Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

For levelling driving (and you should want to, because the Supercar gets guns at 4 stars) in Crackdown I found going berserk is the fastest way. Get a hit squad coming after you, and then drive around that particular island running over everybody. Literally everybody, like driving on the sidewalk. The hits you take to your levelling by running over pedestrians are more than made up for by running over gang members, and on the highway (remember to stay on your island although sometimes the hit squads carry over to the other islands) if you stick to driving on the wrong lanes, the gang members in their oncoming cars should die instantly if your speed is high enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

For Assassin's Creed Syndicate will I be forced to play as Evie or Jacob? I'm figuring out how specialized I want them to be but if there are going to be long sections where I can't switch then making them both more well-rounded is the better bet.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They have separate story missions in each chapter, you just pick which ones get done first. The only thing you absolutely need to prioritise upgrading ASAP as a skill is Lockpicking. It makes some infiltrations much easier, along with opening chests as you find them rather than having to come back later.

Cool, thanks! I love making money in games so I want lockpicking on both characters ASAP. Got it on Evie, will have to check Jacob.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gynovore posted:

I agree with you; but please, everyone, don't buy the DLC. Microtransactions and day-1 DLC are both scummy business practices; companies that use them should be kicked in the nads, not rewarded with your money.

Hmm... but what if they introduced microtransactions that would pay for kicking the companies in the nads?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pretty excited about Transformers for free. I kept flirting with the idea of getting it second-hand whenever I was in EB so this is rad.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Playing Tomb Raider (Definitive Edition for what it's worth). Do the skills make much of a difference to the gameplay?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Anything to know about Tropico 5? I just ended the tutorial last night and the menus and micromanaging seems more daunting than I expected. Guess I haven't played this style of game in a long time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cool, thanks!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

juliuspringle posted:

It's your fault, you're the reason I bought a used copy of Empire by Orson Scott Card today.

Because of Tropico...?

Anyway, I got tired of the campaign mode and am having more fun in sandbox. Campaigns make it feel like more of an old RTS when what I wanted was more of a SimCity / Civ vibe.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ainsley McTree posted:

Genuinely curious what people from Toronto think of this

About Toronto being one of the City-States or the bonus Toronto provides? It'd be pretty hard to treat either as offensive or inaccurate given the size and range of our industry and economy relative to all the rest of Canada.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LawfulWaffle posted:

I think it auto saves after fast traveling, too. But it's good advice not to rely on the autosave, especially when you can save anywhere that's not right next to enemies or in a dungeon.

Man, dungeon is such a dated term for, uh, "discrete gameplay area". I've seen sewers, mines, a few forests, and a cave. Nary a dungeon in sight.

Yeah, we could use a different term for that.

Also, "level".

Because you can go to a level in a level to level.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zaodai posted:

In MMOs they tend to use "instance" instead of dungeon, though you then run into problems with differentiating between a instanced dungeon and anything else that just happens to have its own instance server.

Instance doesn't really seem right for single-player because the whole game is instanced in that sense.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This kind of seems like an argument for the sake of arguing :shobon:

I thought we were all having a very tame and non-confrontational chat about some game terms. Back to posting about game tips, then.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

juliuspringle posted:

Anything helpful to know for War for (or Fall of) Cybertron? It SEEMS like a pretty straightforward series but I figured I'd ask. Also how does Devastation compare to this? I hear that it's good if you like the cartoon but the movies exist so I'm skeptical.

I liked Devastation. I get that you're skeptical if the whole "you'll like it if you liked the cartoon" was ever used in defence of the movies simply because the movies and characters share names but no, if you liked the cartoon then Devastation really will feel like a long-lost episode of the show.

Overall the game feels kinda budget, and there are some weird choices peppered throughout, but ultimately the real core mechanics of it being a beat-em-up are fun and polished. The combat was always a treat. If you're okay with button sequence combos and you like the G1 Transformers then it's worth checking out. Just don't pay much for it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In Shovel Knight, after Goat Boy stops selling you meal tickets, are there more to get somewhere out in the world? I know you can get some from the Shield Knight dream sequences but I'm wondering if there are more.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ravenfood posted:

Anything for the new Doom?

Treat every fight like it's the last fight and by that I mean ignore your videogame hoarding instinct and use whatever gun and whatever mod and whatever ammo you want to get the job done and have fun. Rockets are not a special, rainy day weapon. Grenades are limitless (but on cooldown). The chainsaw can one-shot any non-boss enemy when your suit's ammo is fully upgraded. So just go buck wild.

The only exception to this is when trying to do the various challenges or rune upgrade requirements, but you can leave those for when you replay a level.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 21, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nate RFB posted:

I constantly forget I have equipment/grenades in Doom. I'm sure one can leverage them to great use but I just can never remember to use them.

If there's one good thing about those bastards with the shields it's that they got me in the habit of using grenades.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pneub posted:

And if you do happen to start running out of gun ammo and you're getting cornered, don't be afraid burn chainsaw fuel on a zombie or something since the ammo drop will refill all of your guns.

Definitely. Once you've got several guns it's more likely that you'll die before you run out of all types of ammo, even if you have terrible aim, but using the chainsaw to get more ammo is real nice. It's easily one of my favourite weapons/game mechanics of all time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I was once toying with the idea of making a thread for game questions where the answers seemingly violate the forum rules, i.e. don't tell people to kill themselves.

"What do you think is the most thematically impactful ending of Spec Ops: The Line?" Kill your self
"Is there any way to permanently die in Planescape Torment?"Die in a fire
"Anyone have some basic survival tips for Subnautica?"Make bleach, drink bleach

Every romance option would of course be "sever".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

For Witcher 3, I think I chose the opposite option for what I wanted when it comes to the simulate save choice. I thought "do not simulate" meant that it wouldn't automatically choose things for me so that I could decide but looking it up it would seem I Chose Poorly. Is there a way to re-do that without starting a fresh game? I'm not far into the tutorial area so if I have to restart, fine, but I'm hoping for another method.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

GhostBoy posted:

Sadly I think you are looking at a restart. "Simulate WItcher 2 Save" is the option for people who did not play the other game and want to set their world state, as opposed to importing a save. If you didn't get the option to import and you have a save from the earlier game, it could be in the wrong place. This IGN article has the details on how to fix the file being in the wrong place, but if you didn't have a save and want to specify your choices, you have to restart and choose the other path.

It's a bit tricky to find an authoritative source on what the default choices are, but from what I can tell it amounts to Aryan LaValette is spared, Letho and Sile are dead, you sided with Roche and helped Anais rather than come to Triss' rescue. The practical effects are that you lose out on a cameo, a sidequest, romancing Triss may be harder (cannot say if it's impossible though), the world is a bit more anti-mage and Roche likes you better from the off.

I ended up restarting and it wasn't that bad because I forgot how much of the first twenty minutes or so are training and tutorials that you can skip, so I got back to where I had left off very quickly. Now to wait until the save simulation options come up and I can do a forums search in this thread for the best choices (they're not in the Wiki).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Anything for Mother Russia Bleeds? Finally got it the other day during the Devolver Digital sale.

I've somehow unlearned how to do the air throw so any help on that is great and is there anything specific I can do to generate convulsions in enemies (besides not taking off their heads)?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The wiki doesn't have an entry for Infamous: Second Son. Something I should know that I haven't figured out by now? I've got Smoke and Neon powers so far so it's not like I just booted the game up but any tips are welcome!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

OutofSight posted:

No kidding.
DazzlingAddar described this as "strange Dark Souls momentum" in her DS2 lp. When things go well you ride on some kind of wave of success. When you screw up on some point, it only gets worse without some break.

Hopefully goons/game nerds recognize that this phenomenon of being in the zone and doing well or being flustered and spiralling downward isn't just a Dark Souls thing...

It also extends to fighting games.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Alternatively, score one point and then take the ball and hide behind your own goal, glitching out the AI, until the match times out :shobon:

Gretzky's Office still confounds defenders to this day.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Darksiders 2

SiKboy posted:

Some weapons are "possessed" (I think thats what it was called anyway) and you can feed weapons you dont want to the possessed weapon to improve it. Increase its stats, take on traits of the consumed weapon etc. Its fairly easy to get a possessed weapon to break the curve one way or another. I had one through the midgame that did much higher damage than anything else, and mid to end game I had another that, by judicious feeding of other weapons with heal on (X) abilities, gave me I think health on hitting, health on damaging and health on kills.

I would advise to do a little research on how the consumed weapon system works because I remember it being a bit of a black box.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

For Transistor, is it possible to hit Clucker bombs back at them? Swear I did it once but I don't want to sit there getting myself blown up to test how it works if someone can just tell me. Tried Googling it to no avail.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ainsley McTree posted:

Alright cool, thanks to both of you; I'll keep looking then (I actually solved the one that was giving me trouble, there were little climb points inside a building that I was overlooking)

It also looks like each vantage point also has a supply crate directly next to it, or at least so far that's been the case. So another pro tip apparently is to scan around for crates and see if you can find a way up to it.

You were only asking about Vantage Points and the answers given were correct but be aware that certain places in the game are actually impossible to get to until you've reached a point in the story. Then a missing handhold or ladder or something will appear.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Brother Entropy posted:

something worth bringing up for spider-man is that some base challenges don't get unlocked until the latter half of the game; for awhile i was worried that i was gonna have to double back and re-do any base i hadn't gotten all the base tokens out of yet if i was gonna squeeze out enough to keep unlocking suits and whatnot but then act 3 rolled around and now i have a buttload of new bases to do

e: also if you do enough side-content early on you can get in a situation where you need challenge tokens to unlock new stuff but you haven't unlocked challenges yet; just beeline the story and it'll eventually point you towards them

One thing I really like about the game is that it not only tells you to go off and do side missions and other non-story content but the story accommodates it. The story has things that need to be checked out or investigated but the game often gives you a short break between main missions because you're waiting to hear back from somebody. It's not the typical game where you feel the main character shouldn't be stopping to smell the roses when there are very serious and urgent matters to attend to.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zaodai posted:

The short breaks it has given me so far have all been extremely short, like "don't even make it to a side event before it tells me to go do the story again" type short. :saddowns:

The breaks can never be the perfect length to satisfy people who power through the story and people who need to be completionists every step of the way (plus everyone in between) but I appreciate the pretense that you've got time to spare between main events. Even a little wiggle room is enough where I go "yeah, let's say it took a while for MJ to call back and I had enough time to play pigeon catcher".

It's better than the old Spider-Man 2 system where you had to earn "Hero Points" by doing side stuff in order to unlock the next main mission. Mandatory fun isn't quite the same.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is that a soup joke?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mayveena posted:

Potions are always hard for me in games, I've died a zillion times with the needed potion just sitting there waiting for the 'right moment'.

This is something I've gotten better at over the years. There's a hurdle to get over as I start each new game but it's easier to get over everytime I do it.
Use powerful weapons, toss grenades, activate buffs, drink potions, etc. Maybe I'll die because I didn't conserve something or other but I'll have had more fun playing before I get to that point.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm catching up on Spider-Man. Looks pretty straightforward, but am I gonna have to watch my token spending or is there (eventually) enough to go around for all the upgrades? Like, if there are 55 hidden backpacks are there exactly 55 backpack tokens to spend across all the upgrade trees, is handling 5 crimes per district gonna give me all the crime tokens I'll ever need...?

The only ones that you may feel you're running short on will be Challenge Tokens which will be needed to get all suits and all gadget upgrades. You don't need to get Gold in all of the Challenges to earn enough tokens for that but you need Gold for 13 of them. Most people recommend prioritizing getting suits before maxing out all gadgets because there's a trophy for buying all the suits you can (an important difference between "buying" and earning because you can get that trophy and platinum without earning, say, the ESU suit) whereas the trophy related to gadgets is something like only 15 upgrades.

That said, if you think you can get Gold in 13 challenges and Silver in the others then you can just buy whatever you want because you won't be short. Also, if you are going to get the DLC there are more challenge tokens to be earned there that are solely for the purpose of buying suits in the base game. There are more suits in the DLC but they are all earned through other means, not by spending tokens.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 17, 2018

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shadow of Mordor was super fun when I got caught in those massive base fights where I was surrounded by dozens of orcs and named orcs would show up here and there. The one drawback was that ranged enemies forced me to the periphery of the fight too often when I would have preferred being in the thick of things.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Story wise the DLC are best played in order after the game. The main reason to venture into Hearts of Stone "early" would be for the further mutations but they take too long to be worth mixing the storylines.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I know it might seem frivolous but I would add to the wiki for Spider-Man (2018) that there is a toggle in the Settings that allows instant access to Photo Mode by pressing Left on the d-pad.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

juliuspringle posted:

Another thing for inFamous Second Son, this is my impression so I'd appreciate correlation and maybe help wording it better but in my opinion

The neon karmic bomb attack thing (you push down to use it, assuming you're good karma I have no idea about bad karma) works just as well for taking out those DUP mobile command centers as the smoke one does. In my experience either one is basically a one shot on those to get it so you can take out the battery or whatever on top.

This feels like it was mentioned many pages ago (I vaguely think Second Son was discussed a bit before) when you get neon you won't be able to use smoke again until you finish the mission. After you finish it you can swap back and forth by absorbing smoke/neon.

Just a couple things that personally worried me that I thought I'd share.

Been a while since I played but isn't the d-pad Down attack your ultimate attack no matter the power?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

faptown posted:

Please revert is usually really broken English for please reply.

Oh man, memories of dealing with overseas manufacturers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

juliuspringle posted:

Spider-Man plus The City That Never Sleeps (season pass I think) makes it complete right? I'm hoping to finally get Spider-Man soon (once I work out where it's cheapest) but I hate missing pieces of a game. I still haven't gotten around to Watch Dogs 2 yet because I can't justify $60 in cosmetic dlc (I was born in the 80's so I really want the neon stuff but unlike actual game and stuff the cosmetic dlc is NEVER on sale)

As far as anybody knows there is no more DLC so yes, the main game plus City That Never Sleeps is everything. CTNS is made up of three DLC chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You'll want to pick which suit you use based mainly on how ridiculous it will look in cutscenes.