Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Centipeed posted:

Edit: Whilst I'm here, is there anything I can do (Already part way in) to give myself a big advantage in Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria? I'm already over levelled (And I don't mind the negative impact that has on learning skills). I'm just wondering if there's anything else I can do that'll give me a boost.
I haven't beaten it, but there are a few things I do know...
· Don't give stat-boosting items to Lezard or Dylan.
· The first time you visit Dipan is the only time you'll ever visit Dipan, so any items or side quests you want to do there have to be done then.

Zvahl posted:

Also, you shouldn't really ever send dudes to Valhalla. You hardly get anything worthwhile at all from them in the real world, and you get much better rewards if you don't do it until the very end of the game.
I initially misread that last post as Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, and I was going to point out how this couldn't be right. My bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Salt Block Party posted:

Alright gently caress that then. Can you get through the game having a somewhat enjoyable time without using gamefaqs?
You'll miss a gently caress of a lot, but I'm fairly sure it's possible. There may be a couple of missions where it's nowhere in the realm of obvious what to do next, but that's the only thing I can think of.

EDIT: Even though I used a guide for some parts, I put extremely little effort into forging and breeding and I was fine. It has New Game+ anyway, so it's no big deal.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 13, 2009

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

french lies posted:

Finally gotten around to playing Valkyria Chronicles, any tips? I've never played an SRPG before so it would be much appreciated.
I haven't gotten very far in, but this has helped me...
· The main thing is to pay attention in the tutorials. It takes a little effort at first to understand the individual units and their functions, but once you build a rhythm for it it pays off. Especially watch the snipers and the engineers; a lot of the snipers die easily and the engineers are the most technical of the units.
· Also, don't hinge your entire strategy on having a tank on the field. There's a lot the tank can accomplish, but you can't plow through the battles with it. Basically, don't trick yourself into thinking the game's Disgaea and the tank is Laharl.

EDIT: Other advice from earlier in the thread...

blackguy32 posted:

For Valkyria Chronicles

1)Try to get your soldiers to level 11 as soon as possible, since you get elite status. Level up your scouts first so they get rifle grenades, then do your shocktroopers and then your snipers.

2)Abusing orders makes some sections of the game piss easy.

3)Always take Rosie, Largo, and Alicia since they give you extra CP to use.

4)Take as few members into a mission as possible. Don't bring in additional units til you capture a field camp. You don't want to bring in a Sniper at the beginning of a mission and find that he is lagging behind everyone else due to their low AP.

5)Chapter 7 will test you, but its not that difficult. Make sure that you keep your units away from the upper right corner of the map (I think that's it)

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 25, 2009

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Since my translation has obsolesced in the face of the official one, here's what I have for Revelations: Persona, in the original Japanese, for PSX. Most of this should be transferable to the PSP Persona game.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona (PSX)
· As with other SMT games, strength/weakness is EVERYTHING in battle. Even a level 99 character will only do piddly damage against a Level 40 enemy if s/he doesn't have the right tools.
· The dungeons look like Peano curves approaching their limit, and are about as long. There are also random battles with a very, very high encounter rate. If you hate dungeon crawling, this isn't the game for you.
· As soon as you get past the level of an enemy, try to get its Spell Card. This is how you get more Personas, and just having the Spell Card will allow you to get rid of the enemy in any subsequent battle.
To get a Spell Card, do everything you can to max the enemy's Interest. This is really just finding one command that piques the enemy's interest and hitting it repeatedly.
· As soon as you enter the gingerbread house, conversation choices you make will affect the ending, and you can potentially lock out the good ending and only find out hours later. Go read HLaPierre's FAQ for more information.
· On the sixth floor of Deva Yuga is a light puzzle. You want to have all the red floor lights match up with the ceiling lights. You'll know you're done if you hear a beep.
The trick is to backtrack a lot.
· Beating a boss does not necessarily mean the end of a dungeon. Have fun backtracking.
The mall dungeon is the longest dungeon I've ever been through in my life, and you have to do it twice in succession because the boss is a bitch. Deva Yuga is the second longest. At the end you have to fight one of the hardest bosses in the game, and then backtrack about halfway through.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Hmm, well, thanks for dispelling any curiosity I had about that game. Now I know I can safely ignore it. Is Persona 2 any better? (the one in english, of course)
Both are. Innnocent Sin got fan-translated twice, once in a follow-along translation and again recently in translation hack/ISO form. Both games are absolutely stunningly awesome, especially taken as a pair. Again, weakness is everything and there are a lot of random battles, but the dungeons aren't nearly as Sisyphean or claustrophobic feeling.

I should point out, though, that the PSP port did boast "revised" dungeons. I'll play that again and see if what I said about the dungeons in particular is transferable to the PSP "remake." It also mentioned a rebalanced battle system. Again, I'll play into the game and see if what I said still holds.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

GeneralFai posted:

Some people act like turdfaces when someone suggests that a poster "read the guide" in this thread, but I think it's appropriate sometimes.
Eh, I'm the OP and I think it's good to say it, just because there are some games that I think are functionally pointless to play without a guide, like the Suikoden games or those infamous early Sierra adventure games so notorious for their potential for self-fuckery. Maybe a good compromise is to just say "Use a guide for x," since I think in almost every game that "requires" a guide the vast majority of the content still doesn't.

I just updated the OP (which I don't think anyone reads anymore, since every game I listed got re-asked, but c'est la vie) with the Wiki link.

While I'm here, there are two areas in the game where I got snagged, so I thought I'd save others the trouble by posting both here.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (DX)
· To find BowWow, go up two screens from the point just outside the forest with the Piece of Heart surrounded by holes.
· To find the golden leaves, you need to talk to the monkey, who is two screens to the right of the castle drawbridge.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I haven't beat it, but this is the kind of game where you know exactly what's going to go down if you keep going.

Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland
· Rupees are everything in this game. Life, currency, unlockers of information and even getting the time of day from NPCs.
· Almost everything in this game is sold at an unspecified price. This means you have two options. Either write down a working price or the best price you've found, or play one guessing game after another spanning the whole entire game.
· Unless stated otherwise, if you make a bad offer, the NPC keeps your money and it doesn't count towards buying the item, meaning that that bad guess means you flushed that many rupees down the toilet. The exceptions to this are the entry fees for dungeons and when an NPC tells you otherwise.
· As soon as possible, you should always have a bodyguard.
· Seriously, do not buy or play this game if you don't like guessing games.

I've been considering writing an FAQ for this game detailing exactly what costs what, although I'm not sure I feel like spending x months out of my life on such a project. Ah well.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

m2pt5 posted:

I can't find it at the moment, but I swear I've seen a chart of the exact minimum best price for everything in this game. (e: Because you have to specify some rewards as well.)

Edit: Here's one.
Found it. gently caress it, my rear end is cheating.

EDIT: I like yours better; thanks.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

So I was thinking of compiling a list of games with no ending(s). This would apply to non-arcade games with a linear progression (Mario Paint, Tetris, not so much). This has basically come from me noticing that there more of these than I'd have thought. In old NES games, I've noticed this in T&C Surf Designs, Donkey Kong 3, and Balloon Fight. Tingle's Balloon Fight for DS also has no ending. There's also Mega Man Soccer and King of Fighters XII. Should I try to incorporate this into the Wiki or make this a separate thread?

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 8, 2009

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I just started Beneath a Steel Sky, and I have mad respect for whoever made this game legally free. Anything I should pick up? I suck at point-and-clickers, so any advice would be good.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Capsaicin posted:

Any tips for Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth? I consider myself pretty good at games, so I'm wondering if I should play on the higher difficulty so I can use more items and see more things. This game is the remake of the original Valkyrie Profile, right? Is the "prologue" option on the main menu anything? I got this without an instruction booklet, so I'm pretty much going into it blind.
The prologue is just a cinema scene that sets up the story. There's a plot twist in the story that's patently obvious if you watch the prologue, but I still thought it was pretty cool.

If you want to see the game's best ending, you need a guide. It depends so much on esoteric poo poo and variables you can't even see that it's basically a necessity. What I recommend is to play the game blind on Medium, get Ending B, then play it on Hard, use a guide, and get Ending A. I've been disagreed with on this before, but I really think that's the way to get the most possible out of the game. The content on Medium isn't a subset of the content on Hard, so you won't see everything on either.

If you're only going to play it once, though, and you want the best ending, play it on Hard. In some ways it's actually the easiest setting because it has the best items, but it's still exhilarating enough to be fun.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Dr Snofeld posted:

I have MGS Portable Ops on the way from Amazon. Assuming I'm fluent with MGS games (especially Snake Eater) what do I need to know about this specific game?
A lot of the gameplay carries over, but a lot of the GUI doesn't. The mini-map is probably the biggest difference between the two games, and it took me the most getting used to. Expect Portable Ops to drag a bit; the RPG aspects and the other characters being largely less fun to play as than Snake slow the game down a lot.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

When I was considering making this into a full-fledged website like the original JumptheShark.com, I thought about categorizing each bullet point, e.g. icons for things that could render the game unwinnable, missable items/quests/characters, recommendations to make the game easier, explanations of how the game works (like for God Hand or Unlimited Saga), and so on. That may be something to consider adding to the Wiki.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Centipeed posted:

http://wsik.centipeed.com/index.php/Site/VagrantStory

I'm starting to assume that people don't check the wiki before they ask for tips. I can't blame them, I guess, since there's not much we can do for its exposure, except what I'm doing right now of course.

CloseFriend: Would you mind changing the link in the OP to wsik.centipeed.com instead of what it is right now? If you link to the subdomain rather than the subfolder, it doesn't mess up my visitor stats as much.
Done and done. Thanks for all your work on this, by the way. Those icons are awesome; sorry I forgot to thank you for that earlier.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I just got Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment off the PSN. I have the first two games but I keep not getting around to playing them. I know it's a prequel, but will it really hurt me not to have played the first two games before getting into this one? Where does series continuity rank between games in this series on a scale from Alundra to Xenosaga?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Capsaicin posted:

Breath of Fire 4, anyone?
· Do not open any chests as Fou Lu.
· Almost every monster in the game has an ability that you can get by Defending and waiting for it to hit. Unlike III, Defense and Examine are rolled into one command, so if you want an ability, Defend your rear end off and wait to get hit by it.
· The combo system is worth learning. You won't regularly bust out anything near the 70-hit monster combo without a guide and completing several Masters (Celerity + Vitality + Vitality, if you're curious), but it gives you an extra little nudge of damage.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Capsaicin posted:

I've only gotten to the first city, and I think I may have opened one chest as Fou-Lu. Is it worth it to go back and restart the game?
It's not that extreme. It's just that you'll be going there again as Ryu and the chest won't be available. It's more of an inconvenience, really.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I've been thinking of taking on Final Fantasy II for the PSP. I've played both Dawn of Souls and the original NES game, so I know for the most part what I'm getting into. But I heard the changes made to the PSP version actually gently caress over people playing it conventionally. How should I play the game so I can get through it with a minimum of getting hosed over or bored grinding?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I just updated the OP with the current Wiki link. Sorry I didn't catch it sooner.

Also while I'm here… Anyone want to help me with Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines or really any of the series?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I just started playing Gungnir. I didn't see anything on the Wiki about it and I know Dept. Heaven games are usually pretty loving out-there with their gameplay. (It's why I love them so!) Anything special I should prepare for?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Centipeed posted:

Still, while categorising the tips on every page is a nice idea, I don't think I'll ever get around to actually implementing it. There's hundreds of pages on the wiki now, and I haven't played nearly enough of those games to be able to reliably categorise them anyway.
I don't see any point in changing anything. It's not broke and it doesn't need fixing. Hell, I just feel honored that you made a wiki based on a thread that I created. Thanks for all the work you've done!

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I want as many people to play this amazing game as possible now that it has an HD release, so here, have some unsolicited NiGHTS into Dreams tips…
· Start with Claris. She has easier levels.
· You will feel disoriented at first. Nights moves along 2D paths on the 3D landscape. Despite its appearance, the game really has mostly 2.5D gameplay.
· At the very start of the level, before jumping into the palace to play as Nights, see if you can catch some Blue Chips as the kid. A few can boost your score quite a bit.
· The key to getting a high score lies with Links. Try to get as many of your actions to take place in short succession as possible. The real challenge of this game lies with the path-finding. After practicing it yourself, you may find it helpful to YouTube some other players doing it.
· After you bust open the Ideya Capture for your lap, don't go back inside the palace and finish the level. Keep going! You want to put in as many laps as possible before the timer hits zero. Conversely, whatever you do, get back before the time actually does hit zero. You'll lose a lot of your grade if you don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Herobotic posted:

Anything in particular for Chrono Cross, which I meant to start when it came out on PSN, and now instead will play on my Vita.
· It's impossible to get everyone on the first playthrough, so don't worry about it.
· Your characters only gain levels when they beat bosses. Grinding gives tiny stat increases, but not enough to make it worthwhile to go out of your way.
· Running away has a 100% success rate—even on bosses—so don't be afraid to bail.