires 4-5 back to back skill checks for wildly different skills you are certain to fail unless you built your princess specifically to beat it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's definitely can of worms territory (pick a random page of the Mass Effect 3 thread and you'll probably still find people talking about this), but for the most part, the hate is for the ending. ME3 is still, in my opinion at least, a blast to play, and is fun for all or most of the same reasons that ME2 was fun. Even most of the story is generally considered to be pretty good, it's just the ending that everyone loves to hate.

Some people love to hate other stuff about the game too, but for the most part, I think it's safe to say that if you liked ME2, you should at least give ME3 a shot, it's not even close to the disappointment that DA2 was, don't let the ending hate spoil the whole thing for you.

The hate has tapered off immensely after the free ending fix and Citadel DLC. Most people even say they were satisfied play the game up to the point of no return, trying the Citadel DLC, and ending the game there. The whole series tried to build this significant connection between the player and the NPC party members, and the DLC really pays off. There are so many permutations of events you can get in that DLC that there are 10 minute long youtube videos just showing each characters specific dialogue at a certain scene.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

I just started playing as well, and I'd recommend starting on at least Hard. I had never played the series before, and Normal was a complete joke, most bosses didn't lay a finger/claw/weird demon appendage on me. I'm not good at this game either. It gets a little less monochrome after you get out of Tristram (Act 1), but it's still a little samey. If you want some good comic relief, take Lyndon with you, or if you want hilarious overreactions to literally everything use Kormac. Also, Witch Doctor is super fun, he can summon flying skulls that vomit acid, zombie bears, throw exploding frogs at dudes, and turn into a Chicken Grenade.

I'd wait till you have 2-3 legenadaries before switching to hard. As a shield crusader before getting a good weapon hard was just tedious as gently caress while I chipped away at mobs who couldn't damage me.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Any advice for The Secret World?

There was a bunch of stuff in the steam thread during the last major sale when TSW was $7 about which factions were the best, what to avoid, etc.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

Ele or Entropy trees are good, but really what you want to do is fire off spell combos. That's where the real power of mages shines through (and, depending on difficulty level, makes the game trivial)
http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Spell_Combinations

Nightmare was just broken as hell to use. It stuns anything, plus does a poo poo of spirit damage which almost nothing has resistances to.

If you're going to role with 2 mages and want to have fun, you should go an entirely different mage route then just AoE damage. I went with the Arcane Warrior and turned on every sustained ability I had making my entire party a magically enhanced killing squad.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ThePariah posted:

Going to play Knights of the Old Republic 2 for the first time. I have the restoration mod installed, anything else I need to know about? I'm mainly concerned about any annoying/game-breaking bugs.

I just replayed the game with the restoration mod and didn't encounter any bugs. As long as you don't load any other mods you should be able to play straight through without problem. You will run into some problems with the sound cutting out during cut scenes or skipping all the dialogue but its a minor issue.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

al-azad posted:

If you go paladin you can get the Holy Avenger, one of the best weapon in the game. You can even go undead hunter which makes you immune to drain (a super annoying ability common enemies in this game will have) and you can still use the avenger, making you loving death incarnate.

Keldorn is an NPC you can get to join, he's an inquisitor which is basically the best anti-mage kit in the game, and he can use the Holy Avenger. There's no reason to go paladin unless you desperately want to role-play Lawful Good knight. The paladin stronghold is also pretty boring and easy to screw up if you kill the red dragon when you first meet him.

Going full fighter is also a bad idea. Either pick a kit or duel/multi-class class. A fighter/thief can one shot enemies with invisibility and back stab, and fighter/clerics can wear full plate without it affecting spell casting.

Mzbundifund posted:

There's plenty of dedicated casters. Cernd is a full Druid, and Anomen and Nalia have dual-classed into full casting classes, so their spell progression is the same as a single-classed caster, and then there's Edwin if you're making an evil party.

As far as dedicated casters go, its Edwin 100%. Edwin's school selection plus his family amulet give him an extra 3 spells per level, so when you crack that spell level 5/6/7 threshhold instead of a single spell you suddenly have 4, which is a huge advantage at levels 10-14. Just suck up the reputation hit and keep it below the level he leaves at.

Cernd is really weak in general, and regular wolfwere shift is pretty useless. As a backline caster he can throw done the great druid spells (there aren't too many good defensive spells for druids though), but he'll die quick in melee until he's got his greater wolfwere form. Jaheria is generally better since she doesn't fall apart on the front-lines.

Anomen and Nalia are mediocre at best. Viconia is the best cleric by far. Surprisingly, once you hit high level, Aerie's abilities as a mage/priest make her one of the best characters for spellcasting.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 23, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

al-azad posted:

I don't mean to say you'll screw yourself in the game if you're not a pure caster, but all the casters in the game except Viconia just have unfortunate quirks about them. Aerie is awesome for being a mage/cleric but her intelligence/wisdom are comparatively low. Nalia's thief skills are useless. Anomen is garbage as a cleric (but admittedly great as a fighter) until you finish his personal quest. Jan as an illusionist gives up skulltrap, one of the best and cheesiest damage spells in the game because it stacks. Cernd as a shapeshifter means he can't wear the excellent ankheg armor. Edwin gives up divination, which is a mostly useless school except for the very good True Sight which defeats the powerful simulacrum spell.

Minsc, Mazzy, Viconia, and Sarevok are the only "pure" classes. Everyone else is dual, multi, or a kit which isn't necessarily bad but what happens is you get a lot of cool items you wish you could use but can't really because everyone is spread out all over the place. Strangely, the evil characters are the best characters in the game. Korgan is the best tank, Viconia is the best cleric, Edwin is an impossibly good mage because of his unique item, and loving Sarevok is like getting Thunder God Cid in Final Fantasy Tactics. Maybe this was intentional to offset that playing an evil character in BioWare games results in the least favorable rewards so here, have the best characters. It sucks that Edwin and Minsc can't stand each other because these two have the best dialog in the game and Edwin has, hands down, the best "loyalty" quest out of any RPG ever.

But this is all super metagame stuff. You can set the difficulty to easy and power through. It's a BioWare game, sit back and enjoy.

If you go into Throne of Bhaal, all other classes besides mages and clerics exist only to absorb damage and keep the tide from reaching the casters. You need 2 mages, because you have to constantly strip magic protections AND deal insane damage, and at least 1 cleric for mass heal/summoning devas. High Level 2ed combat is really not that fun.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Okay, at minimum, should I at least aim for a baseline level of skill in everything, and then focus on a few areas? Or just focus on a few areas for my "victory condition" from the get go?

There are 5-6 main "paths" you can take, going full magic or accounting at first is a good way to make it a fair bit through the game before reaching any impossible skill checks. After that when you get the hang of it you'll know what skills to raise and how to take advantage of the mood bonuses. Some skills are literally useless save for one "make skill check or die" late in the game.

You can run into the following

- Peasant rebellion
- Noble rebellion
- Magic Wars
- Foreign invasions
- Exploring mystic ruins (where you will certainly die)
- Naval combat

etc. There is really a massive amount of content you'll probably never see without playing for dozens of hours or following a guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb2zIR2rvRQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=29