Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I guess this whole thing is to post stuff about your own car, discuss subarus, and ask questions. Have fun.

In case you are unfamiliar with Subarus, I suggest watching this video to find out what we're all about :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91_LT2EQOJ8

or maybe I meant this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59dHABgEAIw
and this: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwb-RNbdx5U (please excuse the ford content)

Actual useful subaru information section

first off I'll put in my contact info
my email is peter at functionauto.com
I have an AIM account under the same address which is online most of the time

I'll add to this as people suggest things.

Oil

The type and weight of oil you use should depend on the way you use your car. If all you do is commute and never drive the car hard, go to a track, or auto-x, it doesn't really matter all that much, and you can stick with the 5w30 or whatever is recommended (in the older cars, the manual recommends oil grades based on conditions). That said, I still recommend using 5w40 synthetic in all EJ turbo Subarus for nearly all conditions. This gives you some added protection in warm climates and under high load conditions. Change it every 5k miles or so, and check the level often. For an FA turbo, 5w30 is usually fine. For n/a FA/FBs I stick to the oem recommendation of synthetic 0w20. For older non-turbo cars, it doesn't matter as much.

If you are tracking the car, you might want to have something even heavier. The reason for this is that it will still maintain acceptable viscosity and pressure despite high oil temperatures. The best way to determine the appropriate oil is to monitor pressure and temperature under typical operating conditions. A track car should have an external oil cooler, an upgraded radiator, and oil pressure and coolant temp gauges.

Headgaskets

The subarus that have had problems with them are the N/A 2.5l cars. The first EJ25s were especially bad, so if you're looking at an older 2.5 impreza or legacy make sure they have been changed to the new MLS (multi-layer steel) design. Subaru has been making MLS gaskets for the phase 1 96-99 2.5 turbos which is basically a thicker sti gasket. Part number is 11044AA610. This gasket will only work in phase 1/DOHC engines.

If you have a 99-09 n/a Subaru it also has crappy headgaskets, and they continued putting cheap gaskets in for much longer. Currently a dealer will give you mls gaskets for those probably. 04-06 STi headgaskets can also be used. The are the same thickness, have all the holes in the same places, but are a multi layer steel (MLS) design, compared to the junk single layer coated gaskets. Part number is 11044AA642.

For 2010 the n/a subarus finally got a MLS gasket which is pn 11044AA770, or the same gasket in the 2008+ STi. The only difference between this gasket and the -642 are the holes for the cooling passages in the head.

So to summarize
if your phase 1 2.5 needs headgaskets get 11044AA610
if your phase II 2.5 needs headgaskets I like 11044AA642. I think the new oem gasket is 11044AA633.
if you have a 2010+ you don't need to worry about this.

turbo car power mods

If you want to make more power with a turbo Subaru, the most important thing is having a way to tune the ECU to deal with your added parts. One of the easiest ways to do this is with a Cobb accessport. It plugs into the ODBII port and will read codes, engine information, log data, and flash different maps onto the ecu. You can have multiple maps on an accessport, and switch between them on the fly. If you don't want to spend the $600 on an AP, you can also directly reflash the ecu using open source software, a laptop, and a tactrix cable, but it's not quite as easy or convenient. The other most important part is actually tuning the ecu. An accessport comes with maps, and you can download maps from cobb based on your modifications. For simple upgrades like a downpipe or intake off the shelf maps are fine, but once you start changing things like turbos and injectors and internal engine parts like pistons and cams the car needs to be professionally tuned on a dyno. There is nothing wrong with a dyno tune for "stage 2" parts but it may not be cost effective.

Since it's possible to simply reflash the ecu, the last thing you want to do is put on piggyback tuners and manual boost controllers. The ECU will do a much better and safer job controlling all aspects of the engine operation. With an aftermarket larger turbo, it is necessary to change the boost controller, but you should use an electronic 3-port solenoid which can still be controlled by the ecu. Some people use a hybrid system with a 3-port and an MBC which can prevent boost spikes.

When it comes to parts to make more power, improving the breathing ability of the stock engine and turbo is step one and will create very substantial gains. The best bang for the buck modification you can do to a turbo Subaru is an aftermarket downpipe and a reflashed ecu. This will generally result in at least a 50whp gain. Doing all the rest of the "stage 2" stuff- intake, full exhaust, etc, will also make a difference but not quite as much as the downpipe. The approximate limit of an STI or 09+ WRX stock turbo on pump gas is around 320-330whp. For more power, bigger turbos, intercoolers, and injectors are necessary.

Tuners

Here are some well regarded subaru tuners. I'll expand upon it eventually:

Cobb- there are four of them in Texas (2), Oregon, and Socal.
Yimisport
P&L motorsports
Top Speed
EFI logics
GST motorsports
AMS
Church Automotive Testing
Maxwell Power Services
Phatbotti tuning
UMS tuning
Turn in Concepts

if a tuner isn't on this list it doesn't mean they suck, just that I don't know about them.

N/A power mods

Your poo poo is slow and will always be slow. Drive your car as is or trade it for a WRX. A turbo motor swap is a cool project but expensive and time consuming.

Tires

Good tires appropriate for intended use are the best modification you can make to a Subaru, or any car. That usually means summer tires in the summer and winter tires in the winter.

Suspension

Don't buy Tein S-techs, and don't buy cheap coilovers. Good struts and some springs and swaybars will get you farther than e-bay garbage. If you want a complete coilver set, you'd better be sure it comes with actual good dampers. Most products under around 2k (and plenty above it), do not come with good dampers. I'm partial to koni, bilstein, kw, ast, and jrz, but there are plenty of other good shocks out there. You just have to pay for them.

Swaybars- yes they help, I like Whiteline. The stickier the tire, the more swaybar you should have. IE- stock/small/no bars for rally, 22mm for street, 24mm for street tires on track, 27mm for r-comps on track. This is just a general guideline and bars should be sized on a case by case basis.

Other suspension parts that are going to help in pretty much all cases:
Whiteline ALK
Upgraded bushings
Anything from Turn in Concepts or Racecomp Engineering
Kartboy parts

All of which you can get from me

Blow-off valves

Stop, no, and don't. Subarus are maf-based and a bov will make your car run like poo poo and sound like poo poo.

Transmissions

No, your 5-speed is not made out of glass. But yes, they are known to fail. A lot of it is due to abuse, but the fact is the is only so much room in that case and the gears themselves are not very big. gears were strengthened and widened in 03/04, and if you blow up an older transmission a full LGT gearset can be had for about 1100 (they are the same dimensions as the STi RA gearset and slightly larger than the improved 5-speed wrx stuff. The 08+ wrx probably has them too but I haven't checked. If you upgrade to these gears, having them WPC or REM ISF treated is an inexpensive improvement. If you are making significantly more than stock power levels through a 5-speed, don't be surprised when you break something.

If you are considering an expensive gearset for a 5-speed, skip it and buy a 6-speed.

6-speeds don't really break. You'll fry your clutch or break axles first. Many high-power drag and road race cars use the stock boxes without much issue.

things you will typically need to replace at some point on an older subaru

Any old car is going to need maintenance, I'm sure this list isn't much different for any other car:

timing belt, tensioner, water pump, all idlers every 105k
cv joints/axles
wheel bearings
steering rack boots
ball joints and tie rods
struts
suspension bushings
radiator - they eventually leak where the plastic endtanks are crimped to the aluminum core, you want a full aluminum replacement.
exhaust parts
valve cover gaskets
the occasional sensor, O2 and knock are common.

Subaru Websites

nasioc - largest online Subaru community, plenty of morons, but an incredible amount of good info tucked into faqs and stickied threads.
iwsti - sti specific. Seems to have reasonably good technical information
scoobymods - detailed how-to guides for your basic installs
legacygt - legacy specific forums, mostly for the new ones
sl-i - legacy forum for mostly older models, lots of 2nd gen guys there.
legacycentral - 1st gen legacies
rs25 - 1st gen impreza
3gwrx - 08+ imprezas
subaruforester.org - lesbian mobiles
mysubie - sort of a facebook type deal for subarus
wrxclub, iclub, awdjunkies - they exist, and that's about all I know.
northursalia - good resource of technical information
cars101 - detailed specs by year and model
opposedforces - need to look up a part number? go here
subarugeuineparts - need to buy an oem part? go here after you look up the part number (or use their catalog)
subarupartsforyou - oem webstore that has a better format than SGP and also provides part numbers

Where to buy stuff
Ask me first; I have access to a ton of things. goons get discounts and not just on Subaru parts.
For OEM stuff subarugeniuneparts or one of the other online wholesalers are much better than your local dealer
For aftermarket non-performance stuff I have a hard time beating amazon and rock auto

List of various engine related parts and seals:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1I4BBQURc6-BCfO9keOoBQEp8tjGr9MZ4Xu1hXlqXmTo/edit?usp=sharing

jamal fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The "I just bought a Subaru" thread was turning into a general Subaru thread. I think this is a good idea. Might be worth putting some info into the OP like a comprehensive guide to Subaru engines with respect to headgasket failures, since this seems to be the most common question anyone asks.

I also want to mention that I just ordered my first new car, a 2009 WRX 5-door, and I couldn't be happier with my decision to buy a car and wait 6 to 8 weeks for it to show up without having had a test drive. Not my first Subaru, though.

edit: I may have fooled people with my custom title, but I do not actually have a white and gold Subaru. I had wanted to get gold wheels for it, but never did. It is just white and gray. I'll have to change that once I get my new car.

edit2: I thought your video was going to be the Mountain Lab one. This is so much better.

carticket fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 2, 2008

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
On the less sporty side of Subaru, I'll take your flannel and add hiking boots, a buzz haircut, and probably a membership to an organic supermarket.

Loved my first Outback when I got it, but the evolution since that model is leaving outdoorsy and rugged behind in favor of cross-over mundanity. Oh well, no real loss there.

I like the new WRXs.

the damn Ruskis are back
Jan 25, 2006

And blew, Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came!
How difficult is a headgasket job in a 2.5 na subaru versus a more conventional engine? I imagine it's even more of a pain in the rear end compared to a nissan or something. This is something I might have to do to my old subaru which has since passed down to my little brother.

edit: 96 outback if it matters.

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

efnii posted:

How difficult is a headgasket job in a 2.5 na subaru versus a more conventional engine? I imagine it's even more of a pain in the rear end compared to a nissan or something. This is something I might have to do to my old subaru which has since passed down to my little brother.

You have to pull the motor.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

efnii posted:

edit: 96 outback if it matters.

I posted pictures of the process in my project thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2941958

You basically have to pull the engine and take it completely apart. While you're at it you should replace all the seals, gaskets, idler pulleys, timing belt and tensioner, and water pump. It'd also be a great time to drop in some delta cams if you're interested in more power. It's not a bad idea to pick up an sti oil pump and re-seal the pan either. But by then you've spent over $1000 and that's well on the way to a wrx motor. My parts total came to about $600 for all the seals and a timing belt, tensioner, and water pump.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 2, 2008

the damn Ruskis are back
Jan 25, 2006

And blew, Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came!
Ah, might as well just grab a low mileage longblock instead then. Thanks

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

well, if you grab a low mileage long block, it's still going to cost more, you're still going to have to do similar maintenance at some point, and you're still doing a similar amount of labor. I don't really have to touch my motor for 100k miles and it only cost me $600. The 2.5 dohc, with the right gaskets, is a great motor and makes power all the way to redline. Unless you're swapping in a turbo motor and ecu don't bother.

That assumes that you haven't overheated the motor on blown headgaskets and warped the heads, cracked a ringland, or spun a bearing, of course.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
How late were the 2.5L headgaskets a problem? Specifically, is there a potential issue on my wife's '03 Forester (NA)?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

A friend of mine used to work for Subaru and I've watched him do the head gaskets without pulling the motor a ton of times. Pull the intake and associated crap then the (I'm pretty sure it was usually drivers side) head. He used to have the job done in around 5-6 hours.

i_heart_ponies
Oct 16, 2005

because I love feces
Hi I like granola, long walks in the mountains and my 07 WRX wagon.

Seriously though, compared to my last car (00 VW GTI 1.8t) this thing is a loving dream and I am totally gay for Subaru.

Bampalo
Mar 7, 2001

Remember: everyday that you wake up, proves that God doesn't exist.
Awesome, a subaru thread! I picked up a 2005 STI about a year ago after wanting an impreza since I was 12. Not the most practical thing, but doesn't matter when the kid in me gets all excited every time I drive it. I only wish I didn't have the terribly common Rear strut clunk that apparently plagues the sti. It wouldn't bother me if there were more strut options for the 05+ (i'm looking at you KYB)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Awesome.
I'll whore out my 2005 Legacy GT wagon (manual, no-sunroof) that I've whored out so many times before

AccessPort V2
Racecomp Tarmac 1 Coils
Cobb Swaybars
SuperPro LCA bushings
Summer: Re01Rs on 17x7.5 SSR Competitions
Winter: Nokian RSIs on OEM wheels
Street/Auto-x: Hawk HPS
Track: Carbotech XP-10

Best picture ever:

What Subaru's are made for

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Jo3sh posted:

How late were the 2.5L headgaskets a problem? Specifically, is there a potential issue on my wife's '03 Forester (NA)?

I'm not 100% on this, but I think the gaskets are mostly confined to the 1999-2002 models, since Subaru issued a warranty extension for those model years.

For living in snowy or icy areas, I can't think of something better than a Subaru as a daily driver, especially with the 5 speed and the 50-50 power split. It never ceases to amuse me when I'm able to pull away from a stop sign in the winter with just a little wheelspin, while people driving Excursions and lifted F-150's sit there furiously spinning the rear wheels.

Also, I can't think of anything more fun than finding an icy, empty parking lot and tossing my Forester around for a little while.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
Ive always been intrigued by the Subaru XTs. Can someone give me the low down on these funky wedges?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

azflyboy posted:

Also, I can't think of anything more fun than finding an icy, empty parking lot and tossing my Forester around for a little while.
Frozen lakes are better
Subaru's need wipers for the side windows.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Johnny Eskimo posted:

Ive always been intrigued by the Subaru XTs. Can someone give me the low down on these funky wedges?

Don't they eat transmissions like popcorn, or is that just the SVX?

We had a rental '08 Legacy on a trip last month...even for a base-model 170hp sedan with an autotragic, it was actually a very nice car. Enough so to make me seriously consider a Subaru in the future, especially the Legacy and its derivatives for when certain family members decide they need a new car.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

nm posted:

Frozen lakes are better

This is on my "to do before I die" list. All I have are a couple big parking lots.

Watching something spin around 4 times and then just charging off is breath taking.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

We had a rental '08 Legacy on a trip last month...even for a base-model 170hp sedan with an autotragic, it was actually a very nice car. Enough so to make me seriously consider a Subaru in the future, especially the Legacy and its derivatives for when certain family members decide they need a new car.
A rental 05 Legacy when my car was in the body shop also got me thinking legacy.
They're even better with a manual and a turbo

burtonos posted:

This is on my "to do before I die" list. All I have are a couple big parking lots.

Watching something spin around 4 times and then just charging off is breath taking.
Come to Minnesota in Feburary
Hell the speed limit on the lakes is 50mph. . . .

nm fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 2, 2008

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nm posted:

A rental 05 Legacy when my car was in the body shop also got me thinking legacy.
They're even better with a manual and a turbo

I believe it. The only reason I haven't said "for myself" in there is the price on a new one, and the abuse on a used one. I could afford a new WRX, but I'd have to convince the wife and she'd much rather have a Mini Cooper; and while I could swing a used WRX or Legacy GT without her approval, I know they get raped hard.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

jamal posted:

to be fair, it wasn't stock, and part of the maf wiring harness melted. Now that it has a new shortblock with better pistons and rods, we expect to make some good power with this turbo:

Whats going on here? Is this some sort of test rig?

fatlightning
Nov 7, 2006
I have a 97 legacy gt sedan with 80k miles on it. It runs great and ive never had to do anything to it other then replace two rotors(my fault). I am a little worried about this head gasket issue, mainly because I don't think I could afford the repairs. I don't drive it hard, and always do scheduled maintenance. How worried should i be about blowing a head gasket?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

nm posted:

They're even better in Diamond Grey Metallic with a manual and a turbo

Fixed it for you...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

I believe it. The only reason I haven't said "for myself" in there is the price on a new one, and the abuse on a used one. I could afford a new WRX, but I'd have to convince the wife and she'd much rather have a Mini Cooper; and while I could swing a used WRX or Legacy GT without her approval, I know they get raped hard.
LGTs don't get abused so much.
My wagon still had most life left on orginal RE92s after 36k when I picked it up ;)
It also still had indentations from the baby seats :)

ssjonizuka posted:

Fixed it for you...

Atlantic Blue Pearl, wagon, and a face not just a mother could love ;)

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

nm posted:

LGTs don't get abused so much.
My wagon still had most life left on orginal RE92s after 36k when I picked it up ;)
It also still had indentations from the baby seats :)

Atlantic Blue Pearl, wagon, and a face not just a mother could love ;)

Goddamn those are such terrible tires, do your wagon a favor and get some RE050A Pole Positions.

Also, you're not allowed to post photos of your car anymore, it makes me cry :smith:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

nm posted:

Frozen lakes are better

I did an Ice Racing event once a few winters back. I had the driver's side window down to accommodate a side mounted camera, and the track was essentially a large clockwise loop, so I was basically sideways without a windshield the entire time. I had snow everywhere in the car after that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Powers posted:

I did an Ice Racing event once a few winters back. I had the driver's side window down to accommodate a side mounted camera, and the track was essentially a large clockwise loop, so I was basically sideways without a windshield the entire time. I had snow everywhere in the car after that.
Yeah.
I literally have had to stop to wipe off the side window so I cansee where I'm going.

TurboLuvah posted:

Goddamn those are such terrible tires, do your wagon a favor and get some RE050A Pole Positions.
They got tossed out nearly the minute I got them even with 1/2 tread
Nokian RSIs and RE01Rs (which are much better than the PPs)

Oh and

;)

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Everything I read on SVX sites about the SVX when I was obsessed with the SVX said that the SVX ate transmissions...until you gave it an aftermarket transmission cooler.

Also, SVX = prettiest coupe in North America in the 90s.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

BTW, some pictures of my current car:
Doing what it was meant to do.

Post doing what it was meant to do.

It is really like a stealth car in the snow.

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004
I've had a few Subies over the years. Bought my first one in 01 as a winter beater. Loved it so much I sold the Jetta I was saving from salt, it still rusted away while stored.

91 Legacy wagon. 2.2 liter bullet proof motor. I'd let it sit unloved for 4 months at a time and it would fire up on the first turn of the key.

Construction sites can be fun

Winter is even more fun

Moved "up" to a 97 Legacy GT with infamous 2.5 headgasket queen motor. Didn't even get to have it blow, pulley siezed and took the valves with it on the first year of ownership, replacing the heads bought me a headgasket job thank you very much.

Still was a riot to drive when working properly.

Considered doing a WRX swap and decided to just buy a 2.5 turbo and be done with it. Showing my love of lesbians and desire to move large square objects I bought this 05 XT

Which soon turned to this

and was very much fun here

Until some aholes stole it and did this (on the same week after I put on the wheels with brand new 615's.

So I replaced it with this 07 XT Sports

Which is even more fun doing this

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
Mastria Subaru is the poo poo, the service guys and mechanics are awesome.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Nice XTs. I would not mind driving one of those at all. Shame about the white one though :(

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
Oh god, the tire position in the last frame of that .gif makes me think of someone falling and breaking an ankle.

I give you the least-molested used wrx on earth:

And yes, I'm totally irreversibly gay for turbo subarus now.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Aftermarket wheels might normally not be much of a molestation, but those wheels are akin to raping a child and getting away with it. (Maybe it's just me, but I hate white wheels)

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler
Own flannel and hiking boots? Check.
Golden Retriever? Check.
Organic food store membership? Check.
Subscription to Backpacker? Check.

Hopefully all of the above makes me qualified to own this:

2004 Forester XT 5 speed. No mods or anything fancy. Great thing about it is that it hauls rear end, insurance is dirt cheap, and not having every idiot with a fart can trying to race me at stop lights.

But you assholes with snow are making me jealous. I might have to take a road trip this winter just to try it out in the snow. Florida isn't exactly Subaru heaven.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Disclaimer: my wife threw away all my flannel.

1995 Subaru Impreza Wagon 1.8
Paid $850 for it 2 years ago with 190k miles.
Here's the day after I bought it:

and 40k miles later, here's a trip from this summer:

Kiel
May 26, 2003

jamal posted:

:love: Tell me more that sexy yellow one!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

My 04 wagon is getting all of this later this month.

Not pictured is the FMIC.

Car shots

JudgeJoeBrown fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 3, 2008

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
Hey Bob, youve got my exact same car :) and Im in Florida too! And really miss snow.

Anyway, I bought a black 2004 Forester XT 5 speed early this summer, and have loved every bit of it. All Ive done is add an accessport so far, though. I cant decide what to do with the suspension, though. I really love being able to just go crashing over whatever lovely streets I have to drive through, but I really want it low like Me-262s car.
I really, really want to paint the roof rails black, too. Looks a lot cleaner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
I have the most cliché Subaru ever, a 2005 WRX Sedan with 5-speed in World Rally Pearl.

I haven't done any mods, as I've previously owned two heavily modified cars and I'm keeping this one stock for a change.

Behind it are my Mother's 2007 Forester Sports XT and my Father's 2006 Baja. After I bought the WRX my family realized that owning 80's GMs was kind of lame and they upgraded to reliable cars that were easy and logical to repair.

Alzabo fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 3, 2008