Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lost Odyssey

-Each area of the game has a kind of "recommended level" you'll know you've reached it if you complete a battle and only get 1 or 2 experience points. This means with the proper set up you shouldn't have any problems with the next boss fight.

-You can change any and all gear mid-combat with absolutely no penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

uggy posted:

Any tips when playing The Suffering for the first time?

Every time you hear the whispering voices giving different advice is a good or evil choice that will effect your ending. If you want the good ending listen to the woman, the evil ending listen to the man.

I don't think they really change how the game plays out at all so go with whatever you want for the ending.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

Are the cutscenes skipable? And if not, can I just zone out during them or do I need to pay attention lest I find myself lost and having no idea what to do next? 'Cause I'd like to play this but I really don't know if I can deal with all the cutscenes. It's a game. If I wanted to watch anime, I'd watch anime (except that this will never happen.)

If that's how you feel I'd say just skip the game entirely then. The gameplay isn't really that great and only serves as a vehicle for the story. Also if you don't like anime you'll never be able to stomach the series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

strangemusic posted:

Tornado man = DIAF.

What the hell does that mean? How is some unintelligible acronym helpful at all for someone who hasn't played that game?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

aherdofpenguins posted:

What a good idea.

I'm just about to start Overlord, and while this might sound kind of weird, can I get some advice on Guitar Hero III? I've never played any of the Guitar Hero games for more than a couple minutes, so can you give me some techniques I can use to make me look as much like a rockstar as possible?

For Overlord don't get too attached to your minions as they'll just die in some battle or another. While they technically pick up equipment from killing enemies its almost entirely cosmetic and doesn't really add anything to their abilities so don't be afraid to just send them to their deaths. While its good to have a mix of minions once you unlock the other races you'll want to mainly stick with the brown ones since they do the most damage to just about everyone.

For Guitar Hero, when starting the most fun can be had on Medium difficulty because it can be challenging but doesn't completely gently caress you over. Easy is just too easy and you won't feel like you're really playing since you won't be hitting half of the notes while Hard can just be annoying for a beginner player. If you want to look cool in front of other people while playing learn how to recognize and do Hammer Ons and Pull Offs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vander posted:

How about for Mark- I mean Max Payne 2? If it matters, I have played Max Payne 1.

Max Payne 2's bullet time works differently than the first game in that the more you kill enemies while using it the slower the time becomes. So if you're fighting a room full of guys keep it on as long as possible.

There's a secret ending that you can only get if you beat it on the hardest difficulty which is not available when you first start a game.

Stick around and watch all the TV shows, they're much better in 2 than in 1 and oddly enough I think one of them would have been a really cool show in real life (Address Unknown.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Here's a quick tip for anyone starting out on Dead Space, as soon as you get the starting weapon hit the Secondary Fire button to change its firing pattern from vertical to horizontal. It makes it much easier to dismember limbs with that gun.

Also you can stomp on those green boxes with the little light on them to get extra health/ammo/credits.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rirse posted:

Any tips on Call of Duty 2 and 4 for a first time player of the series. I tried CoD4 a while back, but made the mistake of going straight to Veteran, which was a big mistake.

Call of Duty 2 expects you to use smoke grenades to get past enemy emplacements. So if you find that you're getting shot up by a machine gun nest pop some smoke to block their view.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ornamented Death posted:

No one's mentioned this yet so I will. It is possible to skip large parts of the main quest if you're too enthusiastic in your exploring. Don't worry, you can still finish the game normally, you're just jumping the gun a bit.

As it happens, this is also a useful bit of info for subsequent playthroughs, since it can slightly slow down how fast you're gaining XP.

To avoid this I would suggest doing the story quest until you reach the Brotherhood of Steel Citadel. That's far enough into it that you won't have to worry about accidentally tripping over a quest location, going into it and finding stuff out of order.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Palleon posted:

There are also some significant rewards you can get by playing this far into the main quest that I think make it worth it before you go about doing too much side stuff.

Right, by doing that energy weapons will become more available and you'll be able to use powered armor.

For Assassin's Creed, the intelligence that you collect isn't just a prerequisite to doing the assassination. If you go into the options menu you can actually read the letters or look at the maps you collect. Which can be used to assist you in assassinations.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 2, 2008

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just remember that the mechanics of gameplay are based off the old 2nd Edition D&D so sometimes things can get kind of stupid.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Herr R. posted:

I just bought VtM: Bloodlines and I remember there being a thread called "VtM: Bloodlines, finally getting around to playing it for the first time" or something similar but I can't seem to find it.

Any pointers?

Aso which class should I choose?

Echoing the don't play as Malkavian the first time comment as well as Nosferatu. While playing as Malkavian can be funny its hard to figure out the dialog sometimes and with Nosferatu you can't interact with normal humans. Also make sure to spread your points into combat abilities because while it may seem like you can get through a large chunk of the game without fighting there are large sections where you have to fight especially at the end where its pretty much nonstop battles.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ZenMaster posted:

Far Cry 2
*You can save anywhere, you do not need to be at a safe house or gun shop, as I assumed for about 30% of the game.

This is only true of the PC version. The console version you HAVE to save at a save point (you're also given the option of saving whenever you complete a mission objective.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SiKboy posted:

Anyone got any tips for Mercenaries 2? I picked it up cheap for something to play because there is a bit of a drought in new games I'm interested in playing for like another month. So far I've not played much more than the tutorial level.

Ignore the cash pickups and the bombs that are just lying around in the overworld. The cash is something stupid like just $100K which isn't really worth the time and the bombs are usually poo poo that you can buy in any store.

For stuff like bombs, before you use one check what it uses to mark the bombing zone. Smoke will bomb wherever it lands, beacons can be attached to moving objects like vehicles, lasers will hit whatever you have it pointed at BUT YOU MUST KEEP THE POINTER ON THE OBJECT UNTIL THE BOMB HITS if you stop early it will go off course, satellite lets you just chose where you want to hit from above.

If you're having trouble with Pirate faction missions you can safely ignore them as they do not contribute to the story mission progression.

To steal owned fuel tanks without having to deal with people calling you in and getting hit with negative rep towards that faction all you have to do is mark the fuel and then run off where they can't see you before you pop smoke.

The best way to make money is (after its unlocked) to do the winch challenge. Its super easy so you can just keep on betting the maximum allowed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

tendrilsfor20 posted:

I'm starting TimeShift tonight. Any pointers on how to make the first few stages as painless as possible?

Ignore the Reverse power unless you have to use it in a scripted part. It drains power too fast and isn't really that useful for what it does.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Timeshift probably would have been better received if it had, I don't know, a PLOT. There are some vestiges of one but they somehow forgot to tell you what it was. Also for a game where you had a time suit you did very little traveling through time. You spend most of the game in just the one era.

A game that looks like it might be much better at time manipulation is Raven's new one Singularity. Instead of using the time manipulation on yourself (like slowing down time, freezing it or reversing) you do it to enemies and the environment. Like aging enemies until they turn to dust or turning back time and making an empty rusted barrel new again and full of nice explosive fuel.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Salt Block Party posted:

If you equip the throwing knives in melee, you fight with a dagger. This is different from the hidden blade. Unlike the sword, the dagger has an easy counter-autokill. They don't really mention this in the game. I did not realize I could use the throwing knives for anything except throwing from afar until I had beaten the game, and I bet a lot of those fights against a ton of enemies would have been much easier if I had known about it.

Something about throwing knives that the game is really bad at mentioning, if you run out you can pickpocket more from those big thug guys who wander around towns.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

Dead Space

A lot of the weapons in this game are redundant and with your limited inventory it's easy to waste money on something. Playing the game for the first time is confusing because you don't get the guns all at once and the game doesn't really explain what they do.

The most important thing to know about weapons in Dead Space is that you only get ammo for weapons that YOU ARE CURRENTLY CARRYING. Don't carry a gun that you aren't going to use since your inventory will just get cluttered with useless ammo. Its better to carry less guns if you aren't going to use the fourth one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The only real tips I can think of off the top of my head are that while harvest Little Sisters gives you more Adam to begin with if you save them you'll get more rewards as after so many you'll get a gift from one of them that involves unique plasmids and a lump of Adam.

Also, do NOT kill Sander Cohen the first chance you get. If you let him live he opens up an area for you later on.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HedgeHodge posted:

What should I need to know before playing Fallout 3 on the PC? In addition to general game knowledge, I'm wondering about what mods are necessary and what's the best way to go through Fallout 3 and its DLC.

The best way to do Fallout 3 so you don't screw up the story missions is to just go ahead and do the story up to meeting the Brotherhood of Steel. Otherwise there are a couple of areas where you can accidentally skip story by just exploring while after that it becomes harder to mess it up.

After that just spend the rest of your time exploring which is the meat and potatoes of Fallout 3.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chinook posted:

I agree with this completely. Just follow the story straight along until this point, and you won't skip story events. Although, I think you can safely do all of the Megaton stuff without messing anything up, as long as you don't wander too far out.

The biggest problem was that they stuck story bits into areas that looked interesting enough to explore on their own like Rivet City and the Jefferson Memorial.

Also if you do the story up to meeting up with the Brotherhood you can actually use power armor. Since you're unable to equip it until you get trained which only the Brotherhood of Steel can do.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NeverWolf posted:

Someone give me some helpful starting points in Far Cry 2.

I've already been playing it for two days but any suggestions on important secrets or whatever are welcome.

EDIT: ^ Wowzers shoulda checked that. I've already noticed that pacing yourself and just having fun with the environment is the way to go rather than trying to get all the missions done as fast as possible. You'll drive yourself crazy with all the driving.

Make sure to do the gun shop missions whenever you can since doing them unlocks weapons. And if you need diamonds do the cell phone tower assassinations since they give you quite a few for a relatively simple mission.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

2) Immortals gain abilities by either skill linking with a non-Immortal character or by equipping items. After every battle you gain skill points, so while you're not going to grind for level you might want to take some time to gain skills. Non-Immortal characters gain skills from equipping items, but only as long as they have that item equipped. Important note: you can switch equipment in battle if necessary.

3) Most enemies in the game are one of four element types; earth, fire, wind, water. Earth is strong against water. Wind is strong against earth. Fire is strong against wind. Water is strong against fire.

Other then that, install the game to your hard drive as it cuts loading down a lot.

Non-immortals gain new skills by leveling up as well.

A good reminder for combat is that you are allowed to change your equipment at any time during your turn with no penalty and you're pretty much expected to do so to win fights.

Also for the first couple of areas make sure you explore everywhere before going to the boss because the game will make sure you have the right skills and equipment to fight them so you'll find the stuff you need somewhere in the area. For example, the second boss in the game can cast a spell that causes Paralyze. In the area right before the boss you can find an item that allows you to get the Anti-Paralyze skill which makes you immune to it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Abugadu posted:

Going for some new games and some old games, any tips for:

Fable II

There are two Point of No Return moments in the game, once around half way through and once for the end of the game. The half way point is rather obvious, while for the end just be careful doing the quest for the third hero.

The best way to make money is to just start buying property. Basically, you want to just buy any and every piece of property you can.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ydaetskcoR posted:

I recently grabbed Mass Effect from ebay for pretty cheap. Any tips for that?

Its best to chose a "mixed" class since it will allow you to keep the main character well rounded. Don't worry too much about not being able to use certain weapons as the pistol is really, really effective. Certain Achievements unlock bonuses for your next play through so make sure to keep an eye on those if you want to maximize unlocking.

You really want to try to get the Rich Achievement as it will let you purchase SPECTRE gear which are the best weapons in the game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sunday Punch posted:

Infamous just arrived in the mail, lay your wisdom upon me!

If you're ever hurting for power or health you can always just start zapping something metal until it has a good amount of electricity around it and then drain that. It won't give you a lot but it will usually give you enough to heal.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Breakdown for XBox
I'm borrowing an XBox since mine is dead and I have about a week to beat this and Chronicles of Riddick. Riddick I think I have down well enough, but I don't think I even finished the tutorial of this before my XBox died. Any tips for beating it quickly?

Don't be afraid to turn it down to easy because the game is HARD AS HELL. Other than that there's not really a lot to miss as the game is pretty straightforward.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Dear god, you're not kidding. I think I'll need to get used to dodging and blocking.

The game gets a bit easier as your powers start to advance.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dissolusion posted:

So for party mates, is it really not extremely important who you pick? I'm a soldier, but almost always bring Garrus and Wrex (occasionally Kaidan), because they are simply the coolest motherfuckers in space.

Since you're a soldier I'd recommend against having Wrex because while he's cool he doesn't add anything to the party make-up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

Another Fallout 3 question.

Is there any good, dependable way to get more bobby pins? I'm down to 6 and none of the merchants in Rivet, Megaton or Tenpenny sell them.

Some feral ghouls will have bobby pins but the best way to use them is to to try to keep what you have from breaking. Basically when picking a lock just try two positions and if those fail go ahead and exit out and then reenter. Bobby pins will only break after the third attempt so while this might be a little time consuming it will make it easier for you to preserve how many you have until you build up a better stockpile.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

This. This is helpful.

Well they'll also break if you just hold it in a position that's wrong for too long so the second it gives resistance make sure to let go.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gynovore posted:

Take pictures. TAKE PICTURES. TAKE PICTURES!!!!!!! Spend your last dollar on film if you're running low.

Something to keep watch for is if you haven't maxed out the machine research, make sure to take pictures of turrets and such BEFORE you hack them as once they become friendly they don't count anymore.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jarrik posted:

Got a copy of Beyond Good & Evil (finally)...any advice is appreciated.

Its a fairly straightforward game so don't really worry about anything and just play through it naturally. The only advice I can think of is for the end boss as after a certain point it will reverse your controls which the game doesn't let you know and can get you killed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Foul Fowl posted:

Ah, awesome. Really glad money won't be a problem. Thanks. :)

Don't worry about the super expensive weapons that you won't really use too much like the minigun as they're unlocked once you beat the game. So just save them up for any replays. Also don't forget to get the new ending DLC (which is free) but go ahead and play the original ending first.

Also, while the RPG looks cool it is of almost no use and you're going to want a sniper rifle to do the co-op shots so don't bother with it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

Counterpoint: I found the RPG usseful as a get out of Heavy free card.

Yeah but you can get the underbarrel grenade launcher which works just as well as it will knock a heavy down and you can finish it off with bullets.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Scalding Coffee posted:

Anything I should know about Super Mario Galaxy? I never played a Mario game where you replay the same stages with a different gimmick.

Don't bother going out of your way for extra lives as the game doesn't save them at all. So you get a bunch, quit and come back you'll just have 5. I'm not exactly sure why they even put the lives system in the game in the first place as if you lose them all nothing happens.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Twitch posted:

I'm getting Metroid Prime Trilogy tomorrow. Is there anything that I really need to know before playing that series (I play on playing them in order), or is it better to just jump in cold?

The games only really loosely tie together so if you get stuck on one don't be afraid to switch to a different game. Especially if you get frustrated with 2 as its the hardest one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zero democracy posted:

I just picked up Lost Odyssey. Any spoiler free pointers so I don't end up completely loving myself and giving up mid-game? It seems pretty badical so far.

Make sure to check everywhere in an area before you go to the boss because the early ones usually have something that will help in the fight.

If you start getting tiny amounts of experience in fights then you're at the right level for that area and move on.

The game is pretty big on elemental weaknesses so make sure to switch out your equipment in fights to maximize your effectiveness.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cactus posted:

I'm about to start playing Prototype. Any tips/things to avoid that'll lessen the game experience?

Don't bother buying any of the "Combat abilities" as they mostly suck and are for non-power related combat. Which you'll almost never do as the powers are too useful to not use and the only drawback is that they make you instantly recognizable as Mercer which isn't really an issue.

Also don't bother buying the level 2 Stealth Consume as it doesn't seem to do anything at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

al-azad posted:

If you have a PS1 and you like Zelda I whole heartedly recommend Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen. The design document for that game had to have been "Put vampires in Link to the Past and add a spell that literally rips people's skin off leaving a bloodied skeleton."

I believe they just put this onto the PS3 store so you can download it without having to find it used somewhere online.