Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
We're coming up on the off-season here in the northern hemisphere, which is the perfect time to buy a new or used motorcycle. For those in the southern hemisphere, you'll be getting your licenses and starting out the season. '09s will be out soon leaving dealers wanting to get rid of as many '08s as possible.

First off, make sure you've consulted the biek wiki for the buyers' guides. It lists a ton and a half of things to look out for with buying used, and what bikes newbies should be looking for.

After that ask away about if you're getting a good deal, or the seller is getting a good deal on you. (Also, if you just want rationalization to spend a couple grand.) Please mention if you are a new rider (less than a year riding) as anything over 70hp is NOT recommended for beginners. It'll probably help if you mention what you've ridden in the past anyway.

Edit: The wiki is currently down. No clue if or when it will be back.

You can typically do a bit of research before asking if a bike's ok horse power wise by going to https://www.google.com and typing in the make, model, and year of the bike along with "hp" or trying https://www.bikez.com. For Suzukis, plenty of information is found at https://www.suzukicycles.org.

kdc67 fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 15, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
this is a good excuse to share what i just bought!

it doesn't run but all it needs is a piston and a cylinder repair! minor stuff.

it's got a big tube on it for some reason

and had a little problem here

got it for $350.

yes, it's a 440. i just sat on it last night and it killed me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

440 2-stroke? Good loving night.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
What kind of UJM should I be looking for as a beginning rider? I really want an old Honda CB 550 or something, but it's really hard to find anything that's not a new superbike or dirtbike around here. There's a '79 CB750 not too far from me, but that seems like a little too much power.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
:aaaaa:

So the first thing you should do is write up your will and let your loved ones know what you want done with your remains. That is, if there even are remains left.

And for the love of God, keep it away from Nero.

AkrisD, where are you located at?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
But.. I want that ktm. :-(

AkrisD posted:

What kind of UJM should I be looking for as a beginning rider? I really want an old Honda CB 550 or something, but it's really hard to find anything that's not a new superbike or dirtbike around here. There's a '79 CB750 not too far from me, but that seems like a little too much power.

What kind of ujm is ... a weird question. UJM is already very generic. You'll need to poke around your local craigslist and see what's available. Check out the horsepower of each.

I would push you towards a kawasaki or suzuki. Through the early 80's yamaha's have very flakey electrical systems. And the XS400's tend to drop timing chain guides.... If you can find a GOOD, running, pretty, honda, I can recomend those whole heartedly. Do not buy a honda as a project, you will hate life.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004

Nerobro posted:

But.. I want that ktm. :-(

What kind of ujm is ... a weird question. UJM is already very generic. You'll need to poke around your local craigslist and see what's available. Check out the horsepower of each.

I would push you towards a kawasaki or suzuki. Through the early 80's yamaha's have very flakey electrical systems. And the XS400's tend to drop timing chain guides.... If you can find a GOOD, running, pretty, honda, I can recomend those whole heartedly. Do not buy a honda as a project, you will hate life.

I suppose it is a weird question, I meant as in the older CB series bikes or older bikes with a standard/sporty riding position (aka not a "cruiser"). Basically an older bike like pre-90's or 80's. I think you got the meaning anyways, as that is the kind of advice I'm looking for, what brands to watch out for and what's easier to take care of.

Where can I get the HP of older bikes? I check Wikipedia and Google a bit and find all sorts of pretty useless info.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
I just use Google for anything that's not Suzuki.

1979 Honda CB 750 Check out the first link to Bikez. Typically I'll search for "year" "manufacturer" "model" hp. You'll probably end up at bikez.com most times.

Suzukis you can find at https://www.suzukicycles.org

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

this is a good excuse to share what i just bought!

got it for $350.

I can't freaking wait to ride this thing.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

AkrisD posted:

I have a '79 CB750 as my first bike. If it runs well, doesn't leak gas from the float bowls, and the owner recalls doing a valve job and syncing the carbs any time recently, you're good. Regardless of mileage, I wouldn't buy one now for any more than $1000 if it's PERFECT, more likely $800. The DOHC motors are good if taken care of, but they suffer from timing chain tensioner issues, so they're not always good over 40-50k without a rebuild. They also require valve adjustments every 5-6k, which will take you an afternoon to do if you have the shims on hand. Older SOHCs were adjusted via locknut, and thus way easier to deal with.

I'd look to the 69-78 SOHC bikes if I were you, or if you actually like working on bikes, a Suzuki GS or Kawasaki KZ. CB's are twice as annoying for everything you need to do mechanically, but that's just my two cents.

Otherwise, the bike has ~70 horsepower, but it's heavy. Not the greatest combination (something lighter would be a bit easier to start with), but it won't kill you with speed either.

Also, I planned on making the bike a cafe bike at one point, but whenever I put low bars on it my back hates me. I'm sure rearsets/a shaved seat would help, but you're better off just learning on the bike when it's setup standard. Low bars are neat when you're moving at a decent clip, but a bit annoying at low-speed/around town. But I'm also 5'8", which seems to be the minimum height for a CB.

George RR Fartin fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 2, 2008

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
How much money do you save when you buy at the end of the season instead of before?

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

I got my bike for $650, but it would've been around $1k if I had bought at the height of the season, for certain.

Carbon-12
Jul 27, 2006
Please Rev make that bike mad max style with the flat black and such.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Ziploc posted:

How much money do you save when you buy at the end of the season instead of before?

I think I saved about $200 - $300 on my Yamaha LT2 and easily $500 on my Suzuki GS550. Location does have a lot to do with buying used, though, and how much you like road trips. I'm lucky enough to be in the northern Chicago area so not only do I have Chicago, but I can easily trek to Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, etc.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Carbon-12 posted:

Please Rev make that bike mad max style with the flat black and such.
are you gonna be my blond twink sitting on the back cause i can't do it if i don't have one of those

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I'm looking to buy either an 08 R-6, 08 GSXR 750(cause it's the only bike in the middle), or 09 R1(I actually like the headlights).

Is there any way I can go about getting a deal in Jersey? I'd be paying straight cash for the bike.

Like what month should I hit the dealership and what not?

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I'm pondering the idea of getting a "real" bike. I mean this in the sense that I've been riding Honda scooters for the last 2 years. One (that I sold) was a 1984 Aero 50 2-stroke, the other is a 1983 C70 with a 110 Lifan engine I swapped into it. I really like the looks of the BMW R65, especially in flat forest green and am thinking of getting one in the indefinite future. I've heard about the vibration and other issues but also that it's super comfortable to ride. The area I live in is extremely hilly with lots of winding roads.
I know it's a 650, but it is an older bike and I've been dinking around on scooters for a while so maybe I can handle that power.

Anyway, if you guys have suggestions for why I shouldn't go for this, or what I should be considering instead, I'd love to hear it.

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus

meatpotato posted:

I'm pondering the idea of getting a "real" bike. I mean this in the sense that I've been riding Honda scooters for the last 2 years. One (that I sold) was a 1984 Aero 50 2-stroke, the other is a 1983 C70 with a 110 Lifan engine I swapped into it. I really like the looks of the BMW R65, especially in flat forest green and am thinking of getting one in the indefinite future. I've heard about the vibration and other issues but also that it's super comfortable to ride. The area I live in is extremely hilly with lots of winding roads.
I know it's a 650, but it is an older bike and I've been dinking around on scooters for a while so maybe I can handle that power.

Anyway, if you guys have suggestions for why I shouldn't go for this, or what I should be considering instead, I'd love to hear it.

This is pretty much perfect for a starter bike. ~50 HP, 4 stroke 2 cylinder engine isn't going to do anything unexpected, even if the engine is larger than a current gen optimal recommendation. I say go for it.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Don't focus on displacement. Displacement lies.

That old BMW clone, other than questionable brakes, is a good first bike. I don't care what the displacement is. A Sporster 883 is a good first bike, and that's nearly a literbike. On the other side of the same token, a RD or RZ350 isn't a great first bike. Small motor, but they have a wild powerband.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-DUCATI-1098S-LIKE-NEW-EXTREMELY-FAST-OHLINS-SUSPENSION-BRE-W0QQAdIdZ78144155

Never has a ad screamed scam until now.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 3, 2008

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
So I'm looking at picking up my first bike and found this on craigslist:

quote:

1982 Kawasaki LTD-440. 72,995 miles. Black. everything works. Asking $250.00 Call Gary if interested.

Would this be a good starter bike? Does anyone have any experience with these bikes? Anything to look for?

Edit: Because it's relatively late out here and I don't want to piss off the guy who could potentially be selling me a bike. His rear end is getting a call first thing tomorrow morning. I'm going to head down there, give him the money, and figure out how to get it home after it's mine.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Gr3y fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 5, 2008

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Gr3y posted:

So I'm looking at picking up my first bike and found this on craigslist:

Would this be a good starter bike? Does anyone have any experience with these bikes? Anything to look for?

What, you're here on the interwebs instead of checking out that bike?

KZ440 is a great starter bike. Sure the miles are a bit on the high side (maybe I shoudln't mention "high side" in the starter bike thread) but if it runs reasonably, has a title and isn't utterly wretched it's be hard to go wrong. If it doesn't appear to be running on wet leaves and doesn't sound like it is running marbles in the engine instead of oil, you could be golden. You could afford to replace the tires at that price.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
Oh good, I need people to tell me what bike to buy. I'm looking for a big sporty twin. Gonna be used a lot for commuting, so some comfort is nice, but I'm willing to trade off some of that for performance on the weekends.

Currently I'm tilting pretty hard towards a Honda Superhawk (VTR), but I'd like to hear some other suggestions for things to look at. There's quite a few RC51s for sale around here but those seem like they might be a bit much/too uncomfortable, and an SV1000 seems like it might be a bit soft for when I make my modest attempts at the twisties. These are all just impressions I have and not based on any real evidence so feel free to shoot me down.

How hard should I think about a TL1000 if I find one in good shape? Should I pretty much ignore them in favor of an SV? Anything else? There's a guy selling an Aprilia Tuono around here that's a little out of my price range, but I'm really tempted to try to make that work :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Twenty-Seven posted:

Oh good, I need people to tell me what bike to buy. I'm looking for a big sporty twin. Gonna be used a lot for commuting, so some comfort is nice, but I'm willing to trade off some of that for performance on the weekends.

Currently I'm tilting pretty hard towards a Honda Superhawk (VTR), but I'd like to hear some other suggestions for things to look at. There's quite a few RC51s for sale around here but those seem like they might be a bit much/too uncomfortable, and an SV1000 seems like it might be a bit soft for when I make my modest attempts at the twisties. These are all just impressions I have and not based on any real evidence so feel free to shoot me down.

How hard should I think about a TL1000 if I find one in good shape? Should I pretty much ignore them in favor of an SV? Anything else? There's a guy selling an Aprilia Tuono around here that's a little out of my price range, but I'm really tempted to try to make that work :(

Make the tuono work. That rotax engine, IMO, is one of the best twins ever made. Plus the suspension will be the best out of the box, so no work should need to be done there. Do it.

Besides that though, you pretty much have a handle on it. The tl will need shock work done to replace that rotary rear shock, if it hasn't been done, and is more of a sportbike. Sv1k is a little more capable than you give it credit for, especially with some minor suspension work. I'd go for the tuono first followed by the Sv/superhawk, then the sporty stuff.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 5, 2008

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

its u, your the one, the rill dill
i look into ur eyes and i see

:ccb:

Twenty-Seven posted:

There's quite a few RC51s for sale around here but those seem like they might be a bit much/too uncomfortable,

They're pretty aggressive, but I have friend whose SP-1 is his daily driver. He's done five-hour trips on it without too much trouble, and it's a fun weekend/track ride. Plus it's an RC51.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Speaking of murderous 2 strokes, is a Honda cr500 with a new motor worth a grand? The paper didn't list which year, but I doubt it matters at a thousand bucks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Terminus Est posted:

Speaking of murderous 2 strokes, is a Honda cr500 with a new motor worth a grand? The paper didn't list which year, but I doubt it matters at a thousand bucks.

If you like death, absolutely. There's a good condition running one for sale in SB for 800, and I'd buy it if I didn't feel like living out the rest of my life.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Z3n posted:

If you like death, absolutely. There's a good condition running one for sale in SB for 800, and I'd buy it if I didn't feel like living out the rest of my life.

Is it a life worth living though without a big-bore 2T? If I pick it up, I'd have to dual sport it and terrorize the countryside. Gravel roads, fields, front lawns, none would be safe. So tempting.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
After discovering the highway limits of my Ninja 250 today, I'm looking to move to something with a little more power / larger size. I'm 6'4" and 185. Would a 1998 BMW F650 have better handlebar placement for someone like me? Also, would the extra 25 or so hp give me a little more breathing room power for passing people?

Are there some other bikes that look this drat good and would step me up in power a bit?

I've only owned my 250 for a couple of months, so I don't want to jump onto something that's gonna be a wheelie machine of death. I bring up the F650 because a local dealer has one, they're pretty, its within my means ($4500 asking price, $3500 kbb retail value) and its gonna be an easy comparison if I ride over there tomorrow and hop on it.

"Flogging it like a rented mule" doesn't even describe what taking my 250 down I-35 was like today (WOT trying to catch up to my buddy doing like 85 is pretty sad).

sklnd fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 6, 2008

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
F650 is most certainly not a wheelie machine of death. i'm not sure about freeway passing power, i assume it would do ok around the speed limit. just watch out your front wheel doesn't fly off!

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
i have a 95 f650 and its pretty fast up to 70, will do 100mph flat out but its not nice, 80 is about as fast as its comfortable to. it'll out accelerate 99% of cars. and it'll only wheelie if you're trying or if you dump the clutch in first.
very comfy bike, very maneuverable, good mpg.
you have to keep the revs up to make smooth power, it lugs a bit at low rpm but its no big deal.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

echomadman posted:

i have a 95 f650 and its pretty fast up to 70, will do 100mph flat out but its not nice, 80 is about as fast as its comfortable to. it'll out accelerate 99% of cars. and it'll only wheelie if you're trying or if you dump the clutch in first.
very comfy bike, very maneuverable, good mpg.
you have to keep the revs up to make smooth power, it lugs a bit at low rpm but its no big deal.

Dammit, I really have to stop reading this thread. It's making life a whole lot harder. I know I'm poor, I know I have a brand new full motorbike license that's being wasted on my 125, but that doesn't stop my heart yearning for something more shiny.

One of the bikes I was looking at was a F650GS since I'd been told it was like my dualsport but actually had some legs for highway use. Nice to hear another opinion that's not completely contradictory. I think I'll settle for something after christmas.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004

kdc67 posted:

AkrisD, where are you located at?

Hampton Roads Virginia, my friend. Thanks to all the military bases around there's always a steady stream of brand new supersports that never get ridden, plus the riding season is fairly long. I did see an 82 gs450 that doesn't run(idle) today on CL, maybe I'll check that out.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
2000 Aprilia Pegaso, like the F650 but lighter, and with better suspension.

I had to work at this, it didn't just happen. It's a good starter bike if you are tall enough, very versitle, but not the best bike for long road trips. F650 riders do those long trips all the time, but trust me, there are better bikes for long road trips.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

AkrisD posted:

I did see an 82 gs450 that doesn't run(idle) today on CL, maybe I'll check that out.
What model GS450. And.. you want it. Bad. Trust me.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Gnomad posted:

2000 Aprilia Pegaso, like the F650 but lighter, and with better suspension.

I had to work at this, it didn't just happen. It's a good starter bike if you are tall enough, very versitle, but not the best bike for long road trips. F650 riders do those long trips all the time, but trust me, there are better bikes for long road trips.

I'm looking at an '06 Strada, (maybe an '08) probably will buy in the next few weeks. I'll use it mainly for commuting and shorter trips, though it will see some long tours in it's life. I'm hoping that "not well suited" doesn't mean "absolutely horrible at".

'08 Aprilia Pegaso Strada
'06 Aprilia Pegaso Strada

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
IIRC, the 06 Peg Strada has the Yamaha 660 single engine instead of the Rotax 650. Practical differences? Nothing substantial, both good motors. Aprilia imported something like 500 Pegasii into the US in 2000 and there were still Pegs in the warehouse in 04, very few peopole here knew what they were. I bought mine new in 2003, heavily discounted. They are pretty good on the highway, my main gripes were that they are not a 2 up bike, just a bit cramped, and once you get to a good highway speed there isn't much extra power so passing can be an issue. I'd go on rides with the local DS guys and the KTM's and Boxers would be sooooo gone while I motored on behind. I just couldn't (wouldn't) make those marginal passes in traffic.
They are a bit hard on chains, most big singles are, and the Peg uses a 520 so it's a bit lighter than what most street bikes use. The frame is the oil tank and it cooks what small smattering of grease the factory waves at the steering head bearings, so those need close attention-if a Peg or an F650 wander around like drunken sailors at low speed the head bearings are toasted. They are delightfully light, easy to pick up, inspire great confidence, all around a great bike, and I expect to really miss mine this winter, as that was my bike to stud up and ride all year. I managed to put 17K miles on mine from new over the course of 4 years, while sharing my limited riding time with a flurry of other bikes, which for me is a fair amount of riding and for most of the world isn't jack. The farthest I rode in a day was 500 miles, and TBH by the end of those rides the seat was biting my rear end hard. Other than that I was good to go for more. A good choice for a bike, even a first one.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

What do you guys think of this bike? http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/870760871.html

I've been realizing that I'm probably going to get killed sooner rather than later trying to ride my little 350 on the freeways around here.
People here are by far the most terrible terrible drivers I've ever encountered and very aggressive to boot. I need some evasion power and the little Honda is just about topped at 85 which is what most traffic seems to be flying by me at.

I don't know a thing about these older Suzukis beside the fact that I love the wonderful '80s look of it.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Man, I'd buy that if I figured I could hide it before Gnoma'am got home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Bugdrvr posted:

What do you guys think of this bike? http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/870760871.html
*snip*
I don't know a thing about these older Suzukis beside the fact that I love the wonderful '80s look of it.
Buy it. It's quite fast. Suzuki had learned by then, and even the R/R is reliable. It'll do roughly 140mph. ;-) It's fast enough. And they're a breeze to work on.