Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecha Labrador
Apr 13, 2006

Ahm a Houn' Dawg, AWOOO!
SUIKODEN 5:

- Don't give anything important to Georg. The bastard wanders off several times, for hours at a time.
- Don't give anything valuable to Sialeeds either. Just loving trust me.
- Fight mummy enemies in the hidden ruins at the big hole near Rainwall. They drop magic absorb rune pieces. Magic Absorb Runes break the drat game in half. Put one on a powerful mage, and use their most powerful spells to your hearts' content.
- Speaking of which, Zerase is so powerful that she makes the game pretty boring. I don't know what the hell the developers were thinking.
- Equip as many Prosperity Rings as you can, once you can buy them from your shop. The money bonus quickly adds up.
- For even more insane money antics, equip each party member with 4 Prosperity Rings, and one piece of the Prosperity armour set. Bring along as many characters with the Potch Finder skill as you can, and put the Prosperity Rune on one of your active party members. Prepare to become very, stupidly rich in minutes.
- Use a guide. Seriously. You'll miss some of the characters if you don't. This applies to pretty much the whole series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Labrador
Apr 13, 2006

Ahm a Houn' Dawg, AWOOO!

Danger Mahoney posted:

Alright, I just started Disgaea for the DS, which I understand is a port of the first one for the PS2. Any chance of getting some tidbits on this pretty overwhelming game?

The most obvious rules:

- You can, and probably should, just focus on Laharl for the main game. When equipped with your best gear and levelled properly, he can molest anything the game throws your way.
- Don't bother with the item world or transmigration until you start doing the bonus dungeons and have beaten the main story. It's really not needed.
- When making powerful classes, transmigrate instead of creating from scratch. That way you don't need to get approval from the senate.
- To get Mr. Gency's Exit items for the item world, buy the cheapest item you can, like fairy dusts. The enemies will be a joke, and you can stock up on Exits just by reaching levels 10,20 etc. It's a good idea to have several exits in your inventory.

Mecha Labrador
Apr 13, 2006

Ahm a Houn' Dawg, AWOOO!

SiKboy posted:

I'm no expert (I played about half the game then gave up), but I do remember that there is one simulator disk that it is possible to miss, as its in a place you cannot go back to. I think (I'm far from 100% sure on this) that its the Deadpool simulator disk, and that its in Asgard I think.

Fake edit: I just checked, there are 2 disks you can miss and then not be able to get back to: Deadpools in Asgard and Mysterios in Murderworld.

And for anyone wanting to break the game in half, use Mr. Fantastic. Max his Fantastic Fist and Rubberband Recoil skills. There are many ways to abuse the skills in this game, but nothing that comes close to the sheer, unbridled wrath of Mr. Fantastic. You can defeat bosses in one or two hits.

Mecha Labrador
Apr 13, 2006

Ahm a Houn' Dawg, AWOOO!
Just a quick question on Fallout 3 and the GNR quest.

People keep saying that talking to Dr. Li will break the quest, but can't you just go back to Three Dog, and have him offer you the key to his private stash as a bonus? I was under the impression that doing this was the only way to access the stash. Or is there some other way I'm not aware of? Do you lose anything for not doing GNR first?

Mecha Labrador
Apr 13, 2006

Ahm a Houn' Dawg, AWOOO!
Okay, having just gotten the secret Cache from Threedog in Fallout 3, the path I took was:

1: Head towards GNR, meeting the Lion's Pride, and fighting the Behemoth. This is a cool sequence, and nets you a Fatman.
2: Accept Threedog's quest to collect and fix the dish at the Washington Monument.
3: Follow the quest line, and retrieve the lander dish from the Museum of Technology.
4: Head to the Monument, but don't go in. Just put it on your fast-travel map.
5: Now head to Rivet City. Hell, if you put off the main quest for a while, you've probably already been there.
6: Talk to Dr. Li in the Science Labs. She tells you where to go to find your dad. This puts the next quest, Scientific Pursuits on your Pipboy. GNR is still an active quest.
7: Fast travel back to Threedog, and explain that you already have the info you need. He offers you a bonus if you finish the job.
8: Fast travel to the monument, and finish putting up the new dish.
9: Back to Threedog again, and he gives you the key to his stash. GNR quest completes, achievement unlocked. Commence dancing.
10: Head to Hamilton's Hideaway near Arefu (if you did the Blood Ties quest, you might have been here already). Head to the NE corner, unlock door, claim phat loot, including a Mini-Nuke and a 'Guns and Bullets' skill book.

As someone already said, passing the inital speech check with Threedog probably cuts out a lot of this, but if you can't pass the check, or you're past the point you can try, this method works fine. It's not really worth all the effort, honestly, unless you're a completionist. Which I am. Horribly so.

Mecha Labrador
Apr 13, 2006

Ahm a Houn' Dawg, AWOOO!
As someone who has beaten FFX-2 with 100% at least three times, for no real reason beyond some kind of fevered madness, I have to agree.

Do not try to get 100% in FFX-2, it's not worth it. If you absolutely must, then use a guide to do so. You will not get it by yourself. Just loving trust everyone who tells you this. It is literally loving impossible. You'll miss something, and the game will never tell you.

Mecha Labrador
Apr 13, 2006

Ahm a Houn' Dawg, AWOOO!

Ragequit posted:

Listen to this guy right here. I loved the art style of Wild ARMs 3. I really need to get a PS2 again.

I have to agree. I really liked the Wild Arms games, at least the first few. Wild Arms 3 is probably the best of all of them. If you want to play a game that has all the great aspects of the series, I'd go with that one. The remake of the first game isn't bad either. It plays like the third game, with the storyline of the original. I still prefer 3 though, if only for the badass intro/outro movies you get when loading or quitting a game.

Speaking of Wild Arms, how are the later games in the franchise? I stopped with 3 and the remake, since the 4th game looked generic as all gently caress. Are 4 and 5 any good? What about the PSP one?

Mecha Labrador
Apr 13, 2006

Ahm a Houn' Dawg, AWOOO!
It's not a gameplay issue, but there's one thing I think people should be aware of with The Witcher, should they decide to buy or play it.

The game loving hates 16:10 resolutions. If you play on a monitor that's not 16:9, such as one that's 1680 x 1050, the graphics in the cutscenes become all blocky and weird. The only way to avoid this is to set the lighting quality to minimum, or force your monitor to run at a 16:9 resolution, usually by hacking it in with a third party application such as power strip.

There used to be a way to fix this by forcing anisotropic filtering through graphics card settings, but that no longer works. The developer barely even admits that this is an issue, so there's no chance of it getting fixed.

Mecha Labrador
Apr 13, 2006

Ahm a Houn' Dawg, AWOOO!
Best way to break the gently caress out of Oblivion:

- Reach level 20
- Enter an oblivion gate
- Get to the sigil stone at the end
- Save
- Pick up the stone, check to see what it does
- If it's the 20% chameleon one, good, if not, load your save
- Repeat four more times (or dupe the stone)
- Enchant the stones onto some light armour, clothes or rings/amulets
- 100% chameleon, you are now the Predator

Beyond this, if you want to level magic schools easily, gain access to a spellmaking altar. Create simple, weak, 1 second spells with basic effects and cast them repeatedly. They have tiny MP costs, and raise your skills as fast as massive fuckoff explosions and poo poo. To actually make a spell using a specific effect, you need to already have a spell with that effect learned. This is pretty simple to acquire though, as every mage guild sells basic spells with a range of different effects for cheap.

gently caress it, let's get the other skills out of the way too:
- For acrobatics, find a dresser or something near a ceiling, jump on it, and repeatedly jump. With a small enough space, you can jump hundreds of times in a minute.
- For weapon skills, find or warp to Peryite's shrine, and attack the frozen people there. They can never die while frozen, so feel free to go nuts. Occassionally attack a normal NPC and pay the fine if you do this, as the game can crash if you have too many unreported crimes.
- For sneak, find a bar or almost empty building, and hide near a stationary NPC, go into sneak mode and walk against a wall or object. You have to sneak near someone for this to work, and they can't notice you (the sneak eye is transparant).
- For block and armor skills, set the difficulty to the lowest setting, and find a weak rat or crab. Let them wail on you as long as you like.
- For armorer, do the above, but have a ton of repair hammers and constantly repair your armour as you're assaulted by a mud crab.
- Mercantile is annoying. Buy a stack of arrows or something, and sell them back, one by one. This can take ages.
- Athletics is hard to raise by force, but try equipping the water-breathing ring mentioned above, and jump in a lake, swimming as long as you like. This raises the skill faster than walking or running. Optionally, do the above, find a nook or dead end underwater, and weigh down your analog stick or arrow key for a few months.
- For alchemy, create simple potions with basic ingredients, which you can buy in any store.
- For security, manually fix the first few tumblers of a lock, and exit. You can also repeatedly use the auto attempt function, wasting hundreds of lockpicks as you do. If you have the unbreakable lockpick, feel free to go nuts with auto attempt though.
- Speechcraft is loving annoying to raise. Play the stupid speech minigame with anyone and everyone, trying to stretch it as long as possible by loving up on purpose. To lower disposition with NPC's, talk to them with a weapon drawn, try to haggle too high with merchants, or talk to them while wearing the grey cowl of nocturne.

As for major/minor skills. Always try to have at least one minor skill per attribute. If you're almost at a level up, and want to raise your agility when you do, having Marksman, Security and Sneak as major skills can make this impossible. Having one as a minor skill means you can raise the minor skill a little, and gain the full 5 attribute points at level up.

Remember, you can only choose 3 attributes to increase per level, up to a maximum of 5 points each. You get the full 5 points if you raised the skills related to that attribute by at least 10 points since your last level. While annoying and difficult, if you want to fully maximize level gains, try to gain 30 skill points total per level, tied to 3 attributes. Also, make endurance one of the 3 attributes you increase first, as the HP gains it grants aren't retroactive.

Jesus, I play Oblivion like a goddamn math equation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Labrador
Apr 13, 2006

Ahm a Houn' Dawg, AWOOO!
Yeah, Speechcraft is one of the most useless and irritating skills in the game. It's much, much easier to make Illusion a minor skill and increase your personality stat that way.

Another thing to note: no skill ties with luck, meaning that you can only raise it by 1 point per level. If you really, really want a value of 100, then start with the Thief sign, and choose luck as one of your chosen attributes, giving you 65 to begin with. By only raising 20 skill levels (10 major, 10 minor, split between two attributes) per character level, and choosing luck as your third attribute, you can max it out by level 36.

Luck boosts all your skills behind the scenes. With 100, all your skills function as if they were 20 levels higher. It also affects other things, such as the stats of fighters in the arena. It doesn't have any affect on loot or items from dungeons.

I never bother increasing it. By the time it really has any effect, most of your skills should be nearly maxed out already.