Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Fallout
  • Tag small guns, tag speech. The last one is up to you, I like steal. Small guns will get you through 90% of the game, start putting points in energy weapons for the big finish. The other combat choices are viable, but extremely difficult for first time players.
  • Steal from everyone, everywhere, all the time.
  • Save all the time, quicksave all the time, have layered saves. Reload if you're caught stealing - ripping off one kid for a rock will turn an entire town against you.
  • As soon as you start the game, go back into the vault. There are some minor quests available in there that will net you some early xp.
  • Always try to alternate methods of solving problems. Not only will talking people into things save your life early on, you'll often get more xp for it than shooting them in the face would have earned you.
  • Try to keep your NPCs alive, but after a certain point their usefulness expires.

Fallout 2
  • All of the above is also true for FO2, except the part about the NPCs. They stay useful throughout the entire game. Or I should say they stay as useful as they ever were, people like Myron and Miria are pointless the whole way through.
  • You sometimes hit encounters that says something like "You come upon Group X fending off Group Y." That's great. Let them wipe each other out, finish off the survivors, profit. Obviously, this doesn't apply to massively unfair encounters like Super Mutants v. Farmers. In that case, run like hell.
  • Don't bother with other weapon skills on your first playthrough. Small Guns will carry you through the entire game.
  • Don't bother spending points on unarmed - if you wait until the last city you can get it up to about 85%, then you can go back to the first city and another area to get it up to around 100 by the time you're done.
  • It's possible to permanently increase your stats in-game. I won't go into how, but you can add 4 to strength, 1 to perception, 1 to charisma, 1 to intelligence, 2 to luck. Keep this in mind during character creation. Max is ten on everything.
  • Use a condom in New Reno, or condoms if you're going after the whole family.

Can someone tell me if Monks are good characters for Baldur's Gate 2? I've never played D&D, I just like kung fu movies. Also, should he punch people barehanded? Finally, what's the button for quickload? I found quicksave but can't find the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

tazman posted:

Yes oh god yes. My 2nd character was a Monk and he COULD NOT DIE. As well as that, he hit for stupid damage a stupid amount of times per round. Super high dex will allow him to save against most reflex attacks (no dmg) and his bare hands get + modifiers as you level. Not to mention stuff like Stunning Fist and Quivering Palm as well. Monks rule. Thing is, you either put 20 levels into Monk or none at all. Do not multi class him, and I also suggest you don't dual class either (never tried it never felt like it).
Thanks for the tip. I had him waving a katana around because the game forced me to pick weapon proficiencies and there didn't seem to be one for barehanded. Once I tossed that he did much better. I've now made it past the first dungeon, which is a first for me when it comes to this game. I'm starting to get a feel for how the magic system works, I think I'll be okay.

prometheusbound posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't dual or multi class monks in BG2. That said, while monks are powerful characters they can get pretty boring pretty fast, since playing them usually amounts to clicking an enemy and watching them die a few seconds later.
I'm okay with it, as long as they die.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

El Negocio posted:

Although Advanced Power Armour is better overall, Tesla Armour, with its 90%/80% Laser/Plasma resistance, is incredibly effective against the Enclave, as the vast majority of them use Energy Weapons.
What? A huge amount of Enclave troopers both on and off the Enclave itself use Gauss pistols or rifles. They'll go through that Tesla armor like it was tinfoil.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

This isn't really a "Before I play" question but this seems to be the closest thing I can find to a general questions thread. I am playing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. I have access to a mission (Borzoi Falling) that requires my clan to have a combat skill of 12. I have a combat skill of 9. How can I improve my combat skill? Is there a good repetitive mission for that?