Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yooooo... I'm looking at a few Impreza 2.5RSeseseses (GC chassis?) and I have a few questions...

What's an extraordinarily good coilover package? I've seen that KW V3s might be available and some old references to Ohlins that lead to absolutely nowhere.

Appreciate the help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Fortune seems to do well. A friend’s time attack car is sponsored by them and I’d consider them. If you want a bit more off road / rally cross centric, feal has made a name for the selves there. I’ve not owned or driven either. But people I respect have them and say good things.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
I'm running ohlins on my VA and they are fantastic.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
MCA. Dial in your budget and enjoy

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

my friend (a heterosexual woman) just referred to the wing that the first owner deleted from my sti as "douchey" so im thinking that wing delete may have been a blessing in disguise

im already driving a boyracer sedan in WORDL RALLEYE BLUE with scoops and vents and poo poo, she's probably right. if i ever decide to start flipping thirtysomething straight boys though i am absolutely set

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 6, 2023

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Cactus Ghost posted:

my friend (a heterosexual woman) just referred to the wing that the first owner deleted from my sti as "douchey" so im thinking that wing delete may have been a blessing in disguise

im already driving a boyracer sedan in WORDL RALLEYE BLUE with scoops and vents and poo poo, she's probably right. if i ever decide to start flipping thirtysomething straight boys though i am absolutely set

the OEM wing is good, op

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

My 2010 WRX (~170k miles) spends most of it's time these days sitting in the driveway with the battery disconnected. I drive it maybe once a month on average for longer trips, or when I can't drive the Z cause I forgot to charge it.

I keep up on oil changes but otherwise the Subaru is a bit neglected. For at least several months (maybe 500 miles) there has been a noticeable vibration coming from what I thought was the front driver side. I figured maybe the wheel bearing went out or something. Every time I'd drive it I'd think, "poo poo, that doesn't feel/sound good, I really need to take a look at that" but then it sits another month and I'd forget.

This weekend I finally got around to jacking up the car and taking a look under there. This is what greeted me on the passenger side:

So my question for the thread is, what else might be going on that I should look out for here? Knowing that I drove probably 500+ miles with a torn/non-existent inner CV boot on one side, what else should I confirm isn't hosed before I clean it out, re-grease and replace the boot?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

consider just swapping out the whole axle; if the design of the knuckle didnt change since 95 then you can do it without touching any alignment bolts

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

When I was looking for cv boot replacement guides online, I found several which warned against using non-oem axel swaps because of quality concerns. Is this overblown? Can I just grab something off Rock Auto and slap it in there?

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've got two axles from Rockauto on the front of my Legacy, and it's been fine :shrug:

I think they were Trackmotive, but could have been Cardone. New, no core required. Which also means I still have a pair of used axles in the corner of the garage, waiting for the "never happening" day when I strip them down and clean/reboot them.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I think it’s overblown in many cases. I used OEM axles in my Legacy because it was making a lot more power and the inner boots on the aftermarket axles on the passenger side kept getting torn because they are so close to the hot downpipe. On my Forester I used really cheap axles from Rock Auto and they have been fine.

I have heard they can make some noise with auto cars in some cases though, but not sure how common that is.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

mutata posted:

I didn't really listen to any of you, sorry.

drat, I guess I'm not the only one who likes Geyser Blue. I've already put 10k miles on my '24 driving to places with waves , seems to be holding up well to my abuse so far. I take it through very deep sand on a regular basis and its been really good, haven't missed having a "real" 4x4 yet.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

sw0cb posted:

drat, I guess I'm not the only one who likes Geyser Blue. I've already put 10k miles on my '24 driving to places with waves , seems to be holding up well to my abuse so far. I take it through very deep sand on a regular basis and its been really good, haven't missed having a "real" 4x4 yet.

I would assume that a modern Outback is more of a "real" 4x4 than pretty much anything short of Wranglers/Broncos!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

amenenema posted:

I would assume that a modern Outback is more of a "real" 4x4 than pretty much anything short of Wranglers/Broncos!

https://i.imgur.com/KfJ68uB.mp4

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

This is my sons 13 legacy. He and a friend recently changed the bulb in the headlight and had to go through the wheel well splash guard. Couple weeks later there’s a bug noise as he’s driving down the freeway and looks like the whole splash guard popped off and the tire ripped it off.

Thankfully looks like no damage other than the splash guard itself. Remarkably, the hose for the windshield washers was hanging right out and dangling on the moving wheel and didn’t get damaged.

Ok here’s my question there’s a harness that runs to the winshieldmwasher reservoir. I found one connector not attached and maybe the other one..? They don’t look like they reach to touch though so not sure. I’m getting Haynes book from the library later but maybe in the meantime the internet can help me.

Do these two connect to each other or maybe to other places?

These are from the drivers side front wheel

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

The grime on the inside of the second plug would lead me to believe that has never been plugged in. And the first one doesn't look to fit the second, so I don't think they connect.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

First one looks to be a fog light plug, the other one looks like a plug for a second washer pump.

Does your model have fog lights or a rear windshield sprayer?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Guess what today is? That's right.....clutch day.

Bad throw out bearing on the 08 with 190k. Local machine shop is closed so I have no way to get a flywheel surfaced in any reasonable amount of time should I need it, all parts had to be ordered so I just got everything because my time is worth more than waiting on parts while this thing is on quickjacks stuck in my barn. Also, OEMs are very aware that aftermarket parts suck and are charging accordingly. That's an $800 pile right there.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Bajaha posted:

First one looks to be a fog light plug, the other one looks like a plug for a second washer pump.

Does your model have fog lights or a rear windshield sprayer?

No and no. Thanks!

theOctagon
Apr 22, 2005

I bet you are wondering what I call my penis... it's the
Does anyone want some pink STI side emblems? Used but in good condition. They came with my car and I’ll realistically never use them so I may as well pass them along. No charge, just pay shipping. PM me.

I believe they are these: https://subimods.com/products/molde...BSABEgLj4_D_BwE

Majere
Oct 22, 2005
I think the extra plug is there for dual pumps, like if ya got a wagon with a rear washer. I know my legacy sedan has 2 plugs (one red, one black) there, but only 1 pump.

Also, I need to do the oem fogs on my STI, there's a good write up on iwsti. Seems most all of the wiring is already in the cabin, just need to put a relay in the junction box behind the glove box and run 2 wires from the fuse holder in the engine bay to the bumper. Using the JDM bezels with fog holes and DRL/sequential blinkers, and the headlight stalk from a Forester which has a foglight switch on it. I already installed the stalk, and the little foglight light lights up on the dash even w/o the relay or lights in so thats a good sign!

Why does subaru do dumb things like not having fog lights/driving lights on the highest trim? All the poo poo is in the same harness you put in every car anyway, wtf.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Have a quick question on the Forester. We are in the market for a new vehicle as my kids are getting older and want to downsize from the three row family truckster. Will very rarely be have my three teenage boys in the back at the same time (as one is getting his license, god help me) but when they are back there want to have a vehicle that is manageable, especially for a 4ish hour car ride each way once a year. I see reports that the Forester has a very spacious backseat compared to its competitors. I believe my friend has a 2019 which looks like the current generation, can I use his as the amount of space I can expect on any year in the generation or have there been subtle differences within the generation?

Thanks!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

TraderStav posted:

Have a quick question on the Forester. We are in the market for a new vehicle as my kids are getting older and want to downsize from the three row family truckster. Will very rarely be have my three teenage boys in the back at the same time (as one is getting his license, god help me) but when they are back there want to have a vehicle that is manageable, especially for a 4ish hour car ride each way once a year. I see reports that the Forester has a very spacious backseat compared to its competitors. I believe my friend has a 2019 which looks like the current generation, can I use his as the amount of space I can expect on any year in the generation or have there been subtle differences within the generation?

Thanks!

https://cardimensions.net/subaru/forester/ will let you check specs per trim model per year. Looks like 2019 and 2022 base models both have 39.4" of legroom. https://www.cars101.com/forester.html also is great if you need very specific info about models' dimensions for whatever reason, but their last entry appears to be 2018.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

tetrapyloctomy posted:

https://cardimensions.net/subaru/forester/ will let you check specs per trim model per year. Looks like 2019 and 2022 base models both have 39.4" of legroom. https://www.cars101.com/forester.html also is great if you need very specific info about models' dimensions for whatever reason, but their last entry appears to be 2018.

Ah great, this website will be a very helpful tool all around. Thank you!

Ulesi
Aug 30, 2023

mutata posted:

Homeboy at the dealership I'm working with told me I could just write a check, heh.

Its sounds dumb but yeah. I actually used a credit card to pay in full at a used dealership once. It was an 03 Lexus IS300 for about $8k. When I asked how I could pay I just joked "credit card" and the dude didn't bat an eye and started pulling up the payment form. So much better than financing through them for 50% interest.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bawfuls posted:

When I was looking for cv boot replacement guides online, I found several which warned against using non-oem axel swaps because of quality concerns. Is this overblown? Can I just grab something off Rock Auto and slap it in there?
update on this: After several hours of wrestling with this on Friday, a trip to Autozone for a ball joint separator, and another go around today, I finally noticed that the diameter of the splined transmission side end is not the same as the old one I removed (new one is about 3mm smaller). I went back to my Rock Auto order and discovered that I'd bought a rear axel instead of a front one. And of course since I greased it up and banged it around a bit (no spline or thread damage) they won't accept a return. Guess I've got a spare rear now.

Hopefully I can get the proper one installed more easily some time this week...

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 5, 2023

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Any suggestions for removing the lateral link bolt on a GD WRX? I'm slowly working my way around it, removing the lateral links from the subframe, but that's not particularly easy either.

I'm getting closer and closer to just buying all new parts rather than trying to use these. I already need a bunch of parts that have rusted out. I still need to strip them off the donor, though.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

carticket posted:

Any suggestions for removing the lateral link bolt on a GD WRX? I'm slowly working my way around it, removing the lateral links from the subframe, but that's not particularly easy either.

I'm getting closer and closer to just buying all new parts rather than trying to use these. I already need a bunch of parts that have rusted out. I still need to strip them off the donor, though.

Do you mean the long Jesus bolt? Just cut it off.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

daslog posted:

Do you mean the long Jesus bolt? Just cut it off.

I was really hoping there was going to be an easier annoying method.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

carticket posted:

I was really hoping there was going to be an easier annoying method.

I got lucky once on my rallycar by soaking it in 50/50 ATF / Acetone for 2 weeks straight and then impacting it off. Even if you have to do it by hand with a hacksaw, you are better off just cutting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea9Z--BUm4c

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I just bought both LH and RH rear spindle assemblies used off eBay (in okay condition). If I can get this all apart, then I have spare parts. I'll probably just buy new lateral links and trailing arms. Might as well have new stuff on a new(ish) car build.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Ok, so cutting the jesus bolt. I invested in a carbide tipped 8tpi blade for my reciprocating saw and that blade was worth every penny.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

well i got my first check engine light since buying my 04 sti in september. fluid levels are all fine, it sounds like its running fine, no oil pressure light. i did not know that a CEL disables the cruise control lol

time to buy a code reader

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Nov 12, 2023

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

carticket posted:

Ok, so cutting the jesus bolt. I invested in a carbide tipped 8tpi blade for my reciprocating saw and that blade was worth every penny.

Congrats! When you put the new one in, give the entire bolt a bath in anti-seize. You might actually have a chance to get it loose next time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cactus Ghost posted:

i did not know that a CEL disables the cruise control lol

So annoying. And jarring when you're minding your own business with the CC on going down the highway.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Cactus Ghost posted:

well i got my first check engine light since buying my 04 sti in september. fluid levels are all fine, it sounds like its running fine, no oil pressure light. i did not know that a CEL disables the cruise control lol

time to buy a code reader

In our 2004 it was a bad ground somewhere (shop diagnosed/fixed it)

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren: AISS 2023: This Wednesday 11/22 is the last day to sign up! :frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:

Did you catch a joke probation, make a super embarrassing post complaining about it, and need some holiday cheer to get you back in the shitposting spirit?

Then sign up for Automotive Insanity's Secret Santa! Some goon will send you a random assortment of items, mostly some broken car parts, and there is an option for penis-emblazonment. I have enjoyed it so much over the years that I volunteered to pick up the mantle from slothrop and organize it for 2023. So come on down and spread the holiday cheeks cheer!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Got new trans and engine mounts on my outback and now I can't tell when my car is running from the inside

I should have done this years ago

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Hey all,

The rear defrost/defogger grid on my '11 WRX Limited (hatch) isn't working.

The button lights up, I can hear the relay click, and the heated mirrors work, but nothing happens on the rear window.

If the switch and relay are working, could it be as simple as a fuse? Is it separate from the heated mirrors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majere
Oct 22, 2005
If its anything like the legacy, the wires in the hinge are frayed/broken