Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

It's been a while since I've played the main game but have been playing Moon Crash so here are some general tips mixed in with what little I remember of the main game:

-Knowing an enemy weakness helps a lot, Psychoscope scan everything once you get it. This also unlocks better powers and abilities so is worth doing.

-If you don't really care about cheevos, don't be afraid to mix and match human and typhon powers. If you do, don't be afraid to focus on either Typhon or Human stuff, as focusing one will still allow you get everywhere and do everything in the game. There are multiple endings as well!

-Eventually you will find a crafting schematic for Neuromods so you don't have to be afraid of not being able to max something out.

-Keep like at least 5ish food items on hand to heal up in between fights without having to use a medkit. In addition to the small healing the initial bit gives you the Well Fed status gives you some more healing over time. Don't be afraid to just grab one and munch them on the go.

-The Disruptor, while specifically called out as particularly effective vs machines, still stuns and does damage to biological enemies too! It's very strong for stunning phantoms early on so you can beat them to death with a wrench if you want to save resources.

-Any attack is a Sneak Attack is an enemy is unaware when you attack it, not just melee attacks! You can use this to really alpha strike particularly tough enemies down.

Early on the struggle is mostly acquiring enough resources and means to start dealing with enemies effectively. The game will start opening up once you get a few of the more crucial crafting schematics, so have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The game never tells you this, but the Psi Blast's charge upgrade can blast open the collapsed cave entrances in the Questionable Area.

you don't need the charge upgrade, just a few regular blasts will work just fine.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

PRL412 posted:

That page is oddly lacking. A lot of the same tips from the series apply but here goes what I remember:

-Hub quests scale to the number of players in your party. There's three tiers based one player, two players, and four players. This is to say that you're at a disadvantage if you run with three party members, since the game will scale for four.

It's been a while but this should only be true for World, not Rise. Rise has 1, 2, 3, or 4 player scaling.

To add one brief thing to the tips:

-In the Buddy Plaza, walk around the backside of the tree the sealed shrine is in. On the backside are some vines you can climb, and once at the top if you look out to the left you'll see a nest. Visit this nest every few quests and gather from it for free stuff related to training buddies in the buddy plaza.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The few important things are to keep upgrading your armor/weapons and don't feel too super attached, especially with the new cosmetic system. You can look like whatever you want and still keep using better gear, which is great!

If you want to recycle equipment to get the mods out of them, make sure to do it at the equipment upgrade/mod vendor instead of doing it straight from your inventory.

Phone posting at work, I'll try to clean this up a but when I get home.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Morpheus posted:

Wait why is this? I've been doing it from my inventory and have gotten the mods - or is there another reason?

I dunno if it's just a bug or what but I find doing it from my inventory I miss out of the mods being saved in my library sometimes. Was mostly noticeable with legendary mods, which are well worth not losing. It's more anecdotal than anything solid, but I'd rather offer advice on the side of not losing out. :shrug:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

SkeletonHero posted:

Some stuff for Ghostwire: Tokyo that nobody asked for:

I'll add a couple of things to this:

-At a Relic Nekomata you can select a particular relic you want to try and find and hold a button to make active a circle of the general area it is located on the map. I did not learn this till I was almost done with the relic hunt.
-To further touch on feeding Dogs food, if there is a collectable within a certain range of the dog it will lead you to it and bark at it.
-It's not mentioned anywhere but a trophy/steam achievement, but you can headshot visitors with the bow and arrows. It does way more damage even while in combat and is pretty legit for taking out specific visitor types.
-There is a set total amount of max HP from eating food so don't sweat it or try to grind it out, you'll hit it eventually.
-With the summon tengu unlocked you can also grapple mid-glide as long as you keep aim held down and look towards roof edges till you see a tengu appear.

-Even if you don't want to 100% everything, definitely find all the Tanuki. The reward is well well worth it.

The game is very good, and honestly has the most satisfying and easy to accomplish collectathon I've ever seen in a game.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 17, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

bare bottom pancakes posted:

My partner and I are going to okay EDF5 splitscreen. Anything we should know? I checked the wiki and the advice for 4.1 seemed pretty specific for 4.1.

-Try out the co-op weapons at least once (usually a Fencer missile launcher of some kind that needs a target painter from an Air Raider to work) for some fun, inefficient hilarity.

-Fencer melee weapons are actually surprisingly effective, don't be scared off trying them as both the tankiest class and 2nd most mobile. The shields are also very effective and most are capable of "reloading" once their charges depleted which isn't super obvious.

-Weapons that cause explosions are both hilarious and also incredibly easy to friendly fire your partner with. They also cause ragdolling generally. Use this info as you see fit.

-It's not totally necessary but highly recommend having at least one Fencer or Wing Diver in play to collect armor and weapon boxes in any given mission.

- Don't let Ranger and Air Raider early weapons throw you off, they get some absolutely insane poo poo later along side Fencer and Wing Diver's already cool stuff.

- EDF! EDF! EDF!!!

- If you've never played an EDF game before don't let the difficulty levels fool you, you're supposed to play through on Normal before trying Hard. If you know what you're doing you can absolutely snag some high level weapons from a harder difficulty, but this will generally bust the difficulty curve or depending on the level you might not even be able to use them on a lower difficulty.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

owl_pellet posted:

Any tips for The Ascent?

Sure, just some basic stuff:

-I personally recommend investing in one color type of stats, while splashing some points into health and energy as you feel you need them. Try to compliment the stat color you invest in with the same color active powers, as those powers get bonuses the more points you have in that stat color category.

-The early game weapons are all pretty basic but you start getting some fun stuff mid-game. Don't be afraid to do a little upgrading to early weapons you find comfy but if you really want to slam upgrades into a bunch of early stuff be aware you will have to a little out of your way to grind a tiny bit when you find another weapon you really like later on. Heavily upgrading also lets you bust the difficulty curve a bit if you're struggling.

-Explore! Do side missions! There's a whole lot of cool poo poo and awesome areas that the story never really takes you too, the only thing limiting to you is the level of the enemies they stick in certain places. There's some hidden active powers, passive augments, skill points, upgrade materials and cyberdeck upgrades you wouldn't find otherwise if you don't explore or do side missions.

-The Cyberdeck is surprisingly more important than it appears at first glance. You'll find upgrades just following the story but as mentioned in the point above if you want to fully upgrade it you'll need to do side missions and explore. You can always backtrack to pick up stuff from ICE locks you couldn't bust before so don't worry about missing out on anything. If you ever feel like you're struggling with a particular enemy for no discernable reason, try decking them.

-Damage types and enemy weaknesses, are in fact, important. However you probably won't notice till the last third of the game if you've slammed upgrades in one weapon and overpowered the curve. If you feel like you're struggling to kill an enemy type despite having a near maxed out weapon, try a gun with a different damage type even if it hasn't been upgraded at all.

The Ascent is a gorgeous cyberpunk experience with gameplay that's pretty solid fun. Enjoy!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Vidaeus posted:

In Dying Light 2, is it safe to sell everything under Valuables? Nothing I need to keep for some random side quest?

You don't need to worry and can sell every valuable you find.

There is an exception, but that particular valuable is acquired as part of the quest and it's honestly kind of obvious that you should save it. It is however not at all necessary mechanically to save it, so don't worry if you accidentally do.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Yeah just sell poo poo you don't use

edit: just gonna add also buy literally every material part you can, but especially Scrap parts. You are gonna go through so much scrap.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 5, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Taeke posted:

Anything for Grounded? I started playing it yesterday and I feel like I've got a good start. Made a base at the mysterious machine and working on a second one near the hedge. Got myself a bow and a full set of red ant armor, which allowed me to get the materials to upgrade my gear a bit since the ants now think I'm one of them but I'm still getting wrecked by stuff. I can take on ants and larva and stuff fine as long as there's not too many and I feel like the next step would be stinkbugs and msoquitoes but they just destroy me. I'm staying far away from spiders because I think that's late game stuff.

I feel like the game is pushing to go to the hedge but there's a bunch of bombardier beetles and spiders and I'm hitting a wall in my progression. It's either that or explore the toxic areas but for that I need to kill a stinkbug which I can't yet.

A few quick tips:

-Practice blocking. No, not perfect blocks aka parrying, blocking. Make yourself a Weevil Shield and just get used to stopping your attacks when you see a wind up from a bug and holding your shield up. You take way, way less damage, and it'll also start getting you used to parrying eventually as you'll occasionally hit one that'll teach you the timings slowly.

-Get in the habit of exhausting your stamina completely when running around. Not sure if you've run into any yet but there's a Mutation for doing specific actions, and the stamina related one is probably the longest term and most tedious to do, the requirements to even get it being exhaust your stamina bar 100 times.

-As mentioned in the above post the Hedge is the best place to go after the Oak Lab, but the important thing is breaking spider egg sacs when you're up in the branches. They contain a random bug part (along with some spider babies and web), and those random bug parts include both bombardier AND stink bug parts. Highly recommend collecting enough stink bug parts for the tier 2 Hammer, getting that is a big upgrade for a couple of important reasons.

-While in the Hedge also know you can use arrows to knock down berries while you're on the ground so you can collect them easy. Make sure to grab some stacks of them as you'll need a lot of it for tier 2 stuff.

-Hang out by the Red Ant Hill with your ant armor during the day, or try luring a lady bug over actively. Red ants are your friends!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

You can't repair weapons directly, but higher rarity weapons get mod slots and once you can craft those anytime you mod a weapon it'll fully repair it.

Tbh though you'll keep finding new and better stuff so just grab the highest rarity stuff you can find and mod it occasionally unless you find a much better weapons

As for enemy health, I didn't personally notice a difference solo vs. co-op, the important thing is to just stay on top of gear upgrades, a portion of which you may not have encountered the ability to even upgrade yet.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Pierzak posted:

Anything for Atom RPG? Looks real close to the original Fallout in mechanics, but I'd rather not realize halfway down the game I've made an unworkable character.

Short answer: don't play it. If you really must see it, read the LP a goon did of it relatively recently.

Long answer: Quoted from the goon who LP'd it: "How do you feel about Redlettermedia pizzagate, antisemitism, and incest bunker quests? Its almost interesting but you have to wade through some real loving vile garbage."

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

thebardyspoon posted:

Is there anything we should know for Barotrauma? We've played it a fair bit as a group but we're a bit unsure if we're doing stuff utterly wrong. Like our ship doctor, he uses his healing stuff straight away when someone gets injured even minorly (like burns or broken bones if we crash or something where you get the icon showing you have the injury but our actual health hasn't gone down much at all) and then wants to spend loads of our reward money for doing missions on replacement healing stuff, we're not sure if he's just being a bit too trigger happy with it or not. My instinct is people can survive with a bit of damage on them for awhile and you should probably only use the materials when it's starting to get bad or if they're bleeding out and properly going to die.

Similarly with the coilgun ammo and weapons in general, when stuff gets on the ship, it seems like harpoons or diving knifes do about as well as the more traditional guns but I would guess that might change with more dangerous monsters maybe? We found the coilgun ammo we started with lasted us absolutely ages, we thought it might be bugged or just infinite and then we ran out and had to buy some more but any subsequent crates we've bought, we've gone through them a lot quicker than the first lot while encountering about the same amount of monsters it feels.

It just feels like we're treading water a bit, we do missions that make us 2000 and then buying or making coilgun ammo, welding fuel, medical stuff, etc to replace what we've used costs us a decent amount of what we've just earned. It might be we've just kinda seen the loop of the game and it is just grinding a bit now to unlock some more mission types cause there's loads we haven't seen at all.

Love me some Barotrauma, lemme type out some thoughts. Also having learned the game as a medical doctor job lol yeah they're being way too aggressive with medical healing. Thoughts in no particular order:

-Any injuries under aprox. 20% are not worth wasting medical supplies on, with the exception of bleeding ("minor bleeding" is fine to ignore), poisons, and husk infection which you should always try to clear asap. Anything less than 20% should be treated by fruit juice (pomegrenade extract, you can set up a botany room and grow the fruit on the sub) or via lying in a bed (veeeerry slowly heals injuries over time). At outposts and cities you can also spend a fairly minor amount of money to top people's health off at the medical doctor vendor.

-supplies wise you should be keeping an eye out for minerals and plants mid-mission. I'm not familiar with all the vanilla subs but some should come equipped with a mineral scanner, and you should absolutely be stopping and sending people out to harvest them with plasma cutters. Very very early you might tread water a bit but you really shouldn't be spending most of your money on basic things like welding fuel etc.

-this is more an RP choice vs minmax choice, but you can also pretty easily rob blind any outpost or city you visit, whether it be of medical supplies, clothing to turn I to organic fiber, or diving suits to turn into titanium/aluminium alloy and rubber. As long as there is no NPC in a room you're looting, you can freely yoink whatever you want. Two people working together makes it easier, as one person can grab and walk NPCs out of a room if they're standing up, wait till the door is closed and then loot goblin it up. This is a thing you'll have to decide with your crew though.

-conversely once you make it to the second biome (assuming y'all are playing the campaign), you'll start finding/getting missions for wrecks which you absolutely should strip relatively clean. Or if you end up fighting pirates/enemy subs that's even better loot. Just uh, try not to approach wrecks from directly or diagonally above. Or do, I'm not your captain.

-Guns, once you get access to things that aren't just SMGs and revolvers, are far and away the better choice if you have the resources to support it. The harpoon gun is great because you can re-use the ammo of course which can be great for long away trips. There will be things later that require you to have better weaponry when you do out of sub-ventures.

-If you still feel like you're struggling, in the campaign options turn the amount of missions you can take up from 1 to 2, or even 3. They may not always be in the same direction but being able to take on multiple can really help get your economy going. It also makes it more exciting! Multiple swarm kill missions, or a swarm + big monster? Gotta find and retrieve an alien artifact that causes fires while transporting a VIP to the next station over? What could wrong!

Most of all, have fun dying horribly! Europa is a terrible place and we love it.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Morpheus posted:

Huh, I had thought Barotrauma was just a sort of mission-based (as in, choose a mission from a menu, the map is generated, and when you finish, you're booted to the menu with some money), but there's progression and a larger world that you can do multiple things in?

It's officially in 1.0 as of last month-ish, and the campaign has been in for a long while now. They added a proper ending and a bunch of fun story bits and story missions based on factions with 1.0. There's also actual character class progression in the campaign by way of leveling up and talents trees outside of just increasing your various skills, and multiple "builds" for each class.

Absolutely much better to play with a group, but doable singleplayer.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

egg tats posted:

I'm still early in Remnant 2, but there's 2 things that are nice to know before you start:

• Mudtooth has got a lot of stories for you, you should take a few minutes to listen to him
  • You can't start co op until after you've been through the tutorial and touched the crystal. If you don't skip cutscenes and talk to everyone that's around 50 minutes
  • This game is a direct sequel to Remnant:From the Ashes but you're not expected to remember everything going into this one.
  • The vendors around ward 13 will sell items for 1500 scrap, these can be crafted into items that let you equip one of the other starting classes
  • There's no reason not to equip a second class. Only your first class gets xp but you get all the bonuses from the secondary class
  • Since the game world can be regenerated and played through again whenever you want, there's no limited resources. You can also buy respec items from one of the ward 13 vendors. Don't stress too much about where you put your points.

The point about "Only the first archetype (class) gets XP" is incorrect. If you have one archetype equipped it gets full XP. If you have two archetypes equipped they split any exp in half and each get half. If you have one fully leveled archetype equipped and equip a second archetype that needs to be leveled, the second unleveled archetype gets full XP.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Catzilla posted:

Does anyone have any specific tips for Aliens: Fireteam Elite? I picked it up in the Steam sale along with the expansion to play with some friends in our regular game session.
Is there a good class to start with?
Thanks

Sure! I do recommend starting on Normal Difficulty, beating the base campaign doing so unlocks another class and the scaling is tuned for leveling the classes. If your group is competent enough at shooters you find the difficulty a bit too easy and want a taste of Hard difficulty without actually playing it yet, you can turn off the xenomorph's being highlighted when you ADS in your settings menu. This is off by default on Hard+. It makes the game feel entirely different.

As of the last time I played, Challenge cards can be played by all three players in a squad but only one card will be selected to affect the mission. You can either co-operate to get the best bonus, or each throw up something you think would be funny to see what goofy poo poo you'll need to put up with. Some of the challenge cards are kinda silly.

If anyone chooses Medic as their class, note that anyone in the squad picking up a medkit will refill the field station's charges not just the medic.

Most of the weapons at least have a niche, but some are just gonna feel better than others. That said don't worry too much about potentially wasting money on a new weapon that might be a disappointment, you will also be unlocking weapons via completing the campaign. There are unlocks for Normal and Hard if you want an excuse play the game again.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Catzilla posted:

Thanks for the Aliens tips. The smart gun is hilariously op and I get twice the kills as my friends!

the flamethrower is loving awesome when you finally get it. Be careful of friendly fire though, even after the devs finally fixed the frankly absurd amount of FF it did it's still very easy to kill your friends with it lol.