Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ChunksNensja posted:

The only way to damage it yourself would be if you removed the driveshaft. I've never seen one damaged by negligence, it's usually driving on lots of rough and dirty roads. And it's not really an uncommon problem so when they are trying to deny you warranty on it ask them why they didn't correctly diagnose the problem the first time.
I think i may be fighting subaru on this one. Yay.
Looking at the part (which i've kept), the sensor ring is just made very cheaply. I could damage it with a fingernail -- how exactly did this seem like a good idea to subaru?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Hooray, Subaru thread!

I've bought a '06 WRX wagon barely used (~2900 miles, seriously) a couple of years ago. Still stock (poor college student) but at some point soon I'll probably start with the AccessPort and Whitelines.

A great car that's absolutely never let me down, and a hell of a lot of fun to drive, as well. Now I just have to figure out what I want to do with it...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CharlesM posted:

I got an alignment on my '99 Forester and it seems to have fallen out of alignment again. Is this like my old Volvo where it's caused by worn out suspension bushings of some kind?

Anybody have an idea on this one? Could it be tie-rod ends? The car also vibrates from 25-35 mph.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

MMD3 posted:

an engineer on saab92x.com designed and manufactures these short shifters and seems to garner a lot of praise. I'd love if anybody who has tried them could chime in or anybody who knows what to look for. They're a good $100 or so cheaper than the Cobb and seems to be fully adjustable.

http://www.ixizconcept.com/
frames but go to Control > Shifter ixizShift II

I'm very interested in this shifter as it seems to do everything the Cobb one does for half the price. Now I just need to find some reviews of people who have used it.

Apparently a piece of the metal surround has to be bent or ground down for it to install. And drat this guy makes some nice stuff, I'm going to order the EBC, short shifter and the clutch stop :hellyeah:

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 16, 2008

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Is there a good reason that my local dealer wants to charge $100 to change the cabin air filter on my '08 legacy?
Even after compensating for inflated dealer prices on everything, that sounds like a LOT for an air filter?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The worst thing about driving a worked WRX for a DD right now is that I get home and look at my car and get dirty thoughts :( I suspect it wont stay standard now for long.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

CharlesM posted:

15% in the front seems a little dark to me. In the back it's not so bad. The best thing to do is always keep your mirrors and windows clean so you get a clear view.

I had 5% on mine when I bought it. I just took it off because I couldn't see poo poo out of them in the winter. It sucks to have to roll down the window 4" to back out of a parking spot at night.

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
How hosed is my transmission? I have an 04 WRX and I was parked on a hill with the front of my car facing down, so I had my car with the e-brake up and the car in gear (reverse) because it's a pretty steep hill. I forgot my car was in gear so I dropped the clutch without thinking, and my car jerked real hard and made a pretty high pitched whirring sound. I started driving and the sound went away, I drove about a mile to my friends apartment. When I got there, I put the car in reverse and it made a horrible, horrible metal grinding sound. It was also difficult for me to get it in first after that. I'm getting it towed tomorrow to a dealership, but does anybody know what I'm looking at?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

TurboLuvah posted:

I'm very interested in this shifter as it seems to do everything the Cobb one does for half the price. Now I just need to find some reviews of people who have used it.

Apparently a piece of the metal surround has to be bent or ground down for it to install. And drat this guy makes some nice stuff, I'm going to order the EBC, short shifter and the clutch stop :hellyeah:

he has a very loyal following over at the saab92x.com forums, go check out what people say. seems like a good dude. I haven't read anything about needing to trim it down but maybe there's a difference with the WRX.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Alpine Mustache posted:

Is there a good reason that my local dealer wants to charge $100 to change the cabin air filter on my '08 legacy?
Even after compensating for inflated dealer prices on everything, that sounds like a LOT for an air filter?
On an 05, it's even worse. First time you have to remove the glovebox. You guys get a door that should make it easy. DIY.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Bombtrack posted:

How hosed is my transmission? I have an 04 WRX and I was parked on a hill with the front of my car facing down, so I had my car with the e-brake up and the car in gear (reverse) because it's a pretty steep hill. I forgot my car was in gear so I dropped the clutch without thinking, and my car jerked real hard and made a pretty high pitched whirring sound. I started driving and the sound went away, I drove about a mile to my friends apartment. When I got there, I put the car in reverse and it made a horrible, horrible metal grinding sound. It was also difficult for me to get it in first after that. I'm getting it towed tomorrow to a dealership, but does anybody know what I'm looking at?

I take it you couldn't back up when in reverse? You probably shredded the idler gear, the teeth for gear engagement or one of the other reverse gears. The horrible grinding sound is teeth not engaging and knocking against each other a bunch of times per revolution. The whirring sound you heard is probably related to the metal shavings and chunks floating around in the oil.

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008

Cat Terrist posted:

The worst thing about driving a worked WRX for a DD right now is that I get home and look at my car and get dirty thoughts :( I suspect it wont stay standard now for long.

The worst thing for me is god forbid I take it up anywhere near 3k rpm from a stop in first gear (with a TBE so the revs are more pronounced). Everyone from taxis to soccer moms in minivans smash the go pedal because they think im racing them. It is however slowly getting more and more amusing than it is annoying.

And by standard I am assuming you mean "stock"? If so, then you should know that my Cobb "Stage 2" WRX gets rather squirrely in first, even with an audible leak of somekind somewhere no doubt robbing some power. Its scary now that I think of it.

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004

TurboLuvah posted:

Blizzaks are only 50% winter compound, and when that wears down you be running on all-season compound. Better off getting a true dedicated snow compound tire.

Tirerack has a few that will fit an 05 WRX for $75-110/tire, which is probably as cheap as you're going to get unless you grab a no name or store brand at something like Costco or WalMart. The Dunlop

Hankook Icebears checking in. This is the performance orientated model that gives up a little snow traction for less boat-like action on the road, you don't even think you're driving on snows. Still works provides forward motion during motherfucker 2 foot snowstorms. As per 1st pic I was pushing snow up to the front bumper though I will admit once I slowed down I got stuck in the driveway and had to back 'n forth 3x to get into the garage.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Mission accomplished, and yes I was driving with the rear defrost ON.

Me-262 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 16, 2008

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

nm posted:

On an 05, it's even worse. First time you have to remove the glovebox. You guys get a door that should make it easy. DIY.

Oh God, does that ever suck to do. They installed the door halfway through MY05 if I remember correctly, it's super easy. Do it yourself!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Bud Manstrong posted:

Oh God, does that ever suck to do. They installed the door halfway through MY05 if I remember correctly, it's super easy. Do it yourself!
I still have no cabin airfilter.
I'm too lazy to DIY and to cheap to pay someone to remove my loving glovebox.
Also, everyone else's LGT transmission sucks right? And reverse is hard to get into?

nm fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 16, 2008

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
My LGT's transmission was loving butter, Cobb SS, bushings, and Smurfblood/Mutul fluid, smooth perfect shifts :). But yes, reverse was sometimes a PITA to get into, but it's like that pretty much every manual transmission car I've driven, old or new. Next time you can't get it into reverse, try putting it into first (or fourth) then trying reverse.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

TurboLuvah posted:

My LGT's transmission was loving butter, Cobb SS, bushings, and Smurfblood/Mutul fluid, smooth perfect shifts :). But yes, reverse was sometimes a PITA to get into, but it's like that pretty much every manual transmission car I've driven, old or new. Next time you can't get it into reverse, try putting it into first (or fourth) then trying reverse.

I find if you put it in first and move forward just a bit then you can shift into reverse easy as pie.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

TurboLuvah posted:

The exception to this seems to be Hondas. Hondas have gearboxes made from love and fluffy pillows of steel or something.

This thread makes me wish I had a lot more money :(

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Wrar posted:

The exception to this seems to be Hondas. Hondas have gearboxes made from love and fluffy pillows of steel or something.

Honda's also have the best sounding straight cut reverse gears ever. I love hearing a Honda back up.

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

I take it you couldn't back up when in reverse? You probably shredded the idler gear, the teeth for gear engagement or one of the other reverse gears. The horrible grinding sound is teeth not engaging and knocking against each other a bunch of times per revolution. The whirring sound you heard is probably related to the metal shavings and chunks floating around in the oil.

It actually moves when I put it in reverse, it just sounds horrendous.

te
Jun 19, 2006
werd

spodermang posted:

I just got a 2009 WRX. It's a step up from my old 2001 Passat.

Congrats on the purchase.
I love the 09's and would kill for one in white. There's a WRB one that has started parking near me in my school parking lot and I practically get a boner every time I see it. Just hurry up and get those horrid taillights tinted red.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

WRX no longer standard. It's got pink bits.

And then it's getting Spec C bits

With a few Group N bits.

gently caress. Wallet rape time.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
You're generally better off not going out and buying everything in the SPT or whatever you guys have catalog.

Our sti suspension is what's on the spec c, and is what is on my car. It's pretty good once you cut the front bumpstops and slot the holes, especially if you get them cheap. It's a little harsh though and there may be better options depending on your budget.

group N parts are good but I would get cusco motor and trans mounts instead, and probably camber plates because it's impossible to get a decent performance alignment out of the stock bolts. Plus you can add a boatload of caster with them in crooked.

jamal fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 16, 2008

spodermang
Aug 12, 2004

just your neighborhood friendly spodermang

te posted:

Congrats on the purchase.
I love the 09's and would kill for one in white. There's a WRB one that has started parking near me in my school parking lot and I practically get a boner every time I see it. Just hurry up and get those horrid taillights tinted red.

I can't afford to do that right now, let alone I have no idea what you're talking about. Thanks though

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I'm not touching Cusco except if it's in the diffs. And Tein can go to hell too. Suspension plans are more in the order of like I usually do - track work, test a few options then go stupid with DMS or MCA with a visit to the local machine shop.

Whatever it is, it'll mirror the now very much on new project.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

TurboLuvah posted:

But yes, reverse was sometimes a PITA to get into, but it's like that pretty much every manual transmission car I've driven, old or new. Next time you can't get it into reverse, try putting it into first (or fourth) then trying reverse.
I consider that hard to go into.
The car i learned on was an Audi A4 and for all it's faults the transmission in that car was awesome. And reverse was easy as pie to get into.
I have the kartboy bushings, which has made it better. I'm putting extra-S in the gearbox as soon as I can, hopefully that'll help.

My trackday got cancelled. I now have to wait until Apirl to see how my XP-10s work :(

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004
Tien = LOL. They are the BOSE of the Subaru world, excellent marking with mediocre performance.

Dr. Ninja
Jun 19, 2002
I have french fries in my pants. This is funny because sometimes when I go to the alphabet soup, the touchlamp yes.
Anyone else made the transition from a WRX to a Forester? Is driving even fun anymore? I'm currently shopping around for an ~04 or 05 because I need more space to store poo poo and I could use a little extra cash in the pocket. I'm tempted to go down to the X or XS to save on fuel but I don't know if I can let go of the turbo AWD.

Also, how much more likely am I to get the girlfriend to have a threesome with a lesbian?

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008

Dr. Ninja posted:

Anyone else made the transition from a WRX to a Forester? Is driving even fun anymore? I'm currently shopping around for an ~04 or 05 because I need more space to store poo poo and I could use a little extra cash in the pocket. I'm tempted to go down to the X or XS to save on fuel but I don't know if I can let go of the turbo AWD.

Also, how much more likely am I to get the girlfriend to have a threesome with a lesbian?

I started out buying a 04 forester xt 5 speed. Ive never driven a wrx of any sort, though, so I cant say if its less fun. Mine has an accessport, but is otherwise stock.
It is loving fun. Its a total blast to drive. The turbo makes me giggle a little bit. Cant wait for some decent exhaust bits.
Also, I made the move to the forester from a lowered volvo 850. Being able to bomb over bumps, brick roads, driveways and whatever else gets in my way is soooooooo nice.
And I havent asked the girlfriend about a threesome, but it did let me help her move. So maybe ill ask and say 'But baby, I helped you MOVE!'

To those of you who have driven both, how similar is the xt to a wrx?

hedgegnome fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 17, 2008

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

hedgegnome posted:

To those of you who have driven both, how similar is the xt to a wrx?

The Forester STI is extremely close in performance to the WRX STI, so it can be made to handle quite nicely. However, stock-to-stock, I'm sure the WRX is much better.

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004

Dr. Ninja posted:

Anyone else made the transition from a WRX to a Forester? Is driving even fun anymore?

I came from having owned a few Legacys and was going to get a WRX until the Forester XT came out. Most of the guys who run turbos in the local Subie club have WRX sedan/wagons, I've been in and driven plenty. One reason I went XT was for the space, there's noticeably more in an XT than a WRX wagon. The insurance is cheaper as well, nobidy drives an XT around here so the rates are barely more than the base X/XS models.Acceleration wise the XT is quicker.

Stock the handling sucks, I just swapped back to OEM suspension (for the winter ) from running coilovers all summer. All I can say is , Is it mid April yet ? That said, it doesn't cost much to make a Forester handle well.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

oRenj9 posted:

The Forester STI is extremely close in performance to the WRX STI, so it can be made to handle quite nicely. However, stock-to-stock, I'm sure the WRX is much better.

Forester STI? If you mean XT, is it really that close to the WRX STi?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Forester STI? If you mean XT, is it really that close to the WRX STi?

The Forester can take to mods very well. However stock, it's pretty soft.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

nm posted:

The Forester can take to mods very well. However stock, it's pretty soft.

Hunh. I had no idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x18goizbqs4

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I went from Forester XT to WRX.

Straightline, I think the XT will get the WRX up to about 120kph but after that the WRX walks away.

Handling wise, the Forester is more limted by tyres. Get rid of the Geolanders, theya re terrible. If you are a lunatic, a XT can be thrown into corners a lot harder than it looks it should have any right to be. WRX will still blow it's rear end away tho.

You can drive them drat hard and they will keep going. I've been known to have all four brakes and exhaust glowing red/orange after a decent fang - Plus the gearbox is definatly stronger than a WRX's. No subsitute for a WRX if your on a flyer tho.... fantastic to mod tho. They respond incredibly well.

te
Jun 19, 2006
werd

spodermang posted:

I can't afford to do that right now, let alone I have no idea what you're talking about. Thanks though

Your tastes may be different, but I can't stand clear taillights. So, if you too feel as I do; you can, with some work, tint the inside of the taillights with red spray tint or buy red taillight film. I, personally, think that would make a world of difference, but that's just me.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Parking at a local watering hole. The owner (a friend) had dumped a pile of dirt and all the parking spots were taken so I parked here.

Best winter car I have ever owned. I bought it with 149,000 miles on the clock. It has 181,000 today. I just changed the front half shafts for $75 ea lifetime warranty from Parts America because they were making a racket.

Here I came in on a train (I'm an engineer) and found it in my parking spot at the depot.

We don't need no stinking shovel!

Anyhow I test drove a replacement recently. A clean 1997 Legacy wagon (stick) with 135k on the clock. I inspected it and all seems sound. The airbox is even paint pen marked "rear diff oil changed xxxxx miles xx date" One of the front boots is about to split (I can see the tale tale checking in the rubber and mild weeping). The car books for $3850 retail and they are asking $4300. Everything works even the power stuff, good AC etc. He told me that he would go "down" to $4k.

Should I bother?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Tell him $4k sounds good, but you'll need to take the cost of that upcoming repair off the price.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

ab0z posted:

Tell him $4k sounds good, but you'll need to take the cost of that upcoming repair off the price.

that is why he went "down" to $4k from $4300

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
One trick I've seen work is show up with a wad of cash. If you show up with $3850 in hand, they'll have a hard time saying "no". (and by cash I mean ready money, not "I'll talk to my bank and see about financing'.)
I saw a friend show up to buy an STi for 23k at this guy's place. He walked around the car and started ticking off things on a clip board and hacking off the price. Then he was like "well, I don't think it's worth more than 19. but really I'd rather pay 18.5. Should I write the check?" and they took it. (he later sold the car for 23k after fixing 2-3 minor cosmetic items).