Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Mass Effect
-When you first set off in your ship to tackle some planets, do them in this order. Dig Site, Feros and Noveria. The reason is Noveria is ridiculously difficult if you leap into it right away, especially the final boss who will massacre you if you didn't grind beforehand. Completing Dig Site and Feros first will level you up enough to tackle Noveria easy. Keep in mind once you play a planet to a certain point, you cannot leave until you complete the planet.

-Grind some sidequests in between those planets, by the way. Even if you do some medium-level grinding, that's enough XP for you to plow over the rest of the game. I completed a handful of side-quests on my play-through and I really just steamrolled over the rest of the bosses in the game. Mass Effect is kinda easy like that.

That's really all I have to say,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Dead Space

A lot of the weapons in this game are redundant and with your limited inventory it's easy to waste money on something. Playing the game for the first time is confusing because you don't get the guns all at once and the game doesn't really explain what they do.

-The flamethrower is useless, no stopping power whatsoever. Do not buy it.

-Plasma Cutter and Line Gun do the same thing, dismember. Pick one and upgrade it. The Ripper is the same way but it's a close-range weapon while the former two allow you to keep your distance.

-Contact Beam and Force Gun are good for getting Necromorphs off your rear end, but are crap in terms of damage. VERY useful against those scurrying Necromorph swarm as it wipes them out in one hit so you will need one of these.

-Pulse Rifle is the only weapon in the game that acts like a gun (fires "bullets") and is reliable in that respect.

I played through with Pulse Rifle/Force Gun/Line Gun/Ripper which suited me well.

Sour Fish posted:

Socom Confrontation

- If you're not a fan of the series, you probably won't like it. If you only like respawn, you probably won't like it. If you like unlocking things or expect any sort of advancement, you probably won't like it. If you played a map regularly with rounds and you enjoyed it, get in a clan and keep playing.
- If you're still reading and you are actually going to play this piece of poo poo of a game realize that it is in fact fun if you can get past how terrible Slant 6 is. Also realize that almost all of the people that still play it are veterans from the much more fun Socom 1 and 2 who will frequently tell you you suck.

Going to add a few things here: SOCOM has a very tight-knit userbase whom are used to migrating from sequel-to-sequel as the years go on. It's been like this since SOCOM 1 (thank yearly sequelization of the series) and it will likely continue. So a lot of people playing online have been playing SOCOM for years and will be very good.

The game is very polarizing because it's strictly for hardcore online multiplayer with no respawns, death, frequently repeating maps and major emphasis on clans. That's not to say it's not fun, just don't go in expecting a Call of Duty production.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 26, 2009

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Swiss Army Knife posted:

Anything for Tom Clancy's EndWar?

Haven't played this in a while, but I recall some tips

-Memorize which units are weaks against which and be able to react on the fly. The game is built around this, if some transports are giving you hell send some tanks after them. Read the little booklet that comes in the case and keep it nearby.

-Move your infantry around in the transports, I usually spawn a transport and some engineers at the start. Then I quickly move them to the first uplink and go from there. It's pointless to have them run across the battlefield. Plus, the transports are more effective with their machine guns.

-I always upgraded uplinks to air support because it's an easy and quick attack. If some units are attacking and you have nobody nearby to assist...launch the air strikes against those hostiles.

-DO NOT GROUP ALL YOUR UNITS AROUND ONE UPLINK OR IN ONE PLACE. Once you crush your enemy enough he gets a WMD activated and will launch it at a large group of your units. You will be cleaning up the fallout from that. I've screwed myself over far too many times because I kept everyone together lest I get ambushed. Then the WMD is activated and I can't separate everyone fast enough.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Red Faction Guerrilla is surprisingly hard if you go in run and gunning all the time. Especially since the load times are really long and you have to backtrack to where you were (faction HQs are a long-rear end away from side-quest locations half the time).

I honestly played the game on low difficulty because the fun was just blowing stuff up to me. On low difficulty, you get more of that and less cheap death.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Capsaicin posted:

Assassin's Creed 2 Anybody?

I just got to Montereigattoni.

Upgrade your villa as much as you can; it's amazing how much money you will rake in by mid-game.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Kin posted:

Yeah, wasn't that the one where the enemies scaled in difficulty according to your level. So you could go through the whole game at level 1 if you really wanted to.

Yes, FF8 is the only FF game to my memory where all the monsters and bosses scale with you so grinding is really pointless. Or at least should take a good backseat to a proper strategy.

Edit: To be honest, it's a good idea to level-up 2-3 other characters in addition to your main party in any FF game. I swear, in every FF title I've played the game WILL break your cast up and have them fight big bosses or monsters, in two parties, at some point in the plot.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 31, 2010

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

PRL412 posted:

That said, not all levels are pure stealth missions. The majority of weapons in the game aren't silenced/suppressed, so if there's a larger battle raging on, feel free to throw on a negative camo index and go to town with a larger weapon.

Yeah, there's really only one stage where stealth is practically mandatory (the final stage/act). All the stages before that you could run and gun it. The game though gives you the choice to do that or be all stealth and sneak.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Dr Snofeld posted:

For Dead Space, every weapon except for the Flamethrower is good. The first weapon especially, you could finish the entire game with that alone.

Other than that, always keep at least one power cell in your inventory at all times, until the power cell door in chapter 12. For that matter, open every power cell door you find, the rewards are always worth more credits than the power cell was.

Yeah, the flamethrower is worthless. If you need a good "get the hell off me!" weapon, the Force Gun is the best choice.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

al-azad posted:

If you see a save point, save. Even if you're backtracking, save. Even if you saved five minutes ago, save.

Keep one weapon of each type with you. Even if a weapon has really high damage against a particular enemy type, certain enemies are practically immune to certain weapon types.

The reason for all the saving is because you will constantly run into enemies that will kick your rear end.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

OilSlick posted:

Get through it. AC2 and Brotherhood are awesome and worth your time.

I should also point out that AC2 is a HUGE improvement over AC1. This comes from someone who hated AC1 and found AC2 to fix all the right things. I haven't played Brotherhood yet but the series found the right track.

Echoing that one should just ignore the side mission stuff in AC1. Just play the storyline so you're up to speed for AC2.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

eyebrow posted:

I'm about to start Mass Effect and I don't feel like being forced to be either good or evil. Will there be any negative effects if I just cheat my way into having maximum paragon and renegade points and maximum dialogue skills?

Nah, if you max out one or the other it just unlocks additional dialogue options to spice things up. There is absolutely no downside to going either Paragon or Renegade. To be perfectly honest: just pick whatever dialogue option that looks like something you would say. I did that and I was entertained.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

schwein11 posted:

I know it's soon and there's an official thread (which I'm avoiding due to spoilers), but anything on L.A. Noire ?

Do the street missions, it's a great way to level up early in the game.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

al-azad posted:

If you've ever played a modern FPS before I'll say you should play Rage on hard or nightmare. I never used a single bandage on normal and I enjoyed the game more when I restarted on nightmare and was forced to actually make use of the many gadgets they give you.

Sounds about right, I'm playing Rage on normal and not once was I really forced to use a sentry or mobile drone.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Zotwoz posted:

Gonna start up Deus Ex: Human Revolution in a little while. What I can do to completely cheese the game as in the original?

As mentioned, any upgrades that aid in exploring environment (less fall damage and jump height in particular) should be picked up right away because you are running around maps for big chunks of the game. You will cheese those parts easily by investing in those upgrades.

The boss fights were developed separately from the main game so expect the game to suddenly change when you face a boss. Meaning, don't pour all your XP into stealth upgrades because those boss fights require SOME combat experience (mix it up but lean towards combat at times). Yeah, that sounds like a huge flaw in the game and it was.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

thebardyspoon posted:

Dickwaving probably, though I must admit when I used Gamefaqs alot back in the day I'd usually go for the biggest one just because that would probably be written by the most obssessive dude.

As someone who used to contribute to GameFAQs: all of this is true. The worst are the users who have full and complete guides (not just walkthrough but details about weapons/enemies/etc.) less than a week after a game's release. You just knew they were plagiarizing a game guide but unless they were copying passages verbatim there wasn't much one could do. That, or they were ultra-spergs playing without sleep and I have no idea which is worse.

The ASCII organization I admit is pleasing to the eye and makes a guide look organized but when you have a million different configurations is just overwhelms the reader.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

DannyTanner posted:

Prototype 2
- Much like the first game, being mobile is key.
- Any difficult fight becomes a joke if you leap into the air then do a charged attack repeatedly. Tendrils is good for this until you get Hammerfist.
- Other than the first one, BlackNet missions are optional so don't feel compelled to do them other than for upgrades.

To expand on that first point: level the HELL out of your mobile abilities (like gliding, jumping, etc.) before you even touch anything else. It makes travelling around the city not only easier but adds a lot more fun to the game while giving you the upper hand in ambushes/fights.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Also, more Battlefield 3 tips: if you get into a vehicle DO NOT DRIVE OFF WITH YOU ALONE AS THE DRIVER. Wait at the spawn to see if anyone wants to hitch a ride or be your gunner (some pubbies won't call "I need a ride" and will just silently get into your vehicle so don't think silence is a "no"). I guaran-loving-tee you will be hated if you drive off in a Hummer or APC while a half-dozen dudes are running behind you ESPECIALLY if you are getting destroyed on Conquest and only have your spawn as the friendly point (hiking sucks, especially on the bigger maps).

Don't ditch the vehicle in enemy territory either even if you are at >20 armor because the enemy will take it from you, get their engie to patch it up and now you have another headache in Rush.

The only time sniping ever has any benefit to Conquest/Rush (the meat of BF and where the true ranking-up happens) is in Rush, when you are attacking and are picking off dudes as they try to disarm the MCOM charge. Other than that, never snipe unless you are in one of the Deathmatch gametypes. I miss the days of BC2 where you had the tracer dart and could shoot at snipers lighting them up like a Christmas tree (the classic troll, got so many hate PMs but come on dude).

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Ainsley McTree posted:

The NMS thread has lots of trolls and bad posts, and people have been actually posting helpful tips for it in this thread, so I feel like asking about new games in this thread has been proven to be an a-ok thing to do

It's also great to get through the BS and get a straight answer because New Game Threads are always filled with white noise.

Major Ryan posted:

I've managed to never actually play Zelda: Ocarina of Time, so I picked up the 3DS version. I've played through the first dungeon and been let out into the big wide world. Should I just go with the flow or is there anything in particular I need to know? I'm more than happy to put up with it being an old game with old design/controls etc.

I would go with the flow, the side-quests are a nice distraction but there is nothing extremely important to the main questline. OOT comes from a time where side-quests in RPGs didn't get you awesome extra poo poo to help you out, just a break from the action.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I finally got around to firing up Prey (2017) the other day. Are there any tips I should know before I get further into this game? It seems like the game gets incredibly easier or incredibly harder depending on which skill tree you put Neuromods into and I wish to know which ones are better.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Don't put a silencer on anything in FarCry 5. The game isn't hard, and all the guns will have the same-y pew-pew noise instead of rad 50 caliber bullets echoing through the mountains.

I cleared entire outposts with the dog and sometimes the bow lady without ever stepping on it. The dog would light everyone up so I could target them and they'd clear the place out and grab the undetected bonus.

Both of those allies are so handy and honestly pretty cheap. Especially the bow lady, just mark the snipers in any settlement or whatever and you are good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

limp_cheese posted:

I was typing up a post before I realized everything I was typing I learned by reading the wiki.

I'm not sure if I'm detecting hostility but this was very helpful regardless.