Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Jagtpanther posted:

REQUEST: Infinite Undiscovery
I managed to muscle through Lost Odyssey's pitiless child drama, but as soon as I got control of Capell in IU the first thing I come across are a pair of cute blue eyed babbys - is it worth struggling through? If so, what are some general pointers?

Infinite Undiscovery
-If you ever cannot find the last of some "Event" item that you need to progress, use the song on your flute that unveils hidden areas and walk around the borders of the map. They hide poo poo like this a lot.

-If, at any time, you are stuck as to the next plot point, you need to think very simplistically. The game has a very unintuitive way of progressing the plot at times. Looking for a lost boy before you can move on? Don't look for him, silly! Talk to everyone multiple times until they finally tell you exactly where he is. Added to that, some events require you to talk to a specific person multiple times in order to spawn something needed for the event.

-The end of Disc 1 is the best part of the game. Grin and bear through the rest.

-If you are solely playing the game in hopes that the story will pan out and become good, I'd recommend just ditching it. Most of the fun comes in the gameplay.

-When you get to the port town, there is a glitch that will allow you to make absurd amounts of money. All it requires is that you buy 4 bronze (400 coins) and then craft Bronze Scale Grieves. Then use these Grieves and create Bronze Plate Grieves. You can sell these to the local NPC for 4,000 coins. Lather, rinse, repeat. Once you progress the story to leave the village, however, you can't do it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I recently picked up a NOMAD, which is a blessing for the flights between my university and back home. I decided to christen it with Shadowrun (for the Genesis, obviously), but within twenty minutes I was fed up and frustrated. It seems like every random person on the street would attack me, and retaliating left me with too little ammo, or excessive damage. I definitely need some tips for what to keep in mind when I try this out on my flight home for Thanksgiving.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I just got Alien Trilogy and Mystaria for the Sega Saturn. Anything special I should know before I dive into them? It seems like Alien Trilogy gives you an objective complete % at the end of every level, is this just akin to how much I've explored or does it actually relate to the objectives they give me each level? Is there a benefit to getting 100% on every level?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Secret Ooze posted:

I just picked up Earth Defense Force 2017 for $3 at a garage sale today, and you guys have given some awesome tips for everything so far.

While you can skip the "Easy" difficulty, the game is meant to be played in multiple playthroughs. You progressively get better weapons as you beat more levels, and even the earlier levels on the higher difficulties are impossible without weapons that dropped from the last levels of the easier difficulties. I'd recommend you start at the second difficulty and move forward from there.

The game gets about 600 times better if you include a friend. It goes from a mediocre budget title to a hilariously awesome B-Movie co-op game.

Go into the options and turn off the setting that automatically adjusts the camera or whatever. I can't remember the exact wording of it. It makes it so that during cutscenes you don't lose control of your character. This is good because, even though the game zooms in on a space ship or something, you are still getting your poo poo wrecked by giant bugs.

When you invade the Ant Nests underground, the Bounding Gun weapons are very, very good to use.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Nerd Watch posted:

1. I've heard lots of grumbling about the scaled leveling in this game. Is it truly possible to gently caress myself if I go about leveling the wrong way, or is this just typical nerd rage hyperbole?
It is a little of both, to be honest. You can make the game significantly harder for yourself on accident, but to be honest, I didn't pay any attention to the level scaling system when I played through the game and I was fine. The main trouble comes from the fact that NPC allies do not also scale with you. This is only a problem in 2-3 encounters in the game, where you are facing hordes of demons and you have NPC Knights as backup. If you dick around and level up a lot before doing these events, the Demons will be much stronger than intended, but the Knights will still be low leveled. Meaning they'll die quickly and leave you with no backup. Is it a huge deal? Not really, it's more of an annoyance than anything else.

If you want to be really sure you don't gently caress yourself over, don't choose extremely common skills as your main skills. If you choose acrobatics, athleticism, armor, slashing or skills that you otherwise use all the time you will level up quickly and make it easier to pidgeon-hole yourself with the level scaling. You might also consider just doing the main quest first and getting it out of the way, as it isn't that long and the world is still fully explorable afterwards.

Nerd Watch posted:

2. Is there a best race for a character wanting to focus on blades, bows and recovery magic? The manual made Dark Elves sound most suited to this, but after playing an rear end in a top hat in most RPGs as of late, I was wanting to play a good character this time, and a good Dark Elf seems odd.
My first character was a Dark Elf, and she was about as Lawful Good as you can get. I had to play the mini-game to raise my faction with people sometimes, but that is about it. I don't know the ins and outs of the race system, but I wouldn't worry very much about it.

Nerd Watch posted:

3. Since I already have Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine, are any of the other DLCs worthwhile, or are they all garbage? I have a few hundred extra points laying around that I was thinking of using if they weren't all on the same level as horse armor.
Those are the two best DLC packs. All of the other ones are entertaining (except Horse Armor, but I even bought that) but don't add as much content as the two you already have. Most of the other DLC packs add in mini-dungeons or outposts that you can turn around into some sort of ultra-citadel for your hero that can honestly kind of break the fun of the game if you farm enough gold to fully upgrade them.

Also, there is a character named Umbra in some ruins along the coast not far from the Imperial City. She is a bitch and super strong, but if you can manage to cheese her and defeat her then you get her sword, also named Umbra. I don't know the specifics on how the stats are determined for it, but when I killed her it was super-light and had a Godly 21 damage (I never ended up replacing it). When I told my roommate about it, he tried it and got a lovely 8 damage sword that wasn't very good. He was using the PC version, though, so I don't know if that counts for anything.

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 4, 2009

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

dylan14 posted:

What should i know before i play Shin Megami Tensei:Nocturne ?

I can't give you any specific advice, but you might get better answers if you ask specifically in the Atlus Games Thread.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I just bought Way of the Samurai 3. It's my first time playing a game in this series and so far it seems...overwhelming. I need some tips on what to do my first (couple?) playthrough so that I can feel like I am accomplishing something. So far I've just been running around and using it like a Samurai-themed GTA to kill people and get better swords.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I don't know if it has been fixed on the PC, but this has NOT been fixed on the console version of Dragon Age: Origins:

Attack damage via daggers is mainly governed by dexterity (with a small amount coming from strength), and as such daggers are meant to grant 50% Dexterity bonus and 50% strength bonus. There is a bug in the vanilla game, though, that makes it so daggers grant 100% strength bonus and no dexterity bonus. This will only really effect you if you roll a dual wielding dagger rogue. You'll be fine for most of the game, but towards the end you'll notice your damage cap and start to fall off drastically, sufficiently gimping your DPS rogue.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Capsaicin posted:

Any information on Megaman X through X6? Gonna work through them.

You owe it to yourself to unlock Ryu's Hadouken in Megaman X.

Along the same lines, unlock Ryu's Shouryuken in Megaman X2.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I'm going through Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne for the first time, and the lists that are already posted up on the wiki are extremely helpful. I'm planning on making a Physical based character (after seeing the ridiculous end-game physical attacks you get in the Persona series), but am I going to be totally gimped if I dump most of my stat upgrades into just Strength and Vitality? Should I spread them out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I've always stumbled through D&D games before but have never really understood the system. Can anyone give me a primer on how to Win Loot and Impress Women in Neverwinter Nights 2 (complete edition)?