Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
X3 Reunion

-> Get the Xtended Mod. Seriously, it nearly doubles the scope of the game.
-> Terran Ships are the most powerful in the game hands down, but actually getting them is a real bitch.
-> Universe Traders should be your main source of economy. They can be forgotten about to an extent, which is really useful.
-> The manual is full of errors and references to cut features. Ignore it.
-> Use the number pad and Home/End/Insert keys to precisely place stations on the sector map.
-> Stop off at a station every so often so you don't lose hours of progress.

Front Mission (SNES/DS)

-> Your main character should either choose missiles or machine guns as his weapon focus. They offer the quickest ways of killing things, and as a result keep him alive.
-> Rifles are mostly useless unless you get Switch and Aim.
-> Guide is seriously broken beyond belief, so if you want a challenge don't abuse it.
-> Check carefully to see if your Arm melee damage is larger than your Melee weapon damage. It sometimes is.
-> Movement is better than Leg HP every time. Use high-HP bodies but high-Move legs.
-> Integrated weapons are useless most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
I would personally like some advice on STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl, Neverwinter Nights 1 and Civilisation 4, please! I dearly love them all, but they all beat me sideways.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006

zedprime posted:

- Skip directly to Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark. There is seriously no comparison to the original campaign, these expansions are what NWN should have been and SoU starts at level 1 so there's no need to even touch the OC.

And now I'm told, having completed the first chapter solo with my amazing Human Barbarian with a +1 Greatsword (and a level in Fighter so she can wear +1 Halfplate.)

Is it even worth finishing the campaign? It seems Great Cleave and a powerful weapon trivialises everything.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006

Rikkmeister posted:

Doom 3

*Learn to use the PDA as soon as you get it. All codes for cabinets are found on other PDA's, either in the e-mails, or voice logs. You don't want to miss the goodies in the cabinets.

*The game does not pause while you're using your PDA, only use it when you're absolutely sure nothing is around.

*There's plenty of ammunition in the game, but switch the weapons from time to time. If you use one or two the whole time, you will run out of ammo for it. While we're at it, the shotgun and the rifle will probably be the two most used weapons. Get used to them both, the shotgun is 1-shotting most things within melee range, while the rifle is really weak, but accurate. Go for full body shots with the shotgun, and headshots with the rifle.

*Bind your flashlight to RMB, and chainsaw to F. You're going to use the flashlight all the time, and from time to time will need to use the chainsaw. Easier to push F than 0.

*Enemies will come from all sides. See a dark corner? There's probably an imp there. A small vent shaft? Expect spiders. Look back, the enemies often spawn behind you.

*Smacking enemies with the flashlight actually does considerable damage. Use it when enemies are too close, but you don't got time to ready another weapon. Kills zombies in 2 hits.

All in all, it's a great shooter which everyone should try. The weapons are great, graphics still okay (most of the game is dark anyway) and the creepy industrial feeling is even better than Q4.

Is it just me or is the chaingun absolutely useless in Doom 3? In Doom/Doom2 it was very powerful because you could blast away all day with no repercussions, but as far as I remember Doom 3's one had a spin-up time and needed reloading every few seconds.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006

Rikkmeister posted:

There's no reloading needed. It's a situational weapon mostly, it requires a spin-up of 2 seconds or so, but you tear through every enemy in seconds with it.

That's really odd, because I remember it using 100-round belts. I could be wrong, though.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

Gonna be playing Front Mission 3 pretty soon; anything I should know? The only other FM games I've played were the DS remake of the first one a tiny bit of 4. The biggest thing I got out of the DS remake was that machine guns were by far the best weapons.

Unlike earlier Front Mission games, the way to get better stuff isn't always by buying it, you can quite often get really cool mech parts from enemies by capturing them.

A good strategy for the mid-to-late game is as soon as the right parts become available get Salvo (which fires all your remaining missile ammo at once) and then have your team act as ammo carriers for one Salvo-equipped unit armed with two of the best missiles available. A good Salvo will instant-kill most enemies.

Also, this isn't Front Mission 1, you can't always get all four weapon slots filled unless you want to use crummy low-tier weapons. Items are nearly always a better bet than Power backpacks too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
I just received Lost Odyssey for the 360 on my rental service - any tips/advice/warnings that are relevant?