Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
CCT was updated in 2006ish when the sm came about. You can tell because of the revised bar switch and it also cuts the headlight on starting. The manual ones are fine.
Loctited stator bolts I think happened in '17+

Look for botched wiring.
The milk junk expansion tank is frail, if it leaks, you'll blow a headgasket because the electrics on this bike are dumb. Fix it with the same part for $40 or use a turkey baster.
Upgrade the charging system wiring, there's a connector that likes to fail.

There's not a lot to go wrong with these and they are going to rack up owners with age. They're the honda civic of dual sports. The world is your oyster.

I had an '01 that I bought in boxes with 25k miles and sold 2 years later with 55k miles on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

Fix it with the same part for $40 or use a turkey baster.

Weird way to spell monster energy can

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Weird way to spell monster energy can

Sir it’s not a yamaha

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Invalido posted:

A DRZ with a reasonable asking price just popped up locally, and I think I might go for it unless someone gets there first. According to the very sparsely worded ad it's a 2004 with 15,000 km on it and new tkc 70 tires. Is there anything special I should look at other than obvious stuff before buying, given that the title is clean (don't know the reg number yet so this is undetermined atm) and the seller isn't super sketchy? I've never ridden a DRZ but when I sat on one it seemed to fit my 183cm body pretty well, the bars were wide and the seat was pretty uncomfortable and that's all I know about these bikes other than it's considered a good light dual sport.

That's the first time I've seen "the seat was pretty comfortable" and "DRZ" in the same paragraph. If it's been sitting for a while there's a good chance you'll be taking apart the carb.

If it bogs at idle, it's worth noting that rebuild kits for DRZ carbs sometimes (always?) only include replacement fuel jet hardware but the pilot air jet can get clogged pretty easily and if you're just going through the items that come in a rebuild kit it's easy to miss.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I bought it. The guy was nice and not sketchy at all. The bike seems to be in very good condition considering its age from what I can tell. Seems to have lived indoors and been pretty pampered for what it is. A few scratches of course but overall I was pleasantly surprised. The CCT has already been replaced with a manual one unless I'm mistaken (there's a big hex head head sticking out of it and the color of the whole part sticks out as a replacement). There's a few mods that I'm not wild about - the heated grip switch is in a dumb location and slightly broken, and the bike has been lowered in the rear - the stock dogbone looking links were in the box of parts though. Someone has drilled a hole in the front fender for something that's been removed.
The very short test ride didn't reveal anything I though out of place and it ran great (at least I though so, not being used to carburation) once I put the petcock on reserve since it ran out of gas and struggled in the process of dying. I'll pick it up with a trailer in the coming days and post a few pics in the appropriate thread once I get it home.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Invalido posted:

Someone has drilled a hole in the front fender for something that's been removed.

I've seen people mount spare tube packs to the front fender with holes like that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Invalido posted:

The CCT has already been replaced with a manual one unless I'm mistaken (there's a big hex head head sticking out of it and the color of the whole part sticks out as a replacement).

Yep, thats a manual tensioner

Congrats! DRZ's rule

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Thanks! Yeah though super short the test ride made me confident that this bike is indeed gonna rule. I'm excited to ride it for real and go explore all those gravel roads and logging tracks I tend to avoid on either the sv or the 50cc scooter. Maybe I'll even learn how to wheelie a little who knows? It felt like the bike wants me to try it at least.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Do Triumphs have any maintenance gotchas? Specifically I'm looking at a 2023 tiger sport 660 a dealer has for near MSRP out the door. I hate dealers and all but swore I'd never buy from them again but this one actually gave me a price without too much dicking around.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Has anyone seen any Hypermotard 698s at the dealers yet?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah they look hella sick bro. They are pretty small which I know may sound dumb but I was expecting it to be tall like a 690.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I have been eyeing the multistrada v2s, there are a few for sale up here. Think I’m gonna wait another season and tour on the vfr for now