Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinister Dexter
Oct 1, 2002

When you wear a shirt like this, you don't need pants!
Here's a couple more for Fallout and Fallout 2 that I didn't see listed yet:

- Don't destroy the eggs in the Deathclaw lair in the original Fallout until you're sure that you're done grinding, or you hit level 50. You get tons of XP from Deathclaws, and if you don't smash the eggs, you can leave the area, go right back, and they'll have re-spawned.

- Save all of the skill-raising books you find and don't use them until later in the game, unless you're sure that you won't ever be putting any points into the skill that they raise. They boost skills by the same number regardless of your current skill level, so you'll be glad you held onto them when those skills get tougher to increase. (Ignore this. I'm an idiot.)

- Some accomplishments require minimum levels in one or more of your core attributes. If yours aren't high enough, use the appropriate drug(s) from your stash to boost them temporarily and try again.

- Once you've played through all (or even a good portion) of the game, start a new game and create a character with an INT score of 3 (or less). Play.

The first of those applies to Fallout 1. The others might apply to both 1 and 2, but I'm not sure. It's been a long time since I've played either one.

Sinister Dexter fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 14, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinister Dexter
Oct 1, 2002

When you wear a shirt like this, you don't need pants!

The Capm posted:

This is not quite true. There is a max value that skills can be raised by books. I'm not sure what it is though.

Scalding Coffee posted:

The books raise your skills more, the lower it is. Have the difficulty set on hard and switch it to easy after that, for a large boost. I think 80-85% is where it increases very little.

Really? drat... I never had any outside confirmation of this whole theory, so maybe I just convinced myself that it worked. I tried it on my second playthrough, and I was pretty sure that it was working, but now that you mention it, I do vaguely remember there being a cap on the maximum skill level where books still had an effect.

All right, I'm retarded. Sorry... :( I should really research this stuff beforehand when I'm posting about games that I haven't played in over a decade.