Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Keyboard Fox posted:

But it helps to remember that ATK and DEF are actually accuracy and evasion

WHAAAAAT

That would explain why Rouge's attacks have been incredibly weak. In chapter 3, Sonic/Big/Knuckles/Cream seems to be a good lineup. (Also, leaving Cream equipped with Cheese lets you get a ridiculous number of critical/Lucky! hits.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Orfeo posted:

If you look at the Codex

Well there's the problem. I haven't even bothered.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

CloseFriend posted:

Mother 3

Don't forget about the rhythm battle system. If you tap the A (or L) button in time to the music (which varies from enemy to enemy) while performing a normal attack, you can rack up extra hits, up to a maximum of 16 hits total. You can hear the beat you need to match better by putting the enemy to sleep, which lets you hear its "heartbeat", as the game calls it.

The rhythm battle system isn't necessary to use, but a full combo does 2-3x as much damage as a single hit, and it's quite useful earlier in the game, even before the game tells you about it. (It's useful later as well, but the beats are harder to match.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I just thought of another one for Mother 3:

Don't underestimate the usefulness of Duster's Wall Staples (stun) and Hypno-pendulum (sleep). If the staples hit, the enemy will lose at least one round of action, and that can be incredibly useful in boss fights. Boney's Sniff ability is useful too, as it shows you the enemy type and weaknesses.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Abugadu posted:

Any advice on someone about to start Oblivion? I've played Morrowind thoroughly, but am slightly worried about the scaling enemies I've heard so much about.

Get a mod that fixes the leveling system. One of the most popular is Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul.

The way the default leveling system works is this - the more you use your major skills, the faster you level up. Due to this, the monsters can quickly become way too strong for you; the easiest way to counter this is to take skills that you barely use as your major skills.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Abugadu posted:

360 version, no mods :(

So, pretty much pick useless skills as majors?

In that case, you probably want to pick the skills that are hardest to level up as your major skills, because if you pick running/jumping/stealth and skills like that (e.g. skills you use constantly) you'll very quickly run into monsters that are way too hard to beat.

Edit: Also, if you pick up the skeleton key as soon as you can, lockpicking becomes both irrelevant and very easy to level up.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Abugadu posted:

Oblivion

Another thing - you can make the game almost cheatingly easy by enchanting armor/jewelry with chameleon. If your total chameleon equals or exceeds 100%, you are completely invisible to every NPC and monster in the game (unless you talk to them and they are able to respond, such as guards and other demihuman NPCs) even to the point that you can attack them and they won't be able to attack back.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Rirse posted:

Also wouldn't mind some tips for Ghost Master.

Abilities like Boo's Rattle Chains (low-sound abilities) can cause mortals to go to the location where the ability was used to investigate; if you put another haunter in the same room, it makes it a bit easier to get scares. However, abilities like Thunderclap scare way more than they attract.

It's a good idea to locate all the trapped haunters before you bind any of the ones you brought with you, then try to free them as soon as possible. That way, you have them available as well as the ones you brought. Also, there are often multiple ways to release a single haunter.

Don't be afraid to restart a level if you find you picked a haunter that the level lacks fetters for; however, once you get haunters with the Astral Gift ability (or something like that; it makes a gift that mortals like to pick up which can act as a universal fetter) don't be afraid to do just that, but be aware the gift doesn't last forever.

Quake is a strong ability, but it can affect things in negative ways as well; for instance, in the police station level, it opens all the cells. You should wait to use it there until after you have everyone in the cells completely scared. Tremor doesn't open the cells, and in a few parts of some levels, it's actually necessary to complete the level.

In the screen where you're choosing which haunters to take with you for a level, keep in mind that the same ability can cost different amounts of plasm to use on different haunters; the further to the right the tab is, the more the abilities cost to use. Cogjammer and Boo continue to be fairly useful through a good part of the game.

Always see what the game recommends. For the most part, those are probably the best haunters to use on that level, but there a few levels where they're not. (It's almost always a good idea to use Boo, because Rattle Chains is just so useful.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Swiss Army Knife posted:

Left 4 Dead

Survivors
- Don't get too far ahead or behind the rest of your group; this may sound like common sense, but it's also a common mistake. Two of the special infected (including the hunter, the most common one) can disable you, and you need someone else to save you.
- Conversely, if someone else runs ahead or lags behind, it's best if one other person sticks with them.
- Learn where the possible spawn points for level 2 weapons are and don't miss them.
- Witches are much less intimidating when you have an autoshotgun; you can literally just walk up to her and pump 4-5 shells into her before she can get up and maim you.
- Always, always set the tank on fire. A burning tank will die in 30-40 seconds regardless of any other damage done to it.
- Don't miss pipebombs and molotovs, they're amazingly useful.
- If everyone still has medkits and you find some, the person with the lowest health should heal up and grab the medkit.
- Never underestimate the usefulness of pills. The medkit tip also applies to pills.
- If you get to the ending saferoom and others are lagging behind, close the door. It's easy to reopen from the outside, and all doors in the game open both ways.

Infected
- Boomer: Your death explosion doesn't have a very long range, and any active stream of vomit vanishes when you die. Either sneak up on the survivors or get the drop on them. You get credit for damage that normal infected inflict on survivors that are under the effect of your vomit/explosion.
- Smoker: Whenever possible, smoke from a different level than the survivors; either above or below. When you have a chance to target survivors that have been hit by a boomer, go for the one(s) that didn't get hit. If you go for the blind one(s), the others can free them from your tongue easily. Also, don't forget you are quite audible.
- Hunter: The further you travel in the air, the more damage your pounce does. You do significantly more pounce damage when on fire. Your claws do more damage than the smoker or boomer's. Also, you can somewhat blend into a mob of normal infected when not crawling.
- Tank: Don't get set on fire. Don't try to squeeze through small openings. If you can hit survivors with a physics object (glows red while a tank) it will instantly incapacitate them. Also, in the No Mercy finale, you can potentially swat survivors off the roof, killing them instantly.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

McKracken posted:

With KoTR and W-summon and mime you could pretty much break the game.

Moreso if you had a second KotR linked to MP Absorb and another character with Mime. MP Absorb restores more MP than KotR costs to cast, and Mime mimics the entire W-Summon for free. (And if anyone didn't get it, W-Summon = Double You Summon, or Double Summon.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

thestrikeof59 posted:

About to play Majora's Mask for the first time. Any tips?

Playing the song of time backwards makes time pass 1/3 slower for the current cycle. Playing the double song of time (right right A A down down) skips to the next dawn/dusk.

Also, get the bunny hood. It lets you run fast. It was my default mask for the vast majority of the game. Get the Bremen mask from the music box man by the laundry pool around midnight then use it around midnight on the final day at the Romani ranch to gather the chicks, and get the bunny hood.

Chateau Romani goes well with the Goron mask.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

You should also get a Slime Knight, who is basically a copy of the Hero. They are found near Coburg.

Slime Knights are badass at higher levels. Another fun/interesting/good "monster" to use is Dwight Dwarf.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

HedgeHodge posted:

What should I need to know before playing Fallout 3 on the PC? In addition to general game knowledge, I'm wondering about what mods are necessary and what's the best way to go through Fallout 3 and its DLC.

Pay thorough attention to the entire tutorial. (You'll know when you're done with the tutorial.) Also, remember to use VATS whenever possible.

Repair skill is very useful, because weapons degrade faster under VATS, and you'll find loads of extra weapons. Ammo weighs nothing, so pick up all you find.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Chinook posted:

Megaton

Speaking of Megaton, there's a mission focused on Megaton where you get a choice of which path to take; either way, you'll still be able to do Moira's multi-part quests.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Wampa Stompa posted:

I started RE, but had to delete my save because I had accidentally filled up Chris's laughably inadequate inventory with things I couldn't drop.

I'm pretty sure you can get things out of your inventory (outside of using them) by putting them in the chest/trunk/whatever the hell it is. That's pretty much a RE staple. (Assuming I'm thinking of the right series.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Trash Heap posted:

Not to be a dick, but play it online. If any game was designed for online co-op in mind, it was this game.

Seconding this. When this game says "Co-op", think of it being written in 90-foot high concrete letters. The single player experience is nediocre at best, but when you play with other people, the game really shines.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Hob_Gadling posted:

Or spawn a hunter and break down doors and railings. This is especially important in No Mercy map four, in cafeteria.

Very much so; it's a good idea for one hunter to run ahead and break all the doors, railings, and walls that he can before the survivors get to them. Doors break in three swipes or two pounces, but railings take quite a bit more.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

It's been a while since I played it, so the only FFTA2 advice I can really remember is that Assassins aren't anywhere near as overpowered as they were in FFTA, but Double Sword is still awesome.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

CloseFriend posted:

I've been considering writing an FAQ for this game detailing exactly what costs what, although I'm not sure I feel like spending x months out of my life on such a project. Ah well.

I can't find it at the moment, but I swear I've seen a chart of the exact minimum best price for everything in this game. (e: Because you have to specify some rewards as well.)

Edit: Here's one.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 27, 2009

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Party Boat posted:

- Put anyone that uses a gun in the back row. Makes no difference to their attack power but physical attacks do less damage to them.

To add: Both hidden characters have the 'long range' ability on all of their weapons, and Barret has it on nearly all of his. There's also a Long Range support materia you can get that will add this effect to any weapon.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Cptn_Cuco posted:

-To get the most powerful summon materia you'll have to complete a chocobo breeding sidequest.

There is an alternate way - beating one of the optional bosses gives you an item you can trade for a gold chocobo, the other gives you an item you can trade for one of each "master" materia. (Master materia contain all of the abilities of their respective type - Master Magic contains all spells, Master Summon contains all summons, and Master Command has all the commands.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

sexual rickshaw posted:

Saint's Row 2:

Do the side missions, mainly because you're required to to build up respect to do the main missions. But there's plenty of neat unlockables for completing each activity to level 6, mainly infinite ammo for each weapon type.

It's a good idea to do the skydiving activity ASAP, since the reward is really useful. (You have to land on a specific car when you do it, which is spawned when you trigger the activity. The reward is immunity to fall damage.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

SiKboy posted:

Oh, and if you get a book that goes to your inventory, you can read it to gain a skill point. I was an idiot and didnt figure that out for like 5 hours playtime.

Save them until you can take the Comprehension perk (at level 4 I think) and each skill book will give you 2 points instead.

Edit: Also, Mothership Zeta adds possibly the most useful consumable item to the game. (Alien Epoxy repairs your currently equipped weapon by an amount dependent on your Repair skill, I think it maxes out at 30%. This is fantastic for unique weapons, like the Firelance.)

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 28, 2009

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

The gravity gun isn't a massive part of combat, you can still shoot things for 90% of the game.

You can also not shoot for a large portion of the game after getting the gravity gun. Killing combine with thrown physics objects is fun!

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

SpazmasterX posted:

-When you reach the mission with IFF in the title, you will only have a one mission window after you complete it before you need to go past the point of no return. There are very obvious consequences for procrastination.

This actually varies. I've seen the PNR hit right away, and I've seen it not hit for 3-4 missions. However, once the PNR hits, you can't do more than one mission before the last one or there will be consequences.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Yes, that's what was said. You can only do one mission after completing the "IFF" mission without there being consequences. In other words, make sure you've done everything you want to do before the "IFF" mission.

What I said was that it could be from one to several missions after doing the IFF mission that your entire crew gets abducted, and after that happens you can only do one more before the final mission. That spoiler is the true PNR, but you don't control exactly when it happens.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

GTA3 has one of the most entertaining cheats out of the three - if you type BOOMBOOMBOOM, every car in the vicinity will explode, and each additional BOOM will fire off the code again, sending wrecks high into the sky.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

A real tip for GTA III - once you unlock the second island, be very cautious when driving through the Mafia area on the first island. Gang members will instantly become aggressive, and those fuckers have shotguns, which can make a car explode in 2-3 hits. I can't remember how many times I'd had a car mysteriously explode in that area, and I finally figured out that was why.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

prepare to call the Bowser sections the best moment in gaming history.

I have to agree with this, except for when you fail and have to retry them, but you can't because you're loving hyperventilating.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Masa posted:

People have given lots of advice for Fallout 3 but what about the DLC? When should I start each one? I just got the GOTY version and I don't want to end up starting them too early in the game and ending up with equipment that leaves me overpowered for the rest of the game or anything. And does installing the DLC have any effect on the game outside of the quests they add?

Broken Steel is the only one that really has sweeping effects that cover the regular game world (as it adds new classes of Super Mutants and new weapons for them.) Also, if you're going to wait, you really should activate Broken Steel well before you finish the main quest. As for the other four, each has useful items/perks that you can get. (One of my favorites is Alien Epoxy from Mothership Zeta, which can repair any weapon.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

SiKboy posted:

the nuka cola quantum you need 30 of for an optional quest

You can also make some pretty awesome grenades out of it. (And if you have Broken Steel, you can take the Nuka Chemist perk later on to automatically convert every 10 bottles of regular Nuka Cola into one Quantum, which makes both the quest and making the grenades much easier.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Ornamented Death posted:

Explanation: I'm pretty sure Mog can only get the Water Dance in the first half of the game.

You are correct. Did they actually change the name to that in the remake? I always liked the name Water Rondo.

Another semi-related tip, there's an area near the beginning where you temporarily get some friendly NPCs in your party. You can strip some of their weapons and use them on characters you acquire shortly thereafter. These weapons are advanced by at least a couple steps from what's available when you get that character.

Spoilery explanation of the above: You temporarily get Mog early, and you can steal his spear to give to Edgar (if I remember correctly.) I don't think any of the other Moogles are un-equippable though.

There's a point where an NPC asks you for help, and you actually get to answer yes or no - if you say no three times you get a better item than you do for saying yes, and there are only three of that item reliably available in the game. (That is, not acquired by stealing from or morphing monsters.)

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 14, 2010

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Jarl posted:

When I've finished Fear I'm going to give Mass Effect 2 a whirl. I'm not looking forward to the mining mini game, but if there is a cheat (PC version) that auto mines the current planet, or alternatively gives resources, that annoyance would be removed.

You can find Gibbed's save editor on the mods page of masseffectsaves.com.

Edit: Direct link: http://masseffectsaves.com/mods.php

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

HondaCivet posted:

I was just wondering if the game really opens up at some point I guess.

It's still pretty linear for a little while yet, but there will come a point where you no longer have to use the portals. Not long after that, you get pretty much complete freedom.

Edit: The end of the section you're on right now is the beginning of the openness. It's not much farther - once you get the future character you're almost done with that segment.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Sabin's Blitzes might be a little confusing to use. Select Blitz with A, input the appropriate key combination, and then press A again.

Another tip regarding Blitz - you don't actually have to hit diagonal directions. For instance, one Blitz has the command down, down-left, left, but you can simplify it to down, down, left and it will work. (There are also a half-circle, a 3/4-circle, and a full-circle one that can be simplified the same way.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Edit: Never mind, i reed gud.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Comic posted:

I'm pretty sure it keeps your saves but I've never gone back and checked. I didn't play Strong Bad via steam so I'm not sure.

As far as I know, all the Telltale games keep their saves in your My Documents folder, so they shouldn't be touched by uninstalling, whether it's via Steam or the non-Steam version's uninstaller.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Jew Bear posted:

FF6:
  • Gau is basically useless, but it's fun to try and collect all his Rages if you're so inclined.

Depending on which version you're playing, this isn't necessarily true - while it was corrected in the GBA remake, in other versions you can use the Stray Cat rage (which adds 400% attack power) with the Merit Badge (to allow Gau to equip weapons) and the Tempest sword, which can randomly cast a Wind spell that hits the entire enemy party. You can also add a Genji Glove and a second Tempest for double the fun. (This is commonly referred to as Wind God Gau.)

Also prior to the GBA version, casting Vanish then Doom on any enemy (even bosses) would kill them instantly. (X-Zone also works, but there is one boss that drops a magicite when killed, and X-Zone prevents that.)

Edit: I don't think Vanish/Doom worked on the Phantom Train, but a Revivify (the anti-Zombie item) kills it instantly. Phoenix Down can work as well, but it can also miss.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 12, 2010

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

You don't have Vanish/Doom for the Phantom Train. In fact you have no magic at all. I think the only boss it doesn't work on is Deathgaze. And why bother phoenix downing the train when that is your only opportunity in the game to see Sabin suplex a moving train.

It has been years since I played FF6, hence not remembering you had no magic at that point.

Yeah, the fact that suplex works on the train is pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Luisfe posted:

Just bought the Left 4 Dead bundle. Two 20 bucks games for a grand total of 10? Hell yes.

Is there anything in particular I should know about them? Are they similar in gameplay to Killing Floor?
What can I expect of them, and should I play the first first, or just go to the second?

Be aware in L4D1 that the right-click shove has limited use in versus (after you shove a few times you get a cooldown between shoves until you stop for a while) but not in campaign - L4D2 implements the fatigue effect in all modes.