Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

gohuskies posted:

I have a quick Disco Elysium question - it's noon on the first day and I've mostly been just doing stuff around the starting building, but it seems like I'm starting to hit dead ends. Is it a good idea to keep trying to resolve stuff here or should I go start wandering the map?

Time does not advance unless you are exploring a new conversation path (or using certain items I think?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Kruller posted:

while True learn()

It's pretty simple and straightforward. Learn the lesson / get the new node, apply it in growing complexity over a few levels, learn a new lesson / get a new node...

Don't fuss about getting full stars on each level (unless you want the challenge) - I can't remember what the reward for full stars is, but it didn't strike me as worth the effort.

The "business" things can buy a few upgrades, but I don't think any are necessary to finish the game. Play a few to get the feel for them & if you want to buy something from the shop, otherwise don't feel like you need to engage with the management side of the game. Also, once you get a business running well, it'll quite quickly drop off in revenues, so don't expect to be rolling in cash because the first business is working well after three cycles.

That's what I can remember from when I played through it last year.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Vadun posted:

Pull a list of every new release from the Steam API then populate a page with "git gud"

What about the Epic, Ubisoft, Blizzard, EA, itch.io, GOG, freeflashgames.ru or whatever other launchers/game stores/sites ?

We'd sure look like idiots if a single game ever didn't have an in-depth selection of curated tips.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Finished a small and fun puzzle game with some light platforming & metroidvania aspects: Backworlds

- You don't need to finish each puzzle to finish the game / make progress, if something's not clicking there's nothing stopping you from moving on (after the short and pretty straightforward intro/tutorial)

- The story is extremely minimal / light. Don't push through the puzzle gameplay of you're not enjoying it - there is only more puzzle gameplay

- The white / colourless puzzles are end-game content

- After the introduction there are no hints / instructions (or they are very minimal & environmental). The community isn't very active & there's not many good guides or complete walkthroughs, so if you are a compulsive completionist this might not be a game you'll enjoy

- Like many puzzle games, there's a lot of small 'Aha' moment to clear specific puzzles, but they're still fun to solve if you need the initial push from a guide/walkthrough/hint from the community to get over a specific 'Aha' moment

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Fruits of the sea posted:

I haven't tested it, but I would avoid forgetting the thought that assigns your copotype (hobocop, superstar cop, apocalypse cop, etc). The first one to be internalized affects a couple things later in the game although you can still adopt more copotypes to jazz up dialogue.

The political thoughts don't even have to be internalized for you to progress their associated quests, it's probably safe to forget them once they have served their purpose.

I'd add that Disco Elysium is not really a game you should try to 'win'. There's a frankly insane amount of context-specific dialogue, so there almost certainly are specific checks that can only be unlocked with these thoughts, but forgetting them (or never getting them) will not cause a fail state.

My position is: go with what feels right, internalise and forget thoughts that match how you want to play, and keep metagaming for a second or third playthrough.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Any tips for the Zero Escape games?

Also, is there a recommended order for these games?
(I understand that AI: the somnium files is a separate stand-alone game which doesn't matter much if you play it before or after the Zero Escape series...)

Shazback fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 4, 2023

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Great, I'll dive in with 999 then!

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Gotta say, finished 999 & it's enjoyable even though some parts are a slog...

Few comments things for others to consider from my point of view for Zero Escape: 9 hours, 9 persons, 9 doors (999):

• It's not really a puzzle game, it's a visual novel. The puzzles these games have are relatively easy & serve more as a "break" in the story than as the core of the game.
  • After your first play through, there is a skip toggle which will move past parts of the story you have already seen/read a lot faster.
  • In the "flow" menu (down arrow on keyboard, check your button layout) you can skip to the chapter, puzzle or decision you want to replay / change without going through the whole story.
  • The flow menu will highlight the "current" path the game considers you're on with a blue line, including past choices.
  • If you're attempting to finish the game without a guide & see all the endings, the flow menu has some key & lock icons that are colour-coded to give you hints on where the choices /events / actions / puzzles of interest are.

I'm continuing with VLR, the story is nice but there is just waaay too much stuff that's repeated & feels like padding, even though I'm zapping skip as much as possible. It feels a bit less fun without the overlapping path / slightly less direct flow structure of 999. Puzzles are a little bit better, more minigames & the "secrets" in each room are a nice bonus. Haven't tried "easy" mode yet on a room, but from the comments above I'll try it just to get a bit more banter with the characters.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Yakuza is for the original game, the first in the series, not it's remake (Yakuza Kiwami)

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
+1 to the majima everywhere fights.
Perhaps I'm bad at the game but despite rarely dying to him, they just took ages, dragged the already slow pace of the game to a standstill and weren't particularly fun. I ended up stopping Yakuza Kiwami when it pushed me into another "surprise" fight with him and I just couldn't find the drive to spend another 10 minutes fighting him.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Is the wiki intended to be for general "game tips" ? My understanding is that it's goal is to help people (1) decide if they want to buy / demo the game; (2) provide some guidance to players early on in the game so they can determine what paths / gameplay options suit them best (3) highlight key QoL, missable paths, dead ends, etc. as a courtesy to people who don't have much playing time to beeline the parts they are most interested in.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Taiji https://store.steampowered.com/app/1141580/Taiji/:
  • The entrance to the mill (dashes) is not to the right/east of the hub area, it's down/south
  • The gallery's ground floor has puzzles which require you to know the rules from the other areas, but other floors have their own rules and can be done whenever

The Forgotten City https://store.steampowered.com/app/874260/The_Forgotten_City/:
  • There are a few areas with combat and (mild) jump scares, if you want to avoid them you can still complete the game: don't take part in the plan to steal the golden bow, and avoid the lower cistern
  • There is no penalty to restarting the loop, and in some cases you can reach a dead end where there is nothing left to do; in these cases don't hesitate to force the golden rule to be applied and reset the loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Can you still get the true ending if you don't do this part? I didn't think you could but might be wrong

I think you can't get the true ending or even some other endings without it - or if you can it would really require some very specific routing / gameplay that I'm not aware of.
But you can get at least one of the endings (not counting game overs / failstates or such).