Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

-When creating your character, avoid the backgrounds that depend on your location for magic. Miracle Operation is almost overpowered.

-When selecting your items from the shop before you start, get the lockpicks as they have a 10% boost and you can't find them anywhere else I believe. Same thing with the dress at the store. Then get some potions and a cheap dagger. You'll find better stuff soon.

-Magic is incredibly useful. Teleport will eliminate annoying travel, catrip will unlock most doors, harm will kill almost everything, and charm will let you talk to almost anyone in a positive matter. Don't spam it at the beginning of the game though, you'll run out of fatigue, and fall over.

-Even if you're going tech, get teleport. It is so damned useful.

-The first town sucks, but has lots of good XP. Don't give the guy the camera though. Once you get out of the Shrouded hills, the game really starts to shine. You can skip it almost entirely if you want as well.

-Get Sod Meadmug from the first town. He's one of the few characters that will stay at your side no matter what you do, and he's great for killing things early game.

-Make sure you have lots of ammo before going anywhere if you're using a gun. I mean lots, like multiple stacks, and stuff to make more if needed.

-If you find an empty building, with a box in it, feel free to put your stuff in it, it will never go away.

-Oh yeah. For the love of god, get Drog Blacktooths patch for the game.

Not the most important advice, but it's something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Rirse posted:

Since it's now free from the Offical Elder Scroll website, what's some good tips for both Arena and Daggerfall?

Don't be upset if you can't finish a dungeon. Because you probably won't. In fact, you'll probably get stuck in one, and have to load a save.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

I was at home over the weekend and found two games, Arcanum and Icewind Dale 2 I bought a long long time ago but never got around to playing.

I know people put out good patches over time, so does anyone know, for these two games, what patches I should download from official ones to player made? I know people have probably put some work into these and figured this was the best place to ask.

Here's the fanpatch for Arcanum.

http://drog.terra-arcanum.com/uap.html#downloads

You can find the official patch through http://www.terra-arcanum.com/downloads/ click on Arcanum and then Official patches.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

SlippyFists posted:

Went and bought Ninja Gaiden Sigma, is there anything that I should know before really sinking my teeth into the title? Like should i stick to one particular weapon and upgrade it?

The sword is pretty much the best weapon. You can play around with the others, but upgrading them really isn't worth it. The wooden sword however becomes ridiculously powerful when fully upgraded, but that should probably wait until after the normal sword is upgraded.

There are a few spots that are really good for grinding money too, you'll probably realize em when you get to em, easy enemies that respawn and are right at the entrance to an area. No reason not to grind really.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Alright, this game is pretty old and I don't imagine many people have played it, but does anyone have any tips for Dragon Warrior Monsters?

Wow. It's been forever since I played this, but I loved it when I did. I always thought it was loads better then the original pokemon.

Anyways, if I remember correctly, devils and dragons are probably the better of the races. However, to get the good monsters, you have to breed like crazy. Basically, save before you go on a breeding session to see what is going to be created, because if you don't like it, you'll definitely want to reload. Almost all of the best monsters in the game can only be obtained through breeding. You're also going to want to plan ahead. Breed a monster just so you have it and can breed with it later.

Of course, it also helps (just like in the original pokemon) if you have another gameboy to trade with. You can get some pretty good monsters easily by trading with someone else. I doubt that's much of an option nowadays though, not like it really was back then either.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Astfgl posted:

Arcanum Stuff

- Sogg Mead Mugg: Inn, Shrouded Hills. Solid melee fighter, and decent packhorse. You need 9 charisma for him to join. I rarely take Sogg.

I agree with everything but this. Sogg is great for when you start out. All you have to do is ask, and he joins. He hits like a truck, and he's one of the only characters that will stay in your party NO MATTER what you do. No matter what.

I think the only other character that stays with you like he does no matter what is Worthless Mutt.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Nocturne Sabre posted:

I'm not one to tell people what they should or shouldn't like, but you are doing something terribly, terribly wrong. It's been too long since I've played it to figure out what, but Arcanum is one of the best games I've ever played, easily up there with Baldur's Gate 2 in terms of RPGs.

Seriously. It is a great game, and if you followed the advice in this thread (of which there was a lot of) you should be fine. If you keep dying in the first few levels, maybe you should stop and figure out what you're doing wrong instead of raging that you can't steamroll everything. Try different methods of doing things.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

What's the deus ex restoration mod called that was actually really decent? If you didn't kill anyone your brother would reward you with a special blackjack?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Civilization 4: This is an excellent walkthrough to help give you an idea of what to do, why to do and when. I strongly recommend reading it, even though it doesn't cover Beyond the Sword, it'll give you the info and knowledge you need to not be dirt poor and starving before the classical age. From there you can start making your own strategies.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

Clerics gain experience by casting buffs and heals; ideally they should be busy enough that you don't need to level them up. If you do, the easiest way is to make them into combat character, either by transmigrating them to a mage class (keeping all of their healing spells), or by having them create a mage - they'll be able to use their apprentice's skills as long as they're standing adjacent, and after using them enough times, they'll learn them permanently. My healer ended up skilled in Ice and Wind magic and never had any trouble gaining levels by killing things.

I thought the gaining experience by casting heals wasn't added until the second game? I remember it being a godsend when I started playing 2.

And eventually, you'll reach places where you can easily gain your characters 10-100 levels in just a few turns, so you don't have to worry about it too much.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

In Fable 3, once I become king/queen, will I ever be able to go back to the game proper? Exploring, doing quests and jobs, that sort of thing? Or should I have done everything before that?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Cliff posted:

The point of no return is "121 days remaining". At that point, DO NOT visit the throne room until you're done doing everything you want. The game gives no indication that this is the point of no return.

Cool, now I just need to get about 8 million gold. Lots of pie to be made I guess.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Brian Fellows posted:

Honestly I screwed myself by ignoring the treasure chests in the building before exiting the town because it's been forever since I've played an RPG with the horrible, every three steps random battles. I just wanted to get out of there. I usually expect some type of area where I can resupply after I get out of a random battle area. It's not like I don't have plenty of healing items and an area to rest and save at. I just get one hitted by Tunnel Armor and can't use the knife that Locke has to use Runic.

Sounds like my best best is to just start over. Unhappy.

You shouldn't have to start over. It's really really hard to gently caress yourself over in the game. I'm pretty sure almost any weapon (except for like three or four of em) that Celes can equip can be used with Runic. So even if you have some lovely sword sitting in your inventory (don't use the optimum option) equip it on her. Other then that, I believe you can go back to the engine room and go back to the original location Figaro Castle was in to shop around, or at least wander around in Figaro Castle. Worse case scenario, grind a bit so you don't die so easily and maybe find a drop that will help.

I am 100% positive you can continue without having to start over. Look at a FAQ if you need to.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 9, 2011

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

ape canyon posted:

I'm totally new to this genre, so I'm not sure that'll be too much of an issue for me. Do you have any tips on how to not be horrible at this game/genre? SO far I've just been killing monsters and healing, and using special abilities when it seems beneficial. Also leveling up my zombie buddy :3:

It might be obvious to you and everyone else, but it took me forever to get and helps immensely. Figure out how to do Miracles, and do them a lot. They involve setting up your characters, enemies, and panels so the rays on the floor. You want to get the things going into a spiral to get as much as possible.

There are items you can use to change the way an enemy faces, but you can use them without consuming them. Just highlight the enemy after selecing the item, position it, and then cancel out of it. The enemy will still be facing the same way. This will make things so much easier.

Also, I found one of the best ways to get levels was to kill your own guys.

Personally, I thought the gameplay was a lot better then disgaea, but the story is extremely mediocre.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Alright, I'm ready to sit down and play King's Field. I'm playing the one labeled "1" in the US so I guess that's King's Field 2 in Japan. Any tips?

I don't remember too much from when I first played this game (release) except for three things. One, it's hard as balls. Not Demon Souls or Dark Souls hard (which are easy in comparison), but just plain loving hard hard.

Two, learn to circle strafe or you will die constantly all the time forever and ever.

Three, listen closely to the sounds in the world. This isn't a game you can play with itunes in the background. Almost all of the secret areas are indicated by sounds.

And don't be afraid to look up help, cause holy hell. The game is just "Hey guess what, here you are, now go!" A lot of the item descriptions aren't helpful in the least bit.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Whoa, there are item descriptions? How do I see them? I have this loving crystal and I have no idea what it does and everything murders me. It took me like 5-6 minutes to kill two of those squid guys because I had to strafe with such a wide berth around them. Now I see some plants and squids which is like doubly terrifying.

poo poo, I just looked up a video of the first one and I'm getting the kings fields games confused. The second one added descriptions. Yeah, I think I went back to try the first one once and just sort of laughed, because of how ridiculously hard it is.

My other points still stand though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

The skills demons inherit change when you go out of the fusion screen and back in, so if they aren't getting the skill you want back out (not all the way) and try again.