Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008
I want to change the css background-image along with a few other things with jquery so I have these lines in a function
code:
$("body").css("background-repeat", "no-repeat");
$("body").css("background-position", "50% 50%");
$("body").css("background-image:", "url(img/flash.jpg)");
$("body").mousemove(function(e){
      $("body").css('background-position',(e.pageX - 250)+'px '+(e.pageY - 250)+'px');
    });
All of these work except the background-image one.
The image file is there and I've tried inserting it in the chrome console and it shows up but running this line doesn't seem to do anything
code:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Howmuch posted:

I want to change the css background-image along with a few other things with jquery so I have these lines in a function
code:
$("body").css("background-repeat", "no-repeat");
$("body").css("background-position", "50% 50%");
$("body").mousemove(function(e){
      $("body").css('background-position',(e.pageX - 250)+'px '+(e.pageY - 250)+'px');
    });
All of these work except the background-image one.
The image file is there and I've tried inserting it in the chrome console and it shows up but running this line doesn't seem to do anything
code:

JavaScript code:
//you can pass in an object to set multiple properties in one call
$("body").css({"background-repeat": "no-repeat"}, 
              {"background-position": "50% 50%"}, 
              {"background-image": "url(img/flash.jpg)"}) //you left the : in background-image
    //chain your calls to avoid potentially expensive selector re-creation
    .mousemove(function(e){
      //this is always the current element in an event handler (when using jQuery)...
      $(this).css('background-position',(e.pageX - 250)+'px '+(e.pageY - 250)+'px');
    });

//.. but it'd still be better to make the selector once and re-use it:
var $body = $('body');
/* other code, presumably */
$body.css({"whatever", "etc"})
.mousemove(function(e){
      //especially since this is going to run every time the mouse moves
      $body.css('background-position', (e.pageX - 250)+'px '+(e.pageY - 250)+'px');
    })

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 20, 2015

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

JavaScript code:
//you can pass in an object to set multiple properties in one call
$("body").css({"background-repeat": "no-repeat"}, 
              {"background-position": "50% 50%"}, 
              {"background-image": "url(img/flash.jpg)"}) //you left the : in background-image
    //chain your calls to avoid potentially expensive selector re-creation
    .mousemove(function(e){
      //this is always the current element in an event handler (when using jQuery)...
      $(this).css('background-position',(e.pageX - 250)+'px '+(e.pageY - 250)+'px');
    });

//.. but it'd still be better to make the selector once and re-use it:
var $body = $('body');
/* other code, presumably */
$body.css({"whatever", "etc"})
.mousemove(function(e){
      //especially since this is going to run every time the mouse moves
      $body.css('background-position', (e.pageX - 250)+'px '+(e.pageY - 250)+'px');
    })

Ah, cool. Did not know you could do that. Thanks!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Well, I figured out the checkbox problem. If I could figure out this last issue, I think I'd be set.

I have a group of radio buttons. When I check a radio button, I want to highlight that one and remove the highlight from any others in that group. Right now, my code will highlight a radio button. However, when I select a new radio button it will highlight that in addition to leaving the old one highlighted.

Here is a very simple example on JSfiddle: http://jsfiddle.net/p9qxkb20/2/

Any ideas how to go about this?

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 21, 2015

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Plant your brassicas in may and cover them in mulch.

Hughmoris posted:

Here is a very simple example on JSfiddle: http://jsfiddle.net/p9qxkb20/2/

There's no event for radio button de-checking.

http://jsfiddle.net/kyax0vrp/1/

:colbert:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

v1nce posted:

You're a genius.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
Fixed my issue. Not sure how or if I can even delete a post.

Cervix-A-Lot fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 28, 2015

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Was it a straight-up dumb mistake or was it something other people might benefit from? If it's the latter, don't delete your post. If it's the former, edit it to say "Edit: I am an idiot".

Etiquette.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy

v1nce posted:

Was it a straight-up dumb mistake or was it something other people might benefit from? If it's the latter, don't delete your post. If it's the former, edit it to say "Edit: I am an idiot".

Etiquette.

More of a, " this is a stupid way to try to implement something ".

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Easy Mac posted:

More of a, " this is a stupid way to try to implement something ".

So put it back, and let others learn from it. If I was king for a day, I'd make "oops, figured it out" edits hat remove the original content in this forum bans. This is probably why I'm not a mod or king or whatever though. Well that and being a jerk.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

v1nce posted:

Liar : http://jsfiddle.net/kyax0vrp/9/ :crossarms:

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

When I said "there's no event for radio button de-checking" I literally meant there are no events fired when you de-check a radio button.
As you've pointed out, there's also no change event fired on the inputs when a form reset is called.

So we have to add our own, to make this specific case work :jerkbag:
http://jsfiddle.net/kyax0vrp/10/

Not that this was part of the original question, or that I'd recommend putting form reset buttons in unless you absolutely require them.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

You are absolutely right on that account. No event is triggered when you "reset" a form, however, there is a means to "de-check" a radio button.
:goonsay:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That was never at question though.

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Jake Blues posted:

No event is triggered when you "reset" a form, however, there is a means to "de-check" a radio button.

Because the unchecking of radio buttons doesn't fire an event, there's like a hundred ways to make it gently caress up, not just a form reset.

Like just outright modifying the property: http://jsfiddle.net/kyax0vrp/11/

It's poo poo like this which is why people use <select> boxes over radio buttons for just about everything, seeing as how they basically do the exact same thing but one isn't all kinds of hosed up.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm having a problem at work and I'm curious if jQuery has the ability to help with it.

We have a program that displays forms to users using HTML. There is a variety of checkboxes, radiobuttons, textfields in the form.

What I'd like to do is when the user clicks the submit button, there would be something that fires and collects a snapshot of the HTML, and saves it to a .HTML file. This would be for audit purposes, so if a user claimed they submitted a form with certain boxes checked, we could pull up their "snapshot" and see a visual of what they had selected when they submitted the form.

Any ideas on how I could approach this?

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Hughmoris posted:

I'm having a problem at work and I'm curious if jQuery has the ability to help with it.

We have a program that displays forms to users using HTML. There is a variety of checkboxes, radiobuttons, textfields in the form.

What I'd like to do is when the user clicks the submit button, there would be something that fires and collects a snapshot of the HTML, and saves it to a .HTML file. This would be for audit purposes, so if a user claimed they submitted a form with certain boxes checked, we could pull up their "snapshot" and see a visual of what they had selected when they submitted the form.

We'll user selections aren't part of the HTML, so that wouldn't do much. You can just capture the entire post string on the receiving end (or before it's sent if you don't control both ends), and then show what values were selected if the question arises.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Hughmoris posted:

Is this a desktop application that happens to use HTML to render certain things, or a web application? If the latter, log every POST request from the form and you are done. If the former, then I guess you could capture the current screen as an image somehow, but that would depend entirely on the type of app and it's environment and so on. Either way, jQuery has nothing to do with the solution.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Lumpy posted:

Is this a desktop application that happens to use HTML to render certain things, or a web application? If the latter, log every POST request from the form and you are done. If the former, then I guess you could capture the current screen as an image somehow, but that would depend entirely on the type of app and it's environment and so on. Either way, jQuery has nothing to do with the solution.

It's the former, a desktop application that uses HTML to render forms. JQuery can be used in it though. I'll ask around about capturing the current screen. All of this isn't in my job role but it's a big problem and I'm just poking around for solutions. Thanks for the advice.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 18, 2015

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Hughmoris posted:

It's the former, a desktop application that uses HTML to render forms. JQuery can be used in it though. I'll ask around about capturing the current screen. All of this isn't in my job role but it's a big problem and I'm just poking around for solutions. Thanks for the advice.

Your best option (in my opinion) is to use jquery to serialize all of the fields and then log that serialized information to a database.

I do not believe you can take a "screenshot" with jquery (or javascript I'm general). So you need to do something to take the values that are selected.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

subx posted:

Your best option (in my opinion) is to use jquery to serialize all of the fields and then log that serialized information to a database.

I do not believe you can take a "screenshot" with jquery (or javascript I'm general). So you need to do something to take the values that are selected.

I'm 99% sure I read a blog post on how the Chrome team wrote a script that traverses the DOM and renders it to a canvas in order to make the screenshot you see when you submit a bug report but I can't find it now. It might be out there but it's totally pointless when you can just log the requests the form generates instead.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

I'm 99% sure I read a blog post on how the Chrome team wrote a script that traverses the DOM and renders it to a canvas in order to make the screenshot you see when you submit a bug report but I can't find it now. It might be out there but it's totally pointless when you can just log the requests the form generates instead.

I can see something like that being possible, had not thought of that. Seems like a lot of work though. I'm sticking with what I said (and you mention) of just logging the serialized values/request/whatever you want to call it.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

http://html2canvas.hertzen.com/

This came up pretty quickly in a Google search. Seems to be what you're looking for assuming it doesn't misunderstand anything weird about your DOM?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Munkeymon posted:

There was this presentation: http://www.elliottsprehn.com/preso/fluentconf/#/

subx
Jan 12, 2003

Looking through some of that documentation... A 14MB JSON file? Performance would be a serious issue, especially in a business environment where a lot of the PC's would be using old comuters with outdated browsers (if it would work at all in those cases, which I have doubts about).

This seems like a massive overkill for what he was looking for. If you can give us any more details about what you are wanting to achieve (we basically got that you want a way to prove that what they sent is what you saved), maybe we would be about to give a bit more in depth answer.

Is there some particular reason they believe you aren't properly saving their data? Maybe that's an issue that could be addressed rather than duplicating data.

WORLDS BEST BABY
Aug 26, 2006

Is this the right place to post our whimsical jQuery plugins? If so, I've just released talking-text, which takes elements and then types out their text a la old RPGs like Pokémon, Earthbound etc.

What makes it better than just a typewriter effect is that it also uses the Web Audio API to produce tones for each character typed, giving it the full retro effect. Lots of other options too for text pacing, custom callbacks, that kind of stuff.

(please feel free to use it in as many very serious client projects as possible)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I have no idea what I'd use that for but I love it a lot.

It goes a bit mental if you tab out during a tone in Chrome.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

WORLDS BEST BABY posted:

Is this the right place to post our whimsical jQuery plugins? If so, I've just released talking-text, which takes elements and then types out their text a la old RPGs like Pokémon, Earthbound etc.

What makes it better than just a typewriter effect is that it also uses the Web Audio API to produce tones for each character typed, giving it the full retro effect. Lots of other options too for text pacing, custom callbacks, that kind of stuff.

(please feel free to use it in as many very serious client projects as possible)

This is completely awesome but it froze my Firefox 35 tab up real good - computer stopped responding, ctrl-alt-delete didn't work, etc. I was a couple of seconds from a physical-button reboot when the tab managed to close itself. Have you played with it much across browsers?

WORLDS BEST BABY
Aug 26, 2006

Newf posted:

This is completely awesome but it froze my Firefox 35 tab up real good - computer stopped responding, ctrl-alt-delete didn't work, etc. I was a couple of seconds from a physical-button reboot when the tab managed to close itself. Have you played with it much across browsers?

I've tried it in all the major browsers including Firefox 35, and haven't come across anything like that. It's not doing anything particularly heavy, so I'm surprised that it could lock your browser up like that! I'd appreciate it if you were able to recreate it and dig up anything on it. If not, I'm glad you like it in any case!

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I was about to post that I couldn't reproduce it, but after a few refreshes the same problem came up again. I'm running simplynoise.com in another tab - might they be interfering with one another?

The frog's voice is supposed to be declining in pitch as it goes on, right?

I've also had the bird speaking with the (last, lowest pitched) frog's voice on a refresh.

WORLDS BEST BABY
Aug 26, 2006

Newf posted:

The frog's voice is supposed to be declining in pitch as it goes on, right?

I've also had the bird speaking with the (last, lowest pitched) frog's voice on a refresh.

I've created a monster

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

WORLDS BEST BABY posted:

Instead of using a timeout+callback to disconnect oscillators, you could try calling stop(lifetime/1000) immediately after calling start. Oh and probably then you'd want to hook onended to disconnect the node.

E: nevermind - spec says stop takes a double so that probably won't work

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 19, 2015

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Newf posted:

I'm running simplynoise.com in another tab - might they be interfering with one another?

[shameless plug] http://dtanders.net/noise/ [/]

Newf
Feb 14, 2006

This looks (sounds?) great so far. Thanks.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Newf posted:

This looks (sounds?) great so far. Thanks.

I know it doesn't look good but thanks.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
This may be better suited for the regular JS thread, but what's the best/easiest way to detect the addition of a new element, specifically a modal window? The method I'm using right now is
code:
 var detectElement = setInterval(function () {
        var detector = $("div#butts");
        if (detector && detector.length) {
//        do things in response to the existence of div#butts
  clearInterval(detectElement);
        }
    }, 100);
The problem is, if I include that last clearInterval call, then we won't detect div#butts if it is removed and then added again, which is undesirable, while if I drop the clearInterval, then this code will just detect div#butts again and do all those things again, every 100ms, which is expensive and has unpleasant side effects. I was considering doing some sort of event-handling, but I couldn't find any standard event for if an element is suddenly added to the DOM. I suppose I could try $("div#butts").load(function() { //do things }), but I'm not sure you can actually attach an event to an element that doesn't exist yet, nor am I confident that this event would fire each time div#butts is added. I shall find out, and return with findings.

ETA: Supposedly you can bind on dynamically created elements using jQuery.on(), but $("body").on("load", "#butts", {"foo":"bar"}, function() {alert("Things Happening")}); isn't working so far. Saddening.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 17, 2015

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Are you triggering the modal creation? If so, ideally you'd re-architect a bit to keep state out of the DOM (in this case, "is modal showing?"). One example you alluded to would be triggering a custom event that the code you provided could listen to.

Otherwise, you could try a mutation observer. You can attach to DOM elements and listen for changes.

Example with your proposed <div id="butts"></div>: http://jsfiddle.net/ysoacdzt/

More info: http://addyosmani.com/blog/mutation-observers/
Browser support (you'll need to polyfill for IE<11): http://caniuse.com/#feat=mutationobserver

EDIT: Thought this was the JS thread. Here's a jQuery-ified fork of the above example: http://jsfiddle.net/767bz8Lp/2/

hedgecore fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 18, 2015

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

hedgecore posted:

Are you triggering the modal creation? If so, ideally you'd re-architect a bit to keep state out of the DOM (in this case, "is modal showing?"). One example you alluded to would be triggering a custom event that the code you provided could listen to.
No, this is third-party code that listens passively for the modal window, so rearchitecting isn't an option.

quote:

Otherwise, you could try a mutation observer. You can attach to DOM elements and listen for changes.

Example with your proposed <div id="butts"></div>: http://jsfiddle.net/ysoacdzt/

More info: http://addyosmani.com/blog/mutation-observers/
Browser support (you'll need to polyfill for IE<11): http://caniuse.com/#feat=mutationobserver

EDIT: Thought this was the JS thread. Here's a jQuery-ified fork of the above example: http://jsfiddle.net/767bz8Lp/2/
Apart from the lack of IE<11 support and the loading expense of the polyfill, this looks good. Will have to get second opinion from boss on whether the additional loading expense of polyfilling is worth the improved functionality, but thanks for the answer. Why is it that IE never supports any of the cool stuff?

subx
Jan 12, 2003

darthbob88 posted:

No, this is third-party code that listens passively for the modal window, so rearchitecting isn't an option.
Apart from the lack of IE<11 support and the loading expense of the polyfill, this looks good. Will have to get second opinion from boss on whether the additional loading expense of polyfilling is worth the improved functionality, but thanks for the answer. Why is it that IE never supports any of the cool stuff?

Just add a modalExists variable and instead of doing clearinterval you set it to true. Also solves the recreate issue since you can have an else that sets it to false when it is removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

subx posted:

Just add a modalExists variable and instead of doing clearinterval you set it to true. Also solves the recreate issue since you can have an else that sets it to false when it is removed.
That would work, and next time the problem comes up I'll have to try it.

New question: Sometimes a client will load jQuery multiple times on one page, so depending on when certain scripts load, one of the plugins I need might attach to one version while another plugin gets another version. As a result, when my code attempts to call $("#thingy").plugin(), I get an error because $.fn.plugin is undefined, and everything breaks. Is there some way to choose which version of jQuery I use for a given plugin, or should I just continue yelling and screaming at clients to only load jQuery once?

• Locked thread