Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Just started King's Field: The Ancient City yesterday. So far I've wandered around and died a lot, but I managed to find a save point and I have a few pieces of equipment. The slowness and the controls are fairly off-putting, I'm going to try mapping the look directions to the face buttons and the actions to the shoulder buttons when I get home since you can't just map them to the right stick afaik (up/down works, but not side to side). I've played through Demon's Souls a few times so I'm used to dying a lot. So far I've only managed to kill a small spider.

I also rented Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom, but I'm less worried about that. Unless there's something you can miss that'll completely screw me over or something to that effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

limp_cheese posted:

Always remember XCom will gently caress you over in the stupidest ways imanageable. That is part of the game. Just roll with it.

I was doing a VIP rescue mission once, had lost 1 or 2 soldiers but had the VIP and most everyone else a move away from the evacuation zone. The guy 2 moves away walked through some poison cloud left by a dead Thin Man I think, got panicked, shot another guy which panicked him, and even though he only had a lovely pistol on him he managed to shoot the VIP in the head from like 12 squares away with cover in between them :xcom:

Sure, you could save scum, but that's not in the true spirit of it.

Anyway, tips, there was a massive thing about how overwatch works somewhere, and why most times you should have your team end with hunkering down if they still have an action. Mainly if an alien is in overwatch and knows it, it won't move and change cover, and will shoot at you. If they don't see it, indicated by the alien head icons on the screen, they might run by and get shot. Going into overwatch with them seeing it typically results in them killing your guys because all they'll do is shoot from cover, hence why hunkering down is generally a better choice between the two. Overwatch is helpful when flanking them or if they're near a car that's about to blow up or something.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I discovered a slight "gotcha" in Far Cry 4 last night I think.

There's a skill that is unlocked by clearing out 2 Outposts without being detected. You can repeat Outposts, but doing so doesn't count. I already cleared the southern area but did so all guns-a-blazing and the Outposts are getting harder to complete so I might be hosed, I'll probably just have to try and if I gently caress up run away and hope it resets or whatever.

So my advice is to do the first couple Outposts stealthy as gently caress since they're easier with less area, alarms, and guards. The first one I think is a tutorial, couldn't seem to even redo it, but there's one a bit down the road from the first hub place for instance that's just a weigh station I think. There's a small cliff near it that you can use to just shoot everyone with arrows as they come to look at the last guy's body. Alternatively you could just be better at stealth than me and not have to worry about this issue.

Edit:

gohuskies posted:

If you really need to clear out an outpost undetected, get in the gyrocopter with the M79 grenade launcher as your sidearm. Get up high over the outpost and rain down explosions. If you're high enough, the enemies can never see you but you can see them. You can clear an outpost undetected in 30 seconds like this. It's fun the first time or two but not much of a challenge compared to doing it the honest way.

Well drat, I've done that before but clearly wasn't high enough. I'll keep that in mind after I get to the northern part, thanks.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 26, 2014

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

PantsBandit posted:

So after putting about 4 hours into Prison Architect, I now have a prison that WOULD be functional if not for the constant riots and general chaos that pervades it. I think I'm just going to need to start a new prison rather than try and salvage this one, but before I do does anyone have any tips?

Here's my current prison for reference: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=441407843l

Yes I know some of the cells are weirdly sized, just ignore that.

A lot of rioting problems can be mitigated with tweaking the schedule and adjusting punishments accordingly. Sometimes there's an issue with prisoners getting to a thing on time to actually do it, like the showers, or eating. You already have the showers next to the Canteen, and scheduling showers before eating is a common trick.

Other things:
-Make sure to check Grants and get those done, you'll get more money and they provide a direction for you to head in.
-Having your security chief's office near the cells seems odd. I forget if snitches have to go there or the Security Office to check in though.
-Make sure you meet requirements for rooms, if you hover over them they should say what they are. Several of yours are too small by the looks of it.
-Solitary cells can be 1 square, they only require a solitary cell door, toilets are optional, but should keep those prisoners in better spirits.
-I can't tell how many guards you have but it doesn't look like enough, that might be the cause of the riots by itself.
-Architecturally you need to make it easier for prisoners to get places, long cell blocks that have dead ends don't help. Try leaving room for hallways between cell blocks and other areas, block them off with a large cell door, right-click and leave it open, it'll just be for lock-downs basically.

Overall it seems like a lot of your problems are just money related. Selling that prison and using that money to make another can help, doing the Grants should set you up well enough though. Also it's been a bit since I played, so hopefully I'm not just dead wrong about a lot of this :ohdear:...I don't remember there being a Reception room for instance.

Edit: Oh, didn't realize that was actually a link to the prison, thought it was just a screenshot. I can mess around with it more later if it'd help.

Edit2: Also Tab cycles through items on the same tile, and the PA thread is here if you haven't already bothered with it.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 12, 2015

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

PantsBandit posted:

Thanks for the help! I feel like the game would greatly benefit from a more involved tutorial. Just showing you how to build a room and then throwing you in the deep end seems a bit much. It would be cool if, for example, your staff members would give you suggestions based on issues in the prison.

Oh, and it'd be nice if you could influence the difficulty. Maybe make it so the prisoners are less needy when you're first starting, so that you can focus on building your prison the way you want it without having to worry about them smashing their toilets up.

I started a second prison last night (]) and, while I think it's put together more efficiently, I'm already running into money issues and my danger level is high. Think I'm just going to sell it and start over again.
Difficulty is found by increasing or decreasing the flow of prisoners, you can actually turn off the new arrivals.

It's still early access and a better tutorial is planned I believe, but yeah, it's sorta problematic right now.

Edit: Okay, played it again for a few hours to get a feel for the new junk, not much there really, they did move the bureaucracy button up to the top (the little warden), so that's something. That's basically your tech tree, make a bunch of offices to hire the staff that research junk starting with the warden. The Accountant can let you do an extra grant at a time, the Foreman opens up grounds keeping which you can use for selling lumber. It looks like you might just need more guards that are deployed to each place appropriately to help with riots. To further help with money you can lean on the Holding Cell for a while and just save up to build cells. Your cells are larger than they need to be, 2x3, which if you get the lawyer can be reduced to 1x3 easily.

Abuse the hell out of the planning tool.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 13, 2015

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Pierzak posted:

Anything for Spec Ops: The Line?

-Don't play the multiplayer
-Game is a little rough on purpose but serviceable and mostly straight forward
-Pay close attention, things will subtly change over time
-I think there's a few QTEs so don't check out during cutscenes but I might be misremembering
-Don't check out during cutscenes anyway, the game is story driven and pretty good
-Remember: You are a good person :)

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

limp_cheese posted:

If you ever get to a point where the game tells you to do something, it is ok to just say no and turn off the game. It was designed for that to be an option. You won't finish the story or know what happens, but sometimes that is preferable.

gohuskies posted:

Pretend the game had been made with the "Quit Game" option on the main menu labeled as "Leave Dubai" instead.

Pretty sure that was an actual option with a cutscene and everything during development, but the people in QA kept picking it and not getting to the end.

The game is fairly unique in that it's hard to play, not because of mechanics or difficulty, but because of what you do in it. It sorta seems odd that it makes the game good.

Also yeah, there's a lot of loading screens with interesting text and stuff that I ended up missing due to not dying and also having the game installed on an SSD.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Ekster posted:

Only thing I can remember is that you can't unlock all the fast travel towers from the start until you have the necessary upgrades for them. Unfortunately, the game doesn't really tell you which you can and can't unlock at any given point, so don't break your head over how to get in a tower if the solution isn't somewhat obvious.

Either I completely missed fast travel in the game or you're thinking of Arkham Origins.

I can think of a few more tips but most of them are spoilers or partly spoilers. At any rate the game has a back-up save system so you can revert if you get stuck or something, so it's pretty much a non-issue.

Oh, the Batmobile stuff is fairly front-loaded in the game, so that'll die down a bit after a while, prioritizing upgrades for it is probably a good idea.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

paco650 posted:

I made a little album for you. The pictures are worth about 1000 words each, which is good because I don't want to type them all. You're right though, the game is crazy convoluted but becomes very fun very fast when you simply let go of trying to make sense of things.

Every time there's a steam sale lately I see this game for about $2.50 and think about getting it for a long time and then I just don't for whatever reason, usually because I have other stuff to play that doesn't look completely insane complexity wise.

However this post makes me want to give it a shot now.

Kanfy posted:

Shinji is a man of tradition and throws killer weekend parties.

And this post makes me hesitant once again :wtc:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Saint Freak posted:

Sometimes you'll want to verify that your legs are still attached and working good. Always remember it is the "V" key for leg Verification.

Okay I'm back in.

Kanfy posted:

It shouldn't, it doesn't exactly represent the rest of the game. E.Y.E is a weird-rear end thing in many ways and worth experiencing especially since it's so cheap. It's one of those games that either really clicks or doesn't at all so it's worth seeing which one it ends up being.

I was sorta joking, unless like a vast majority of the logs are like that one or something. It's probably a game I'll like but I'll end up only playing like 5~10 hours of it and then just never touching it again like a lot of games in my Steam library...I have a problem.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Quarex posted:

Wait

I do not follow how the game was designed to that be an option if it does not have some sort of secret "you quit because we threw something horrible at you" cutscene. Or maybe it does.

I mentioned it before but it used to have a cutscene and everything but the testers kept not finishing the game. If you're already past the point of feeling like you should stop I feel like there is closure waiting for you at the end but there's like...5 different endings? Some are pretty close to each other though, but I feel the choices you're presented with are clear enough that the ending you'll get will be fitting. Quitting is acceptable though as we've mentioned.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Captain Walker posted:

What should I know about MGSV: The Phantom Pain that wasn't applicable to Ground Zeroes or Peace Walker? I'm already gathering that Fultoning the world is no longer the correct way, because enemies will start shooting down your balloons.

I don't think there's anything that the game doesn't explain to you well enough when it comes up. I've played for probably 20 hours and haven't run into them shooting down balloons though, but it is a thing, probably for later areas, or maybe I'm just doing it stealthily enough. I think the map or mission screen has indicators that show what tactics the local guards are using (e.g. night preparedness, helmets, balloon popping, etc). It's mentioned in-game, but if you really, really want to kidnap someone you can call in the chopper and load them up for a guaranteed capture.

Zaphod42 posted:

MGSV literally just came out. For games like that you're better off reading the specific MGSV thread that is very active, I bet the OP has all the info you want. If not you would get more asking in there.

Some people are deathly afraid of spoilers.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Some more MGSV stuff:
  • Once you get to the point that you can make multiples of struts at Motherbase it might be for the best to upgrade the Command Center first as it increases the personnel capacity for all the struts.
  • Guards are fairly adaptable to your bullshit although I think it takes a bit for them to actually adapt, like maybe if you leave the area or complete a side-op or mission. So those tactics that they use which are indicated on the map screen are a result of your actions. Use headshots a lot and they'll get helmets, attack at night a lot and they'll get flashlights, and other things like bullet proof vests, shotguns, machine guns, security cameras (I think, I haven't seen one yet, but that's the icon for stealth deterrence), etc. They'll also start investigating things in pairs if you like to split them up.
  • So you can either try changing up your tactics OR once you get a Combat division you can eventually send them on OPs to destroy the enemy's supplies (helmets, vests, guns, etc).
  • If you're gonna want to capture Quiet you're probably gonna want to have a tranquilizer sniper rifle, so prioritizing the development of one once you hear guards mentioning some mystery woman might be in your best interests.
  • To that end there's an option to re-auto-assign everyone in Motherbase, so if you move a bunch of people around to departments that aren't their specialty to up the levels for development projects, it's easily undone. Although you'll still have to move the direct contract people you've locked down, or at the very least Miller and Ocelot who are direct contracts by default I think.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Nah, you can beat Quiet lethally and still recruit her.

Well poo poo, there's a decent tip I guess. It's not super hard to get the tranq rifle prior to that fight though if you do a bunch of side-ops and it's useful otherwise.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I was worried lethal would kill her right off but it looked like wearing her down the other way would take forever so I just shot her

3 headshots with the tranq rifle knock her out. Most of the fight was me flanking her. We should probably avoid being any more specific about this kind of stuff, while I agree stuff like getting "spoiled" on what music is in a game is sorta silly, describing boss battles counting as spoilers makes more sense.

Real hurthling! posted:

supply drop her on the head twice guys. Free S rank without moving

Hahaha, holy poo poo, that's amazing.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 3, 2015

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Centipeed posted:

I think the MGS 5: Phantom Pain wiki page might be the fastest we've ever gotten to a page of that size after a game's release.

Also if anyone noticed any funny business with the wiki today, it's because I was updating MediaWiki.

I know a few people including myself have basically mainlined the game and already put in 20 hours or more within the first 48 hours, so that might be why. Another tip might be that the game is addictive and to be careful of that, but probably not, we're probably just weirdos :v:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Zaphod42 posted:

That'd make sense if this was the "post the game you're really into right now" thread, but since its the "what should I know before I play" thread, that doesn't really explain it.

The real answer: Its a very popular game and also fairly complicated.

Now, the MGS5 thread exploding with pages, sure that's because of poopsockers like you. But this thread? Nah.

I meant that's why there is a lot of info, usually this close to the game's release there isn't that much info because people haven't played enough of the game but okay.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
MGS5: Boxes are super versatile, like you can put posters on them, leave them around as a decoy, but you can also stand up in them, run, and then hit the dive button and slide around in it or sled down hills. I don't know what the tactical application of this is but it's fun to do.

Also there are cracks in cliff-sides and maybe buildings you can climb that are easily missed that tend to make for good shortcuts.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

juliuspringle posted:

Without spoiling anything plotwise as I've never played either what should I know for Max Payne 3 and Far Cry 3?

If you find a tv playing a latin american soap opera it's worth it to watch it for a bit in MP3.

Do side stuff in FC3 to unlock poo poo you want, like if you get annoyed with only carrying 1 or 2 weapons and want to get more holsters, hunt down whatever animal it is you need to craft more. I'm pretty sure this is spelled out in the crafting menu, it is in 4 at least, so just poke around in there.

Overall I don't think there's a whole lot you can do to screw yourself in those games. If you like playing FC3 and like the 80s, then get Blood Dragon.

Edit: Far Cry 3 has a wiki entry, there's a few things that you can screw yourself out of that I forgot about mentioned in the last point.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 8, 2015

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Yet another MGS 5 tip: There is sort of a point-of-no-return in the late game, Mission 43 41 (edit:gently caress, looked it up and I was wrong about which mission starts the chain of events). Without spoiling what happens I'd say it would probably be a good idea to do any side-ops, redo any missions you want to get a higher rank on, etc prior to doing Mission 43 41.

For those that want a more specific explanation it's a late game spoiler but you won't be able to use Quiet after this at all, unless you're on PC, then you can mod her back in if you want.

At any rate it's a "gotcha" that I wish I had known about.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 18, 2015

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don't want to mouse over the spoiler above you in case it ruins any story stuff (not that I'm suuuuuper invested in MGS 5's weird loose story, but still) but can you give me an idea of what kind of gear you want to bring into that mission to be prepared? I've definitely been burned by surprise boss/miniboss fights and not having the proper type of weapon with me, so I'm not thrilled about the idea of going into one with the wrong gear if I can't leave it once I'm in it.

Just a vague tip like "bring a machine gun and a rocket launcher" would be good, I don't need to know why I'll need it.

They're confused and thinking of another mission, the one I mentioned starts a chain leading to the one their talking about, Mission 45. For Mission 43 you don't have to worry about load-out at all, but when you do get to Mission 45 then yeah, you'll want a good rocket launcher, battle dress, mines, etc. When I did that mission I had my basic load-out and it was a major pain-in-the-rear end, yes.

For those wondering Mission 43 specifically is the one where you investigate the mutated parasite strain in the Quarantine strut. After doing that Quiet leaves, unless you have the butterfly emblem equipped or some poo poo apparently, but that might lock out the rest of her stuff, I dunno.

Edit: Wait, gently caress, I'm wrong. I looked it up and it's Mission 41 that starts the chain. I don't remember but the game might railroad you into doing Mission 43 after doing 41 and that triggers the rest.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 18, 2015

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

klaphark posted:

I also have a pillars of eternity question. Which companions are the most fun/interesting? I just got the 'you found all the companions ' achievement and now I'm not sure who to dump.

Unfortunately there's more interesting companions than there are party slots regardless., but IIRC Aloth and Sagani are generally regarded as the more boring companions, but it's fairly subjective anyway. Like having a wizard is pretty handy and I like Sagani personally, especially the conversations she has with Eder. Durance seems like a prime candidate for the bench until you start talking with him and then he becomes a lot more interesting. It is a mild conundrum that is sorta dependent on your character's class.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I might need some advice for Spintires.

I played it for a while last night after grabbing it on the Humble Bundle for 9 bucks and I was fairly confused. I think the map I started on can actually be changed, I'll look into that later, but it was Flood and it was a pain. Looks like I need to make 8 lumber deliveries but I couldn't find a truck that'd haul lumber, and the garage was locked until I got 4 garage delivery points (?) and I don't know what I should be doing. I found all the trucks on the map, none of them seem like logging trucks, and I cleared all the fog of war stuff. Do I need to start on easier maps and unlock the garage and logging truck or something?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Internet Friend posted:

At the starting garage you can add trailers and equipment to your trucks. To unlock new garages you need to carry 4 garage points from the starting one and unload them at the new one. You can do it in one trip with a 4 point trailer or two with a two pointer. Likewise you can hook up lumber trailer to a large truck at the garage.

Could've sworn there wasn't a starting garage, might be that map, or is the delivery destination the garage? Cause I started on the road right next to that. Either way I'll figure it out if that's the way it's supposed to be, thanks.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Internet Friend posted:

I hadn't played Flood since it's something they added to the game but I took a look. Those covered trailers that some of the trucks start with are worth 2 garage points each so your first goal is to get them to the garage.

Haha, they got stuck on some stumps and I ditched them, that shows me. I know I could've winched them free but I decided they were probably more of a hindrance than anything, whoops.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Anyone want some Fallout 4 tips I've come across?

-You can store all your junk materials at a workshop to be broken down to component parts as need be
-Pre-War money is considered junk but is still valuable, do NOT do the above unless you're in dire need of its components
-You can sort inventory when transferring stuff based on things like weight, value, damage, etc (sorting by value could help with the above)
-Sprinting in power armor drains the battery quicker, don't do that
-Headgear bonuses are nullified in power armor, so take the helmet off and put your sunglasses on if you're trying to pass a Charisma check or whatever
-Weapon mods you replace go into your inventory, their weight can add up so watch out for that
-You can pause and save during conversations now, save scum away
-The critical hit bonus thing you build up in VATS won't miss, so you can use this to hit something super far away and cripple or kill it with ease
-You can take mods off of guns you find, but I haven't messed with it yet, you might have to craft the base mod first but maybe that's free, if not it's probably cheaper anyway
-You can tag materials you need, so like I tagged copper because I want to wire poo poo up, so now when I look at a lamp that can be broken down for copper there's a little magnifying glass next to its name
-I noticed that my mostly empty fusion core (power armor battery) sold for the same price as a fully charged one, so never let those completely deplete if you can as I suspect an empty is worthless
-There's an auto-save setting where you set a timer (default 10 minutes) and after that time is up the next time you look at your Pipboy and back out of the menu it'll save
-PC specific: Instead of holding V to enter the build menu you can hold the center mouse button/wheel if you want

Edit: VV Holy poo poo, thank you!

Brightman fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 11, 2015

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Geirskogul posted:

In fallout 4, the vegetable paste food you make can be broken down into 5 adhesive. Requires like carrots and another fruit and purified water, but purified water generators automatically fill your workbench with water and vegetables are easy mode.

Well I'm gonna have to look into that after work tonight since I have basically turned all of Sanctuary's old playground into a farm and have a few water pumps. Renewable adhesive will be nice.

Also I checked, and it's probably in a tutorial pop-up I ignored, but power armor depletes battery when you run, sprint, use VATS, or use a power attack. Pretty sure fast travel is fine, so if you're sneaking around a bunch it should be fine to use it without wasting too much battery life.

-You can equip Dogmeat with stuff by giving him like a bandana, highlighting it in his inventory, and pressing T (not sure what that is on consoles but there should be prompt for it at the bottom of the screen that says "equip")
-Assigning people jobs at settlements is sorta janky, you highligh them and press use while in the build menu, then highlight the job related thing and hit use again. When you highlight a settler the thing they're assigned to will also be highlighted, most seem to default to farming in my experience
-Removing mods from armor is free, so if you're not going to use it remove all its mods and scrap it. Same for gun muzzle attachments, but the rest tend to cost unless you have a stock of various standard mods.
-Wearing a nice suit, hat, and sunglasses can easily net you +4 charisma which as it turns out is a lot more important for speech checks than I thought, so get a nice outfit together for city/town shenanigans
-After 200 years they have finally improved the rules for baseball

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Mayor McCheese posted:

Anything for Kerbal Space Program? Did all the tutorials and am going to try the career mode.

Symmetry is (usually) key. Once you get used to the game building severally asymmetrical things that work can be fun.

Rectus posted:

If it doesn't go fast enough, strap more rockets on it. If it falls apart add more struts. :jeb:

Basically always this: more rockets, more duct tape. With enough SRBs anything is possible.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
To add to that for Batman: Arkham Knight:

-The big annoyance with 100% is Riddler Puzzles, but unless you aren't doing the ones you find as you go, it should take like maybe 4 hours to hunt them all down
-To alleviate that Riddler stuff carries over into NG+, so if you do that, then it won't be much of a thing
-Riddler Informants sometimes don't spawn unless you've been fighting random street thugs, so do that if you're having trouble finding one
-Visit the police evidence lock up when you get a chance, there's something there for you
-When you visit Robin there's something for you that's completely optional but helpful on a table to the left as you enter the room
-One particular annoying puzzle involves a LOT of targets and a pressure pad for the Batmobile, look behind you and up and you should be able to figure it out, otherwise it seems juuuuuust out of reach and can be super frustrating
-The Batmobile stuff is sorta front loaded, so if you're hating it at the start it eventually gets less and less required usage. If you like it like me though then you can continue using it a bunch.
-Go into options and look around for something like Battle Mode Toggle I think, makes the Batmobile controls more sane, e.g. triggers for acceleration/braking, and battle mode is a toggle instead of a hold.
-The drift button for corners: use it before the turn and just tap it, I find that makes it easier to make a 90° turn
-Battle mode can be used to stop the Batmobile instantly
-One of the characters that randomly shows up throughout the game usually says 3 quips before going away (this is vague on purpose and it'll make sense later, also it's not like important but if you like them it's worth it to hang around for a few seconds).
-Oh, side mission things don't immediately give you the location, but will after enough time has passed or something, however you can still happen across them. It's sorta weird and sometimes it's something you can figure out but yeah, it's not like a glitch or anything.

Edit: VV Honestly don't think I knew that...huh.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 17, 2015

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

juliuspringle posted:

That stuff I get (though good to know about Melee) I'm wondering things like can people steal stuff from my house, is it better to breakdown everything in a house or leave it there for someone who might move in, basically the base building aspect.

Maybe it was patched but it seems like Settlers sometimes steal weapons, but I think that's only if you also store ammo since they need at least one bullet to use a gun, but ammo is weightless, so just always have all the ammo on you. I haven't noticed any theft myself, but some people swear it's happened.

Gerblyn posted:

- You need to make power lines from generators to electrical devices. These cost copper, which is kind of rare, so try and be economical

This is actually going away, current beta patch or maybe even current patch made it free.

Also yeah, the perk system is different than what we had but it does allow for specialized, crazy builds, they're just going to be different. Like there's a perk for upping pistol damage, one for single shot rifles, and one for automatics. Doesn't matter if the single shot is a shotgun, sniper rifle, plasma rifle, whatever, it'll get the bonus.

Most of the perks have multiple ranks, and some of those ranks have basically secondary perks. Like I think rank 3 or something of Sneak gives you Light Step and you won't trigger floor traps, rank 4 of Strong Back let's you fast travel while encumbered, etc.

Here's a tool you can gently caress with for character builds: http://www.levelbased.com/guides/fallout-4/tools/special hovering over each perk will show you what each rank does, and yeah, you start with fewer points to put into Special, but you can always burn a perk to increase a Special stat similar to Intense Training.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah going a few points into INT early game is extremely powerful and I would recommend everybody do it unless you take idiot savant, which is nearly as good (fairly OP). If you do take idiot savant than you want to do the opposite and leave your INT as low as possible for the entire game.

Note that some fun stuff like nuclear physicist requires high INT, so if you plan on using power armor a lot you should do the high-INT strategy early so you see lots of XP payoff. Otherwise commit to the idiot savant early on so you maximize how many random XP bonuses you get.

Worth noting that even with 10 Int the Perk Idiot Savant can still pay off, I believe the actual difference between Int 1 and 10 for it's effectiveness is something silly like 5%.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Zaphod42 posted:

Idiot Savant does still give you a bonus at 10 int, but its very minor compared to the bonus at 1. That's wrong, its definitely more than 5% difference.

Int 1 with idiot savant L1 is the same as Int 8-9

Int 10 with idiot savant L1 is the same as Int 12

So you can see its massive diminishing returns as you gain int, but its still worth taking at 10 int if you want more XP.

Sorry I think I meant frequency since it activator randomly, or is that what that graph is? Point is don't take idiot savant and dump int just because of it.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Anything for MLB The Show '16? Maybe just in general for The Show besides what's on the wiki for '09, which doesn't seem to fully apply anymore due to changes in mechanics. I haven't played any of these games ever, played a bit last night but spent the majority of my time customizing poo poo in Diamond Dynasty and Road to the Show.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Kenny Logins posted:

I just finished the main campaign of Dying Light (taking a break before The Following) and figured I'd add a bit to what's on the wiki:

- Do side quests. The writing is often much better than the main story and the rewards are often quite good. You can preview your rewards to decide which side quest to do first.
- The companion app is worthwhile eventually as you can eventually access really good weapon upgrades more reliably than they're found in the main game. You could just as easily give it a pass though.
- Getting ranks in Sturdiness (all the way up to 3, or 175 total health) is one of the only things that can save you from being one-shotted by exploders or endure being chewed up by a human with an assault rifle. Prioritize it in the mid-game at latest. Regeneration is pretty worthless, even upgraded it will never save you.
- Pre-grappling hook, Light Drop and Forward Roll really reduce frustration in traversal. Post-grappling hook they let you be more fast and loose with hookshotting around and have more fun.
- Throwing melee weapons or power-attacking with a one-hander are really situational at best and pretty slow. Even two-handed weapons are kind of too slow to use well.
- Falling to your death (during the day) results in much less lost Survivor XP than being killed by zombies, in case you ever have a rock-and-a-hard-place decision to make.
- You'll start with basically nothing for weapons, but keep bugging your two quartermasters (in the Towers, and Spike down the street) for daily re-ups and you'll get the materials to make a basic craftable weapon that will take you places early on.
- Most of the craftable weapon special effects are no great shakes, but impact is pretty fun. It's hard to get it in any great quantity on non-two-handed weapons though. Electricity is effective but it can zap you a bit too if you're too close, and burning's even worse for that. Toxic is just ok but it's not a liability at least. Craft weapons more with an eye for damage/handling/durability boosts.
- Bows are a good combination of ranged weapon and special effects all in one slot but its stopping power really falls off in the mid-game as zombies get tougher. Throwing stars with the same effects are eventually a quicker and better option, and they're craftable much earlier.
- DIY grenades aren't so great either, and they're really loud. Most of the craftable potions you can get via perks or side quests aren't really worth much of anything, nor are the flammable/conductive fluids, once you get going. Crafting is best for medkits, firecrackers, molotovs, melee weapons and not much else.
- Guns aren't very useful outside due to their loudness, but shotguns are strong enough to be worth keeping around 24/7 and are also your main workhorses indoors.
- I don't think it was made so clear but you can only repair a weapon from X to full durability a set number of times. Color-coded weapons really just signify greater numbers of times they can be repaired. Orange is the highest and best but does not necessarily mean high damage by default. Accordingly, save your ++ durability weapon upgrades for orange or purple weapons.
- Always break down your cheapo weapons for metal parts. If you take advantage of a particular easter egg weapon or two you'll need lots of metal parts. The easter egg weapons are well-balanced enough to make the early game easier but they drop off mid-end game so don't be shy about looking up how to get them if you're not having fun.
- Build Survivor XP by bringing in supply drops (ideally at night, or from underwater) or rescuing dudes in random encounters. Build Agility by unlocking traversal perks that give you more ways to earn it, particularly at night. Build Power by having a zombie kick-party near a spiky object that will instantly kill them if they so much as touch it, and by eventually getting the kill streak perk. There's no real rush to max out any of these trees but you'll want to get Survivor high enough for that grappling hook ASAP.

-Pick the locks to police cars/vans, I found some really nice guns in those vehicles, including a police rifle that I found early on that never got topped for damage output all throughout the main game.
-Get the perk that lets you smash downed enemies' heads asap, it's super handy.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Yeah, that is sort of a bad tip, I usually did it the way you described and it was a lot more enjoyable. I think maybe just doing it in the recommended order but alternating between missions instead of whole arcs works out well. I might've done the last few missions for each arc all in one go though, like the last 2 or 3.

Another SR2 tip: jump on top of a car before you steal it, there's a glitch that just teleports you into the car when you hit Triangle/Y/whatever if you're on top of it. At least this worked in the PS3 version last I played.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

1redflag posted:

No Man's Sky?

-Bypass Chips are made of 10 Iron and 10 Plutonium, both of which are super plentiful, Iron is found in most rock formations, Plutonium is red, spiky and often in caves. It's helpful for those beacons that were already mentioned, but you can also craft a bunch and sell them to make bank as they go for like 3500+ or something (market fluctuations, yay).
-More suit slots are nice but they add up, a better ship with more storage is probably a better investment since ship slots can hold stacks of 500 resources and your suit only stacks to 250.
-If you die in space there's a waypoint labeled Grave that goes to your lost cargo that's floating around
-Better standings with an alien species means better deals I think, but also filling out their languages is just super helpful in general
-Vy'Keens seem to be the ones that'll give you good mutlitools if you figure out what they want

-There's a glitch that let's you travel faster on foot that I like to call a jetpack longjump: first start sprinting (R3), then hit melee (R1), and in the middle of that animation hold down the jetpack button (X) and you'll end up going fast enough the terrain will start popping in like it does when you're in the ship. Just watch the meter if you try to go over large gaps so you don't run out before you need to land.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Any tips for Lords of the Fallen? Got it free off PS+, seems okay so far, but I wanna make sure there aren't any gotchas or terrible builds or whatever.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

anilEhilated posted:

Check back in the thread or look up my posts, I wrote it down like three times here.

e: Oh, what the hell, here you go:

- It's not that bad.

- Don't spend your XP on unlocking spells, you can find enough items that give you a spell point to unlock everything (which you don't need anyway)

- Character creation: class determines your starting stuff and equipment, magic type what spells you have access to. You can alter stats, you can't pick another spell school until NG+; that being said, the game is easily beatable without magic.

- Speaking of, every magic type has a decoy spell, a ranged attack and a self-buff. They aren't necessary but if you find a spell you like, it can make your life a lot easier. If you want to focus on magic, it's probably best to take the deception school: Stab is probably the best offensive move and Shift makes you go invisible and do crazy backstab damage.

- The combat is slow. If you want the maximum bang for your buck, focus on slow, heavy weapons, killing a boss with knives will take a while.

- You'll find the ranged weapon pretty early in the game and it's mostly independent of stats (damage scales with faith but you can customize it for other purposes). The flip side is that it goes in your shield hand so if you want to use it, you'll have to rely on dodging.

- If you beat a boss while fulfilling a special condition, you get a slighly better version of their weapon; look those up in a guide if you want them. With the first one it's taking no damage.
- If you have trouble with a boss, try poison. Some enemies are immune but it's an amazing way to cheese most of the game.

- Explore, backtrack. The game world is pretty small but chock-full of secrets. Also, characters that give you quests usually aren't too helpful regarding the location of what they send you to find.

- Early on in the game you'll encounter a monk dying from a poisoned bite. Cut off his hand; you'll meet him again later on that way. Letting him die has no benefits whatsoever.

- In the first building, you'll probably find an item called "Shard of Heroes" which the game is supremely unhelpful about. It doesn't come into play until you fight the second boss: the arena they're in has three statues. You can either kill the boss and use the shard at one of the statues to change your class to that and reallocate any stats you added OR you can insert the shard in one of the statues before/during the battle and then lure the boss into breaking it. After the battle, you'll find a pretty good weapon for the class of the statue you used. If you want the item and didn't get the statue broken or the shard in it, there's going to be another boss fight in this arena later on so there's another shot at it.

In addition, if you're new to the whole thing:

- Don't fear death. You learn by dying and the consequences of it are very little. It's a good idea to take a moment and think about what killed you and how to avoid it the next time, though.

- Dodging is almost always better than blocking, but blocking is much easier. Experiment.

- Weapons damage calculation is based on two things: a base damage of the weapon and a scaling based on your stats. Different weapons scale differently so pay attention to the little numbers.

- There's a fuckton of secrets. If you see a locked door, feel free to jot down a note, the game won't remind you about it and is pretty vague about what keys go where.

- You can sort of upgrade your equipment at an NPC you'll meet a bit into the game. There are runes that go into sockets on items. Remember that you can also pull the runes out - so you don't need to save the good ones until you find a weapon you think will last you a long time.

Thanks, apparently search doesn't work like I thought it does since none of that came up :v:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone got anything for the current HITMAN? Just bought in while it's on sale.

-A surprising amount of assassinations can be pulled off with patience and choking/neck breaking at the right time. This is often boring but sometimes the opportunity will fall into your lap.

-Patience is a virtue, if you're going for a high score at least

-Experimentation is good, doing levels over again and completing more challenges unlocks more tools, weapons, starting points, etc

-Contracts mode is user created stuff, it can be pretty fun, you can also make your own fairly easily

-Escalation is just the same short mission over and over with it upping the ante each time like with additional targets, conditions (no non-target kills, hide bodies within a time limit, etc), or obstacles.

-There's a mode called the Sarajevo Six that's basically an additional target in each level, the game recommends doing them after playing through and in order but I'm not sure if that's really necessary.

-Elusive Targets are mildly bullshit since sometimes you can get screwed for dumb reasons and you only have one shot at it once one target is dead, you can restart before that though I think. A decent challenge though.

-There's a gadget that's a phone bomb, you drop it, someone picks it up, you dial it, and when they answer it explodes, has a small range but can take out like anyone standing next to the person with the phone, but the important part is you have to take into account that it takes like 3~5 seconds for them to answer the phone once you trigger it...yes this hosed me over on an Elusive target once, why do you ask?

-If you have instinct mode on there will be a dot over people's heads that will see through your disguise...actually this is in the tutorial, the tutorial is fairly decent come to think of it, it even suggests doing the mission a few different ways

-The game autosaves frequently and that can be a life saver but as was mentioned it's a good idea to make a manual save before you try something that seems risky.

-Steal every tool, knife, can, soda, fruit, etc that you can, not only are they helpful but it's sorta funny to imagine Agent 47 killing a bunch of people then leaving the area with a dozen fresh apricots in his coat.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

credburn posted:

Finally starting Subnautica. I'm surprised it's not on the wiki. My inventory is full and I can't drop anything and I'm dying of thirst o god what do i do
I just started playing last week myself.

-You just right-click on something to drop it while you're not in the Lifepod, and while in the Lifepod there's a storage locker.
-Catch Bladderfish for water, go to the Lifepod, use the fabricator, and it can use the fish to make water.
-Get some titanium and creepvine seeds to make a knife (make silicone rubber and then make a knife), use that on the coral tubes and find salt, it's typically near the Acid Shrooms but can be found elsewhere. Mix the salt and the coral samples to make bleach, use that to make more filtered water.
-From here I'd say just check the recipes in the Fabricator, right away you should've made a repair tool to fix the Lifepod up, it's recipe is under Personal->Tools. You'll often have to make materials to make things, so check ingredients for what you want to make, then check the Resources tabs to see if the ingredients are things you can just make.
-I'd recommend making some Fins, a few air tanks, scanner, flashlight, laser cutter, and builder tool, pretty much in that order. You'll use the scanner to scan parts and things you find on the ocean floor to get blueprints to build more stuff.
-You can also build a radiation suit, but I found one in one of the earlier Lifepods I got a signal about (I think 6 or 7), not sure if those are in an order or random, but they'll pop up in the communications module in the Lifepod.
-The First Aid module in the Lifepod will make first aid kits periodically and will beep when ready. I personally tend to keep two on me just in case and store the rest in a locker.
-You can build a battery recharger, I dumped a bunch of batteries not knowing this, you'll need the Builder Tool and maybe scanned blueprints for it
-At some point you'll get blueprints that let you make various vehicles, and once you get one you should explore a bit farther out, just remember to bring extra batteries, water, and food.
-Cooked food will eventually spoil and be bad to eat, uncooked fish won't afaik. I usually cook enough fish to fill up at the pod, then cook one for the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

ToxicFrog posted:

Resident Evil 5

If playing solo:
- Your AI ally does not understand grenades, and will not use them.
- Your AI ally does understand rifles and is very, very good at using them.
- ...but after every cutscene, they will put away the rifle and not take it back out until you tell them to "attack" (uparrow).

- Your AI ally loves using healing items for paper cuts regardless of how much health said item can replenish (don't let them have healing items)
- Seriously just give them one gun type and don't use it yourself, give them all the ammo for it and it works out pretty well in my experience