Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
that's a nice looking loyale but the Legacy is a much better car in every way.

Here's my old one shortly after I got it:

Here it is about 8 years later:

then it spun some rod bearings, which was mostly my fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
If i end up with another Legacy/Outback wagon what's my best option for dirt cheap mashing car? Someone mentioned the 1.9l engine being solid, but I forget if the wagons have them or if they're all just 2.2/2.5l. I can spend more, but I'd like something I can just drop like 1500 bucks on and not care about.

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 8, 2008

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

idiotsavant posted:

I'm a terrible horrible person and drove my '98 Outback into the grave by ignoring serious engine problems for 6+ months. With no garage (some things about living in the city do suck) and a dead, smoking engine, it was easier at the time just to sell the carcass.

If you dont mind me asking, what engine problems did it have? Headgasket?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm going to look at a 97 automatic Legacy wagon today or tomorrow, along with a Jeep Cherokee of the same year. Both the same price ($1500), but the Legacy has 50k more miles on it.

Can anyone give me some tips on what to look for on the Legacy? Any problem areas that need special attention? Also how do you tell if it's a 2.2 or 2.5?

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.

leica posted:

I'm going to look at a 97 automatic Legacy wagon today or tomorrow, along with a Jeep Cherokee of the same year. Both the same price ($1500), but the Legacy has 50k more miles on it.

Can anyone give me some tips on what to look for on the Legacy? Any problem areas that need special attention? Also how do you tell if it's a 2.2 or 2.5?

A '97 Legacy would have the 2.2 liter engine. If you lift the hood, it should say the engine size on the stamp. Heck, I think it even says 2.2 on top of the engine.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

8ender posted:

If you dont mind me asking, what engine problems did it have? Headgasket?

I didn't look too far into it, but headgasket may have been one of them - there was definitely a slow (sometimes more than slow) leak of oil coming from somewhere. The biggest issue was that the car would totally miss on acceleration, generally at lower speeds - not really like an engine stumble I guess where the engine would be knocking around and choking, more like when you're going up a hill with a full load in too high of a gear. When it died the engine was smoking pretty bad, and the car had absolutely zero power - I couldn't even get the key out of the ignition. No garage plus weekly street sweeping made it easier to sell than fix.

choo choo
Nov 26, 2002
Here's a pic of my '02 WRX, out at AutoX in August. I've had it since last winter, really enjoying the options out there for modding and making the car into exactly what I wanted.

Around August I also put on an Invidia turbo back (bellmouth DP), catless uppipe, and a Stg2 OTS tune, and what a difference!

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
drat this thread. I'm fairly positive I'm going to be trading in my '06 S2000 for a white '08 Forester XT Sports now. I talked my roommate into buying an '07 WRX TR over a year ago and the Forester Sports caught my eye then. I decided against it at the time, but the more I see awesome pictures of those and the more I realize how small my S2000 is, I really want one (with an STI suspension and wheels package.)

This is blasphemy for me though, after having owned an Evo 8 and an Evo 9, along with about 12 other turbo Mitsubishis over the past 8 years. Shame on Mitsubishi for not stuffing a 4G63 and AWD system into every car they make.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

BoostCreep posted:

drat this thread. I'm fairly positive I'm going to be trading in my '06 S2000 for a white '08 Forester XT Sports now. I talked my roommate into buying an '07 WRX TR over a year ago and the Forester Sports caught my eye then. I decided against it at the time, but the more I see awesome pictures of those and the more I realize how small my S2000 is, I really want one (with an STI suspension and wheels package.)

This is blasphemy for me though, after having owned an Evo 8 and an Evo 9, along with about 12 other turbo Mitsubishis over the past 8 years. Shame on Mitsubishi for not stuffing a 4G63 and AWD system into every car they make.

The XT is a great car, and for a few grand extra you can make it a really great performer.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Another XT checking in here.

As long as Subaru keeps making AWD vehicles with turbos I can't picture myself buying a car from any other company.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Goddamnit. This thread + my increasing hatred for my Volvo is making me really, really want to do some stupid financial things to get a bug-eye WRX.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Goddamnit. This thread + my increasing hatred for my Volvo is making me really, really want to do some stupid financial things to get a bug-eye WRX.

I just bought one, you know you want to...ditch the Swedes man, c'mom do eeeeet

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

choo choo posted:

Holy poo poo. Sup Ontario goon photographed by Wes Tanney! Hit me up! My contact info is in my profile.

Click here for the full 640x427 image.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
Im probably not doing it right, but i just accessport dyno'd my 07 wrx on stage 1 93oct flash, and made 580hp, 600flb torque in 4th gear...hmm

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

IOwnCalculus posted:

Why the hatred on the volvo?

For what it's worth - You might better enjoy a LGT. The 05-06 is getting to a point where you can find a decent example for pretty cheap, odds are they'll have been well taken care of (more so than most bug-eyes), and you get some of the big boy toys... (god I love my butt-warmers when it's -40F, which isn't really applicable to you just saying the extra luxury and interior options are nice).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ssjonizuka posted:

Why the hatred on the volvo?

Because I'm driving a beater worthy of a junior in high school with busted A/C, no power accessories, and that fails emissions with a whopping 114hp four-cylinder. Let's not forget that the trunk springs are trashed, the interior is sparse and full of broken plastic, and the driver's side rear door is jammed shut.

It runs and drives, and that's about it. Obviously I shouldn't, and don't, expect much more than that out of a car that cost me $1300 a few years and ~25,000 miles ago, but it doesn't mean I can't get tired of it :v:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Dammit.
Anyone know anything that will trigger an 'er SS' on a 2005 legacy GT that's not a speed sensor.
Speed sensor was replaced, and it's still there. Next move is that ring on the axle unless there's some common issues.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

IOwnCalculus posted:

Because I'm driving a beater worthy of a junior in high school with busted A/C, no power accessories, and that fails emissions with a whopping 114hp four-cylinder. Let's not forget that the trunk springs are trashed, the interior is sparse and full of broken plastic, and the driver's side rear door is jammed shut.

It runs and drives, and that's about it. Obviously I shouldn't, and don't, expect much more than that out of a car that cost me $1300 a few years and ~25,000 miles ago, but it doesn't mean I can't get tired of it :v:

Ahhh, I'm probably thinking of the other goon (lloydDobler?) with the c series convert. and the rebuilt DD that turned out pretty nice. Given the above... What are you waiting for? I drove a bug-eye on a few occasions, and it was pretty decent, but the lag/whatever you want to call it was pretty maddening. I'm guessing a "stage 2" would make a world of difference on that end though.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

BoostCreep posted:

drat this thread. I'm fairly positive I'm going to be trading in my '06 S2000 for a white '08 Forester XT Sports now.

Well the "financial crisis" mixed with how much I still owe on my S2000 makes it impossible for me to get the Forester. The blue book on my S2000 4 months ago was $26,000. Now it is barely 19k. Oh well. I guess I can just keep drooling over internet pictures and hating myself for making the wrong decision.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Seeing all of these Subaru's enjoying autocross, rallycross, etc. makes me sad that I've only been able to use my WRX to drive to and from work lately, having to miss over 2/3 of the autocross season due to working too drat much.

To add insult to injury, the WRX is going into storage next week since I have to go hang out in the Middle East for a year.

Sad WRX in question (old pic):

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
Another question. I need some budget snow tires for my stock rims for here in MI. What should I get. (05 WRX)

The cheaper and longer life the better, but mild snow performance would be nice.

Thanks

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Click for full.

I was just loading my car up at 11:30 PM with bags full of clothes (half the units in this building have a bed bug problem, mine excluded, but they are spraying all of them, and they advised I wash everything and bring it back after it is sprayed), and the lighting was awesome.

There is a very yellow/orange light up in the trees above this parking spot, and the light was hitting the car through the leaves which were also yellow/orange, so the whole thing was completely bathed in yellow/orange. I did 7 source shots and an HDR merge and then desaturated it a little bit. I didn't add any color, or subtract any color (aside from the 50% saturation across the board). I thought the effect came out pretty cool.

You can also fit 9 kitchen trash bags full of clothes in the trunk of a 96-01 Impreza.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

kylej posted:

Another XT checking in here.

As long as Subaru keeps making AWD vehicles with turbos I can't picture myself buying a car from any other company.

gently caress you for getting the exact Forester I was willing to fly across country to purchase. ARG!!!

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008
Quick Subaru related question: I noticed that in my 04MY WRX when I get anywhere above 4k RPM in first, when I clutch in to shift, the engine and transmission seem to lurch...like move more than they should and I can actually "feel" them moving, when I shift into second and let the clutch out, everything is smooth again. This seems to be slightly more aggressive when I am shifting closer to redline and the speed with which I operate the clutch doesnt seem to make them move any less. I was thinking the mounts might be going but this happens only in first gear and only above 4k rpms. Is this just normal Subaru "stuff" or...what? Help me goons!

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
Ugh..called the dealer about 30K mile maintenance. They wanted close to $500 just for factory recommended items. Called All Aspects, a local Subaru specialty garage and they said $220. Hmm..

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

BannedForLulz posted:

Quick Subaru related question: I noticed that in my 04MY WRX when I get anywhere above 4k RPM in first, when I clutch in to shift, the engine and transmission seem to lurch...like move more than they should and I can actually "feel" them moving, when I shift into second and let the clutch out, everything is smooth again. This seems to be slightly more aggressive when I am shifting closer to redline and the speed with which I operate the clutch doesnt seem to make them move any less. I was thinking the mounts might be going but this happens only in first gear and only above 4k rpms. Is this just normal Subaru "stuff" or...what? Help me goons!

Experiment with when you lift off the throttle and when you clutch in. You could be lifting off to early throwing the engine in the other direction while its still connected to the wheels and when you throw the clutch in the drivetrain might still be oscillating from the jolt.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Lando posted:

Ugh..called the dealer about 30K mile maintenance. They wanted close to $500 just for factory recommended items. Called All Aspects, a local Subaru specialty garage and they said $220. Hmm..

Dealers are a ripoff for anything not done under warranty.
I went through the exact same thing, but got quoted $650 from a dealer and only $300 from a local shop.

The local shop had the job done in half a day (the dealer wanted at least 24 hours), and didn't try to sell me extra services, which I've never had a dealer do.

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

nm posted:

Dammit.
Anyone know anything that will trigger an 'er SS' on a 2005 legacy GT that's not a speed sensor.
Speed sensor was replaced, and it's still there. Next move is that ring on the axle unless there's some common issues.

Rear wheel bearings. The ABS tone ring/speed sensor pickup on them is rubber and when dirt gets in there it scratches the rubber cover and messes the signal up. 05s have a unitised bearing so you dont need a press like the older ones, its just 4 bolts and an axle nut to change it out.

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008

Lando posted:

Oh god, dealers. Im used to changing spark plugs on small I4s, which take all of 15 minutes. At first glance the boxer looked much more tedious. I decided to ask the local Subaru dealer during an oil change how much they charge for changing the spark plugs, "The spark plug change is $300." My jaw literally dropped infront of him. "Oh, its because the WRX uses SPECIAL PLATINUM spark plugs, theyre advanced." I was really fighting back telling him I wasnt retarded.

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004

azflyboy posted:

Dealers are a ripoff for anything not done under warranty.
I went through the exact same thing, but got quoted $650 from a dealer and only $300 from a local shop.

The local shop had the job done in half a day (the dealer wanted at least 24 hours), and didn't try to sell me extra services, which I've never had a dealer do.

Praise the lord that our local Subie club has several technically inclined members who are more than willing to teach you how to do it. I can now service/change my own brake discs/pads, bleed the brakes, change transmission and rear diff fluid, swap out suspension and perform an alignment. gently caress you local Subaru dealership with your $95 @ hour shop rates. I put that money towards buying new tools.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

BannedForLulz posted:

"The spark plug change is $300." My jaw literally dropped infront of him. "Oh, its because the WRX uses SPECIAL PLATINUM spark plugs, theyre advanced." I was really fighting back telling him I wasnt retarded.

:colbert:

"No sir, I think I'll handle this one on my own."

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Haha, I found changing plugs on the boxer not bad at all. Certainly not as easy as an I4 where they're right there but all I needed to remove was the washer fluid reservoir and intake pipes.

The only plug job worth anywhere near $300 is on a GM 60 degree V6. Now thats a lovely job.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ChunksNensja posted:

Rear wheel bearings. The ABS tone ring/speed sensor pickup on them is rubber and when dirt gets in there it scratches the rubber cover and messes the signal up. 05s have a unitised bearing so you dont need a press like the older ones, its just 4 bolts and an axle nut to change it out.
Sweet, plus there's a 100k mi warranty on them, free fixes that involve no work from me are the best.

nm fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 12, 2008

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
yeah as long as you have the right socket plugs are not too bad. I don't see how anyone could get away with charging more than an hour for labor. Or $50 per plug.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jamal posted:

yeah as long as you have the right socket plugs are not too bad. I don't see how anyone could get away with charging more than an hour for labor. Or $50 per plug.
It's not Subaru, but the local Audi dealer here is over $150/hr on labor (I've never paid the local subaru dealer, so i don't know the rate) So in reality, with massive part markups and say 1.5hr book, I can see where nearly $300 comes from.
Not that I'd pay it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BannedForLulz posted:

Oh god, dealers. Im used to changing spark plugs on small I4s, which take all of 15 minutes. At first glance the boxer looked much more tedious. I decided to ask the local Subaru dealer during an oil change how much they charge for changing the spark plugs, "The spark plug change is $300." My jaw literally dropped infront of him. "Oh, its because the WRX uses SPECIAL PLATINUM spark plugs, theyre advanced." I was really fighting back telling him I wasnt retarded.

Actually I think the plug change cost that much because it's a bitch to do. Any boxer motor however, a plug change is a bitch.

Anything else on the car tho.... oh what a nice thing to work on. Had the suspension out to get rid of the dreaded strut knock (strut knock isn't dying struts, it's actually bad lubrication) and to do some other work that I'm keeping unspecified at present - and really, everything is just nice. I do have to make a tool to make takign the strut tops off easier but it's all good.

Also was really surprised just how easy it would be to turn an 06 into a race car. Noticed a few nice touches that would make a conversion soooooooo easy...... and a lack of things getting in the way. There is also IS quite a handling difference between my 06 and the 07 I also been driving about in. Prolly have to have a good look this week when both are up on jack stands.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

jamal posted:

I figured out how to do it with just some tips from people and some helpful tools in an hour, including taking them off again to do a compression test and reassemble it.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
I'm looking for a steering column mounted 52mm gauge pod, but I can't seem to find them on the part sites I've looked at.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I cited my sources and all he said was, "owned owned owned owned owned"
I'm really looking to buy a last-gen Impreza WRX or 2.5RS in the next year, so thanks for this thread.

I am a bit worried how the 07 Impreza stood up in the 2007 Car and Driver comparison test. Can anyone comment on this? It's on their website - I would link it but the url wont fit in the tag.

edited for retarded model mixing

Tatrakrad fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 13, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Tatrakrad posted:

I'm really looking to buy a last-gen Impreza or 2.5RS in the next year, so thanks for this thread.

2.5RSs are Imprezas. Do you mean WRX?

This? http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison_test/hatchbacks/2007_vw_gti_vs_subaru_impreza_wrx_tr_mini_cooper_s_nissan_sentra_se_r_spec_v_mazdaspeed_3_grand_touring_comparison_test

EDIT: Weird. When did URLs get to long for tags?