Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

the truth posted:

Seriously, the first level is the worst part of the entire game. I had it for over a year before I finally forced myself to sit through the first few hours and then I was hooked.

In the last couple of years I've read a lot of posts full of such hate for the first level. I on the other hand, absolutely loved it. I thought it was the best level in the game and I think that if any other level that came later had kicked the game off, I may not have followed through with it the way I did on each additional play-through. Don't get me wrong, I love the entire game, front to back, but there was just something about that level that sucked me in.

I'd like to theorize that it was a mix between unfamiliarity and low skill points that made people dislike it, so if that's the case wouldn't it apply to ANY first level there could have been?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

DeathForce5 posted:

You're right on both counts. It's just exacerbated by the fact that in Deus Ex, when you aren't skilled in, say, pistols, it's impossible to hit anything without sitting out in their field of view for a few seconds, in which time the enemy can easily take you out.

People have been trained all their gaming careers to always move while shooting, but in the earlier Deus Ex levels that's simply not an option unless you want to get up in their face (a no-no on the harder difficulties).

I really enjoyed the early levels because I liked hiding, carefully popping out and shooting a dart into a single guard that was blocking my path, and then returning to my shadowy hiding place until it kicked in. It made my job of sneaking into the statue go from nearly impossible to merely challenging. I found that to be so much more rewarding than having to reload a million times because I missed with the pistol and got mobbed by every guard on the ground level.

It felt so natural - like I really was on my first mission. It made the later missions where I was a lightning fast, building jumping, lightsaber-wielding god of death even more awesome.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Civil posted:

Zelda Phantom Hourglass
- The ocean king temple isn't as bad as everyone wants you to believe. Every time you re-visit it, you have a chance to use new skills to quickly fly through the first few levels.

Even taking full advantage of all the new shortcuts that open up, that temple is still an awful test of patience for most people, myself included.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

EggsofSteel posted:

I've just started Final Fantasy XII thanks to everyone here loving it, and I was wondering if you guys had any tips for it.

For example, are there any party members who get removed halfway through the game and I shouldn't spend LP on? Any other general tips or tricks would be awesome.

There will be temporary party members, but they do not accumulate LP and are not customizable. As far as LP goes, there is an item you can buy about 1/3rd of the way through the game that doubles the amount of LP your characters get from battles. I bought one for each character and long before the end of the game I had enough LP to buy out the entire board (other than weapons/armor I didn't use for that character)

The top half of the board is excellent for magic and buffs that are always on (HP +500, 10% less time to attack, etc) so I would concentrate on those as soon as you have all the Quickenings and the license for the best armor/weapon you have for each character. Quickenings double and then triple your MP, so even if you don't plan on relying on them, buy them first.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Salt Block Party posted:

Figure out the 3 people you want to use in your party and don't bother with anyone else. The equipment tax is pretty high in this game.

While the rest of your post contains fantastic advice, I really disagree with this part. Persona 3 is possibly the most lenient JRPG when it comes to experience points. If a party member is 10 or more levels behind, it will still rarely take more than a few battles to catch them up once you unlock a new block. Equipment is expensive, but I can't think of a time where I didn't have at least the second best available and by the end of the game, you're drowning in money anyway.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Dypsymphuliac posted:

Get Mug as early as possible. Once you get the Magic Lamp (after a certain story event) use it to fight Diablos who will then become one of your GFs. He can be pretty hard, so you might need to grind just a little, but if you can stock up some gravity magic and use it against him it shouldn't be so bad.
There's no need to grind to beat this boss. All you need to do is cast blind on him. He'll have an extraordinarily difficult time killing you when he can't do physical damage. his gravity spells can get you to 1 HP but no lower.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Madmarker posted:

Ultimate Spiderman

It's been a while since I've played this, but I remember, vividly, enjoying the game a lot more once I decided to not do the races against Johnny the loving Human Torch. He's a cheating dick and the speed upgrades he gives for winning are far from essential.

It's a fun, but very short game so enjoy it while it lasts.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Binowru posted:

In Mega Man 2, beat Metal Man first. His weapon can shoot in six different directions, compared to the Mega Buster's pitiful two.

And it's strong against several bosses instead of the usual one. If I remember correctly it also uses almost no energy so you don't have to worry about running out that often.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Spooky Man G posted:

...and expensive as gently caress!

The very idea of doing the chocobo breeding without abuse of the W-Item glitch for the rare greens horrifies me.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Mikan posted:

I bought a PS3 tonight with holiday money and grabbed two games, Valkyria Chronicles and Folklore. Anything I should know about those two?

I also just got Valkyria Chronicles and I'm about 6 or 7 hours in. So far the game has been extremely intuitive and it does a good job of introducing new gameplay elements at a steady pace.

At first I was intimidated by the idea of permanently losing a character, but if anything it's made me remember to save every phase. And 9/10 times I'm able to sneak another character in to call a medic. Scouts are perfect for this and for hit and runs. They have enough action points to sneak in, do an attack, and get safely away.

All in all, if you just take your time and pay attention to the environment and your character's remaining action points, you should be able to develop a strategy that works for you.

And don't forget that your tank can take out certain walls. It's not always mandatory to do it that way, but it makes an early mission go from tedious and long to short and sweet.

The DLC is on sale this week too. I just grabbed all 3 DLC packs for 9 bucks total.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

blackguy32 posted:

In Resident Evil Zero, take the hookshot with you after the train crashes.

If your play style is anything like mine, the lower floor of the lobby is going to be a giant well-organized item box.

RE0, while fun in its own right, is an example of how lack of realism (magic item boxes) is sometimes preferable to realism (backtracking to the crash site from the end game to get an item you thought you were done with) in games.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Nate RFB posted:

Don't enter the house that has the shotgun, and the guy with the chainsaw will never show up. Then just run around killing dudes as you can and eventually after you've killed enough the fight will end.

There's a little hut down a path near a locked exit you can't go through yet. I believe if you double back from the entrance to your immediately right you'll get there. It's the perfect spot to camp and take out the ganados from a distance as they charge down the hill. A few kicks here and there if one gets close and maybe a grenade or two and you should be done.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Dr Snofeld posted:

So it's run to the house, barricade window, grab shotgun, knock down ladder, shoot guys away from other window and jump out of it, right? That or just run around the village until time runs out.

The ruby you get from the shotgun guy is not worth it. You'll be drowning in money by the end of the game if you collect all the treasures marked on the maps. I wouldn't want to fight a chainsaw guy at this point unless you're in new game+ with all your upgraded guns. If you wait to grab the shotgun until after the bell, there won't be a chainsaw guy and you'll still get the shotgun.

The little hut is definitely the most defensible spot in the area.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Scalding Coffee posted:

I only played the PS2 version so I don't know where you are finding all this ammo. I used the knife on almost half the enemies because ammo was so short all the time and upgrading empty magazines would still not be enough.

From what I've gathered from personal experiences and different threads I've read on here, the game gives you as much ammo as you use. If you don't use a lot of ammo, enemies are prone to drop ammo less often.

With the exception of the magnum which has very rare ammo, I always had a ton of extra rounds. Especially 9mm and shotgun.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Random Hajile posted:

Since Intelligence is one of the most important stats (along with Wisdom & Charisma) for getting the most bang out of the story, I always went Wizard as soon as possible. It's available right after you escape from the Mortuary. Look for Old Mebbeth in one of the houses in Ragpicker's Square.

After I played through as a Mage twice, I went back and tried to play as the default Warrior/Fighter build and I was amazed by how much of the story I missed out on by not having as many points in Intelligence, Wisdom & Charisma. I didn't finish, but it felt like I was missing half the game. I wouldn't recommend it your first time through. There are more than enough NPCs to soak up damage while you cast your spells.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Palleon posted:

Small exp boost.

I really don't think that's true in the version of Valkyria Chronicles released outside of Japan. I never noticed any boost when I would approach enemy corpses.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Orvin posted:

I thought in later levels it gave a chance to receive their weapon. Or maybe only certain enemies give you their weapon. But I don't have any direct proof of that.

You get the weapons from killing Aces or from getting an A rank on the mission (starting with mission 10 or 11, I believe). It's automatic as long as you meet those parameters. You'll always get presented with the weapon (aces) or told to visit the castle (A-rank)

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Minorkos posted:

Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2: 2 point strategy guide for beating both games
1. Always block when standing still
2. Never, EVER stand still

These are the most important tips, but also, at least for Ninja Gaiden 1:

3. Use a guide for the golden scarabs. A few of them are permanently missable and it sucks to not be able to get all the bonus items/weapons.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Xander77 posted:

I'm currently using the pistol as a weapon of last resort. I'm pretty sure some augmentations will make it excellent for the beginning of the game, but also equally sure that it will become irrelevant latter on - so I'd rather use my stuff otherwise.

Feel free to use whatever you want, but this is absolutely incorrect. The pistol, fully upgraded, remains powerful against everything except bots for the entire game.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Killing Vector posted:

Finally, your battle rank is determined solely by how many turns it takes you to win. I would highly recommend against trying to go for all A ranks your first time through; it can kinda suck the fun out of the game. Just play at your own pace, and if you're worried about being underleveled you can always do a skirmish or two. You can save A ranks for New Game + anyway.

I'd like to add that in my game, once I unlocked Elite Scouts and Shocktroopers I never had a problem getting A ranks. In some missions I even did it in less turns than required for an A.

After chapter 7 the game has a reverse difficult curve. The Elites just make it a cakewalk. It's probably also worth mentioning that I had Elites without even doing skirmishes.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Capsaicin posted:

Any tips for Darksiders?

For God's loving sake: When you get to the point in the game where you have to punch a block with a bomb on the top over a small gap DO NOT PUSH IT ALL THE WAY TO THE RIGHT FIRST.

If you do, it will get permanently stuck and the game's autosave will no doubt kick in when you try to leave the room and come back. I am usually anal about keeping multiple saves, but I didn't see the point in a Zelda clone so I was hosed out of 9 hours. I didn't have the heart to start over.

I searched all over and I could not find any way to reset that drat block.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Cbouncerrun posted:

Wouldn't it reset if you left the dungeon instead of just leaving the room?

I backtracked as far as the game would let me and returned. The block was still stuck. For plot-related reasons you can only go back so far.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

al-azad posted:

You know the solution was probably something simple like detonating the bomb. I haven't heard anyone else having this same problem.
It wasn't. The block was three elevators/floor below the set of crystals that needed to be blown. And anyway I detonated the bomb several times in order to kill myself to see if that reset the block.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlQhl9dBSjY This video someone made shows the glitch in action.

If you google "Iron Canopy Glitch," you'll see that I'm not alone. There's actually another game ending glitch there which involves a disappearing enemy you need to kill to advance.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

al-azad posted:

Well, that sucks. Hopefully they fix it in the PC version because I doubt I'll finish it on consoles any time soon.
I think they actually did patch the console versions. But those glitches remain unfixed.

What's REALLY annoying about the one I encountered is that, as the youtube video shows, if they had put a bar on the 4th side of the block, it'd be a nonissue. There's really no reason to have bars on just three sides.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Volvagia posted:

Oh my god how are you supposed to make it even 10 minutes at a time in Castlevania Symphony of the Night? I'm dying constantly.

Are you dying on the initial Dracula fight or have you started the real game?

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Mercedes posted:

Goddamn those two fuckers! I would get raped by a dude with AIDs then have those two assholes rape me so I can kill them with the AIDs. They regularly kill me with one move...

It's spelled AIDS. It's an acronym. Not a plural of AID.

And it sounds like you need to learn to dodge :smug:

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Bloodcider posted:

You made the right choice. That game was awful.

I have to completely disagree. The stuff they added from MGS2 makes the game much, much more playable. And at this point you're probably playing for the story more than the challenge. I tried to go back to the PS1 version when I bought the trilogy and I just couldn't.

The good outweighs the bad in Twin Snakes, by far.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

BigTeaBag posted:

Mirror's Edge is very short (5 or so hours) and lineal. One of the achievements is to beat the game without shooting a person. This is very doable on the normal difficulty, although the very last level can make it a bit difficult.

edit: Try not to get into too many fights. You usually lose and can't take too many bullets before you die. The game is meant to be played with you running away.

I would strongly, strongly recommend NOT going for that achievement your first time through. While it's certainly doable, you're still learning the game and there are certain parts that can go from infuriating to easy if you just use the guns you're given.

The game gives you guns when you need them most. It is designed this way. If you want additional challenge on another run through, then by all means go for it.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Sindai posted:

I just started playing Uncharted 2 and I'm really, really bad at it. I got to the jungle part and suddenly I'm fighting like 3-5 guys with AKs and grenades at once who can hit me easily the moment I peak out from behind cover from a hundred feet away. It feels really ridiculous for "normal" difficulty and I'm actually stuck on the part where you sneak into their main building then have to escape because the moment I leave cover I get shot to pieces, and if I stay in cover to try and heal they rush me or grenade me.

I'm not really sure what part of the game you mean (if it's the camp that's the area that gives a lot of people trouble for the first time), but I survived my Crushing run by learning to effectively move between cover. The next step is to be able to scan the enemies and decide who's easiest to pick off. The pistols are fantastic for nailing enemies from far away. Unlike Uncharted 1, the enemies don't magically dodge head shots. Beyond that, if you're still struggling, blindfire with the AK can stop rushing enemies in their tracks.

The name of the game is moving between cover while killing the most vulnerable enemies.

If a grenade lands on the other side of cover from you, you're basically immune to it. Otherwise, move to the end of the cover and try to roll behind new cover. Most areas have at least one place where you can indefinitely roll back and forth between two sets of cover.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

PrinnySquadron posted:

Anything for the 1st Persona from the PSN?

I almost poo poo myself thinking it was now a PSOne classic and I had somehow missed it in the weekly updates. Until I realized that you probably just meant the PSP version. THANKS A LOT.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

C-Euro posted:

-Learn to love (and abuse the hell out of) the Golden Fleece. You can deflect almost anything with it (especially projectiles), and bosses in particular are suspect to counters.

This applies to deflecting the Gorgon freezing spell as well. Although a puzzle requires it, a lot of people seem to forget. This makes a few fights (and one of the challenges) a hell of a lot easier.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Alris posted:

There aren't, it's just a pain in the rear end going back through the underground areas farming up the amount needed to get that stupid barbel.

If you're careful with your Purples, you should not have any problems with it.

I played the game, lost a ton of Purples and quit. Years later I did the same drat thing :bang:

So yes, treat your Purples like there's a limited number available because farming them is the worst thing about the otherwise fantastic game.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The very first one can be skipped (it's pretty much a generic Super Mario 64-esque platformer with guns, it doesn't have the RPG system at all and you die in 4 hits) but #2 and #3 are both fantastic and have tons of content. #4 is an arena shooter with no platforming at all so you might want to skip that one, though.

I'm trying to figure out which games you're talking about here but I have no idea since they're not numbered and there are PSP sequels. By 3 do you mean Size Matters?

I love the PS3 games and I want to eventually play the older ones but the lack of an RPG system does not sit well with me since I like upgrading my guns :hellyeah:

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Spermando posted:

Ninja Gaiden Sigma

I ended up using a checklist from gamefaqs for the Golden Scarabs. A good few of them are permanently missable and they can be traded for some one-of-a-kind weapons you probably don't want to miss.

If you're spamming a certain jumping attack you're playing the game wrong. It took me a few levels to really "get" NGS. The name of the game is to know when to block (90% of the time) and when to dish out the pain (the 10% of the time your enemies are open and practically asking to get decapitated.) It will come with time.

The charge attack is difficult to use, but practically doubles your income from murdering enemies.

From my experience, the game practically has a reverse difficulty curve. Your life bar grows as the game goes on (a la Zelda) and once you have plenty of health you can afford to play more offensively and the game will get easier.

Nearly all bosses (even Alma) have a pattern you can take advantage of. Be sure to look for it.

Big Tits McBlonde's levels have some optional encounters. I found them fun but some people think they're the worst part of the game. The prizes are generally poo poo but there aren't exactly a lot of them.

Be sure to upgrade your weapons. Go with what feels best to you.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

SinetheGuy posted:

I've long been curious about the Assassins Creed series, but the first one got mediocre reviews, and I was broke when the second one came out. Now that I have some cash lying around and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood has overwhelming praise, I figure I'll give it a try. I don't much feel like playing previous games just to get to the good one, but will I be missing out on a lot? I understand that the story is rather involved, and Brotherhood drops you in immediately following the plot of AC2, so I wonder if I'll get lost.

You definitely will get lost. Brotherhood assumes that you're familiar with the characters from AC2. While I skipped AC1 (too repetitive for my tastes, read the plot summary and now I'm following Geop's excellent LP) I can't really say that familiarity with AC1 is necessary. AC2 though... yeah, you'd be doing yourself a huge disservice by starting with Brotherhood.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Monicro posted:

Yeah, you should definitely at least play AC2. If you don't want to play the first one for some reason, there's a great LP of it going currently.

And also, I couldn't imagine someone who likes Brotherhood not considering AC2 a "good one." If you have the cash for Brotherhood, maybe you could do AC2 and wait for a nice price drop on Brotherhood.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

OilSlick posted:

Can't you still play 2 and 3 on your PS3? MGS1 may be hard to find though.

Only if s/he has a backwards compatible PS3 that can play PS2 games. And MGS1 is on PSN for 10 bucks. Actually 1-3 had a pretty nice boxed set a few years back that might be around in some stores.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

pseudorandom name posted:

Note that putting your phone in sleep mode halts story progression in some cases.

If you find yourself without anything to do, story-wise, take your phone out of sleep mode and gently caress around for a few minutes. The first call you get will probably be a story mission.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Snot Man posted:

I've seen a lot of posts about Dragon Age, but right now my main question is which DLC should I get and which isn't worth my money?
It's the only one I have and from what I read the only one that's truly worth it is Warden's Keep - this is the one that lets you get a chest to keep your extra poo poo in. The game is really stingy with inventory space and that thing was a godsend. I actually enjoyed the quest too :)

If you bought it new you should have a code for an extra party member and the associated quest. That was also cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

PlasticPaddy posted:

I bought this along side FFX:

So if I don't like X I'll have IV (which I've heard is good?)

Thanks for the help chum.
You picked up two of the best RPGs ever. But possibly the worst available port of either. The load times :cry: