Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Uncharted Waters: New Horizons

Only use rowing ships, never sails. There are too many points in the game where wind will suddenly stop and you'll be sitting there with your thumb up your rear end as all your supplies quickly decrease. IMO the best ship in the game is the La Realle, an early row boat you can get used in most ports at the very beginning of the game, and I believe investing in Bordeaux a few times allows them to build it very early. Change the crew to five members, it will show that it can't run, but it can and it's extremely fast and will use almost no resources.

The easiest way to make a ton of cash right out of the gate is to sail to the NW side of Greenland and hope that a village pops up. If it does, give the villagers food until you can discover a Sabretooth. Go sell the discovery and make more than enough money to get a serious trade route between Athens/Istanbul started. If the village isn't there, there are a lot of other ones available, but it is the easiest to get to and offers a huge benefit.

Battles: Don't bother with cannons. Simply advance to the captain's ship and challenge them to a duel. Usually can't do this with a La Realle, so if you're going to be fighting grab a bigger ship like a Galleon or much later a Tekkousen (from Japan). Duels are basically rock-paper-scissors matches. You can get the best sword in the game at the black market in I believe Timbuktu very early. One of the best armors is in the black market in I think Copenhagen, which you can also get very early. In terms of battle commands, Thrust always does the most damage so be happy when you get a hit in with it.

Trade: Most trade routes suck except for two. Athens-Istanbul art/carpet run makes you a ton of money extremely fast. Later on after some investing, you can do a silver/gold trade route between I think Naples and whatever city is on the Canary Islands (that place needs to be 1000 industry to have gold). Two extremely fast methods to make a lot of cash.

Characters: Each story is good, Catalina and Otto's are both very short. Theirs and Joao's all have forced endings. The other three don't force you to go somewhere to end the game until you're ready.

The most important crewmember to get is a guy with a high bookkeeping skill. If you follow my strategy you will only be using one La Realle for the majority of the game, so you don't need a whole bunch of experienced sailors with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Agrias120 posted:

I recently picked up a NOMAD, which is a blessing for the flights between my university and back home. I decided to christen it with Shadowrun (for the Genesis, obviously), but within twenty minutes I was fed up and frustrated. It seems like every random person on the street would attack me, and retaliating left me with too little ammo, or excessive damage. I definitely need some tips for what to keep in mind when I try this out on my flight home for Thanksgiving.

Input ABBACAB during the logo screen and then go to your Pocket Secretary and the bottom invisibile option for the debug menu. That game is really awful but at least cheating makes it tolerable.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

BoBtheImpaler posted:

I will never stop having a boner for this game, and your post is probably going to make me dig out my Genesis.

Few tips no one else covered:

The Predator heavy pistol available in the first gun shop will be the best gun you get until you can afford a super ballin' SMG.

When you get your character going pretty well, go dick around the Salish-Shidhe until you find a hut in the middle of nowhere, this will get you on a quest to save a guy that survived your brother's botched run, who happens to be a huge badass and will work for you for free.

Find and join the Ork gang in Puyallup Barrens when you can, it costs ~2000 nuyen, but it makes all cab rides free, and you'll be taking tons of cab rides throughout the game.

SMGs stink, they spray too many bullets and don't do much damage. The Predator pistol is actually the best gun in the game (well if you like the Alliance shotgun you can use that but it's ammo is really limited and it can't be silenced). Honestly your best bet is to hire the troll samurai and ork mage and give them both hand spurs and let them melee everyone to death in one hit.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Nate RFB posted:

If only Meena had a spell that healed the whole party, I don't think you could do much better than Hero/Alena/Maya/Meena. As it is I used that configuration for almost all of chapter 5 in DQIV but switched out Meena for Kiryl near the end game.

Same here, Hero/Alena/Maya/Kiryl was the best party I could come up with.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
What do I need to know about Halo 3, specifically the campaign on Legendary? Also, when I pick up those skulls does that count as completing the cheat or do I have to carry it through the level?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

CAPTAIN DOOP posted:

If you haven't played through on Heroic or Normal before then, uh, keep your eyes open for Jackal snipers. You can get one-shotted by those beam rifles. Also, on the second level, try to save a Needler for the room full of brutes and the hammer-wielding chieftain. Needler owns brutes. Also fully charged plasma pistols to instantly take down any enemies' shields and a Battle Rifle or similar weapon to score a headshot.

When you mention the skulls, when you say complete the cheat do you mean "complete the achievement" for getting the skulls?

Yeah, once you pick up the skulls they replace one of your weapons. To get the achievements for them do I have to keep them for a certain amount of time, or does just picking them up complete the achievement (the very first one, "blind", isn't part of the achievement and i haven't played enough to get to the second one to see).

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

warburg posted:

I'm also playing Shining Force II from a recommendation from a friend who has beaten it many times. He says it's really hard and after I barely survived the second battle, I could use some tips.

I'd check a guide since there are a lot of times you can miss characters or important items and never get them again. A few characters seem weak, such as Slade and Peter, but they become the best in the game after their promotions. Oh, other than the mage girls who can become Master Monks with the use of an item at promotion, who can basically solo the entire game.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

The Capm posted:

I just downloaded Suikoden for my PSP but I haven't played it before. I downloaded it solely on reputation. Lay it on me!

Use a guide, otherwise you'll kick yourself when you miss the insanely easily missable characters.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Felter Chesthard posted:

A couple have referenced it but nothing specific, so how about something for Resident Evil 4? I haven't played any of the others in the series.

The Red9 with stock is the best gun in the game, unless you need a specialized weapon like a rifle for long distance shots. The Red9 has basically no recoil, a big clip, and great damage. It is far and away better than any other pistols. The only other weapons I'd even suggest using on a first play through are the Striker (shotgun) and Automatic Rifle. Don't upgrade anything else, you'll be wasting your money.

Also, you'll pick up a bunch of treasures in the game, some can be combined with others to make more valuable treasure. Don't sell them until they're fully combined. Finally, a good way to make money early on is once you get the boat, kill big fish and sell them.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Argon_Sloth posted:

The couple of times I did it I just gave it to some one who could also equip a heal rod. And fought in that desert where all you fight is weak guys who die in a turn or two.

Unfortunately I don't think it's really possible to break this game with out a game genie. There are things you can do here and there that make the next couple of sections easier though.

Like unequiping Mog's Spear when you get the moogles for the multi party fight near the beginning.
When you get access to Locke's weapons that claim "same damage from back row," (Hawkeye/Sniper) put him in the front row. He will throw the weapon pretty often doing more damage. He'll nearly always throw at flying/floating enemies for even more damage.

I could be wrong, but I'm quite sure that the rereleases gives you a run button removing the need for sprint shoes.

If you're playing the SNES version there's a bug where Evade doesn't is useless, and by extension so is blind status. Instead your chance to evade all evadable attacks is based on a character's MBlock. I'm not sure if this was fixed in the remakes.

It's extremely easy to break the game, just read one of the aspergian FAQs about it.

Also, Evade is glitched in every version (possibly not GBA), so MEvade is all that is considered. If your MEvade goes above 128% you take no damage from anything. About half of the characters can obtain this relatively easily in the end game.

Level up Locke with VIt+2 espers in the end game, give him Offering and Gengi Glove and equip the Atma Weapon and Valiant Knife. Each time he attacks he'll do 160,000 damage.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is your wiki dead?

What should I know about Overlord 2?

I also want to know about the Wiki, becuse I'm getting Last Remnant and don't wnat to gimp myself.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
The hit detection in Secret of Mana is awful. You'll notice this espeically when you power up your strike to a high level, let it rip on an enemy and totally miss because either the enemy is in an invincibility animation or one of your party members just hit it. You'll figure out when you can hit and do damage pretty quickly.

You can level up many of your spells, especially healing, at INNS. just cast the spells until you run out of MP, sleep, and repeat.

The best weapons are sword, spear and axe. Whip is ok. There's really not much reason to use anything else.

Always carry a bunch of walnuts to replensh MP for healing and buffs.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Barudak posted:

If you buy it solo, you will kick yourself if you don't get Broken Steel. Don't even consider it an expansion, consider it part of the game that you can for some stupid reason skip out on.

Point Lookout is an excellent expansion with new terrain, a fun set of missions, unique loot, and decently sized.

The Pit is shorter than Point Lookout, has less new features, and a couple of missions.

Mothership Zeta and Operation Anchorage are corridor shooters that aren't very long and ad completely unbalanced equipment.

Ask yourself what thats worth to you. Most likely the difference between a new copy+broken steel v GOTY is negligible so go with GOTY.

I got a used copy of FO3 for 17.99 at Gamestop, while their used copies of the GOTY version were $55.00. If you plan to get all the expansions youd save money with the GOTY version, but not much.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Gau is really useful in theory, but the game is so incredibly easy that you're really better off sticking with 4 people who can reliably attack/ultima every enemy in the game in one round.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Tips for Resonance of Fate? Should I use a walkthrough to not miss stuff?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

floor is lava posted:

I just got Phantasy Star 2 and Shining Force on mah iphone. There anything I should know about either of these games?

I hope you love graph paper. You'll need it to make maps in PS2, which is brutally hard and has unecessarily confusing dungeons.

Shining Force - you may want to look at a guide to see when you can recruit characters. Sometimes people who seem lovely (Domingo, Bleu, Arthur) end up being far and away the best characters in the game once they develop and get promoted. If you love power gaming, you can level up to 20 and then promote and level up again from there for maximum stat gains.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
The house at the Novac motel was my base of operations for the entire game. It's just such a hassle to get in and out of the New Vegas strip to use the house there, where with Novac you can just fast travel in and out with no problem. Highly recommended.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
A few tips for Neir (I just finished ending A).

Quest completion maxes out at 98% (I don't know if DLC adds to it) so don't bother with most of the quests. If you want the achievement/trophy you only have to do 30 of them, and there are a lot of quick and easy ones. There is no reward for doing all of the quests other than dialogue between your characters and a little money, though some quests do give you unique weapons so look those ones up.

Once part two starts, run to Seafront and buy the Phoenix Spear from the blacksmith. Goongrats, you have the best weapon in the game.

Eagle Eggs spawn randomly below the Mayor's house in Aiere. You will need 4 total for all weapon upgrades/sidequests, so you'll be reloading a lot from the savepoint. Eventually you will no longer be able to get the eggs and it will be pretty obvious when this is happening.

2 handed weapons are worthless. My weapon progression went Nameless Blade, Beastbain, Katana, Phoneix Spear and the game was a breeze. The lighter the weapon, the better.

I recommend not selling any materials ever. You can harvest rice and make shitloads of money by setting your PS3 clock ahead one day and then collecting the harvest. Money isn't an issue in this game anyway since the only things you'll really be buying are weapons that you won't use.

Always attach a word to your weapons that increases item drop rate.

The story, characters, music, and setting all own. Play this game.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Spuzzz posted:

There is 100% completion with 51% in the first half of the game. You missed something.

I went back and double checked every single quest and no, I didn't miss anything. 98% appears to be the max. Regardless, you don't get anything for doing all of the quests anyway.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Artix74 posted:

Yes you did. There's a quest in Seafront that doesn't show up until you talk to some idiot three times and Devola will never tell you about it.

Trust me, I did that one and every other as I used a quest guide to make sure. I did not miss any quests.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

wdarkk posted:

Given Cavia, it's possible there's a "bug" where you complete all the quests and it still shows 98% that shows up some small part of the time.

That must be what happened to me. I cross-checked two different quest guides and I absolutely did them all. Oh well, like I said it doesn't matter.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Brian Fellows posted:

We're going with a specific Final Fantasy 6 question here.

The general advice is "this game is easy, just play it." Yeah well (spoilers ahead I guess)

I chose Locke's path as the first path, got through South Figaro and now I need to get through the cave that has Tunnel Armor ahead. Of course, I have no equipment to give to Celes. I'm assuming I need to give her a blade to use her runic blade power, and apparently without it, there's no way the Tunnel Armor won't immediately kill me. How the gently caress do I get back into the town to buy or find some kind of weapon? Best I can tell I can't get in the way I came out (or at least I can't find the hidden passage again).

Am I seriously going to have to start this game over. This game that everyone beat when they were 12?

If you ignored the chests in that cave the first time through, they will have upgraded their contents. The chest in the upstairs room has a Thunder Rod, which will one hit kill Tunnel Armor.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
One more tip for Red Dead Redemption:

There is only one missable achievement/trophy. To get it, you have to use the same horse for 20 story missions in a row. The game does not tell you exactly what to do for this but here it is:

1. Bonnie gives you a horse in your first mission with her, and then another one a few missions later. This does not count against your "same horse" total since you can't turn her down.
2. Never hitch your horse. Always press Up on the D Pad to whistle and make it come to you.
3. If your horse dies, reload your last save. Don't bother going cougar hunting or doing anything else particularly dangerous until after this is over. Don't ride your horse into a gang hideout because there's a good chance it will get shot and killed, plus you are much more vulnerable while on it.

If you follow these steps you'll unlock the trophy right at the end of the New Austin segment.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Can I get some advice for Just Cause 2? There's nothing in the wiki. I'm playing on Hardcore.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Ashmole posted:

Don't pick the "weird wasteland" perk. I played through the main quest and a bunch of sidequests and encountered it once. Its also incredibly buggy (what a surprise).

It's also stupid and you trade one of the best energy weapons in the game for a weapon that has a very limited supply of ammo.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Also, you should ALWAYS take Small Frame since its a free +1 Agility and limb damage is trivial even on hardcore (plus you'll earn a perk eventually that more or less nullifies the downside anyway).

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

elf help book posted:

I actually started New Vegas 1 or 2 weeks ago and here's two things I wish I was told:

Don't bring the companion ED-E into a vault. Mine is trapped in one and I can't get him back and I can't dismiss him so my 2nd companion slot is going to be filled forever. I looked it up and I guess this is a thing that happens in Vault 22. Just... use the other nonhuman companion maybe if you are afraid of this.

Caravan is a pretty fun card game that New Vegas does a TERRIBLE job explaining the rules for. I learned how to play it from this video and like it enough that I play it any time I meet someone who plays it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWH-7t1VPrc

I lost ED-E in Vault 34 and the Vault 22 elevator trick doesn't do anything so your mileage may vary. What sucks is that supposedly if he's glitched you can't do Honest Hearts, so I'll have to do yet another playthrough when the GOTY version comes out unless they patch their mistakes (hahaha).

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Astfgl posted:

1. Your reward for doing Moira's missions is, among other things, a perk that increases in effectiveness if you did all the optional objectives. Based on how many optional objectives you completed and which dialogue responses you picked (Regular, Smart, Tough, Sly or Snide) you get a perk which increases poison/rad resistance as well as one of: HP, Science/Medicine, DR, Sneak/Speech, or Critical Chance. Generally speaking, the Critical Chance is the one you want, since skill points are easy to come by, hitpoints aren't much of an issue in the late game, and DR is very easy to manage. But there are hardly any other ways of increasing your critical chance.

2. You can check very easily to see if the Caravans are still alive. Just find the spot that they stop outside of Megaton (or Rivet City, or Canterbury Commons, or wherever) and wait for them to show up. Once one of them gets there, the others will all be on a 1-3 hour rotation. So if Crazy Wolfgang is there, you can wait an hour or two and suddenly Doc Hoff will appear. Do that four times to make sure they're all still alive and well. If they aren't, there's nothing you can do, though, short of reloading an earlier save, locating that caravan along its route and protecting it from whatever might have killed it. Honestly, as long as Lucky Harith and Crazy Wolfgang stay alive, you've be fine.

1. I disagree - the DR bonus is the best in my opinion. Always answer with either STR or END and do all the optional sidequests.

2. You can reverse pickpocket armor (including power armor) onto all of the merchants to make them have more survivability. I have seen them get killed countless times by even regular enemies like giant radscorpions.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

PRL412 posted:

Thanks for all the responses!

Reverse pick-pocketing and a free sniper rifle! Sam Warrick ambushed me after one of my first few fast travels, so that'll help me repair his gun.

I ran into a Mirelurk on my way to Arefu and the only thing that seemed to help was to cripple its leg so it would stop head butting me. I (accidentally) took out a pair of super mutants, and they left me with more health than that Mirelurk.

Speaking of which, my Small guns stat is already above 50, but I keep finding myself quickly outclassed in some situations. I think it's a combination of working with the AI's larger line of sight (compared to most other FPSs) and my lack of knowledge about what I'm facing. Saving before a fight helps me try out different tactics, but I find that I'll lose a lot of health and little ammo the first time, and then vice versa the second.

Am I pushing too far out of town too fast? FYI, I'm not quite level 6 yet, and I'm currently looking for 'the Family' plaguing Arefu.

DO you have the DLC? If so, take a few hours to do Operation Anchorage because the loot you get from that will be an incredible help.

Also it's a great idea to go to Tenpenny Towers and do the quest to get the ghoul mask asap. It shouldn't be too hard at low levels since the enemies scale with you. Look up the specifics of how to get the mask. It makes all ghouls non-hostile to you which is awesome since they are one of the most common enemies in the game. It also has pretty good DR and can be worn with most helmets. It is probably the best piece of equipment in the game and it can be earned relatively easily.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Chinaman7000 posted:

I think the Fallout gold is definitely something people should NOT know about. Having to suddenly deal with dropping all your loot for the tempting gold bars is the whole point of the DLC, even if mathematically they are worth less than some super repaired guns. I would be pissed if I read that hint in this thread before playing. Yeah, one or two guns in the DLC are worth more, but you are ruining the experience and the theme for the DLC for the sake of min-maxing

Basically it's good to know and interesting for re-playthroughs but that's like telling a Portal player the most efficient solution to a room before they get a chance to solve it themselves.

Considering you can get infinite weapon repair kits from Sierra Madre chips, the gold bars aren't really much of an incentive over full repaired superweapons.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Pyruvate posted:

Any tips for NBA 2K11? I'm trying the my player thing but am getting destroyed and not able to meet targets for scrimmage games.

Actually yes. Either be a 6'7 Point Guard or 7'5 Center. The only drill you should do is dribble course, and only save after you get a speed increase for gold (turn off autosave). Speed is the most expensive stat to raise. Get it to 99 and you'll be unstoppable. Alternatively, you can sell off spent attribute points and use the experience to raise in other areas, which again explains why you are only raising speed since it is so valuable. This is an enormous pain in the rear end though since the dribble drill can raise any of 4 different stats and speed seems to have the lowest likelyhood. (Every time you get gold in the drill you will get a stat raise of either +1 or +2 to one of the four stats. Speed +2 owns but always setttle for +1 since it's such a pain to get anyway.)

One thing to note is that your player letter grade can swing wildly. For example, every time you hold the ball too long you'll drop about a whole letter grade, but each rebound you make gets nearly the same back. I routinely have 20-30 rebounds per game just by staying under the basket when the D has the ball.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I've read the wiki for Final Fantasy V, but can I get some more tips to break this bitch over my knee?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

SpazmasterX posted:

I'm finally getting around to Fallout: New Vegas with the release lull from now until the end of January. What is up with the combat? It seems a lot different than Fallout 3's. I was able to punch across the wasteland from the word Go, and now my punches suck rear end.

Melee is ungodly powerful in NV. Once you get used to New Vegas it is really hard to go back to FO3 because combat is just so markedly improved in every possible area.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

SpazmasterX posted:

That's what I figured. I've also noticed that you're a bit more shoehorned into where you need to go at the start. I tried to head north from Goodsprings to check out the strip and was immediately assaulted by unholy insect swarms that were apparently immune to anything I could throw at them.

There are lots of really tough enemies everywhere in NV, but you are by no means shoehorned into following the main storyline. You can avoid it almost entirely as long as you stay out of the Tops.

One crazy awesome trick if you have all of the DLC: Take the Skilled trait when you start the game, then re-build your character after leaving Goodsprings and take it again. Instant +10 to all skills. You can take it a 3rd time in Old World Blues for a permanent +15 to all skills.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Eggie posted:

Dragon Warrior 7. What should I know? What kind of guide should I get?

Follow some spergin gamefaqs guide from beginning to end. Seriously, there are so many "gently caress you" things in this game that you will be kicking yourself later if you don't. Also expect around 100 hours of game, with probably 50 hours of that purely grinding.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I read the wiki for Infinite Undiscovery -- is this a spergin need-a-walkthrough game?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
My advice for F:NV DLC is to skip Dead Money and Honest Hearts altogether (unless you have the ultimate edition). They are both pretty boring.

Old World Blues is really amazing and Lonesome Road is worth playing. I wish all DLC for all games could be as good as Old World Blues, got drat.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I am going to start on the Mass Effect series -- what should I know to break these games over my powergaming knee?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I'm about 3/4 of the way through Mass Effect and have found it to be mostly a repetitive bore. Would I like ME2 or should I just get out of this series altogether?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Barudak posted:

What have you found boring? ME2 improves leagues and bounds in terms of presenting the content in more cohesive and smaller individual units and the combat is a tremendous improvement. If you don't really like the plot or writing though its a Bioware game trilogy so thats not really going to change.

It's a corridor shooter with bad controls, samey sidequests, and too many unnecessary extra planets that add nothing to the game play.

EDIT also gently caress the Mako forever.

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 7, 2012