Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

projecthalaxy posted:

Question for Shining Force for GBA, may apply to Genesis as well. How do you equip weapons? I got a new lance for Ken, but cannot see any equip option. I try to use it and that didn't work in town or in battle.
The character has to have that item in his inventory. If you buy a weapon for that character, the game should give you the option to equip it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What can anyone tell me about Destroy All Humans 2?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

YggiDee posted:

Hows about some advice for those going into Half-Life 2 for the first time? It, and TF2 (Which I began to play three weeks ago) are the first FPSs I've touched since Goldeneye on the N64. After years of console JRPGs slowling eroding my reflexes, how boned am I?
*The SMG is a weak piece of crap for a weapon, which is why they give you tons of ammo for it. Basically all weapons are under-powered and have little ammo.
*The Pistol is a great sniping gun.
*Aim high when fighting head crabs with a crowbar. They basically jump right onto it when you swing.
*The Magnum easily misses shots on higher difficulties at longer ranges, yet such a slow firing gun will get you killed if you fight guys with a shotgun and if they live.
*You can charge up the Tau Cannon to make it hit really hard and get a strong recoil for effect.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ashenai posted:

I'm pretty sure Half-Life 2 actually had somewhat dynamic ammo distribution. If it saw you were using a certain gun a lot, and using up a lot of ammo, you'd start finding ammo for that weapon in crates. If you hoarded ammo and tried not to waste any, you'd start finding less ammo overall.

I assume you were a "hoarder," and used the SMG a lot because you were saving the more powerful guns for an eternally unspecified "later"? Don't do that.
I should have said small magazine then. I didn't notice a difference in ammo crate pickups as it got to the point where I would use up the "important" ammo and stick to shotgun/pistol. The jeep does have infinite SMG ammo and I loathe to use it.
I use cheats to get a huge magazine for the good weapons, just like those guns in HL1.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Dramatika posted:

A friend of mine just loaned me his copy of Xenogears in return for me loaning him my Final Fantasy 3 (6) SNES cartridge. I've heard a lot of good things about Xenogears over the years, is there anything specific I should know about before I get started?
Deathblows have a hidden counter for the three buttons and they all build upon that amount. Most of the time an unlearned Deathblow will have a low percentage and you should start your combo with X most of the time, if you fight weak enemies that die quickly. Triangle should be used less often than squares so everything can be learned faster.

Each Deathblow gives you another attack for your level combo. I stick with level one for speed and so you get that hit in. The stronger level moves are easier to dodge as is human battles.

You should never have to worry about fuel-stealers and that each level in your gear adds more to your charge. You also don't need to bother with charge boosting equipment.

Your chance of Hyper Mode is mostly determined by your amount of lost health you lost this battle and number of attacks you make. Forget about any equation you read. Basically, almost dying will give you a large enough percentage (40+) to almost make it useful but then you will die soon.

If you want to play the game normally and fight battles with their intended difficulty, DO NOT USE DEFENSE INCREASING ACCESSORIES.

Character equipment such as evasion and speed shoes, can affect you Gear as well. Ether defense also determines a Gear's stat.

Unequip the Pilot Uniform from Elly when you get her and sell it for 10000.

Ether attacks become broken when you find the equipment that increases their attacks and use elemental buffs and debuffs with your Ether abilities.

Using fire Ether on some enemies will make them drop better items you can sell for good bits of cash. It is a really nice addition to cook your food in battle.

It is possible to defeat that one Gear with wings and 500,000 hp. Expect to lose from the hilarious damage you take, over a couple battles.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 7, 2009

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A combo doesn't count the last button as it would in the previous ones. Being the right level also opens them up as are the plot DB.

A DB strategy that uses triangle so much will delay learning new ones for hours. Sacrifice accuracy for learn faster and you won't need Wizardry accessories.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

homerlaw posted:

Anything for someone finally getting around to play Earthbound for the first time?
There are a couple places where butterflies respawn if you see them.

Freeze call stop an enemy for a while.

Lots of stuff that Jeff can use is repeatable and his Heavy Bazooka is broken, after you fix it.

Krakens don't drop any bats.

Eggs will be a great source of income if you hold on to lots of them.

Don't get to level 99 when Ness is alone by the end of the game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Problem is most manuals are 12 pages of credits/controller buttons/pictures.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Captain Novolin posted:

Just picked up FFVII for my PSP, is there anything I should know for these two?
When you get to that annoying parade game, keep mashing the button while you are almost in line with everyone. It should give you something better than junk and don't worry about getting a perfect score.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is one thing that all survivors should know about Tanks...if he is chasing someone else, run behind him and blast the gently caress out of him. An even better strategy on campaign Tanks is to get in melee range and shoot/melee him until he dies or leaves the prone guy alone.
I have yet to see anyone really take advantage of survivor Hate (MMO term), that Tanks will run past you and everyone else who doesn't piss him off the most.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Backhand posted:

I just bought Disgaea on the DS and could use some general purpose tips on it, as it actually seems much harder than I anticipated. Is there any good way to level up healers? If I'm understanding the system correctly, characters only get xp for kills, and as such Laharl is level 9 and my cleric is level 2.
I suggest you hold off on really leveling healers until your mages get level two spells. The early magic gets obsolete quickly and you will be combining monsters to get faster levels on Geo Panels with EXP.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Being fully evil will give you several benefits (gold, minions, minion upgrades) that good choices will miss. You also get the evil ending that I enjoy seeing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Jolo posted:

If you're playing on the Wii the stock isn't necessary. It improves aiming precision on the Gamecube and PS2 versions, but doesn't affect the Wii pointer on the Wii version.
Is this for all stocks? I got the Wii version since I couldn't stand how much time I was spending on aiming (and missing) on the PS2.

Use both Magnums and be glad to have that much ammo at once. Just use the strongest Magnum at the time, for those Garrador. I almost never find the stuff and I hope it isn't so rare on the Wii.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Anything I should know about Super Mario Galaxy? I never played a Mario game where you replay the same stages with a different gimmick.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What specific things were added for Bully: Scholarship Edition (Wii) over the PS2 one? I might pick it up again since it is my favorite sandbox game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

hadji murad posted:

I've been playing Overlord for a while now and could use some tips to make me th emost bad rear end killing machine possible. What are the best ways to upgrade my poo poo and ensure that I have the most minions possible?
Use an axe or mace for the chance to knockback/flip. Get the expansion to create the Harvest(?) Helmet to increase your minion gathering and look for the helmet that adds a few extra.
A high Regeneration of around 60+ is enough to help you recover from most attacks quickly enough without it being wasted on defending against weak enemy attacks.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Salt Block Party posted:

Anything good to know for Bully?
*If you let the day run out you might lose your shoes and maybe worthless junk. Your clothes will be back at your changing station. Sleeping isn't so important.
*Don't go to class when it starts. If you are doing some odd job or collecting, pick a fight with a prefect and you will teleport to class.
*Your outfit will determine if certain girls will like you enough to refill your health if you took enough classes. The latter ninja outfits have a bonus but everyone will laugh at you.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That plot event happens automatically, so go eat something. Just wait until time runs out, after having one minute to be safe.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Backhand posted:

I've made a lot of progress in Disgaea since I first asked for help on it and feel pretty confident with the game in most respects, but I've got one more question: Is there any especially good way to make money? Laharl's got a brokered-up sword but it doesn't seem to help all that much. I've been hitting the item world and doing geo panel clears for cash and vendor fodder, but frankly that takes forever. Is there a better way I'm missing?
I pass stronger enemy bills and stack the weaker ones that won't be as tough at the combined level.
If you are now doing the optional areas, pick fights with the Surt (fire dragons) classes and steal/capture them for their gear. You will need a ton of them at max level if you want to steal from the important enemies more easily and for cheesing those bosses.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 31, 2009

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Can't mention PS1 games without Xenogears. It even has some fun platforming for an RPG. You also can't forget to mention how bad the second disc is but you can skip through all of character one or character two as they both repeat each other for several minutes (Metal Gear Syndrome?).

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Sworder posted:

Just make sure you force an encounter before you try and jump. Even running from an image on an emulator, there's still a small delay where you can't jump because it's loading an encounter.

And I honestly didn't care about the beginning of disc 2. The rest of the game is good enough that I'm willing to forgive a bunch of text dumps.
You can also tell when the music turns off. Moving slowly leads to an interesting way of avoiding fights if you are very patient.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Silentman0 posted:

I bought the Fallout triple-pack on Steam and there's no manual. Tell me what I should know before I start 1 or 2.
You can cheese through most merchants with a decent Barter skill so that you can empty their inventory by trading cheap goods for slightly more expensive ones.

Killing people in some towns could make recruitable NPC's angry. One will try to kill you after you recruit him and then harm some citizen. Tycho will attack you during every map change.

Reading books on higher difficulty (lower stats) will give you better returns when you switch to lower difficulty (higher stats).

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Nickoten posted:

Difficulty? Books giving different returns? I've played through Fallout a few times and don't really understand this. Can you explain it to me?
Books give diminishing returns the higher your skills are and hard difficulty lowers your skills by a large enough amount, so you can eke out several more points. Set it back down to easy and you have increased your skills further than what would have been one or two extra points at 80% or so.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Dr Snofeld posted:

Going to dust off my copy of Grandia and I'm looking for advice, on levelling in particular. I'm pretty sure I did it wrong last time I played the game.
You will want to hunt down those alligator (maybe called chameleon) looking things that teleport all over the place when they see you. There are two types in forest areas and they probably give you full experience for magic and weapons to 99. Be sure to leave the area and come back to make them respawn.
Enemies don't really give much experience until the end and then there is a bonus dungeon with flying brains that give about 800. It will still take at least a month to reach 99 at that spot.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 8, 2009

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Dr Snofeld posted:

Again with Grandia, I'm just about to get on the ferry to New Parm. Is there any point soon where I should grind or whatever?
I think you will face one of the hardest places (after about three enemy filled areas) in the game due to a lack of resources. Buy antidotes and try to get Earth and Water on someone when you can, which might be quite a while.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 10, 2009

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Green Crayons posted:

Just picked up Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals. Anything major I should know before I dig in?
Most of the dungeons are a bunch of time-consuming puzzles. All enemies that exist will run away and you can shoot arrows to stop them for a few steps. You can swing your sword to make them move again without you moving.
This game really pissed me off with these "features" instead of just grinding and advancing through dungeons at your own pace.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Baram posted:

What should I know before playing Parasite Eve 1 & 2?
PE2 has enemies that have certain weaknesses to ammo types even if that ammo is weak.

Some enemies can be crippled (blown off shield) if you happen to hit them when they are in certain animations. Enemies can react differently to sound or movement.

Watch out for cliffs.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What should I know about Super Paper Mario?

quote:

Left 4 Dead wiki
Always, always set the tank on fire. A burning tank will die in 30-40 seconds regardless of any other damage done to it.

This got patched out ages ago.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
He still takes damage only it won't kill him until just about all of his health (~300 at most) is gone, unless he is getting fired on by nearby greens with T2. Normal Tanks shouldn't be near all four of them.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Cinroth posted:

I'm going to be starting Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia and Chrono Trigger DS, anything good to keep in mind that I could overlook by mistake? (especially concerning Chrono Trigger, what with it being a jrpg and all that)
For CT:
Combined techs can break through strong defenses. You will come across enemies with max defense and be forced to use magic on them. One boss is a pain with her perfect defense.

A certain enemy appears in several places in 65 Million BC when it rains and he drops great stuff to forge with.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

hadji murad posted:

Can someone give me a simple overview of the Jobs in Disgaea. So much of the the info out there is so poorly written.

My last save got erased, want to power through the game this time, then work on 2 and 3.
I really recommend a guide on jobs. There are classes with hidden bonuses; such as super evasion that actually takes advantage of your dodging numbers being thousands of times higher than their hit, and those with reductions in spell casting. The game should have explained this to the player.

The weapon proficiency is merely a ranked chart with a few points in between grades. Just because something is grade E, it could mean you gain weapon levels half as fast as grade S++ or more. A higher tier of the same grade gains weapon levels about 2 points faster, even grade S.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Have Relm fight enemies and use Sketch ...no, forget that idea, you can either gently caress up the games saves or get random awesome goodness. You should Google the glitches of Relm.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Necc0 posted:

I just downloaded Hitman: Blood Money on Steam. What should I know?
If you plan on sneaking up on people, do not let them see your face. Try to stare away from them as they pass and you can use better methods of killing them when they aren't looking backwards while pissing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What can you tell me about the Item World pirates in Disgaea 2 and why their maps are so important?

edit: What is the best way to get each map?
What is the fastest way to get felonies as I heard it is a slow process.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 16, 2009

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is your wiki dead?

What should I know about Overlord 2?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Anything for the Alien Shooter series or Painkiller: Black Edition?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How should I begin ruling the world in Evil Genius?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

I'm about to start Parasite Eve for the very first time. Any tips?
*You cannot create a genocide cannon despite the seemingly unlimited customization of your weapons. Some combos refuse to work. Stick with a 3X shot to keep damage/bullet under control before you get the harder stuff.
*Changing equipment will reset the growth of your energy meter should it become too slow.
*You should take on an enemy that gives lots of experience and avoid taking damage, to get the most out of your level bonuses.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Draile posted:

If you beat Ruby Weapon you can trade the prize in for a gold chocobo. But since most people use Knights of the Round to win the fight, and getting that materia requires a gold chocobo, it's kind of an empty prize.
Use Barret's Limit and Hades, so he will go down quick. A couple dozen 4-9's will destroy him quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SiKboy posted:

I just picked up Hitman: Blood Money on the 360 for peanuts. I have never played any of the hitman games. Anything I should know before I start?
If no one can see your face, they won't expect you to strangle them easily. They know who you are if they turn their head.
Turn around if someone is approaching you if you intend to attack them.

You can sometimes walk into restricted areas and get shot at but they might leave you alone if you get out of there quickly and without being violent. It might not count as being caught.

Wait for someone to lean over railings and push them off, except a certain fat woman on a cruise ship.

Sneak up behind people with your gun drawn and hold them, then knock them out and drag them away from open places. They will only get up if someone touches the body.

Use weapons/uniforms appropriate to the situation for restricted areas or just sneaking.

Take your time in missions.