Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Zool posted:

Silky Thighs posted:

A friend of mine is selling a 2002 Kawasaki ZX6R, 13,000 miles with helmet/jacket/gloves for $3500. There's no damage to it, and only some minor scratches. I was thinking of getting it for next summer.

Any thoughts? All the stuff also matches, which is a plus..:P.

Looks exactly like this...

Edit: Has it up on craiglist

http://utica.craigslist.org/mcy/853259932.html
Those headlights are gross.

Those headlights are also incredibly powerful. I have an '08 ZZR-600 and it has the best headlights of any bike I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

relaxzguy
Feb 12, 2008
all business
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/mcy/907111986.html

Any thoughts on that GS? What do you guys think a fair price would be? I was thinking somewhere around $900, perhaps.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

relaxzguy posted:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/mcy/907111986.html

Any thoughts on that GS? What do you guys think a fair price would be? I was thinking somewhere around $900, perhaps.

Seems about right. I wouldn't pass on it for a grand though. Heated grips are nice.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/908955545.html

This seems like a hell of a deal, and I would prefer a naked bike anyway so I might just take all the fairings off.

The problem is that it's my first bike, do you think it's too big?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
It's got more than 100hp, that's to much for a first bike. If you need an example of what that sort of bike can do, that's the same model bike that abunchofnumbers lost his arm riding.

I'll bet it's sold already.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Jesus, that is a loving deal.

But yeah, not a great beginner bike.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Yeah but it's a Yamaha so it's got like 8 ft-lbs of torque. As long as he keeps it below 9000 rpms, it'll be the functional equivalent of a parallel-twin standard.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrKatharsis posted:

Yeah but it's a Yamaha so it's got like 8 ft-lbs of torque. As long as he keeps it below 9000 rpms, it'll be the functional equivalent of a parallel-twin standard.

Yeah, but apparently the pull of the engine above 9k is enough to remove limbs.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
And I'd be bound to take it above 9k eventually. I'm finding bikes left and right, but I just can't seem to find the right one.

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot

Stoic Commie posted:

And I'd be bound to take it above 9k eventually. I'm finding bikes left and right, but I just can't seem to find the right one.

Just take your time and shop around this winter, something will pop up. The deeper it gets into winter and the more the mercury resides at the bottom of the thermometer, the lower prices go. Keep that in mind. Occupy the spending money bug with leathers/helmet/gloves etc in the meantime. Just be ready to seagull that 250 that pops up due to financial troubles.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Is this a semi-decent deal if I can haggle him down?

2000 Honda Nighthawk 250, 17k miles. Asking $1500, but it's been up a week with no takers, so maybe I can get it for $1300-1400.

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/899165883.html

I've been following CL for two weeks, and Austin prices seem to be running higher than folks mention finding in other parts of the US. I was gone from Austin for 1.5yrs, and bikes and mopeds have [/i]really[/i] gained popularity since I was gone, so maybe the local used market is just pretty tight?

The absolute cheapest Rebel (not counting some junkers) has been $1750 for a 2006 with 8K miles (with a pink custom paint job), for comparison.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/911419528.html

I called this guy and he said that the frame, motor, and trans. are all fine which is what matters. And he had a parts list from a local salvage dealer, $350 to get it back on the road.

He said he had all the levers and they were fine too. This could be a very satisfying project and probably wouldn't be too difficult.

He said he bought it back from the insurance company after his friend died on it and it has a legal VIN, but only comes with a bill of sale.

So in my never ending quest for a first bike, what say you?

Edit: It's an '89 fyi.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Stoic Commie posted:

[project 250 with a history of death]

Maybe it's just me, but I would just stay away from a bike that has already killed one person. That and you really should just get a bike that works right off the bat so you can concentrate more on riding than taking care of a bike.

Unless you are a serious gearhead, I say pass. Have you tried going to local dealers? My GF got lucky and found a 98 for 1500 one day at a dealer that had just been traded in, I also got lucky in finding an 07 last year that was leftover (both 250's).

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/910991650.html
CB160. Good bike, slow, but good. New battery, new tires, new chain. Probally needs a condensor, and a carb clean.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/910876232.html
Yeah, its $1200, but drat it's a good bike.

What's your budget? And detoit is barren of good bikes right now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Stoic Commie posted:

I called this guy and he said that the frame, motor, and trans. are all fine which is what matters. And he had a parts list from a local salvage dealer, $350 to get it back on the road.

He said he had all the levers and they were fine too. This could be a very satisfying project and probably wouldn't be too difficult.

He said he bought it back from the insurance company after his friend died on it and it has a legal VIN, but only comes with a bill of sale.

Edit: It's an '89 fyi.

Pass...I know it sucks, but wait for the right bike to come up. It will come. Keep looking, keep posting.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Yay! I found an 2001 SV650 for $2,600 on my drive home. Like most others have mentioned, it's right between too much for a beginner, and just enough to keep it for a few seasons without wanting that trade-up itch.

Anybody have any suggestions? I'm contacting my local motorcycle forum for help with a pre-inspection buy as I'm a noob.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Do you have any info on it? Thats a pretty swell price for an SV.

The 1st gen SV is pretty awesome. As far as a beginner bike goes, your right for it being possibly to much, possibly perfect. I started my street riding on one, and took it easy until I built up some skill and confidence.

The engine is pretty tame if you control your wrist a bit. If you can flat foot it comfortably, you probably wont drop it unless you really mess up a low speed maneuver. If you have some self control and approach motorcycling responsibly, you'll find the SV can make a great beginners bike and with some skill can be a very fast, very fun bike. I thought I was going to ride mine for a year or two and get rid of it, but I quickly realized its everything I want in a street bike and can't imagine parting with it.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
asdjflajsdkfjlaksdjfklasjdlfjadskfjlsdf

He sold it right before I called. I'm retarded I guess.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Captain Apollo posted:

asdjflajsdkfjlaksdjfklasjdlfjadskfjlsdf

He sold it right before I called. I'm retarded I guess.

I had craigslist on quickdraw for 2-3months with cash in hand before I found something purchase-worthy, and didn't sell within 30-60min of being posted. Keep looking!

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Is this a semi-decent deal if I can haggle him down?

2000 Honda Nighthawk 250, 17k miles. Asking $1500, but it's been up a week with no takers, so maybe I can get it for $1300-1400.

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/899165883.html

I've been following CL for two weeks, and Austin prices seem to be running higher than folks mention finding in other parts of the US. I was gone from Austin for 1.5yrs, and bikes and mopeds have [/i]really[/i] gained popularity since I was gone, so maybe the local used market is just pretty tight?

The absolute cheapest Rebel (not counting some junkers) has been $1750 for a 2006 with 8K miles (with a pink custom paint job), for comparison.

No reply yet, and I just passed MSF today, getting license in next day or two.

Is anyone all "OMG nooooo" about me buying the above bike if I can wiggle him down to $1200-1300?

I'm moving in April and will be selling whatever bike then, and I'm reasonably sure that, with the weather being great by then, I won't have too much trouble selling it for a reasonable price. So I guess I'm less concerned with "meh, kinda expensive for what it is", and more concerned about "Nighthawks go to poo poo after X miles". So long as it'll serve me as a starter bike until April, the sell for around what I paid for it, I'd be happy.

Any glaring concerns?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

No reply yet, and I just passed MSF today, getting license in next day or two.

Is anyone all "OMG nooooo" about me buying the above bike if I can wiggle him down to $1200-1300?

I'm moving in April and will be selling whatever bike then, and I'm reasonably sure that, with the weather being great by then, I won't have too much trouble selling it for a reasonable price. So I guess I'm less concerned with "meh, kinda expensive for what it is", and more concerned about "Nighthawks go to poo poo after X miles". So long as it'll serve me as a starter bike until April, the sell for around what I paid for it, I'd be happy.

Any glaring concerns?

Nope. Look over it before you buy it for stuff that you'll immediately have to dump into it, moneywise, like chain, sprockets, and tires, if needed, use that to talk him down more. Change the oil on principal when you get it, and ride it. :)

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Stoic Commie posted:

I like that. "My friend's dead, but hey the frame, motor, and trans are fine! You'll be ok." Furthermore, why were his thoughts, "I'm going to buy back and sell the bike that killed my friend"? If I were him, I wouldn't even want to touch the thing. Creepy.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
if it were something big and badass like an SV1k that would be kinda cool. it would be like a haunted evil ghost bike and poo poo. but a ninja 250?

civilian.d
Sep 21, 2006

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
this has been for sale for like 6+ weeks now... it seems a good price to me? is this a modelyear with a lot of problems or is there some bad aura around it for some reason i don't know?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/908553688.html

unrelated - this was at the bottom of a craigslist post i just looked at and it made me laugh...

"P.S.

One more thing, if your name is Minh Pham and you're looking at this ad, I'm sorry, you can't buy this bike even though I know you really want to. I don't think you're ready to move up from your scooter yet. "

civilian.d fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 10, 2008

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

There is no "bad" gs. That's why they have such a following. Now, what's bad is that that bike has been chopped to hell. take a close look at it, if you think you can manage to work around the PO's choppery, have at it.

mattmofob
May 2, 2005

DUCK
Would a TW200 be a good bike for the street?

I have a beat ninja 250 that I want to replace because I don't like the styling or color of the bike.

I like the TW200 because it has the fat rear tire and it's pretty simple.

But I also like the new er-6n for it's fuel injection and styling.

I could care less about performance, I just want a new bike that hasn't been messed up and is reliable.

Are these two bikes ok for a noob?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Z3n posted:

Nope. Look over it before you buy it for stuff that you'll immediately have to dump into it, moneywise, like chain, sprockets, and tires, if needed, use that to talk him down more. Change the oil on principal when you get it, and ride it. :)

Without my even asking, he pointed out that the chain and tires were replaced in the last three months, so no problems there. Looked pretty good overall.

I ended up buying it for $1100 and a Ruger 9mm pistol (that I paid $180 for). If I can sell it for somewhere towards $1200-1300 in April when I leave Austin, I'll feel pretty good about it.

I managed to get it back to my house (12 blocks away) without too much trouble, but I'll definitely be doing a lot of neighborhood and parking-lot practice before I take this on any 35+mph roads. In this respect, I suppose caution is a virtue.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

MrKatharsis posted:

Zool posted:

Those headlights are gross.

Those headlights are also incredibly powerful. I have an '08 ZZR-600 and it has the best headlights of any bike I've ever seen.

Did you half cover yours in tape/paint too?

civilian.d
Sep 21, 2006

OK - if you had a choice between a first gen and a second gen SV650 - what would you go with? Here's the info on each.

the 2000 : 8k miles, clean title, bone stock (NO mods), regular maintenance,

the 2005 : 14k miles, new rear tire, multiple owners, custom cherry bomb exhaust (must have been a one-off by a mechanic friend), rebuilt title - been layed down once. allegedly it was only cosmetic damage.

the 2005 is 400 bucks more, but they're both selling for pretty good prices (i've been watching the market on SV650's here for 3+ months)

i'm leaning towards the 1st gen. lower miles + clean title seems like a better buy, unless - are there any special things you can imagine that would make the 2005 more appealing? i guess the main diff other than the frame is carbs vs. fuel injection. does one really have an advantage over the other? i personally like the looks of the 2005 a little better, i like the 'pointy' frame and the taillights/rear of the bike... but that's not enough to base my whole choice on.

i need to make my choice in the next couple hours - i'm getting one or the other tomorrow morning. any advice would be great!

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
The 2000, definitely. The '05 sounds sketchy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

First gen, hands down.

The age, not such a big deal, the multiple owners, salvage title, "custom" exhaust...bigger deal.

The 2nd gens aren't significantly better, anyways.

civilian.d
Sep 21, 2006

In retrospect, I'm not really sure why I even asked. That was my gut reaction, and what i expected to hear.

Well... new bike tomorrow! Yay!

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
How would a fixer-upper Vision fare as my first bike?
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/936921586.html

Craigslist posted:

All of the needed parts are readily available on ebay and motorcycle salvage yards.
There is NO current title. However, we have the original title (with white-out on it), letters to old owner trying to find him, etc. We were told by the state all we have to do is file for a lost title - not a big deal, we just did not do since it was not running yet.
Motor cranks over nicely using the starter and seems to have good oil pressure. I think something is wrong with the spark timing or weak coils.

I've inquired about the usuals, plus the "all the needed parts.." bit, but otherwise, is it worth the $185? And does anyone have any idea about filing for a lost title? I don't want to get swamped in fees.

mattmofob
May 2, 2005

DUCK

AncientTV posted:

How would a fixer-upper Vision fare as my first bike?

I wouldn't go near a bike with no title that is 100% complete.
This is a POS basketcase with no title.

If this was your "project" bike and you always wanted a 1982 Yamaha 550 Vision then I say go for it.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Title stuff is always iffy. You would think if it was such a quick procedure the owners would have filed for it already. Not saying that it may not be true, you would have to do some research on your own.

To me, unless I have some time on my hands and it's something special, I would use a bike with no title for parts.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
The Vision is one of those bikes that does have a following, but as a first bike or only bike, even complete and running, might be iffy. It's one of those bikes that engineering wise was ahead of the capabilities of Yamaha to properly implement it at the time. I'd say pass on that one, spend the $185 on the MSF course if you haven't taken it already.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Bummer, and I've taken the MSF, I'm just trying to cope with my college budget right now.

Thanks anyway all.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Just to dampen it a bit more. It will cost you at least $140 more to make it street legal. (title, plate, etc...) Also keep in mind that the tanks aren't common. And it's got that nasty yamaha emissions pump BS. Which it really seems to need to run right. They also have the "bust-o-matic" 80's yamaha fuse holders.

That said, it makes 60 some horsepower. And they're narrow, and easy to manage.

I'd buy it, but only to fix and resell... But I wouldn't recommend you buy it.

TheUltimateCool
Dec 2, 2008
I have limited experience turning wrenches, and I just found a local 1983 Honda Magna for sale for $200. The ad states that the bike ran when it was put in the garage but no longer does. I would really like to buy it and gain some valuable experience getting it running.

I imagine it will need a new battery, new plugs, a good carburetor cleaning, fresh oil, and a fresh tank of gas... is there anything else that would have died a slow death over (however long it's been sitting in the garage?) I feel comfortable tackling all of the above. Is this a bike that is better left alone, or is this feasible? I know hondas of that vintage can have fickle charging systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

If it really was running when parked it probably just needs a carb cleaning, fresh fuel, maybe some plugs, a battery and oil change to get going again.

You will want to change the rest of the fluids, go over the brakes and put some new rubber on it before you take to the streets though.

For $200 you really can't go wrong. Even if you decide it sucks and you don't want to screw with it, you can easily make your money back parting it.