Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

food court bailiff posted:

Anything for Dragonball Xenoverse 2? Switch version, if it matters. I'm mostly looking for how to spend attribute points, since I don't think you can really respec?
You can also change your stats by wearing clothes or an accessory that allows you to wear whatever you want and get a whole bunch of stats/malus, as if each piece of clothing is providing them. It is not really a worry and you can buy levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

CuddleCryptid posted:

> Try to match the colors of your units and your heroes. Cao Cao is red, so he should have some red horsemen in his unit to share his bonuses with, for example. The types are red/yellow = cavalry, blue/purple = foot infantry, and blue = ranged and siege weapons.

> Think of units as a hero's army rather than part of the whole group. The hero's units will move with him when he gets reassigned, so doomstacking is less necessary.

> Diplomacy is a much bigger deal in this game and the tools to perform it are much more in depth. Make sure you are managing not only your own reputation, but also the relationship between people you want to get along or form a bond with. Cao Cao is the easiest to do this with due to his special ability.

> There is a ton of money to be made with trade. Typical trade agreements are good to get, but also trading excess food to people who are hungry but rich can net you thousands of gold for something you weren't even using. Just don't be greedy and sell *all* your food.

> Play in the margins of the economy a lot. If you make a deal and it has a high favorability by the other guy then throw in a demand for some gold to even it out some.

> War isn't the only way to gain prestige

(Minor early game spoiler)

> Dong Zhou is a raging jerk but if you follow the storyline then the plot will kill him off pretty early on, so don't dump resources into making him not hate you.
How do you handle Lu Bu?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I will always remember you.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Getting State of Decay YOSE. Was anything changed from the old version or new things get introduced I should know about?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The canon could very well be changed if ReMake 3 comes out, as this is still the company that retcons so much of the old franchise. Retcom

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

baram. posted:

anyone have tips for lunar silver star story & eternal blue?
I'll try to remember a few.

There is a sort of penalty for saving the game, which costs points you use for upgrading attacks. Don't play short sessions unless you are using save states.
In Eternal Blue, you fight this guy called Borgan, surprise, and he is infamous for being super boss tough. Keep using White Dragon Protect and hope it defends against Gravity Bomb.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 30, 2019

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Cardiovorax posted:

Although I know the game has a bad reputation, I had a blast playing Metal Gear Survive (which is basically a full conversion mod for MGS5) and the Walker Gear in that game is hilariously powerful compared to the enemies you face. Every time you are handed one, it feels like you were suddenly granted a superpower. Just smash crystal zombies left and right, it's great.
It is pretty great to be able to build an effective fort in a short amount of time. The speed running aspect of the game is always fun in coop and you always find people who put in more time and know what to do with each map.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

pentyne posted:

Is this literally it? The last post about it said "make sure to import your save" like it was a Big Deal.
My Nemesis killed me more times than any boss, because he one-shotted me on Easy. Felt real proud for building him up so well in that save.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mierenneuker posted:

I have not used this feature, but I did some research on what it did before I wrote that. To be exact your nemesis will be the final opponent in the arena fight in Minas Ithil (act 1) and your follower will be one of the orc captains you rescue after Bruz takes over your fort. They will probably not look or sound the same, because Shadow of War has different models and voices.

Opinions on it were that it was rather underwhelming, most likely from people who bought Shadow of War on day one and had spend time preparing the orc captains they imported.
My buddy had a slightly different model with ugly clipping of drool behind his face, but he still had that drooling problem, which is something no orcs have in SoW.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Hwurmp posted:

use the Bloom spell on NPCs and they will give you pets
Are these pets as bothersome as the flea man?

Nice.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 15, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

PMush Perfect posted:

Anything for Xenoverse 2 assuming I can get it to stop crashing on trying to load the main game?
Having a finished save from X1 provides a great jump start to leveling. Find the NPC who sells levels for zenny.

The story missions don't need to all be finished in a sequence. You can go partway and do the PQs to build up your money and buy early levels. If you want to play with multiple characters and do all the quests only their race can do, use the money your main has and spend it on leveling your alts.

You are permitted to fly in the hub when you advance the story. It sucks not being able to fly.

I wouldn't bother with the milk delivery quest, but the stone quest is worth it when you can do it.

Don't ever bother grinding for the perfect QQ bang. It is bullshit design. Get some low level stuff and fuse for more positive pips than negative. The perfect QQ bang is for cheating programs.

You can get all the items you want by flying around the hub and selling the cure condition items.

Masters take a long time to build relationship with before they can teach you. Bring their exact form partners with you (no Super Goku for the normal Goku Master) and Z rank PQs. Hit is the worst Master to deal with and his moves are garbage.

Most of the DLC is worth the content, except the music packs, which are garbage.

The tutorial missions will teach you stuff you won't ever find out on your own.

Take advantage of the training area in the Room of Spirit and Time to check out how moves work and how much damage they do. Pose buffs tend to be disappointing. You will know through training.

Pose whenever you can.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

In the re2 remake when you briefly play as Ada you can collect stuff and transfer it to Leon so I think he means that does NOT happen here like you might expecto
It is like a new team was put together for the third game. Did they just not learn anything about what worked in RE2?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
At least you will have use for a knife.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Anything for Wonderful 101? I doubt anything gameplay wise was changed in the remaster.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

It's mostly straight forward iirc, no real gotchas or tips, the game will explain everything to you pretty plainly and I don't recall any areas that could trip you up.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Oh I guess there's a bit with a sort of flooded area. When you get there just keep moving forward, don't stop and don't look back.
I am chuckling like a madman. It is good advice, but looking back can have advantages as well.

To add to that, the game does reward you if you have trouble surviving in an area. Not the shower you with items, but it changes things up.

Say hi to the Kaernk when you find it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Anything for Kid Icarus on the NES?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

CuddleCryptid posted:

Resident Evil 8: Village

- Do not sell meat for cash! It is not renewable! You will open up a much better path for it later in the story, but you are not told this when you first start being able to collect it.

- The first area after the village cannot be accessed again after you leave it.

- The game follows the RE4 tradition of having treasures that can be combined to make far more valuable ones. You can tell if this is true by the item description, if they are named as "combinable". Some of the second halves of those items are spaced far apart, so don't sell off the pieces unless you are truly desperate.

- The map will have each room go from red to blue when all items are taken from it. Said items can be anywhere. Under chairs, inside drawers, even glinting gems in the ceiling. If you want to clean the place out make sure you look up.

- Some horror games demand you stop and fight enemies. This is not one of them. If you can just book it right past enemies then do so. Yes you can get items and cash from their bodies, but a bullet you don't have to spend is often better than one you have to buy.
I am guessing that just like RE4, there are tiers of weapons and you can get by with the starter ones and saving your money to splurge on the top gear?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Anything NEW for Phantom Brave (Steam)? I understand the page was for the older console versions.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There are people who play FPS and don't break everything that they can even once?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Legend of Legaia:

This game was made to sell the strategy guide. There are plenty of random/powerful items in strange places even where there shouldn't be anything. Look up a guide.

(optional) Use all the stat boosting items on Vahn. He has the toughest fights in the game and some of them are meant to be extremely hard to win.

You can stack Elixir buffs on characters. Save those for big name bosses.

Equipment works differently for this game. Weapons only slightly improve the attack bars damage and arts that use it. Never use a weapon not made for the character.

Spirit makes you much harder to kill and lets you make more attacks/AP. Battles go much faster if you use simple attacks or cheap arts without having to Spirit to regain AP.

Equipment is too expensive for what you get from encounters. You will always be very short on money all the time, so don't expect to fully upgrade until after the next dungeon.

You will find a lot of weapon upgrades outside of towns, so I would buy weapons last or not at all, to save money. Stick to using your Ra-Seru arm instead.

Vahn/Noa/Gala has strengths/weaknesses in using certain spells. Vahn masters fire and is useless with water. Noa masters wind and is useless with earth. Gala is great with all spells except dark.

Spells can be moved around after learning them. It isn't explained.

Spells work on a weird point chart where killing the target outright grants the most points. SINGLE target should always kill the enemy while an ALL target should kill three or more targets at once to get full points on it. This means killing weak enemies will always level your spells faster than a strong one surviving. Find a balance.

Consider grinding your Seru spells to gain character levels instead of using regular attacks. Single target or All target is worth your time over the weird group one.

The Ra-Seru eggs you get and make into talismans lets you auto-win a battle for 200MP. It isn't worth the massive cost and spending anything to get them isn't worth the effort. They also level depending on the character using it. Some characters will not do full damage based on the element and waste your time.

You don't need them anyway since you can get the strongest one after beating Van Saryu and freeing the kingdom. You can glitch it by pixel hunting until your shadow is over the carpet in front of the guard and walking straight through him and forcing a conversation by walking behind him. If you can't walk through him, move your shadow another pixel over and try again. When he stops you from entering the double doors when you move up, you did the hard part. The next part is to constantly tap up between him talking to you since you are trying to get your animation to walk/run at the same time until the doors open by themselves. Walk to the treasure chest for Juggernaut. This is legit available at level 99. It also greatly reduces encounters.

Healing spells work based on how much you heal below maximum health. It takes several topping off heals to equal one that doesn't fully heal.

Consider taking off your equipment and wearing HP items, then use Vera/Orb/Spoon when your characters are weak. Select one fighting bar for each enemy instead of using Spirit, to get the most chances to heal. If an enemy can poison, then all the better.

The Muscle Dome has this glitch where you don't get an item for Vahn beating Expert until near the end of the game. You CAN beat it after reviving the Genesis tree in Sol, but winning it easily will need a high level Kemaro, Spoon, and Magic Grail you get in Uru Mais. Only Vahn can do these boss gauntlets. Give him all your stat items to easily farm coins for Soru bread, which you need plenty of to advance the plot. The Evil God Icon may be worth it so you can steal stat items from your kills (look up a stealing guide), and then buy Soru bread to sell for thousands each. Money problem is solved.

You may come across a freeze bug when walking through a mirror to Conkram and there are various guides to fixing it depending on the system.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 27, 2023

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I just did that segment and your auto-revive won't work against the boss nuking your party. I beat the boss in two turns, but I wanted to find out.

edit: There is a cave that also gets frozen.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 12, 2023

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Another thing for Legend of Legaia:

Golden Compass completely ruins the balance of the game. It prevents all ambushes outside of the optional boss fights and turns most encounters into a free round. Skip this if you want a challenge.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
wrong thread

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 30, 2023

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Managed to get past the Conkram freeze glitch in Legend of Legaia. Using the Duckstation and ePSXe:

Copy your Duckstation game save file onto the ePSXe memcard folder.
Change your memory card setting to that save file.
Open the game on ePSXe and load that save.
Use an Incense and walk to the mirror room.
Keep mashing the button to skip all text and enter the past. (it may crash if you don't)
Go to the Inn and save.
Copy your memory card file to your Duckstation save folder and load the game save.
Make your save state as a precaution.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Lifroc posted:

I just started Metal Gear Solid 2. I only played to half of the first one on the original PSX. I know this is a meaty series, but I figured it's time to get into the entire biography of Hideo Kojima.

Can I just play 2, 3, 4 and 5 back to back, is there a better order, how do I enjoy the experience to the fullest?
Always play them in order of release.

Is Portable Ops really so bad because of gameplay or what?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If you didn't play the original Actraiser, I highly recommend it. If you have, then I can point you to the original patch that removes the censorship and returns the game to its original, very hard design.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ainsley McTree posted:

I googled this because I assumed they just like, put a bra on an angel or something but drat, uncensored version sounds rad as hell
I was more surprised at how different the game was. There are tons more spikes in stages and many enemies had stronger attacks that make American Professional look easy.
My favorite part was when the humans learned their place in your kingdom and submit to your authority.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I'd play the NES games for its jankiness. Kid me didn't get far, but I would have been annoyed at what happens through the game. It was a different beast from other games at the time.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SiKboy posted:

I'm finally getting around to saints row (2022), the reboot. Anything I should know?
It is a bad Saints Row game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Bedurndurn posted:

Your actions make no human sense and are therefore unpredictable.
This is clearly a test.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The old crew would dunk these guys in toilets if not shoot them for tarnishing the brand. It was terribly buggy on release and I don't know how much got fixed.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Do The Dew

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Anything for Grandia Extreme?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Grandia XTREME:

Copy these settings in the video. If you did it wrong, you may get flashing images.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc-3AspWpeE

There is an undub version that has decent VA. I'd pick that.

The game is split into four chapters of increasing difficulty and drops. I wouldn't linger on the three chapters since chapter 4 opens up with so much better stuff and half the game's text.

I may mention save-scumming, but you can get by without doing it at all, but chapter 4 will be very rough with what the game sells to you and randomly gives you.

RNG is used for just about everything except enemy formations. You fight an enemy and that group won't change.

Everything your guys take in their inventory and what they slotted in for magic and skills cannot be undone until you leave the dungeon and talk to an NPC. You can't switch out eggs or skills when you find them. You can throw them away if you want.

There are some places where items can reset by changing screens to manipulate the RNG. It also works on encounters so monsters may have 7 treasure icons with the best chance of getting special equipment or stat seeds.

Titto steals from monsters and his level must be high enough compared to the monster. Usually, anything less than 6 icons is common stuff. The treasure icon determines the tier you could steal or as a drop. Make him steal constantly so you can get skills and items to sell. You will need millions to get the best stuff that Juston has and I wouldn't be cheap about it since his game is tolerable with save-scums.

There is a strategy of farming items from enemies where you steal and then run away. The item will drop out of battle to collect and the encounter will roll another item. You will need Quick Feet and Speed skills on the escaping character to reliably farm. The larger enemies tend to have expensive drops and sometimes caps at 4 treasure icons.

The only way to increase your SP over 100 is with a certain skill or Seed of Moves. I'd give Evann all the Move seeds since he has an AOE and is mandatory.

Your SP resets to 0 when you leave the dungeon, enter town, or travel to other places using a portal.

The character Juston has an awful gambling game that opens up in chapter 4 and is made for abusing save-scumming. He is your money sink and you will need money for the superior weapons you can get for your guys. There is a guide on his prizes. He has the Spirit Ring and Shoes on rotation. The ring grants full immunity to all ailments and resistance to every element, plus a ton of stat ups.

Spirit equipment can be equipped only in chapter 4, where you get Limited Books and the Ultimate Vellum that unlocks Full Armor in the Vortex Corridor. There are some items named spirit, but no one will be able to use the Helmet, Shield, Armor, Shoes, or Ring. Anyone can equip their spirit weapons.

You can only hold 30 different items and some of them stack up to 10 times.

You get 24 Mana Eggs total. Same for Skill Books. You can't give them to everyone and put the rest in storage. The game will stop you from getting books/eggs unless you throw out another.

You can hold 100 skills before you can sell them off to get more. You can put the vellum in storage instead.

Ailment immunity is king in this game. I'd equip anything that protects from paralysis, sleep, and confuse, since those cost turns. Poison is just annoying. Certain spells and attacks will inflict status as a side-effect.

All enemies have a skill point timer. Don't worry about it until you fight bosses or mimics. Those will give you lots of points towards the more annoying skills to level. There are four kinds and the muscle and sword skills are easiest to level.

Have everyone level their Moves when you can to get new ones. Leveled Moves get stronger and act faster. The first skill always cancels attacks when an enemy is in the final phase and that will dominate bosses if you are fast enough and also use critical hits as a free cancel.

Combination attacks are easy to cancel and not useful at all.

You don't need to give everyone magic, but healing spells will always be good when out of battle.

Plan on having your guys specialize in mostly melee or magic. One character with 6 strength upgrades will finish battles much faster than 4 characters with 1-2. Your casters can reduce a boss down to nothing quickly while your melee are canceling its attacks. Cancel/critical the main body of multi-part bosses to affect the whole body. Each part of a boss you destroy besides the core gives additional skill points.

Each dungeon after the first has a mid-point teleport you can get back to, but all of them have a one way teleport to town.

The Tsunami Trough Ocean Cave teleport places you near a giant clam shell that always has something in it. You can farm it for many eggs and books to sell to the skill seller. Each chapter upgrades or changes what comes out of it.

Combining the same Mana Eggs results in less than the total mp value, but might give you upgraded spells and/or eggs with stars on them, which from 1-3 grants additional upgrades to spells for that combined egg. You need another egg with stars to get those upgraded spells. You can scum those upgrades by entering another building and going back, then scum several combinations. I would only bother if you have stars on an egg since the game may give you one upgrade point among six spells, other times you get 9+.

The skill maker sells items for points and you won't be using the Spirit Helmet until chapter 4 and only after doing around a couple dozen floors of Vortex Corridor while collecting Ultimate Vellums. Use those points on buying Soul Eggs and merging them a couple times. You get a powerful heal with 600+mp, which you can also combine with something else and get over 400mp on high level eggs for a few thousand points. Expect to buy a hundred Soul Eggs and nothing else.

You can't steal from bosses the first time they appear in a chapter and boss drops are not good. The atrium behind them will have three very random items you can save scum. The chapter influences the tier of those items, but you can still get useless junk.

The random dungeons may have tiles that light up and open a door. That door may have 1-3 healing items, but it isn't worth it unless you are struggling.

There is an optional super boss in Darkness Ruins.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 28, 2023

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
We have separate pages for the Resident Evils and their remakes.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Found a way to cheese the Culex fight in Super Mario RPG (SNES) and you can do without grinding levels. No need for the Super Suit or Lazy Shell. Having accessories that halve damage will help. I used Bowser since he can tank and revive people.

Turns out you can get two Toad special dreams in Nimbus Land and the second one gave me two Red Essence's. That seemed unusual to me.
Save your 5 Red Essence (three from your journey) and hopefully get a freebie. You will need 9-13 Rock Candy to deal enough damage before your Red Essence runs out and take out 2-3 crystals. The last crystal has several hundred hp left and Culex another several hundred more. Fill your inventory with Pick Me Ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
:justpost:

Scalding Coffee posted:

Found a way to cheese the Culex fight in Super Mario RPG (SNES) and you can do without grinding levels. No need for the Super Suit or Lazy Shell. Having accessories that halve damage will help. I used Bowser since he can tank and revive people.

Turns out you can get two Toad special dreams in Nimbus Land and the second one gave me two Red Essence's. That seemed unusual to me.
Save your 5 Red Essence (three from your journey) and hopefully get a freebie. You will need 9-13 Rock Candy to deal enough damage before your Red Essence runs out and take out 2-3 crystals. The last crystal has several hundred hp left and Culex another several hundred more. Fill your inventory with Pick Me Ups.
I forgot to mention the Mushroom Boy in Seaside Town will give you Rock Candy after eating certain Mushrooms you can buy from the nearby store.