Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

TurboLuvah posted:

I'm looking for a steering column mounted 52mm gauge pod, but I can't seem to find them on the part sites I've looked at.

for the column just use the bracket that comes with the gauge.

Otherwise there's a replacement cluster surround that mounts two gauges. I though perrin made it but I can't find them on the site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
02 WRX owner here. Cobb Stage 2/Perrin UP/Kartboy SS + bushings and some minor exterior/interior things. Saving up for a V7 EJ207 swap.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Where the hell is the place you refill a gearbox when you do an oil change...?

And I really gotta stop getting under the car and thinking "Hmmm now that would be a good place to mount a sump guard...."

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

And I really gotta stop getting under the car and thinking "Hmmm now that would be a good place to mount a sump guard...."

the dipstick tube. I don't visualize that as being easy on an LHD car. Might have to take off the IC.

Funny thing is that for the 08 6-speed they ditched the dipstick and there is just a hex plug on the top of the tranny.

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

Cat Terrist posted:

Drivers side, between the intercooler and the turbo. Use a hose and fill it slowly. Too quick and it will pressurise the gearbox and you will be wearing the gear oil.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ChunksNensja posted:

Drivers side, between the intercooler and the turbo. Use a hose and fill it slowly. Too quick and it will pressurise the gearbox and you will be wearing the gear oil.

Well bugger me, there really is a dipstick there. I don't think I've ever seen that in a manual before. Makes that little job easy.

Thanks to you both :)

Apart from the plugs, the WRX is really such a straightforward car to maintain or repair. I haven't really see anything that makes me wonder WTF they were thinking.

scheissmacht
Oct 23, 2000
hey fellers, I can join this party now I guess, picked it up Saturday

04 Outback Sport, 71k on the clock but very clean and well maintained

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Since my RS is getting traded in, I swapped out my STi short shift kit and Kartboy bushings with a friend's stock linkage (chopped shift lever though :I), and oh my god, the first thing I'm getting when I get my WRX is the shift kit and bushings.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Mr. Powers posted:

Since my RS is getting traded in, I swapped out my STi short shift kit and Kartboy bushings with a friend's stock linkage (chopped shift lever though :I), and oh my god, the first thing I'm getting when I get my WRX is the shift kit and bushings.

I'll go ahead and say that anyone with a manual Subaru should have this as the first on their To-Do List. Get the Cobb DA shifter and bushings and you'll be set, adjustable height and throws.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

I'll go ahead and say that anyone with a manual Subaru should have this as the first on their To-Do List. Get the Cobb DA shifter and bushings and you'll be set, adjustable height and throws.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

jamal posted:

for the column just use the bracket that comes with the gauge.

Otherwise there's a replacement cluster surround that mounts two gauges. I though perrin made it but I can't find them on the site.

I was looking at those, and there is another that replaces the bezel, but I only want a single pod for a boost gauge. I like the stock one, but it's only 45mm, and has that retarded Lamco gauge in some weird moon units instead of psi.

Edit: Dammit how did I do that again. Apparently it's not a good idea to post after you've just woken up.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
The Lamco gauge is in MPa (megapascals) for some reason. Boostin' from 0 to .15 doesn't sound much fun. Its bar but with the decimal in the "wrong" place.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

TurboLuvah posted:

Looking at the Cobb shifter, you can adjust one side for height and the other side for throw? The only problem I forsee is that with the proper short shift kit (STi), they include a shortened shift linkage, as well, and it is designed so that the linkage won't hit the metal surround around the shift lever. As I understand it, when using the Kartboy shifter, some people need to bend the plate to give the linkage room to move.

I don't think the adjustability is going to be useful to me, and while the STi kit is more expensive, I know I won't have any problems with it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ChunksNensja posted:

Rear wheel bearings. The ABS tone ring/speed sensor pickup on them is rubber and when dirt gets in there it scratches the rubber cover and messes the signal up. 05s have a unitised bearing so you dont need a press like the older ones, its just 4 bolts and an axle nut to change it out.
Is the ring part of the wheel bearing on these cars then?
Or do they just share the same seal?
(I know nothing about ABS and would like to know something before i take it to the dealer tommorow)

nm fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 13, 2008

spodermang
Aug 12, 2004

just your neighborhood friendly spodermang
I just got a 2009 WRX. It's a step up from my old 2001 Passat.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Mr. Powers posted:

Looking at the Cobb shifter, you can adjust one side for height and the other side for throw? The only problem I forsee is that with the proper short shift kit (STi), they include a shortened shift linkage, as well, and it is designed so that the linkage won't hit the metal surround around the shift lever. As I understand it, when using the Kartboy shifter, some people need to bend the plate to give the linkage room to move.

I don't think the adjustability is going to be useful to me, and while the STi kit is more expensive, I know I won't have any problems with it.

an engineer on saab92x.com designed and manufactures these short shifters and seems to garner a lot of praise. I'd love if anybody who has tried them could chime in or anybody who knows what to look for. They're a good $100 or so cheaper than the Cobb and seems to be fully adjustable.

http://www.ixizconcept.com/
frames but go to Control > Shifter ixizShift II

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

spodermang posted:

I just got a 2009 WRX. It's a step up from my old 2001 Passat.

The sport grille is so bland compared to the stock '09 grille.

edit: Not ragging on your purchase, ordered one myself. I just see the sport grille now and it is so plain. In person you see right through it and there is just... nothing.

carticket fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 14, 2008

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
What engine do the pre 2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sports have? Is it only the 2.2 or did some have the 2.5 as well?

At some point here I'd like to get a project car to have some fun with, and I like the idea of buying an old one for sub 5k and having some fun seeing what I can do with an N/A build and trying out rally racing.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Mat_Drinks posted:

What engine do the pre 2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sports have? Is it only the 2.2 or did some have the 2.5 as well?

I believe they came with either the 2.2 or the 2.5 depending on the year. Of course the 2.5 for those years had the head gasket eating problem but if you're looking for a project car the new head gaskets fix the problem permanently and it would make a great project car.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

8ender posted:

I believe they came with either the 2.2 or the 2.5 depending on the year. Of course the 2.5 for those years had the head gasket eating problem but if you're looking for a project car the new head gaskets fix the problem permanently and it would make a great project car.

Can anybody confirm/deny the 2.5?

I wouldn't be worried about the head gasket situation as part of my fun build would be doing some head work, which the gasket fix would be a part of.

Captain Crabsticks
Feb 17, 2007
gently caress!! how did i miss a subaru thread in AI?!?

anyhow, heres my scoobys
91 legacy, 2.2l a/t. i love this loving car. put in new pipe from the manifold back, no muffler, high flow cats, forester wheels w/ 225's, & replaced the whole sound system. been off the road for a few months now, blew my second 4eat and decided while i have everything out to go all out on it. have an eg33, harness, and ecu to swap, need a 5speed & all the fixins that for a good price. 4.11 preferred. anyone know someone?

now, to the 94 loyale. bought it right before the legacy's trans blew out for 500$. 1.8l fi w/ dual range 4x4 (trans swaped by PO or PPO, not sure). replaced a boatload of sensors, plugs, filters, ect and it gets 30+mpg on the highway and high 20s city. engine is solid, it needs a clutch but that can wait for warmer weather or another daily driver. interior exterior wise it's ok but underneath theres some body/frame rust that has to be dealt with. one thing that drives me crazy though, is it grinds 2nd almost every time unless i go into it real slow, i hear a lot about synchromesh fluid, would it help that out at all?

day i bought it

terrible picture from today

Captain Crabsticks fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 14, 2008

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Captain Crabsticks posted:

one thing that drives me crazy though, is it grinds 2nd almost every time unless i go into it real slow, i hear a lot about synchromesh fluid, would it help that out at all?

Pick up 2 quarts of Motul Gear300 75W90 and 2 quarts Redline Lightweight Shockproof. Drain and refill with a 50/50 mix of the stuff should take just under 4 quarts.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Mat_Drinks posted:

Can anybody confirm/deny the 2.5?

I wouldn't be worried about the head gasket situation as part of my fun build would be doing some head work, which the gasket fix would be a part of.

no outback sports had the 2.5 until 2002. Only the Legacy 2.5GT, Impreza RS, and Legacy Outback had the 2.5.

Also here's a good site for looking stuff like that up:

cars101.com

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Foresters got the 2.5 as well.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Cat Terrist posted:

Anything else on the car tho.... oh what a nice thing to work on. Had the suspension out to get rid of the dreaded strut knock (strut knock isn't dying struts, it's actually bad lubrication)

Did this affect the American GC8 series off the top of your head? My front left corner started clunking the other day going over speed bumps.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

the strut clunk happens on cars with inverted dampers, such as this one that is on my car:

There are rings of grease on the inner bearing surface of the housing. It eventually leaks out and wears down and the strut will clunk. The clunking is the insert sticking in the housing and you'll notice it at really low speeds. You can pop them apart, clean out the grease, and put in fresh stuff and the clunk will go away for a long time. If you let it go too long the inserts can get scored up though and it will always clunk.

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

nm posted:

Is the ring part of the wheel bearing on these cars then?
Or do they just share the same seal?
(I know nothing about ABS and would like to know something before i take it to the dealer tommorow)

Yep, all one piece. The ABS ring is hidden under the black rubberyou see at the top.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

choo choo
Nov 26, 2002

Cat Terrist posted:

Apart from the plugs, the WRX is really such a straightforward car to maintain or repair. I haven't really see anything that makes me wonder WTF they were thinking.

I really didn't have any problems changing the plugs on my '02, or my girlfriends '02. Took about 45mins for mine, then under 30 on hers.

$300 for a plug change is ludacris :colbert:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ChunksNensja posted:

Yep, all one piece. The ABS ring is hidden under the black rubberyou see at the top.
Ok, so my Subaru dealer may be trying to gently caress me ove ron this. It was the wheel bearing (Thanks for that diagnosis).
Now they seem to be preparing to claim that me or another shop tore the seal. This wouldn't be possible without removing the brake rotor, correct?
Because the last time the brake rotor was off was ~10-15k mi ago. (Wow, these HPSes have lasted a long time, given that that includes two (rain) track days at blackhawk)

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

I just picked up a 2001 Legacy GT Limited so this thread is wonderful to see. I was wondering if anyone could help guide me towards what brake pads I should be getting, as mine are just about shot. As much as I would like to try it, I don't really see any track time in the near future, but I would like to get some decent performance out of them. I believe I've seen people mention the HPS series as being being excellent for cars that see the track, but I think I'm looking for more of a daily use price performer. Any suggestions?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mutar posted:

I just picked up a 2001 Legacy GT Limited so this thread is wonderful to see. I was wondering if anyone could help guide me towards what brake pads I should be getting, as mine are just about shot. As much as I would like to try it, I don't really see any track time in the near future, but I would like to get some decent performance out of them. I believe I've seen people mention the HPS series as being being excellent for cars that see the track, but I think I'm looking for more of a daily use price performer. Any suggestions?
HPS are great for cars that don't see the track.
They're crappy track pads, fade city.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

Mr. Powers posted:

The sport grille is so bland compared to the stock '09 grille.

edit: Not ragging on your purchase, ordered one myself. I just see the sport grille now and it is so plain. In person you see right through it and there is just... nothing.

Toss some red Hella Supertones in there to spice things up.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
somebody please allay my fears... I dropped my car off to have the windows tinted a few minutes ago and I wanted non-metalized tint (can't do w/out my talk radio yo). so the jump in percentages was from 15%-35%... I opted for 15% because I would rather err on the side of more privacy but now I'm worried I'll go pick it up in a few hours and it'll be super dark.

does anybody have 15% tint on their subaru? please tell me it works fine.

nicad
Feb 21, 2004
damnit. :(

disassembled the DOJ and it looks fine. the races aren't beat up and the balls are in good shape. gonna get a new boot and repack it and hope for the best!

shot of my car:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MMD3 posted:

somebody please allay my fears... I dropped my car off to have the windows tinted a few minutes ago and I wanted non-metalized tint (can't do w/out my talk radio yo). so the jump in percentages was from 15%-35%... I opted for 15% because I would rather err on the side of more privacy but now I'm worried I'll go pick it up in a few hours and it'll be super dark.

does anybody have 15% tint on their subaru? please tell me it works fine.

15% in the front seems a little dark to me. In the back it's not so bad. The best thing to do is always keep your mirrors and windows clean so you get a clear view.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

CharlesM posted:

15% in the front seems a little dark to me. In the back it's not so bad. The best thing to do is always keep your mirrors and windows clean so you get a clear view.

yeah, it's a little dark after driving around with it at night but I think it'll work fine. I was trying to get an even look all around and the jump from 15 to 35 just seemed really large. If I get hassled about it maybe I'll have the front's re-done at 35 but for now I like the looks of it a lot. I'll take some pics in the next couple days here.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

cmorrow001 posted:

Another question. I need some budget snow tires for my stock rims for here in MI. What should I get. (05 WRX)

The cheaper and longer life the better, but mild snow performance would be nice.

Thanks

Any suggestions?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

cmorrow001 posted:

Any suggestions?

I've used winterforce with good results, and they're the cheapest thing firestone has listed right now by about $40 a tire. Blizzaks are badass also, I have a friend that uses them on a couple cars; Unfortunately they're much more expensive.

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

nm posted:

Ok, so my Subaru dealer may be trying to gently caress me ove ron this. It was the wheel bearing (Thanks for that diagnosis).
Now they seem to be preparing to claim that me or another shop tore the seal. This wouldn't be possible without removing the brake rotor, correct?
Because the last time the brake rotor was off was ~10-15k mi ago. (Wow, these HPSes have lasted a long time, given that that includes two (rain) track days at blackhawk)
The only way to damage it yourself would be if you removed the driveshaft. I've never seen one damaged by negligence, it's usually driving on lots of rough and dirty roads. And it's not really an uncommon problem so when they are trying to deny you warranty on it ask them why they didn't correctly diagnose the problem the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

cmorrow001 posted:

Any suggestions?

Blizzaks are only 50% winter compound, and when that wears down you be running on all-season compound. Better off getting a true dedicated snow compound tire.

Tirerack has a few that will fit an 05 WRX for $75-110/tire, which is probably as cheap as you're going to get unless you grab a no name or store brand at something like Costco or WalMart. The Dunlop