Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Anything I should know about Metroid Prime 1 & 2 before I start? I beat 3 already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
How about for Mark- I mean Max Payne 2? If it matters, I have played Max Payne 1.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

zrrgin posted:

I have never played Master of Orion 2 (never could find the drat thing). Today, I found it at a used bookstore, so any advice before I install would be great (I have played the first one, and sadly the third one as well).

Easy mode is Omniscient, Telapathic and Creative.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Any Okami advice? General is appreciated, but any tips on weapon use? (Wii version, for what it's worth)

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

Dalai Lamacide posted:

Well, I mean, I could just direct him to the only walkthrough I could find worth a (one) drat. It's incomplete and poorly written by someone who's first language was not English. When I say worth a drat I am using that phrase LOOSELY.

Yeah, but the point of this thread is to not have to use a walkthrough and instead get some general tips so that they don't die/ miss something super necessary/ have fun playing. Just pointing out a walkthrough is not helpful.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
What should I know about Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn before I play this game?

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

Kneel Before Zog posted:

As someone who couldn't get into the Paradox games I've decided to give them another shot. Any beginning advice for Europa Universalis III, please?

- Make sure you have at minimum the Napoleon's Ambition and In Nomine expansions. They make the game complete (hence included in the EU3: Complete edition) and I wouldn't play without them. Heir to the Throne is the latest expansion, and I haven't played it yet, but I've heard good things. This also applies to the latest patch. Paradox will change things up something fierce with each patch.

- Start with England or Castille. They're easy mode right at the start of the game. If you want to start a few years after 1399, France is also easymode once they absorb all the minors around them.

- The National idea that reduces inflation should be your first choice, especially if you don't know how to work off of just your yearly income.

EDIT: It's a big thread, but the Paradox Megathread is full of very helpful people that will happily answer any questions about the EU3. I used them to learn Crusader Kings! [/testimonial]

Vander fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 26, 2009

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

Actually it was the Pyramid that granted you the option to use Emancipation early. Stonehedge just put monuments in all your cities so you can get their borders expanded while also having the world map centered for you.

No, the pyramids only gives all government civics, of which emancipation is not. Emancipation is a labor civic.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
How about some advice for a slew of Wii games I got for Christmas: Anything I should know about The Conduit, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, or Resident Evil 0?

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Any tips for Supreme Ruler 2020?

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
What should I know about the Dawn of War II Campaign before I start?

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

Master of Orion 2.

If you choose telepathic, you can mitigate it's high point cost by taking the ground combat penalty. You'll never need it!

As an addendum, telepathic, omniscient, and creative is easy-mode.

If you're playing a custom race, whichever portrait you use will stop that race from playing in your game. So if you hate someone, gently caress you, rock people use their portrait!

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Any tips for Final Fantasy: The Crystal Bearers?

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Any tips for Grand Theft Auto III, San Andreas, or Vice City? (Thank you, Steam!)

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

Zero Star posted:

I bought Civilisation III on Steam for 75 pence. It's my first Civilisation game and I'd appreciate any tips you guys may have.

I legitimately mean this: Get Civ 4, because it is a much better Civ game than 3. It has the good stuff of 3 without its bad aspects.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Ok you beta testers, what should I know about Starcraft II before I play this game for the first time?

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Play on Easy unless ...

Don't do this if you want the full ending! You need to beat the game on normal or bitter in order to see it!

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
What should I know about Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks? I'm about to head into the lost woods, for what it's worth.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
What's the google search string that lets you search this thread?

EDIT: Ok, a search didn't get me much. Any tips for Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising? How about some tips on the corruption system in general. Will I lose squads that are too corrupt, or do I switch to chaos if enough of my squads are corrupted?

Vander fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 6, 2011

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
I bought Capitalism II from the GoG sale this weekend. Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

GeauxSteve posted:

I got Pokemon Black after never playing since Red/Blue. Anything I should know?

The Megathread is really helpful and will be a great resource for you. This is from the OP:

The following covers some of the most outstanding changes, in order of generation.
  • Generation 2 (Gold, Silver) - Dark & Steel types added (Dark is immune to Psychic and weak to Bug & Fighting; Steel resists practically everything and is weak to Fire, Ground, & Fighting), Genders & Breeding added (species can breed and crossbreed for new moves and species otherwise unavailable), Special Stat split into Special Attack and Special Defense, Time & Day added (the encounter tables and events available ingame depend on what time and day it is IRL), Hold Items added (Pokémon can hold things for automatic use in battle out of turn, like weapons and heal items)
  • Generation 3 (Ruby, Sapphire) - Abilities added (Every species has a built-in passive ability that affects gameplay), Double Battles added (2 on 2, as in you have 2 Pokémon Vs. 2 Pokémon), EV system overhauled (in Red/Blue, you had to grind every stat as a requirement, in Gen 3+ it's a customization tool), Natures added (every monster has a passive 10% boost to one stat and 10% decrease to another), loads of other changes that won't matter if you're unfamiliar enough to read this
  • Generation 4 (Diamond, Pearl) - Full online capabilities (trading/fighting/anonymous trading/minigames/voice/etc), Individually physical and special attacks (ie: Thunderpunch uses Attack, Thunderbolt uses Special Attack), loads of other changes that won't matter if you're unfamiliar enough to read this
  • Generation 5 (Black, White) - Triple Battles, Rotation Battles, Global Link and Entralink connectivity modes, reusable Technical Machines, loads of other changes that won't matter if you're unfamiliar enough to read this
But it's still recognizable as the same game, despite being much more intuitive, deep, and tricky than its appearance notes. Pokémon has always been this complicated. In fact, it's gotten much less grindy and unforgiving in terms of complication over the years. Most of the extra stuff is entirely optional.

NOW SOME TIPS
- You really don't need to grind if you don't want to. The new experience formula is based off of relative levels, not absolute levels, so if you're higher than the pokemon you're fighting, you won't get as much XP.

- You won't shoot yourself in the foot with a starter choice. With that said, the grass starter is (maybe) the weakest.

- After the first gym, go to the east and run around in an abandoned building with grass inside for a while.

- Dr.- Trainers are hanging out in some of the deeper places away from poke centers. They will heal your pokemon after you beat them (and then again whenever you need them to with having to battle them again.)

- Make friends with other Pokemon players. You get a great prize if you do 50 trades...