Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

Vadun posted:

Life regeneration is tied to your hitpoint total. Pump the constitution stat (or whatever its actually called) and steamroll your way through the game.

I had a ton of trouble playing anything in Book 1 besides Wolverines bastard son. I heard Book 2 is a lot better balanced but you pretty much have to cheese your way through 1
On that note, any tips for Book 2? I played Book 1 ages ago and have completely forgotten which character options were good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think the way it works is that the more traps/spells/whatever are affecting an orc on death, the bigger the combo. For example, Tar + Grinder + Clockwork Mace + Ring of Lightning secondary usually wipes out anything going through and racks up a big combo while doing it.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

Unity of Command. I'm having a little trouble with supply. I know it should travel along rails, but it seems a little touchy. In the third scenario (Edelweiss) it seems to use my weaker supply source to trace from the railroad. The manual is a little unhelpful in this regard.
Supply radiates out from all supply sources (press S to see the supply overview). It follows rail tracks if the rail is connected to the supply source and each rail hex radiates supply with the same initial value as the source. Different types of terrain 'cost' different amounts of supply to pass through, e.g. a river or mud costs a lot more than normal terrain. In Edelweiss only the supply range 1 source is connected to the rail.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

Fun Shoe
Character creation tips:

Get 2 levels of Brawling, it's very handy.
Assault Rifle is the best weapon skill early, Energy Weapon later.
A couple of characters should have Medic.
There are a lot of practically useless (or at least really niche) skills.
Combat Shooting used not to do anything, maybe this is now different?

This guide will tell you pretty much anything you want to know.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

Fun Shoe
As a bit of a counterpoint to that, it is totally possible to destroy any zombies etc. in your way in Thief. You will easily be able to afford/find the tools you need to get rid of them. Definitely play on Expert.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

Fun Shoe

Heran Bago posted:

Dark Souls. I played Demon's Souls for hours and hours before it finally clicked and was fun. I'm worried that Dark Souls will be equally impenetrable because I don't know what wiki articles to read, which class will be the easiest after leveling up, or which easily missable pickups and merchants will make the game that much easier. I'm willing to die two or three times to figure out the boss's attack pattern, but I'm not so willing to retread the same 3D environment figuring out which of the several "jump here" hints is serious and not trolling me into kill myself. I get that it's part of "the experience" but I just want to play the metroidvania rougelike rather than wrestle with it.
Get a shield with 100% physical block as soon as possible. The easiest character class, in my opinion, is the Pyromancer. Two simple-ish character builds are:
1) Pump Dexterity, ultimately use a Great Scythe, Uchigatana (must kill a character to get this, or you can buy it through a reasonably convoluted route) or Balder Side Sword (a rare drop).
2) Use a Zweihander and pound everything into the ground using the heavy attack. This is amazingly satisfying.

Add pyromancy/sorcery/miracles to taste. Pyromancy just costs souls so it's useful for everyone, even people who neglect magic stats. Personally, I prefer sorcery to miracles.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

Fun Shoe
Anything for the first King's Field game (the one only released in Japan)? I'm playing the Sword of Moonlight remake version if that makes any difference.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

there is a "dark realm" that you can unlock with an interaction you're unlikely to stumble upon. once you've unlocked it, portals start showing up regularly so you don't have to do the weird bullshit again. it's basically a worst-of collection of monsters from the rest of the game using an existing level's visual design and music (why? i dont know). to unlock it, get up real close to one of those gibbering mass-looking monsters in the maze of ix that fucks with your screen and wait. the hard part is avoiding killing them long enough for it to go off. i don't even know if there's anything that makes it worth it the first or any other time, though
To make the spoiler bit a little easier: you can stop attacking by holding RT.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's a bit niche, but here are some tips for https://store.steampowered.com/app/1539750/Realms_of_Antiquity_The_Shattered_Crown/:

- If you start with a single character, you can use the Hero class which is more than strong enough to solo the early part of the game. There is one recruitable member of each other class.
- Most stats have a decent benefit if you get them to 8.
- Don't train too much in picking locks, disarming traps or lore, as you can completely replicate these skills with magic.
- You can find a good spellbook in the ice fort north of the starting town. Buy a mace first for skeletons, though.
- Magic Eye is an important spell as otherwise it can be hard to spot secret doors.
- You need food to regain stamina as time passes.
- A buff overwrites a bad condition, so if you get poisoned you can either cast Cure or Regenerate, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

Fun Shoe

SiKboy posted:

Anyone got anything for Sifu? I've played enough to beat the first boss, and I'm simultaneously enjoying it while also feeling like I dont really know what I'm doing.
I really enjoyed Sifu and did everything apart from the Dragon trials which make you do things like fight two bosses at once. It's bad at telling you how to play, though!

- Some moves are more useful than others. I found Environmental Mastery, Crotch Punch and Chasing Trip Kick good ones to unlock first.
- On that note, the moves have an age limit to unlock them, e.g. the bottom 5 need you to be 25 or younger. Once they're permanently unlocked that doesn't matter, though.
- Some moves have better properties when your back is turned, e.g. the push becomes a longer ranged kick. You can manually turn away using Flowing Claw whenever you want.
- It doesn't tell you, but Flowing Claw has special follow-ups using light (triple claw strike) and heavy (Spin Hook kick).
- It says in the move description which weapons they can be used with, but they take different forms. For example, Crotch Punch becomes a very long ranged poke when holding a staff, and Charged Backfist can instakill any enemy when holding a knife.
- Strong Sweep Focus doesn't tell you that it's actually for taking someone out of the fight temporarily. If you don't attack they will stay down for about 10 seconds.
- You can and should throw enemies over balconies, off ledges, down stairs etc. as much as possible. It's a bit fiddly for throwing over balconies as sometimes you will smash their head against the railing, but it will either instakill or do a lot of structure damage.
- Eventually you will get a sense of which basic enemies get a second wind on takedown. It is random but seems to be a gradually increasing chance, so it's usually the same few. You can defeat them normally to skip it, but they are a good source of score if you're looking for that.
- Once you kill (not spare) a boss you can fight against them in the training mode.
- You can use boss shortcuts and still get all three shrines in certain levels.
- Don't invest too heavily in focus as the last boss is immune to focus moves.

Naar fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 17, 2024